PDA

View Full Version : what kind of snake is this

redriverhunter
03-23-2016, 07:53 PM

I was weed eating next to the house and this guy got tangled with the weed eater what kind of snake is it. I am thinking rattler snake of some kind but not sure. I am not going to mess with no than I have too.
thanks rrh

RED333
03-23-2016, 07:58 PM
By the tail I would agree about a rattler.

quilbilly
03-23-2016, 07:58 PM
It is a rattler, of course, but which species I don't know. Where are you and how long is it?

birddog
03-23-2016, 08:00 PM
Sure looks like a rattler! Don't see them in my part of the country east central iowa. If he is full grown that could be a massasauga. I don't see the pattern on the head though. And you may be to far north for them.
Charlie

Looking at the tail that is a young un. Just one rattle and you can see the second forming.

Walkingwolf
That appears to be a young diamondback rattlesnake.

jsizemore
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=eastern+diamondback+rattlesnake+pictures&id=AF9F06499C33070ACB248A1EBE62DFD12880F4E0&FORM=IQFRBA

Cowpoke
03-23-2016, 08:01 PM
+1
Looks like a Diamondback from here

MUSTANG
03-23-2016, 08:02 PM
Perhaps; A snake in the grass?

Mica_Hiebert
03-23-2016, 08:02 PM
looks to be a diamond back rattle snake. maybe at one time his buttons got cut off and that is what he has after his tail has healed and he has had a few years of growth. hard to tell his size from the pics maybe just a baby rattle snake.

dagger dog
03-23-2016, 08:05 PM
:bigsmyl2:
Perhaps; A snake in the grass?

Walkingwolf
03-23-2016, 08:06 PM
Sure looks like a rattler! Don't see them in my part of the country east central iowa. If he is full grown that could be a massasauga. I don't see the pattern on the head though. And you may be to far north for them.
Charlie

Looking at the tail that is a young un. Just one rattle and you can see the second forming.

The pattern on the back resembles a diamondback, but the rattles look like a massasauga. I would still say Diamondback, could be a cow stomped off his tail in the cattle truck. I have encountered Diamondbacks in an area where they were not common, and the most likely case is they were on a truck, and slithered off.

458mag
03-23-2016, 08:06 PM
It's one of those long slithery kinds, but what other kind is there?

redriverhunter
03-23-2016, 08:07 PM
wow thanks for all the prompt responses. I live near Wichita Falls Texas and the snake was at least 12 inches in length.

Walkingwolf
03-23-2016, 08:10 PM
wow thanks for all the prompt responses. I live near Wichita Falls Texas and the snake was at least 12 inches in length.

Well that answers it, it was a Diamondback. I wasn't sure what part of the country you were from.

GRUMPA
03-23-2016, 08:13 PM
It's in the early stage of development, it has what's known as a "BUTTON" for a rattle. That indicates to me it's less than a full year old.

Being that young.....colors and outside appearance changes a bit, not much, but just a little to the point unless I was right there I would have a hard time with a positive I.D.

Well since I hit the little button to post this I notice a new post was created with the location. I would bet a hefty sum that's a baby Diamondback. AKA crotalus atrox

DLCTEX
03-23-2016, 08:28 PM
Yes diamond back.

Blammer
03-23-2016, 08:44 PM
It's a good snake and the only good snakes are dead snakes.

that's what kind of snake it is. :)

Beerd
03-23-2016, 09:04 PM
Blammer,
from the picture it appears that you are correct!

Don Purcell
03-23-2016, 09:11 PM
I thought it was a Chuck Schumer.

mozeppa
03-23-2016, 09:21 PM
Perhaps; A snake in the grass?:bigsmyl2:

now that's just sneaky!

redriverhunter
03-23-2016, 09:28 PM
the snake decided to tangle with the weedeater or most likely while weedeating, I hit snake with the weedwacker and he struck what hit him and it went down hill for him from there. Could have be the other way around real easy. I have been lazy this year about getting on the yard I hope I remember this and keep the grass cut. What I find interesting is all the snakes i have seen in my yard have been in or near the ac unit (as this one was) i wonder.

GOPHER SLAYER
03-23-2016, 09:28 PM
Baby or not, the poison is just as deadly. A bite from one of those little critters could set you back 100k. You better have good insurance. I killed one about the same size in my back yard last year and I killed one for a neighbor shortly after.

MaryB
03-23-2016, 09:44 PM
Lunch!

GRUMPA
03-23-2016, 09:51 PM
Baby or not, the poison is just as deadly. A bite from one of those little critters could set you back 100k. You better have good insurance. I killed one about the same size in my back yard last year and I killed one for a neighbor shortly after.

When I was collecting snakes with my dad (20yrs worth) the little baby rattlers were something to avoid. The younger rattle snakes wont hold back and will defend themselves more vigorously than the adults will.

I wont kill them, when we find them here I still have my snake hooks and snake grabbers. I just pick them up and put them in my old lunch box with a lockable lid. Sometimes I'll feed them with 1 of the many rodents we have around here till I get out and relocate them miles away.

longranger
03-23-2016, 10:19 PM
Good for you Grumpa, snakes are far more beneficial than given credit for. That snake looks to be well fed,they are attracted to food sources.Check your rodent problem,rabbits,mice,rats ,squirrels,skunks,opossum not much they won't eat or try to eat.

Plate plinker
03-23-2016, 10:31 PM
I thought it was a Chuck Schumer.

Stop that name calling you are insulated the snakes.

chuckbuster
03-23-2016, 10:34 PM
hey RRH
Clean out your PM Folders..
Kevin

starmac
03-23-2016, 10:40 PM
My first ag teacher in high school was afraid of snakes. I will never forget what he claimed about them. He told us there was just 4 kind of bad snakes in the US, big ones, little ones, live ones and dead ones. lol

DoubleAdobe
03-23-2016, 10:43 PM
Colloquially known as a coon tail here in Arizona.

flounderman
03-23-2016, 10:49 PM
Schumer is what they call a blow snake. He just pretends he's dangerous.

DougGuy
03-23-2016, 11:10 PM
I'm with blammer! It's a DEAD snake! :bigsmyl2:

quilbilly
03-23-2016, 11:17 PM
[QUOTE=GRUMPA;3589589]When I was collecting snakes with my dad (20yrs worth) the little baby rattlers were something to avoid. The younger rattle snakes wont hold back and will defend themselves more vigorously than the adults will.

I wont kill them, when we find them here I still have my snake hooks and snake grabbers. I just pick them up and put them in my old lunch box with a lockable lid. Sometimes I'll feed them with 1 of the many rodents we have around here till I get out and relocate them miles away.[/QUOTE)
I agree with Longranger. Good for you.

gandydancer
03-23-2016, 11:34 PM
the only good snake is a dead snake. I do not kill the big black snakes I'm told they eat other snakes.

David2011
03-23-2016, 11:35 PM
Not sure where you live but the coloring looks like it might be an Eastern Diamondback. Even in the thumbnails it was clearly a pit viper with that wide triangular head. We have plenty of the Western variety in NM!

David

Butchman205
03-23-2016, 11:45 PM
That's a diamondback...and a young one. Good news is, it's dead. Bad news...unless it fell off a truck or piece of equipment in transit, there will be more nearby.

Best way to "discourage" snakes here in Bama, is to keep the yard or grassy areas as clean as possible. High grass attracts rats, rats attract snakes. Moth balls thrown here and there are rumored to keep bugs/rats/snakes away...but we always try to keep things as orderly as possible. They LOVE high grass with lots of rats.

smokeywolf
03-24-2016, 12:08 AM
Thought sure there'd be a pic of Hillary in the OP's post.

Tritium
03-24-2016, 12:23 AM
Diamond Back.....CoonTail is what we call them here near Lubbock Texas. Killed 4 the last week of December and 2 more since then!

Thurmond

Col4570
03-24-2016, 01:20 AM
How do you folks handle a Snake bite if you live in remote areas,do you carry anti Snake Bite Serum.
Here in the UK we have only two species of Snake,the Adder and the Grass Snake,an Adder bite can be painfull and serious to some,the Grass snake is harmless.

Taylor
03-24-2016, 06:24 AM
Diamondback,..can I have it?

lancem
03-24-2016, 07:40 AM
How do you folks handle a Snake bite if you live in remote areas,do you carry anti Snake Bite Serum.
Here in the UK we have only two species of Snake,the Adder and the Grass Snake,an Adder bite can be painfull and serious to some,the Grass snake is harmless.

Serum is only dispenced in hospitals. Prevention is the best thing, I live probably 160 miles or more from a hospital that can handle snake bites, I keep my yard clean, have outdoor cats that keep the rodent population in check, wear snake boots. The most important thing is the majority of snake bites happen to the hands and arms, so I am always very careful when reaching for or picking something up outdoors.

aephilli822
03-24-2016, 07:46 AM
Definitely an EDIBLE snake......:drinks:

mold maker
03-24-2016, 11:23 AM
To my elderly eyesight, it looks like a copper headed rattle moccasin. Best disposed of (buried) in separate pieces.
When surprised by one I don't have or take the time to determine its pedigree.
Black snakes can live in peace, but only if they stay away from me and mine.

bedbugbilly
03-24-2016, 11:49 AM
Thanks for posting the photos. For those who live in "snake country", it's always a good reminder to be vigilant when outdoors.

We are in AZ just south of Tucson. Our house is on the back side of a 55 plus development and we have a stretch of desert across the road. Last Saturday night, kids came through and egged about 30 houses. They evidently dropped one in the middle of the road in front of our house. Monday morning, we got up and when I went out to walk the dogs, we noticed a dead snake in the center of the road (been run over with a car). It had come out to eat whatever was left of the dropped egg and got nailed. At first glance, it looked like a rattler but we finally figured out it was a bull snake. Either way, I'm glad it got nailed. We have run both of our little dogs through "rattlesnake aversion training" but I still am very cautious not that the weather is warming up. When we go back to Michigan, we don't have to worry so much as we only have the Massauga (sp?) and I've only seen three of those in my life time in spite of living on the farm with a lot of marshy area, woods, etc. and all three were dead.

What gets me is how these little (or large) slithery critters blend in with the background - just one of nature's wonders. This is our ninth winter here and (knock on wood) I have only had to whack one with a shovel - a small one that had come up on to the cement by the garage door to get some warmth from the cement and sunshine. The Fire Dept. will "pick up and transplant" rattlers here and it's my understanding that they sometimes do several thousand a year.

1_Ogre
03-24-2016, 05:44 PM
Looks like a dead snake to me

Riverpigusmc
03-24-2016, 06:04 PM

yup. Killed a bigger one in my yard this year. Eastern diamondback

Ole Joe Clarke
03-24-2016, 06:23 PM
This is an Eastern Diamondback, the good kind, and it was full grown. By the way that is not me in the photo.

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad123/olejoeclark/Fishing/V%20and%20Snake_zpsy56dnfaz.jpg (http://s928.photobucket.com/user/olejoeclark/media/Fishing/V%20and%20Snake_zpsy56dnfaz.jpg.html)

Col4570
03-24-2016, 06:30 PM
Serum is only dispenced in hospitals. Prevention is the best thing, I live probably 160 miles or more from a hospital that can handle snake bites, I keep my yard clean, have outdoor cats that keep the rodent population in check, wear snake boots. The most important thing is the majority of snake bites happen to the hands and arms, so I am always very careful when reaching for or picking something up outdoors.
If children are to be outside I suppose it is necessary to search the area prior to letting them play there.It seems to me it is a fingers crossed situation.I have no doubt it is a matter of course that the young ones are educated what to avoid and that you folks are used to living amongst these hazards.

MT Gianni
03-24-2016, 06:44 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X76KE7LWocI

Junior Brown on Diamondbacks

dagger dog
03-24-2016, 07:41 PM
We don't get many rattlers up our way but when we do they're pretty big, used to raid our poultry, took a lot free range chicks during the spring hatching season.

Got to watch for copperheads during the summer they get right nasty if aggravated. Blacksnakes keep down the white footed mice in my old barn.

OS OK
03-24-2016, 08:17 PM
Yours looks to be an Eastern relative of this Western Diamondback here in California…richer colors while yours are somewhat muted. Those young ones will kill you quicker than an old adult like this one…they inject you with out any moderation, give you a full pump when they strike.164401

Go here…( http://www.livingalongsidewildlife.com/2014/05/a-95-foot-rattlesnake-from-texas-cmon.html )….and see a 9 1/2 footer!
If it ain't got no 'paws' it ain't no friend-O-mine!

shaner
03-24-2016, 08:17 PM
Dead one!

MaryB
03-25-2016, 12:06 AM
I have ran into 3 rattlesnakes where I live in MN, all along the granite outcroppings along the river. I do have a huge bull snake that lives out back, I leave him be ad will even stop the mower so he can slither down a gopher hole. He keeps the gophers in check otherwise my lawn has more holes than a golf course! About 5-6 feet long and I do NOT want to get bit by him! Not poisonous but the bite can hurt and cause bad infections.

OS OK
03-25-2016, 06:34 AM
We have the California Rosie Boa here and several 5 to 6 foot skins have been found in my pasture. They are welcome too although when you walk up on one it is a bit unnerving!

6bg6ga
03-25-2016, 06:55 AM
You people are sick picking up snakes. The ONLY good snake is a dead snake.

oldred
03-25-2016, 08:18 AM
a baby Diamondback. AKA crotalus atrox

No, I think the more correct biological name is Creepus Maximus!

Don Purcell
03-25-2016, 10:52 AM
Ole Joe Clarke, If I suddenly came across that guy I would look like an elevating Indian Shaman doing an impersonation of Jerry Miculek setting a speed record with my Model 29 Smith!

Lloyd Smale
03-25-2016, 11:46 AM
then its a good snake
Looks like a dead snake to me

OS OK
03-25-2016, 01:43 PM
Ole Joe Clarke, If I suddenly came across that guy I would look like an elevating Indian Shaman doing an impersonation of Jerry Miculek setting a speed record with my Model 29 Smith!

Will that act have 'Sphincter Flames' as your ascending? Send me a pair of tickets…I wanna see that!...:bigsmyl2:

Freightman
03-25-2016, 02:08 PM
Rattler bunch of them there be careful man I know got bit by a baby rattler still not over the operations or walking after a year

jsizemore
03-25-2016, 05:49 PM
I actually like snakes but sometimes you got to play this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzU9FgNTYrU

montana_charlie
03-25-2016, 07:12 PM
Yours looks to be an Eastern relative of this Western Diamondback here in California…richer colors while yours are somewhat muted.
That bright coloring is seen when a snake has recently shed it's old skin.

At first glance, it looked like a rattler but we finally figured out it was a bull snake. Either way, I'm glad it got nailed.
It's unfortunate that a person would prefer to see a snake killed, even when he knows the species is known to be beneficial.

Lance Boyle
03-25-2016, 08:44 PM
I don't mind snakes. What I don't like is surprises from snakes. If I see them first all is good.

I went to a snake class for work a few years ago. The instructor was pretty good. We handled some non poisonous ones as well as some poisonous ones. We had a few eastern diamondbacks, some super deadly green little thing from Africa and a western diamond back. That western diamond back had an attitude problem from the get go. I was using good technique using a snake hook and all my arm length when I picked him up. He attempted to strike me right from the start unlike the other snakes who would get picked up half a dozen times before catching some attitude.

Blackwater
03-25-2016, 09:04 PM
I live in SE Ga. on the coastal plain, and since I moved back home here after Dad retired from the Marines, I've gotten very used to the simple fact that we can NEVER walk outside, even out our front or back door, without looking where we step. I was never really scared of them until I almost got bit once. Then I nearly got myself bitten again, and I am VERY respectful of them, and the very real and simple fact that they can pop up anywhere here, even outside our front or back doors. Twice here, we've killed sizable ones (5' or better) crawling well within the confines of our yard, and one of my old dogs, a Boykin setter, was killed by one in my back yard. She was the only "snake dog" I've ever owned, and absolutely HATED snakes. If she found one, she was inconsolably determined to kill it. She would play with it like an overgrown mongoose, and was amazingly adept at avoiding getting bit. But she erred once, and we took her to the vet, who said we'd do well to put her to sleep. I looked at her, and saw the sheer defiance in her eyes, and even though her head was swelled up twice its normal size, I just instinctively and intuitively told him I was going to give her a fighting chance, and asked what I could do for her. He told me, and she got over it, seemingly completely. Then, a few years later, she got hit that last time, and was dead within less than 10 minutes. There was simply nothing we could do.

The thing is, that once you've been bitten, you may wind up with a greater resistance to the venom, or as with some who get stung by bees and wasps, you can develop an allergy to the venom, and die VERY quickly of anaphylactic (sp?) shock. And if you go into anaphylaxis, you're pretty well dead unless you can get to a hospital pronto!

So you guys who have your feet on their heads, or are lifting them up by their heads are a LOT braver than I am! They very much CAN bite you long after they're dead! And the venom retains its strength for quite a while, so if you separate the head from the body, bury it at least 6" deep, so nobody steps on it. Step on it, particularly if you've damaged or bashed in the head, and those fangs can still stick into your foot, and the pressure will certainly drive ALL the poison in those poison sacs that make the back of their heads look so big, and form that "triangular head" they have, right into your foot, and you'll wind up likely having a MORE serious injection than if they'd bitten you ourright! So bury those heads, and don't just cover them up with sand!

And too, even after they're dead, their hearts can go on beating and they will writhe for a VERY long time after they're dead, and the head, CAN, unless totally demolished and vaporized like from a close range blast of a 12 ga., continue to bite. I don't understand how it happens or what makes it so, but I can assure you that I've quite a few times seen a "dead" rattler bit a limb or whatever that it was touched with, and some of them had pretty well smushed up heads when they did this. Again, this is NOT a one-time observation on my part, but a repeated one, so anyone who handles them after they're "dead" really, really needs to know that it's VERY hazardous. And stepping on them is no assurance they can't or won't break loose and strike that foot, either! Snakes are one continuous muscle, and the very first thing that will strike you if you ever handle one is how incredibly strong they are. They WILL almost surely surprise you, and you do NOT want that surprise to come when you're dealing with something that very really CAN kill you.

Like my dog, some have a sensitivity to the venom, and may go into anaphalaxis if bitten, and there's not much chance of survival unless you get to a doc or hospital VERY quickly. My Mom got bit by a wasp once, and nearly died before I could get her to the local doc's only about 7 or 8 miles away. I had my learner's license then, so I was 15 when that happened. It scared the puddin' out of me!!! I'd never seen it before but had heard of it, and knew what to do, which was to take her to the doc's ASAP.

I've also known folks who've been bitten and recovered without treatment, and those who've died even with treatment. Kids, especially, due to their smaller size, are more likely to succumb than adults, but all will almost surely remember the event and suffer from it all their lives. Black widows and brown recluse spiders can also have VERY long lasting repercussions.

So be VERY careful and vigilant where you put your feet and hands. And NEVER sit on a log unless and until you've checked the OTHER side of it! If you get bit, getting bit in the torso, like the butt, is even more problematic than getting bit on a limb.

Ya' gotta' know a lot of stuff if you're gonna' hafta' live amongst the rattlers. And it never goes away, not even for a milisecond, which is all it takes to get bit. But with care and even a little luck, it's really pretty easy to live with and around them. Ya' just gotta' be careful out there - even at your doorsteps!

tygar
03-25-2016, 09:58 PM
It's a killing snake. Put smoke snake shot into it & any others you find.

TXGunNut
03-25-2016, 11:37 PM
Be very careful around that a/c unit this summer, there's quite possibly a den nearby. Last time I killed a snake that size I vacated the area pronto.
Short story about that little rattler, was taking a leak before leaving deer camp. Public hunting area, hunters' camp. Something in the bush was moving, wasn't appreciating the warm shower on a cool day. ;-) Due to tinnitus I can't hear a rattlesnake unless it's very big, very close. Never heard this little guy but we unpacked a shovel post-haste and I settled his bad temper and buried his nasty bits.
Snake that size isn't far from where it hatched, it had lots of siblings. Be very careful this year, wear boots when doing yard work and keep a shovel or hoe handy. Keep grass and weeds well trimmed. Keep an ice pack handy and know the location of the closest ER with rattlesnake anti-venom. Keep a couple quarts of Gatorade in reserve, if bitten, ice down the wound and drink the Gatorade on the way to the ER. If ER doc agrees round up a few more to drink after arrival.

Lloyd Smale
03-26-2016, 08:23 AM
glad I live far enough north that the poison ones cant exist. Id much rather have snow and cold with nothing poisonous then snakes and spiders and a 6 months of 100 degree 100 percent humidity. things that will bite you in the woods up here are plenty big enough to see.

Don Purcell
03-26-2016, 08:26 AM
Agreed Loyd. The North Pole comes to mind.

OS OK
03-26-2016, 09:09 AM
Thanks Blackwateer...for your concern but I was raised in Houston, just the same situation as you have there. That picture was taken (staged) for the benefit of my kids…I figured they would have a fit seeing this and think the old man had gone over the edge. That Rattler lost an argument with my 1911 and his head was already buried in a squashed up Coke can…and him, he was headed to the skinning board to become a hatband.
I agree with letting live because of the benefit they are to rodent control but in some areas there is an abundance of the little sneaky SOB's. It is quite natural to live amongst them and not have any problems but you have to be educated and 'never' let your guard down…a large dose of 'common sense' will go a long way in life also.
I wondered if someone would comment on the stupidity of that picture…thanks again Blackwater.

OS OK

Jeffrey
03-26-2016, 10:09 AM
One that small should be tender. Having used this method, I can testify to its deliciousness. https://thinkingviking.wordpress.com/tag/snake-recipe/

montana_charlie
03-26-2016, 03:09 PM
glad I live far enough north that the poison ones cant exist.
What is the latitude of Munsing ... about 46.30"?
I live at 47.61", and we have rattlers here.
Havre is well north of us, and I have seen 'em there, too.

Lloyd Smale
03-26-2016, 04:35 PM
we have a few rattlers in lower Michigan but there rare. None up here that ive ever heard of. Keep in mind that I live in northern Michigan. Sister lives in great falls and from what ive seen of montana we get A heck of a lot more snow then you do except maybe up in the mountains. We get a 180 inches average and were about middle ground for northern MI. Some places get near 300.
What is the latitude of Munsing ... about 46.30"?
I live at 47.61", and we have rattlers here.
Havre is well north of us, and I have seen 'em there, too.