PDA

View Full Version : Using a Lee Pro Auto Disk Powder Measure with a Lee 4 hole turret.

HeadLead
03-21-2016, 07:00 PM
So I have 2 measures sitting around collecting dust and I needed to find a way to use them without modifying them so they could be used again on my Lee Pro 1000. I am currently using my Lee Auto Disk Powder measure on the Pro 1000 in station #1, then seating and crimping in 2 & 3. As such I had no powder measure for my Lee Classic Cast 4 Hole Turret Press. So this is what I came up with. I could have purchased a retrofit and converted the Pro Auto Disk to the spring actuated operation but this was more expedient and a darned site less expensive.

I drilled a hole in the 4 hole turret. See attached picture. I then used the items shown here in the pictures to allow me to use the measure unaltered.

164158 164156 164157

Works like a champ and cost less than $5.00.

flyingmonkey35
03-22-2016, 04:19 PM
Great fix.

tazman
03-22-2016, 11:10 PM
Good idea. I went to Lee's web site and ordered the other style powder lever and spring. Works fine for me.

JeffG
03-24-2016, 11:07 PM
Good idea, very nice

HeadLead
03-25-2016, 06:47 AM
I have drilled and tapped a second 4 hole turret so it would not be necessary to use a nut under the turret. The measure cycles and drops consistently. I may make this a permanent presence on my Classic Cast.

HeadLead
04-04-2016, 09:22 AM
I checked the accuracy of drops against the Lee Auto Disk Measure (the one typically used on the 4 hole turret) and found the Pro is consistently more accurate. By only .1 or .2 but it does drop more precise charges.

If you have an old Pro Powder Measure sitting around. Give it a try. I may even drill and tap my Hornady LNL AP.

tazman
04-04-2016, 04:37 PM
I checked the accuracy of drops against the Lee Auto Disk Measure (the one typically used on the 4 hole turret) and found the Pro is consistently more accurate. By only .1 or .2 but it does drop more precise charges.

If you have an old Pro Powder Measure sitting around. Give it a try. I may even drill and tap my Hornady LNL AP.

That is because of the tighter tolerances and better wiping system for the top of the disk. The pro is the only version I use. I do use the spring return system instead of the chain. I've never had a problem with it.