PDA

View Full Version : Blue color in lead

plattincreek
03-23-2016, 11:05 AM
Got a question for the experts out there. A friend gave me a bunch of old lead pipe that was dug up. I melted it down to clean out the **** and make ingots. Floating on top of the melted lead was a skim that looked like what you see when engine oil is on top of water... several different colors: blue, yellow, light red. I skimmed some of it off but when I poured the ingots there is a noticeable blue color in the solid lead. Any ideas of what this might be? Thanks.

Beagle333
03-23-2016, 11:13 AM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?15488-Blue-streaking-in-lead-smelting-ingots

Normal pure lead.

dondiego
03-23-2016, 11:15 AM
That is a sign that you have soft and close to pure lead. Good for muzzle loader ammo. Will need tin and/ or antimony for smokeless loads. Hard shot, solder, and pewter are good to add to it.

plattincreek
03-23-2016, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the quick response and answers.

44man
03-23-2016, 03:50 PM
Yep. Pure as you can get.

mold maker
03-23-2016, 03:57 PM
Also indicates more than necessary heat. Treasure it like gold. It's getting hard to find without money.

Mitch
03-23-2016, 04:34 PM
+1 on pure lead.great stuff to have.you can use it any way you want.or trade part of it for something mix with pure to get what you want.you will find that most pipe.flashing and sheet lead is pure or close enough to pure for what we do casting boolits.better get that friend a 12 pack or donuts something to thank him.

plattincreek
03-23-2016, 08:48 PM
I do thank him each time he drops some lead pipe off. We kind of have a trade thing going on. I let him bow hunt on my property and he brings me lead. I guess he has dropped off about 50 pounds of the stuff so far. Got a visit from the tinsel fairy when I was cleaning it up and casting ingots. Apparently there was some mud in one of the sections of lead pipe. I'm sure my hair will grow back in a couple of weeks. Emptied the Lee production pot and threw lead for about 10 ft. I got lucky and only got hit with a little of it. Nothing too serious and like I said the hair will grow back.

Mitch
03-23-2016, 09:41 PM
Sounds like you good friendship.The fairy visit is not good.Start with a cold pot Put all ypu can in the pot and let it heat up from cold.that way the moisture will be gone by the time it melts.Do not add any lead to a melted pot unless you are 100% sure it is dry.Thesafe my friend nest time it might be more than just Hair.Bee safe casting friend.