PDA

View Full Version : Two part question in regards to Hornady L-n-L AP press.

allen16323
03-22-2016, 09:37 PM
First part: Can the LNL bullet feeder be used with powder coated boolits? I know it says "not for lead" but I was thinking is that because the lube on traditional cast? Anyone run PC thru the bullet feeder?

Part 2: The powder thru expanders, can they be set to expand the case mouth enough to be used with PCed lead?

New to the Lock-N-Load AP press and need advice.

rancher1913
03-22-2016, 09:51 PM
yes and yes, but no and no.

I have been able to use the boolit feeders with the smooth sided boolits made for powder coating(they do not have any lube groves). if you use cigarmans adapter for a layman sizer and push them through base first rather than the lee push through sizer that does nose first it seems to help a lot. going base first does not leave a lip on the bottom of the base and going nose first leaves a slight lip on the base that the feeder does not like. the boolit feeder likes smoth sides and smoth bases to function right.

the powder through expander will open the case enough for cast boolits but I have only done the smooth sided cast boolits and have not tried any with lube groves but they should fit ok

OS OK
03-26-2016, 12:13 PM
The expander…adjusted properly, works fine on any style PC'd boolit…they are the only ones I've been running for a couple years now. Love that LNL press!

2alpha81
03-27-2016, 09:33 PM
The expander…adjusted properly, works fine on any style PC'd boolit…they are the only ones I've been running for a couple years now. Love that LNL press!
Agreed...I have a LNL running 99% cast/coated boolits and it works fine. It took some tweaking to get the expander right and every now and then a boolit doesn't come through the collet on the bullet through die, but not a deal breaker.

allen16323
04-14-2016, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Now I am just hoping Hornady makes a bullet feeder/seater die for the 762 bullet feeder that works with 300blk.