PDA

View Full Version : Redding Big Boss II or CH4D Champion?

cmonti77
03-22-2016, 04:40 PM
I need a new single stage press, and I want it to be my last one. I've settled on either the Redding Big Boss II or the CH4D Champion.

Can anyone who owns a CH4D offer any advice? Is there any reason to choose it over the Redding?

Thanks.

M-Tecs
03-22-2016, 04:47 PM
Cast steel frame on the Champion. Great press but the new ones don't have a slot for a primer arm. Don't have the Redding so I can't comment.

seagiant
03-22-2016, 08:16 PM
I need a new single stage press, and I want to be my last one. I've settled on either the Redding Big Boss II or the CH4D Champion.

Can anyone who owns a CH4D offer any advice? Is there any reason to choose it over the Redding?

Thanks.

Hi,
Really?

Not even close!

The CH Champion is probably the most robust, strongest, bench sized press ever made!

Only thing close is the RCBS A2!

Can't touch cast STEEL!!!!

r1kk1
03-22-2016, 09:55 PM
Champion. No contest. Solid heat treated ram that is drilled through for primer disposal. Most ergonomic press I own. A monster.

Take care

r1kk1

odis
03-23-2016, 01:23 PM
I've owned a BBII since 13 and find it an excellent press. I like the hollow ram primer disp. I'm not sure what you need the new press for but I have used mine for 222rem 30-30 243 and 30-06. I have never used the CH4D but it is obviously a highly regarded press.

cmonti77
03-23-2016, 02:12 PM
I only reload 2 calibers -- .41 Magnum and 480 Ruger, because their respective ammo cost necessitates it. Right now, I don't do any heavy rifle resizing or swage work, so I wonder if the CH4D is overkill for my present needs. On the other hand, if I ever got into reloading large rifle calibers at some point in time, the CH4D might prove a good investment.

Does anyone know how long the current wait is for the CH4D? I have to imagine it's not a "stock" item, but rather made-to-order.

Ickisrulz
03-23-2016, 02:30 PM
The Champion is also made for some bullet swaging. CH4d has its own swage die sets that many of us have used to give this aspect of ammo making a try. I don't know if the Big Boss 2 is meant for such work.

seagiant
03-23-2016, 05:51 PM
I only reload 2 calibers -- .41 Magnum and 480 Ruger, because their respective ammo cost necessitates it. Right now, I don't do any heavy rifle resizing or swage work, so I wonder if the CH4D is overkill for my present needs. On the other hand, if I ever got into reloading large rifle calibers at some point in time, the CH4D might prove a good investment.

Does anyone know how long the current wait is for the CH4D? I have to imagine it's not a "stock" item, but rather made-to-order.

Hi,
I'll stick my neck out and say they are ready to ship!

A call would be better though, nice people, and their work is 2nd to none!

The CH4D Champion is a LITTLE more money than the Redding, but to me is the bargain!!!

I found mine on the Bay, but was very lucky as the seller didn't even know what make it was!

Still cost me a little money, but it is just an excellent press, and after owning this one, would buy one new if I wanted one!!!