PDA

View Full Version : Can I use 22 hornet dies to load WCF? Cartridge cases are nearly identical((emphasis

eggbone
03-23-2016, 09:19 PM
I recently acquired a Win. High Wall and a Win. Low Wall, both in 22 WCF. I am looking to hand load this catrridge and can not find loading dies for it.
Both actions are strong. I have load data and I will initially load black powder.
1. Can I use 22 hornet dies to load WCF? Cartridge cases are nearly identical((emphasis on Nearly).
2. I have found cases and bullets, but If necessary, what alterations to hornet cases must I do?
3. I also can not find appropriate bullet molds (@45gr, @.228 diam). Any suggestions?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Ben
03-23-2016, 11:10 PM
This one is a bit shy of the weight you wanted, but it is .228 " and in stock ready to ship.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=1664

Mk42gunner
03-23-2016, 11:12 PM
eggbone,

As far as I know, the main difference is projectile diameter; with the Hornet using .223-.224" and the WCF using .226 or .228". Not sure which is correct, I have read both. If that is so, I think you could use Hornet dies, but you will be working the necks way more than is necessary.

You would also need a neck expander sized for the larger boolits.

If you don't already have a set of Hornet dies, it might be cheaper to order a .22WCF set from CH4D. I do not know if the Lee collet neck sizer die for the .22 Hornet can be made to work for the larger diameter.

For a mold, contact one of the custom makers that does .22 caliber molds to see if they have any that are cut a little bit too big, or get someone to open the driving bands of a production .22 mold.

Good luck with your new rifles,

Robert

Beaver Scout
03-24-2016, 04:17 AM
I am using a set of CH4D dies in 22WCF and casting with an original Winchester 22WCF mold. It cast at right 45gr and is a .228 as cast, my low wall slugs .228 and it works well. It has 4 grooves in it and a round nose. I put 3 grains of titegroup in it but I really want to get a hold of some 2400 to try it, something a bit slower and easier to work with. The tightgroup requires that i put some filler in so the powder doesn't all lay on the bottom of the case. I use quilt batting for the filler, just fluff it in there do not stuff it in.
I would agree that you'll be working the necks more with a hornet die but it might work, possible you will end up with quit a few split necks too though.

Ballistics in Scotland
03-24-2016, 06:32 AM
The right WCF dies would be a counsel of perfection, but more expensive, and I don't think the difference of .004in. in neck diameter with Hornet dies will be harmful to brass life if you neck anneal occasionally. I believe the right expander button is all you would really need.

Cartridge reference books do sometimes parrot errors from one to another, but I think .228 is likely to be the right bullet diameter. It wold be a good idea to slug the bores before laying out cash. Here is another source for .228 moulds - at a price. Their being in Australia didn't, for me, produce any undue delay or other problems, and they do good work.

http://us.castbulletengineering.com.au/bullet-moulds/rifle/228-calibre

Winchester made this round with a small flat nose on the bullet, possibly because it was once catalogued for the 73, but you don't need that. Plenty of people have used these actions for pressures at least equaling the modern Hornet, and while I don't recommend that, especially if the firing-pin or its hole is large, you can surely go a little beyond the original .22 WCF velocities. So a gas-check bullet is worth having. My 1899 Winchester catalogue doesn't mention (as it does for some other cartridges) a smokeless loading or nickel steel barrel for this cartridge.

EDG
03-24-2016, 10:53 AM
The RCBS trim dies are usually .010 larger than the FL die. A Hornet trim die might be about right for FL sizing the 22 WCF without excessive sizing of the case neck.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-24-2016, 10:58 AM
I have a older Lee Bator mold, that casts a bit oversize, .229 or so. it's about 50gr.
It's not for sale, but I could cast you some.
I don't have any sizer dies that large, so I can really only offer them "as cast" (unsized and unlubed)
PM me, if you are interested.
Jon

eggbone
03-24-2016, 11:26 AM
Thank you all for passing on your knowledge.
Jon, I will get back to you on the castings.