PDA

View Full Version : Star reloading machine

abunaitoo
03-21-2016, 11:04 PM
I got a Star reloading maching from the house I helped clean out.
At the Gunshow this weekend, I met a guy who was friends with the owners of the Star Reloading company.
He's a reloader and still has a number of Star machines.
A little fact he told me about why the primer tube holds only 80 primers.
He told me, back in the days, primers sometimes would go off when filling the primer tube.
I know it can happen. Two people I know had it happen to them. I saw the hole through the roof.
Star did some testing to see how many primers it takes to make it happen.
They found that with only 80 primers, it would be safe.
That's why their primer tubes only hold 80 primers.
He also told me what to parts to watch that tend to break.
Also some things to check to make it run smother.
I kind of forgot most of it, but he said he'd be glad to help me get it running again.
You meet some of the nicest people at Gunshows.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
03-21-2016, 11:14 PM
Are you talking about the primer pickup tubes or the primer feed tubes on the press? My tubes on the press hold 100 primers.

starreloader
03-21-2016, 11:28 PM
I've never had a problem, all 5 of my STAR's take 100 primers at a time... But I also do not use the heavier primer follower rod that Star supplied.. I replaced the Star heavy follower rods with an aluminum rod.. Great reloading presses over the many years.

seagiant
03-23-2016, 06:05 PM
Hi,
I had three at one time in different calibers!

Still the best Pistol Press reloader EVER made!!!

dverna
03-23-2016, 07:22 PM
I had two and like an idiot sold them both.

The Dillon 1050 is a better machine. It is the only other press I know of that primes on the downstroke.

seagiant
03-23-2016, 09:27 PM
Hi,
Well....I bought 2 of mine for $500 ( for both)

And a Dillon 1050 is what now $1700? (I don't really know?)

But....You are putting the STAR in pretty good company!

wv109323
03-23-2016, 10:14 PM
My primer pick-up tubes holds 78 primers. It is when you drop them in the tubes on the press you can get detention. I have heard that crushing a primer when inserting it in a case can cause a detention also.
As far as price I was at a Gun Show in Charlestion,WV about 15 years ago. A table had a Star reloader and Lubri-sizer. The press had the powder hopper knocked off and the threads in the powder slide housing messed up. The lubri-sizer had the bolt that holds the handle on missing. I asked the price and he said $60.00. I asked for both the press and Lubri-sizer and he said yes. They came home with me. The press had an ID number that indicated that it was from the WV Penitentiary that had closed in Moundsville WV.

rbwillnj
03-23-2016, 10:40 PM
Most Star reloaders use Primer Magazines and Primer Pickups that hold about 75-80 primers. However, Star did produce and offer primer magazines and primer pickups that hold 100 primers. The original standard primer magazine is 13" long. The 100 primer version is 15 1/4" long. Not sure why Star standardized on the smaller primer magazine, but I doubt if it was due to fears about primer explosions. Primer explosions can happen in any machine, and a stack of 100 primers in a Dillon is no different than a stack of 100 primers in a Star, RCBS etc.

I have plenty NOS 100 primer versions of primer magazines and primer pickups in stock.

Bruce Williams
Star Machine Works
www.StarMachineWorks.com