PDA

View Full Version : New trick I saw on youtube for pullin cast bullets

poppopdingding
03-23-2016, 10:14 PM
Check this out...
I tried it and it beats the hammer puller method...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMAuc9dTH9k

Schrag4
03-23-2016, 10:51 PM
I just might have to pick one of those up someday. Looks a lot easier than whackin' that hammer. I always found that with the hammer, I had to loosen/re-tighten the end after every 3 whacks or else it would open up slightly and the cartridge would slip out - very annoying.

M-Tecs
03-23-2016, 11:02 PM
Collet pullers are OK but the Foster's super fast pullers possum type are awesome. The don't make them anymore. You still can find them on ebay.

Pulled thousands of 308 ball for Mexican match with them.

VHoward
03-23-2016, 11:12 PM
I have one of those. Works well for me.

Mica_Hiebert
03-23-2016, 11:46 PM
I like mine. The collet are caliber specific so you have to get quite an a sort ment but other than that it is allot better than the hammer pullers.

3006guns
03-24-2016, 12:09 AM
I have an RCBS puller with many collets and it works well. There are times, however, when the proper collet isn't available or the bullet shape won't let the collet grip like it should.........just like shown in the video. There's no need for that socket though.........just run the ram all the way up until the bullet is above the press top, grab it with a pair of nippers or pliers...even vise grips....and lower the ram....poink! Yes, the bullets will have marks on them but since you're usually trying to save only the case it's not much of a loss.

Lots faster than fumbling with the socket.

dikman
03-24-2016, 01:54 AM
I do the same as 3006guns, simple and effective.

David2011
03-24-2016, 03:35 PM
Yes, no need for the socket as 3006guns said. Raise the boolit above the press, grasp with dykes and pull smoothly. No need to slam the ram down. If you want to re-use a copper clad bullet then the collet puller is a great tool. If you want to re-use a boolit the only option is an inertia puller unless the boolit has long, straight sides like the RCBS 165 gr .30 cal SIL boolit. I've done all three.

David

Bayou52
03-24-2016, 03:41 PM
Instead of a socket, I use a small piece of PCV with a little larger diameter than the ram on the press. Same principal, though.

Also, some bullets (depending on size) can be saved by pulling them with a coaxial crimping tool instead of a pair of ordinary pliers. Here's a pic and a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Coaxial-Crimping-Tool-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B0001GGXPY

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41MTGGVESBL._SY355_.jpg

Tenbender
03-24-2016, 10:20 PM
Old news. I have been using one of these for 40 years.

hunter49
03-24-2016, 10:48 PM
poppopdingding thanks for the info, I've not tried the rcbs bullet puller. I use the hornady cam-lock bullet puller which is similar to the rcbs. It works really well and I prefer it over the kinetic hammer method.

mdi
03-26-2016, 01:11 PM
FWIW: I bought a collet style puller several years ago thinking it would work on all my bullets. Nope, can't pull and cast bullets and a collet is needed for each caliber. Since 95% of any bullet pulling I need to do is cast bullets, I put the collet puller away, somewhere. I use an impact tool for everything now, and it's a breeze. But I don't whack my bench or floor, too loud. I have a lead ingot/slab 1 1/2" thick about 4x6 that I use for an anvil, quieter than the bench, floor or chunk of wood and seems to work better than those. The impact is deadened just enough to lower the "whack" but not enough to deter the inertia of the bullet...

I also make slugs for barrel slugging and hardness testing. For a barrel slug, I'll pour soft lead in a case of the appropriate caliber, and remove the slug from the case with my impact puller. For hardness testing, I fill a case (mostly a .44 Magnum case), pull the slug with my impact tool, and use that to test a batch/alloy.

gunnut1
03-31-2016, 10:34 PM
Collet pullers are the cat's meow. They beat the heck out of the hammer. The only down side is they tend to leave a mark on the bullet and sometime they simply cannot get a grip on a bullet and out comes the hammer. I havve own a HOrnady and RCBS collet puller. I prefer the RCBS over the Hornady but they both work equally well. The RCBS puller is a screw mechanism and the hornady is a lever affair. And I am a huge RCBS fan.

Spend the bucks and get one. You will not be sorry!

wistlepig1
03-31-2016, 11:25 PM
Like 3006 said, has worked for cast the last 40+ years.

country gent
03-31-2016, 11:31 PM
There are several simple things to pulling bullets that work well. I have a couple of the forester super fast and have made others up not hard with a lathe and some wide spring steel banding for the collet. The pipe over the ram and pliers work also. I have bored bullet dia holes in 6" channel locks to use for this .020 of cardboard between the jaws and drill correct size hole thru jaws and polish to size. this pulls bullets with little marring. I recently did a pair of slip joints ground jaws out .200 on each side and cut a groove in them with a dremil tool. clamped the to a piece of flat stock sealed end with tape and tape on center line to keep jaws seperate. Filled in with jb weld and let cure drilled clamp hole thru jb weld. working great and dont marr bullets but are caliber specific also. if you do the slip joints right and fill in the "pipe section" and jaws you could get 2 bullet calibers in them fairly easily. Cheep slip joints work great for this. Another way would be a set of inserts for the jawsbut would require more work making them

gwpercle
04-01-2016, 05:14 PM
That's not really a big trick, RCBS has been selling those for years.
I thought I was going to see a way to pull a boolit with some home made tool or kitchen gadget !
The crimping tool bullet puller is nifty , I have two pair , modified for different dia. boolits and they work well .
Gary

GOPHER SLAYER
04-01-2016, 09:06 PM
I had a Forster collet type puller for many years. It was a pain. I had plenty of collets but I just couldn't make it work. If the jacketed bullet was long and straight sided it worked but I never was able to pull a bullet from the 223 or 45ACP. It gathered dust until I sold it on this site last month, gave it away actually.

flashhole
04-09-2016, 04:29 PM
The new trick was at the end of the video when he was using a large socket and a pair of pliers.

Don Fischer
04-09-2016, 09:51 PM
That trick with the socket and vice grip's was new to me. I bet it does ruin the bullet though I have an RCBS puller, had it longer than I can remember. Never use it. I have never had it pull a bullet as easy as he did it and I have ruined every bullet I ever pulled with it. I use the hammer puller exclusively. Stuff a piece of sponge in the bottom to keep from damaging the tips or, what I do, couple good swats to get the bullet moving then just tap to get it out. haven't ruined a bullet tip in years. With cast lubed bullet's I'd try that socket trick. With the hammer lubed bullet's come out with powder stuck to them and I throw then back in the pot. So ruining a cast bullet is no big thing. Of course I haven't pulled a PD bullet yet and I hope the powder doesn't stick to them! I've known people in the past that run the ram up through the hole for the die. Then grab the bullet with a pair of pliers and pull down. Pliers tighten as you go but always seemed to me that you'd risk harming the threads pulling down on them. I bet any machinist could make an insert to screw down into the threads and protect them. The good part of that is one set of pliers fits all bullet's!

That guy on youtube almost put me to sleep!

flashhole
04-10-2016, 07:31 AM
It was painful watching it all the way to the end. I've used the method of running the round up through the threaded hole and using pliers to clamp the bullet but I lay it cross-ways so there is no risk of buggering up the threads.

flashhole
04-10-2016, 07:36 AM
I use this.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v69/GuideGun/bulletpuller.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/GuideGun/media/bulletpuller.jpg.html)

marlinman93
05-08-2016, 09:13 PM
I've had a set of those RCBS collet pullers and an assortment of collets for a couple decades. Bought them used at a gun show cheap, and figured they'd work better than the RCBS kinetic puller. It's not as fast, and bullets grabbed by the collet sometimes slip out, especially spire point bullets. The other issue is lead bullets. They easily deform in the collet, so once pulled I often toss them in the lead pot if I use the collets. With the kinetic I never lose the lead bullets, and can reload them again.

mazo kid
05-15-2016, 03:13 PM
It was painful watching it all the way to the end. I've used the method of running the round up through the threaded hole and using pliers to clamp the bullet but I lay it cross-ways so there is no risk of buggering up the threads.
+1 on this method!

Don Fischer
05-18-2016, 10:55 AM
Nothing really new there. I've got the collet puller, hammer type puller and have used pliers a few times. My experience with collet puller's is they ruin core bullet's than they save. Using pliers is simply a trick that work's but again you'll ruin the bullet. With the hammer type puller you'll ruin the bullet by screwing up the nose unless your careful. I can see how much a bullet moved after a hit or two and then I hit just hard enough to get the bullet out without slamming it into the bottom. The only powder I save is powder I'd loaded into the case, the other stuff bet's burned. You cannot tell what powder it is other than by pure luck. One more thing about the hammer type puller, hit it on a solid object. I have a small back stupe that is poured concrete. I use the side of it to pull!

That you tube video has to be one of the most boring I've ever seen. Eleven minute's to give a two min lesson.

Springfield
05-18-2016, 01:41 PM
Don: put a piece of foam or something inside the hammer puller to save the bullet noses. Maybe even some silicone seal.

jrmartin1964
05-21-2016, 09:48 AM
Nothing new. Been using the pliers method for more than 40 years.

krallstar
05-22-2016, 06:57 AM
Instead of a socket, I use a small piece of PCV with a little larger diameter than the ram on the press. Same principal, though.

Also, some bullets (depending on size) can be saved by pulling them with a coaxial crimping tool instead of a pair of ordinary pliers. Here's a pic and a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Coaxial-Crimping-Tool-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B0001GGXPY

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41MTGGVESBL._SY355_.jpg This is what i have been using.