PDA

View Full Version : About this time next year...

Captain O
03-23-2016, 01:37 AM
I plan on purchasing a new Inland M1 Carbine (replica). I can't afford a 1600 "rebuilt" WW2 or Korean "veteran" or any such nonsense. I am settling for a cast receiver replica with a bayonet lug. (These are generally more accurate, because they control the vibrations of the barrel and were engineered to do so). I know that the CMP Carbines would be fine, but a cost of between $1300.00 and $1400.00 is patently absurd. There is no need for further discussion about the purchase. If there are any difficulties, Inland will cover the problems with their warranty. I am also going to buy some Korean 30 round magazines for "extended social encounters" as it were. I have used an M1 Carbine in the past, and shoot it very well!

Before we continue this discussion, I would really rather not discuss why people consider the 5.56 x 45 or .223 rifles as "more accurate" or "cheaper to shoot" or "it works better for long distance shooting scenarios" or other such ramblings. Frankly, I despise the "ground hog gun" because it works poorly against barriers such as car doors, indoor walls, etc. You can shoot it if you like, but it doesn't work for me. Please leave the "poodle shooter" discussions for someone else's thread. Thank you very much. I have an MAK-91 "National Match" in 7.62 x 39 and a bolt-action Spanish Mauser in .308 Winchester for mid-range and long-range work respectively.

I am using the .30 Carbine at "full-tilt" with soft-point loads for the following purposes in the respective order: Varmint hunting (between 75 and 130 yards), short-range deer (up to 110 yards) and, last (but not least) Home Defense and Personal Defense inside of the house. Nothing but 110 grain JSP and JHP bullets will be used. I don't want to tear apart the rifle to clean the lead from the short-stroke gas port when it clogs with lead from cast bullets. Clean burning, full (military) velocity loads seem to be in order so that the brass will clear the ejector port so that the Carbine will run as designed.

If it seems as if I am well-versed with the M1 Carbine, I have more than a passing familiarity with the cartridge. So I will do the best I can with the information provided. I don't want to appear arrogant, but do understand the limitations as well as the advantages of the "little rifle".

If you have any salient input concerning what propellants and/or bullet brands I should use for the intended applications, I am "all ears".

Thanks in advance.

Rustyleee
03-23-2016, 02:49 AM
Hey Captain stick to yer guns! People that put down the carbine have no experience with it. I went on a shrimp boat one night with a fellow officer, he was carrying a carbine. The felon we were after had hidden behind a drag door, which is a watersoaked fixture made from 2 layers of 2"X4" lumber. When the felon shot from cover my fellow officer fired a 3 round burst of FMJ ammo that went thru the door and stopped in the gunman.
Jim Cirillo used a carbine on the NYPD stakeout squad for quite a few years with 110 grain softpoints with great results.
If you read Audie Murphy's book "To Hell and Back" you'll find that in the dense forests of Europe the carbine was his favored weapon.
I know a local hunter that has used a carbine ever since he came home from Korea and has killed truckloads of deer and hog with his.
I can't say that the new Inlands are any better, but I'd wager they are at least as good as anything that was made during the WWII rush. I hope you'll keep us posted on how it turns out.

shoot-n-lead
03-23-2016, 03:07 AM
Well, since you are so well versed in the cartridge...why are you seeking info here?

Captain O
03-23-2016, 03:31 AM
I used to work as an Armed Security Officer and have been shooting since 1961. I was six years old. (I came into the world on December 1st, 1954). I served in the Navy beginning July 19, 1973. (Aviation Machinist's Mate, (Jet). Dad was Boatswain's Mate 1st Class, Underwater Demolition Team/Navy Rifle Team. (Passed, but not advanced, to Chief Petty Officer 13 times). I learned to shoot and harvest small game at my "daddy's knee"! (You get my drift).

On duty, I began by carrying a 6" barreled Colt Trooper Mark III. In later years I carried a Glock Model 20 (10mm Auto). I always shot as well or better than my fellow officers. (The company never really backed us, and if we ever shot anyone, when it came to liability, we were "on our own"). I have been a revolver fan since my first Smith & Wesson 4" barreled Model 28 "Highway Patrolman" when I was a Sophomore in High School. I love all my arms of many calibers (from .22 lr through the .45 ACP Charter Arms Pitbull that i'll be getting in this August).

All of this aside, I really get a charge out of the .30 Carbine because it is a low-recoiling piece of "bad boy" in a light 5 lb., 3 oz. package. At 100 yards, a full-power 110 grain soft-point .308 caliber bullet is steaming along at 1601 fps and still generating 626 foot pounds of energy. I can't understand why people think that this cartridge is "weak" or "wimpy". (At the muzzle the "full-tilt" load is running 2000 fps and cranking out 977 foot pounds of energy in the 110 grain Hornady FTX load).

The beauty of the .30 Carbine, is that within reasonable ranges, it kills varmints, deer and at short ranges, is a real "man stopper" load. Since it's such a "soft shooter" it is so easy to shoot accurately, and a real pleasure during a summer's afternoon in the field. Just "kicking it around" the meadows with the little .30 Caliber slung upon my shoulder... Almost heaven. :D

Isn't it cool?

Captain O
03-23-2016, 03:37 AM
Well, since you are so well versed in the cartridge...why are you seeking info here?

I can obtain commercial loads anywhere. I am seeking the soft point loads that have been perfected by others that have developed for their .30 Carbines. This cartridge has had more rounds fired at deer and varmints loaded by sportsmen and hunters long before the development of the 5.56 x 45 ever saw the light of day.

Experience makes the difference.

P.S. How many prosecutors are going to insist that the .30 Carbine is a big-bore "Magnum blaster" after I shoot some "crack-addled fool" that broke into the house? Not many.

Rustyleee
03-23-2016, 05:01 AM
I've never reloaded for it but I always wondered how it would do with boolits myself.

StrawHat
03-23-2016, 06:58 AM
I too am interested in the 30 Carbine cartridge. Not the M1 but I would like a good bolt action rifle or even an "N" framed S&W.

Kevin

dale2242
03-23-2016, 09:36 AM
I don't mean to highjack your thread but I have shot many 1000s of cast boolits through military M1 carbines without ant problems.
Never had to clean lead out of any port or piston.....dale

Eddie2002
03-23-2016, 09:55 AM
I used to hunt with a friend who used a M1 carbine. He was an ex service man, a tanker from WW2 who was a dead shot out to about 150 yards. Saw him take many a New England deer with that carbine, it's an impressive fire arm in the right hands.

Der Gebirgsjager
03-23-2016, 11:31 AM
What I know about carbines, and maybe a couple of other things.....

* The very first carbine I ever saw, and fell in love with, was in the middle 1950s and was owned by a gent in his late 70s who got his deer with it every year using FMJ ammo. He favored it because he had arthritis and liked it's light weight and lack of serious recoil. It was odd that he had the gun at all because they had not as yet been released for sale to the public, but many seemed to have followed guys home from WW II. I doubt if commercially loaded soft point ammo was even available back then.

* I bought my first carbine, a Standard Products, from DCM in around 1966 for about $22. Later acquired a second, also Standard, in the home and garden section of a large department store out of a barrel of carbines for around $35, also in the late 1960s. In the middle 1980s I bought a friend's Inland for $65. Eventually, stupidly, sold it. It was an excellent shooter, but he'd installed a side mount scope and cut a notch in the stock to accommodate the mount and had drilled screw holes in the side. Later on I acquired one made by Winchester that was in the Blue Sky shipment from S. Korea, and in the 1990s acquired an Iver Johnson and an AMAC. The last two both have cast receivers. The Iver Johnson is a tack driver, but I had lots of trouble with the AMAC's accuracy, and only solved the problem with a barrel mounted scope. It's now pretty accurate because the scope sights to wherever the barrel is pointed and that's where the bullet goes. I tried several mounts and scopes on the receiver and the results were poor. See the photo below.

* The fellow that I bought the Inland from shot hundreds of cast bullets and never had a gas port stoppage problem. However, I've found it wise to remove the gas piston nut and piston and clean these parts and the gas chamber after extensive shooting sessions with any type of ammo due to carbon build up. If you don't, one day you'll find the system firmly frozen up, and it might be when you happen to need it the most. There is nothing wrong with preventative maintenance.

* Carbine manufacturers seem to come and go with regularity, and original parts are becoming scarce to non-existent. It seems like you intend to shoot yours quite a bit, so I'd advise you to purchase and extra part here and there and set them aside for hard times, especially a barrel. Don't buy just any parts, buy original G.I. if possible or from the manufacturer of your carbine. Some parts, like those made for Universal brand guns may not fit your carbine.

* The Korean 30-round mags that come in the military wrapper are good ones. I own several and haven't gotten a bad one. My behind the door home defense gun is the Iver Johnson carbine with one of these mags.

* Once in awhile you'll run across some Chinese-made LC marked carbine ammo. Avoid it. Not only are carbines expensive, but so is the commercially loaded ammo, and it seems like it has always been expensive in comparison to other calibers. But perhaps that's because it comes 50 to a box instead of 20. If you're intending to shoot only commercially loaded ammo you'll need to get a second job to support your habit. It's almost a "must-reload" situation. I know that I've always got my eyes open for a bargain box of carbine ammo to add to my stockpile, and I also reload using the Hornady 110 gr. FMJ and RNSP. H-110 is a good powder, but there are others that do as well.

* You are correct that current carbine prices are outrageous, but I'm not concerned because I've got mine, and will anticipate getting those prices someday when I sell! You are also correct in thinking that a newly made carbine could be the equal or better of a WW II version, but there is always the lemon as is/was my AMAC.
164263Left to right is the I.J. and then the AMAC carbine with the barrel mount. Extreme right is a 181-series Mini-14 that also wouldn't shoot in the same place twice and ended up with the same treatment, also with good results. I believe the mount is named Ulti-Mak.

* I had about 5 years experience as an armed security officer working for a private company in the middle-late 1960s, and you are right that if you were involved in a shooting they would hang you out to dry. That was one of the major reasons I left that field of employment for law enforcement, and can not imagine people voluntarily being employed in that capacity today. In fact, it takes a very special type of person to want to be in law
enforcement today with all of the current and growing restrictions, oversight, Monday Morning Quarterbacking, and the public's attitude toward them in general.

Hope you enjoy your new toy.

DG

leadman
03-23-2016, 12:18 PM
I tried the Sierra 110gr JHP, a spitzer, in my carbines with a load of W296 behind it. I had backed down about 1 grain from max IIRC and got moa accuracy at 100 yards. This is with a 4X scope on it. No issues with feeding or anything.
I have one of the receiver mounts in place of the rear sight and one with the Ulti-Mak on the barrel. I prefer the scope on the barrel.
I too shoot cast in my guns with no issues and same or better accuracy as factory ammo. I can understand not wanting to if it is a gun you will depend on to function always even though I have never had a stoppage.

Captain O
03-23-2016, 01:16 PM
I tried the Sierra 110gr JHP, a spitzer, in my carbines with a load of W296 behind it. I had backed down about 1 grain from max IIRC and got moa accuracy at 100 yards. This is with a 4X scope on it. No issues with feeding or anything.
I have one of the receiver mounts in place of the rear sight and one with the Ulti-Mak on the barrel. I prefer the scope on the barrel.
I too shoot cast in my guns with no issues and same or better accuracy as factory ammo. I can understand not wanting to if it is a gun you will depend on to function always even though I have never had a stoppage.

My only misgiving about Cast Boolits in the M1 is the fact that it was specifically (primarily) designed to be fired with jacketed projectiles. Hard Cast boolits may be of interest, but I would be forfeiting the projectile's ability to mushroom upon boolit upset.

My logic is that a W-W 110 grain HSP or JSP is how I am going to obtain maximum efficacy upon the target. I am concerned about how using a soft cast lead may fill the rifling, which, as we all know, is a Class "A" bear to remove.

I enjoy the way the .30 Carbine impacts most targets within 125-150 yards. At 100 yards, the Hornady FTX as if it were a PPSh-41 with a heavier bullet!

Works for me.

jimb16
03-23-2016, 05:47 PM
For deer sized game, I'd use the soft points with a max load that gives you good accuracy. For varmints and other 4 legged critters, cast boolits work fine. I personally like the lyman 130 gr plain base at around 1400 fps cast hard. Over the years I've owned and shot at least 30 carbines. Only one, a Saginaw, had any problem with cast. None of them had leading problems except that one and its leading problem was in the gas cylinder, not the barrel.

Captain O
03-23-2016, 07:27 PM
jimb16: I believe that I know you from the M1 Carbine Forum. Yes, I'll agree that the soft points with a maximum load (as close to 2000 fps with a 110 grain bullet) is good advice.

I just watched a video that "put the lie" to the old "it couldn't penetrate the clothing of the North Korean Regular Army soldiers" story. At a range of 200 feet the man had taken 4 layers of water-soaked denim that had been frozen solid. He laid them against a 6 in thick block of solid wood. Behind that, he had 74 pages of magazine paper, behind that, a water-filled 1 gallon jug. He fired a 110 grain FMJ at the denim. The projectile passed through the denim, the 6 inches of wood, the 74 pages of magazine and the gallon jug!

Yep, the .30 Carbine is a wimpy round, isn't it? [smilie=l: (Sounds like B.S.​ to me)!

Rustyleee
03-23-2016, 10:08 PM
Well, it's not an '06 but it's not a wimp either. It works exactly as it was designed to. Audie Murphy used it to great effect and growing up in Texas as a rabbit hunter he claimed it worked fine for "head shots" in the dense forests.
I would run boolits in it for practice, but for social purposes 110 SP would be the best.

Captain O
03-23-2016, 10:58 PM
Rustylee: Back in '66 Jim Cirillo and the NYPD "Stakeout Squad" were sent into neighborhood stores, restaurants, bars and other establishments to "stem the tide" of armed robberies that plagued many of New York City's less affluent neighborhoods. He had a USGI .30 Carbine that had been "ramped" to assure feeding of Winchester-Western's 110 grain Hollow Soft Point. His steady nerves and accurate shot placement from concealed stations that had frequently been "purpose built" to both observe and stop these horrific, violent crimes. Of the 10 shootouts in which Detective Cirillo had been involved with his carbine, 10 dead violent felons were the end result. (But you know the story by heart, don't you)?

And people wonder why I put such faith in the "little .30 Carbine".

Think about it.

gnoahhh
03-24-2016, 02:06 PM
I worked with M1 Carbines off and on (mostly on) since the mid-70's, almost entirely with cast lead bullets. Never once did I have to clean a gas port, and that includes a buddy's M2 Carbine that I was tasked with keeping fed. We're talking untold thousands of shots. I too have learned a few things about Carbines. But I see you're hell-bent so I say "whatever trips your trigger"!

As far as hunting deer with one, or relying on it as an all-around defense gun? Not so much. There are lots of better choices today- it's not 1955 anymore. I love shooting them- they're more fun than enough- but I wouldn't pick one to be my first choice in the matter of taking/preserving life. No matter how you rationalize it, the .30 Carbine is nothing more than a .30 pistol round chambered in a rifle. Add to that I never saw one that would shoot better than bean can accuracy.

In-home defense? Make it a 12 gauge pump. Deer hunting with as light a semi-auto rifle that you can get away with? Make it an AR-whatever with heavy bone punching bullets. I could make do with a Carbine, but it would just that- making do.

merlin101
03-24-2016, 02:26 PM
.30 Carbine is great but my question is why did the op feel he had to 'build it up' by tearing down another cartridge? To each there own! I wouldn't pay $1300 for an M1 carbine either nor would I complain about them and there owners.

Captain O
03-24-2016, 03:17 PM
.30 Carbine is great but my question is why did the op feel he had to 'build it up' by tearing down another cartridge? To each there own! I wouldn't pay $1300 for an M1 carbine either nor would I complain about them and there owners.

I have, on other forums, the 5.56 x 45 and .223 rammed in my face and down my throat so intently that I gag every time I even think about it. After the first 5000 times of hearing about it, I stopped being diplomatic and began to become angry. I wouldn't normally even refer to it, but the "old saws" and opinions are exhausting. The platform is fine, but I won't burn a calf on the altar of Eugene Stoner.

Not everything is about the AR or it's derivatives. I tire of hearing about it. In the immortal words of Rhett Butler in "Gone With The Wind": "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."

Please, gnoahhh don't troll.

Powder Burn
03-24-2016, 03:23 PM
I just sold my Standard Products M1 Carbine on another site that included:

Original bayonet and scabbard, snap caps, 3 (15 rd) mags, magazine pouch, bolt tool, nut wrench, 3 books, (1) data sheet, hard case for $900 and that included shipping and insurance. I even threw in some spare parts for funzies, so they can be had for a lot less than $1,300. I didn't reload since ammo was cheap so I don't have any powder/boolet recommendations. Great little rifle though.

gnoahhh
03-24-2016, 03:50 PM
I have, on other forums, the 5.56 x 45 and .223 rammed in my face and down my throat so intently that I gag every time I even think about it. After the first 5000 times of hearing about it, I stopped being diplomatic and began to become angry. I wouldn't normally even refer to it, but the "old saws" and opinions are exhausting. The platform is fine, but I won't burn a calf on the altar of Eugene Stoner.

Not everything is about the AR or it's derivatives. I tire of hearing about it. In the immortal words of Rhett Butler in "Gone With The Wind": "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."

Please, gnoahhh don't troll.

Sorry, didn't mean to sound that way (nor do I think I was). On the other hand, being new here perhaps you don't realize that by posting a bombastic comment you're going to be answered with opposing viewpoints. A measured comment will receive measured responses.

Captain O
03-24-2016, 04:41 PM
gnoahh: No offense meant. There was no "bombastic" intent. It was a preemptive statement, in an attempt to avoid the unavoidable/inevitable deluge of "you don't want an AR!?" line of tripe. It grow weary of it. The "plastic rifle" whose stock is reminiscent of a Mattel toy has little, if any, soul. By the way, I have a Remington 870 loaded with buckshot, and dislike the idea of blowing 5" holes in my walls. The .30 Carbine, loaded with soft points, tends to make smaller holes, and I can place them precisely​ where I want them.

Thumbcocker
03-24-2016, 09:18 PM
For years our house gun was an Inland Korean reimport hanging in the closet with 15 rounds of soft point j words in a 30 round magazine. Mrs. Thumbcocker felt more confident with it than a handgun. Really thought about getting a bayonet for it. Puts weapon retention in a whole new light and then there is the psychological effect.

gnoahhh
03-24-2016, 10:59 PM
I think a 5" hole in the drywall would be the least of my concerns if I shot somebody. Self defense? Shoot to kill. Defending the flat screen TV? Not so much.

I will agree that I would rather have a small carbine or shotgun than a pistol in the home if I can help it. Having been in a defense situation indoors twice in my life, I'm here to tell you the fear/pucker factor is something (for a civilian without intensive training) that will make that gun hand that is dead steady at the range turn into a quivering lump when the boogeyman is coming down the hall in the dead of night...

Captain O
03-24-2016, 11:28 PM
I used to work in Armed Security and have held an idiot, or two, at gunpoint. I am familiar with the "pucker factor" and the adrenaline dump that goes with it. Stressfire is something that is learned. You're not born to it, but if you learn to use the energy to your advantage, it goes a long way toward "steadying your hand".

Knowing you are in the right helps a great deal.

guicksylver
03-25-2016, 09:54 AM
W-e-l-l-l-l...interesting thread.

I had a couple of those rascals back in the mid 60's to early 70's, one (my favorite) was a US Postal Meter, beautiful thing, Flat top bolt, flip up rear sight, no bayonet lug, beautiful workmanship all around.

Then I had two Winchesters, ugliest dang things you ever saw, looked like the metal was finished with a wood rasp, all the above guns were original GI.

Why were they popular then?

Easy answer, they were cheap about $60.00 at the time ( you could buy a mint m1 Garand for the same price) and so was the ammo, I bought 2,500 rounds for $25.00.

Everyone else did the same.

Once the ammo was gone everyone quite shooting them.

I like others put k's of cast boolits through them with no problems what so ever.

I enjoyed those little carbines, I also had a Ruger BH in 30 carbine.
What could be better?

Well the answer is simple AR's hit the scene, along with plenty of cheap ammo.

Honestly I can not remember the last time I saw M1 carbine ammo for sale.

As I said I really like the little rascals but for $1,300,00 there are a whole lot of other guns that can out pace it.

No need to rationalize the purchase though , you can buy a 30-30 for $200.00 or $2,000.00 either way you made a pretty good decision.

Personally I could see spending the money for an original , but I would have to swallow hard to fork over that kind if dough for a repro.

Captain O
03-25-2016, 11:08 AM
Honestly I can not remember the last time I saw M1 carbine ammo for sale.

As I said I really like the little rascals but for $1,300,00 there are a whole lot of other guns that can out pace it.

No need to rationalize the purchase though , you can buy a 30-30 for $200.00 or $2,000.00 either way you made a pretty good decision.

Personally I could see spending the money for an original , but I would have to swallow hard to fork over that kind if dough for a repro.

You weren't looking for any, were you? In my opinion, what counts is accuracy and reliability. Whether it is cast, or forged, as long as it endures.

It doesn't matter what can "out pace" it. When they introduce a self-loading .30-30 that is as light as a .30 Carbine, we can discuss it. Before you jump onto the 7.62 x 39 analogy, I already have one.

Thank you!

runfiverun
03-25-2016, 11:23 AM
well Remington done just that with the 30RAR and it got passed over by the cool crowd.
too bad too that little round has some good potential.

Captain O
03-25-2016, 01:31 PM
well Remington done just that with the 30RAR and it got passed over by the cool crowd.
too bad too that little round has some good potential.

Sad that it didn't catch on. If I ever buy an AR rifle, it will probably be a .308 (AR-10) rifle. IMHO, this is the only practical AR for any application I have in mind.

As I have said before, I can see no purpose for a .22 caliber rifle on the AR platform. The .308 can do any task the .5.56 x 45 is generally called upon to perform... and then some. You are more than welcome to them, I don't want one.

Take care.

guicksylver
03-26-2016, 11:00 AM
Captian O ...Stick to your gun.

I can tell you really like them and I understand.

I feel the same way about the AR's , I bought two Colts when they became available back in the early '70's.

I rattle those loose and did not bother with them again until the early '90's when I bought a H-bar for the NRA HP shoots.

I used it with good success for about 5 years then put it away and just shot it again after 20 yrs.

It works ,it's accurate it's no fun for me so back in the safe.

What am I shooting now ( and have been for 50yrs), my '03's.

They are not black, there are far better guns out there, heck not too many of the new guys even know what they are.

But I enjoy them and in the end that is what counts.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Dan

SSGOldfart
03-26-2016, 12:08 PM
I used to work as an Armed Security Officer and have been shooting since 1961. I was six years old. (I came into the world on December 1st, 1954). I served in the Navy beginning July 19, 1973. (Aviation Machinist's Mate, (Jet). Dad was Boatswain's Mate 1st Class, Underwater Demolition Team/Navy Rifle Team. (Passed, but not advanced, to Chief Petty Officer 13 times). I learned to shoot and harvest small game at my "daddy's knee"! (You get my drift).

On duty, I began by carrying a 6" barreled Colt Trooper Mark III. In later years I carried a Glock Model 20 (10mm Auto). I always shot as well or better than my fellow officers. (The company never really backed us, and if we ever shot anyone, when it came to liability, we were "on our own"). I have been a revolver fan since my first Smith & Wesson 4" barreled Model 28 "Highway Patrolman" when I was a Sophomore in High School. I love all my arms of many calibers (from .22 lr through the .45 ACP Charter Arms Pitbull that i'll be getting in this August).

All of this aside, I really get a charge out of the .30 Carbine because it is a low-recoiling piece of "bad boy" in a light 5 lb., 3 oz. package. At 100 yards, a full-power 110 grain soft-point .308 caliber bullet is steaming along at 1601 fps and still generating 626 foot pounds of energy. I can't understand why people think that this cartridge is "weak" or "wimpy". (At the muzzle the "full-tilt" load is running 2000 fps and cranking out 977 foot pounds of energy in the 110 grain Hornady FTX load).

The beauty of the .30 Carbine, is that within reasonable ranges, it kills varmints, deer and at short ranges, is a real "man stopper" load. Since it's such a "soft shooter" it is so easy to shoot accurately, and a real pleasure during a summer's afternoon in the field. Just "kicking it around" the meadows with the little .30 Caliber slung upon my shoulder... Almost heaven. :D

Isn't it cool?captain look at the 30-06 with the same bullets you'll see why some call the little 30 caliber wippy.
I fill like they all have a place,but I'll never give up on the 03a3 Springfield M1 Grand,which is the granddad to the😷 little M1Carbine/ Good luck with your carbine I think your missing a lot of the enjoyment of owning a nice piece of history,by not using cast lead bullets in the carbine with today's lubes and alloy mixes you shouldn't have leading issues. I guess that's my opinion.:-o

sghart3578
03-26-2016, 10:07 PM
I have read through this thread twice and still don't know what the OP wants, other than to start a fight.

If you know so much already why waste our time? I get the feeling that any load recommendations we gave you wouldn't be up to your standards. And since you can't be bothered with using cast bullets, why are you on the cast bullets forum?

Motor
03-26-2016, 10:39 PM
To each his own I guess. But right now you can buy a new AR-15 made by a reputable U.S. manufacture for under $500
Yes you will need to put a sight of some kind on it but so what.

Loaded with the right ammo it will do anything the 30 carbine will do and at twice the range.

That my friends are just the simple facts, like it or not.

Motor

Captain O
03-26-2016, 10:56 PM
I have read through this thread twice and still don't know what the OP wants, other than to start a fight.

If you know so much already why waste our time? I get the feeling that any load recommendations we gave you wouldn't be up to your standards. And since you can't be bothered with using cast bullets, why are you on the cast bullets forum?

If you have nothing relevant to add, why bother posting? I wasn't "spoiling for a fight" I just know what I want and don't want. I don't need the rest of the world to tell me that the 5.56 x 45 is what I want (or need). I guess neither sghart3578 or motor, could resist posting what they feel is important.

What someone else wants isn't important. Just their perspective.

Good day to you.

Motor
03-26-2016, 11:46 PM
What you need is a Ruger mini 14 :)

If you didn't want the world telling you what you want or need why did you bother posting on a public forum ?

I frequent three different forums on a regular basis (3 different web sites). The people here are some of the most polite on any forum.

Here we are 36 posts in and nobody has even mentioned the fact that you posted your OP on a forum called "Cast boolit loads in military rifles" and in your OP clearly stated that you had no intention of shooting cast bullets.

I'd say you have been treated pretty kindly.

Good day to you. Well actually good night and Happy Easter.

Thank you for serving. I sincerely mean that.

Motor

Captain O
03-27-2016, 02:23 PM
I are would get ar15 in 556 it is so more better then 30 carbine.

Manwithnoplan: Evidently there are those who either misread, or did not receive, the memo. Did you just leap to the end of the thread, or have you been drinking? It seems as if your moniker should be "Manwithoutaclue".

Captain O
03-27-2016, 08:02 PM
On the M1 Carbine Forum, I read an account under a thread entitled: "What WWII weapons could hold their own today?". The soldier related that during his qualifications with the M16, he brought his M1 Carbine and out shot every individual in the outfit except one!

This nullifies the "the 5.56 x 45" is the "world beater" everyone makes it out to be.

Marksmanship is still king!

Set, point and match.

Captain O
03-27-2016, 08:08 PM
How well would a soft lead, 108 grain lead RNLHP with a 2 grain gas check compare to a 110 grain Soft Point? would it be a better option for terminal upset than the Soft Point?

guicksylver
03-28-2016, 09:43 AM
CO.....You did not specify what "soft Lead " means,
but let's assume it is ACCOWW's.

The only cast boolit I put through my carbines was Lyman's 311359 , actually I think it was an earlier version.

It has a nice sharp point, it weighted more like 120 Grs with the gas check, with a good charge of 2400 it was accurate and provided 100% feeding and functioning.

Today if I was going to try hunting with the carbine I think I would try one of the NOE 311 115gr boolits with a good metplat.

I don not know how well a too soft of a boolit with a HP would survive in the mag and being shoved up the feed ramp.

The cast boolit IMO should provide higher velocities with more boolit weight.

All this giving you more punch where it is needed.

I also think the trend these days is away from the HV , light boolits to "Heavy for Calibre".

If you think of the 30 Carbine round as a high intensity hand gun round instead of a rifle cartridge
you might approach your bullet choice from a different angle.

Much like shooting 357 or 44 mag from lever action rifles, or better yet the Ruger 44 mag semi auto.

Just my opinion.

sghart3578
03-28-2016, 09:51 PM
If you have nothing relevant to add, why bother posting? I wasn't "spoiling for a fight" I just know what I want and don't want. I don't need the rest of the world to tell me that the 5.56 x 45 is what I want (or need). I guess neither sghart3578 or motor, could resist posting what they feel is important.

What someone else wants isn't important. Just their perspective.

Good day to you.

I stand by my post your arrogant prick. This forum is about cast bullet loads in military rifles.

You made it clear in your original post that you only wanted info on jacketed loads.

You are the one who has a reading deficiency and/or nothing to add.

I now ask the moderators for their opinion. There are other forums for the info you seek, maybe you should take your sorry *** over there.

Captain O
03-28-2016, 10:10 PM
Thanks for showing you vulgar side. Good show! Do you kiss you wife with that mouth? If you have nothing to add, please don't.

OS OK
03-31-2016, 10:32 AM
"Well Capt I had an idea from your original post that you were out trolling for arguments. You do seem to be an arrogant little puss and a know it all to boot. I'd be willing to bet that you get into screaming matches with your 'load manual' also.

Why don't you just 'hit' the 'log out' button and do all of us a big favor…we are here to discuss things…you haven't gotten that concept down yet…'You Tube' will appeal to your 'acting talents' much better than here where the 'Bullspit' doesn't fly. Nobody over there will argue with you because few, like you…actually 'know their butts from their armpits much less a hole in the ground!'

So…how do you like that…sonny boy?"…OS OK

dromia
04-03-2016, 03:00 AM
Enough!

This place is about cast boolits, guns and shooting not about peoples egos.

Stop the personal attacks and references, get back on topic and play nice.