PDA

View Full Version : What a score! So I thought:(

Seeker
03-21-2016, 05:20 PM
I was in my office this afternoon and a local contractor friend of mine came walking into the shop. He says " I've got some lead for you" We talked for awhile, then I said "well, let's go see what you have" On the way out he says "it's a 100 lb bucket and I have 2 more if you want them" I began to get a little excited. He then says " They've never been opened, it's brand new lead" Then I was confused. This is what he brought me. It's the thought that counts, right? We opened it up to see what was inside and this is what we found. I'd never heard of nor seen anything like it before. Apparently, it's a paint additive for putting the "Lead" in lead based paint.
http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb321/grandpabear1/reloading/20160321_161158.jpg
http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb321/grandpabear1/reloading/20160321_161209.jpg
http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb321/grandpabear1/reloading/20160321_163143.jpg
Ohh, there was a piece of 3" lead pipe about a foot and a half long with a nice solder joint. :)

bosterr
03-21-2016, 05:26 PM
Back in the day, linseed oil was mixed with white lead to make paint. It's what flakes off in old buildings that kids wanted to chew. Causes brain damage among other bad things.

Scooby
03-21-2016, 05:42 PM
cool looking cans If you could figure out where to properly dispose of the contents, it would make a nice conversation piece.

Smoke4320
03-21-2016, 05:47 PM
Condor killer you have right there :) :)

Hickory
03-21-2016, 05:50 PM
Back in the day, linseed oil was mixed with white lead to make paint. It's what flakes off in old buildings that kids wanted to chew. Causes brain damage among other bad things.
One of the very worst side affects of the brain damage is, it also made them want to vote democrat too.

Seeker
03-21-2016, 06:09 PM
Although he's Republican, I'm pretty sure my son in law was allowed to eat paint chips when he was little....

NY_Treeguy
03-21-2016, 07:45 PM
I thought my son in law was the only one....

Although he's Republican, I'm pretty sure my son in law was allowed to eat paint chips when he was little....

leadman
03-21-2016, 10:59 PM
I haven't seen anything like that in many years. Detroit diesel had a product called white lead they used on head bolts and such for their diesel engine to seal them. One very toxic form of lead. Glad I was a Cummins mechanic.

Nueces
03-21-2016, 11:34 PM
At the USAF machinist's school, Chanute AFB, 1969, we were taught to use white lead as a lubricant for lathe tailstock centers. Few things work as well and small cans of that Dutch Boy stuff, in good condition, go for big bux in ebay.

You might be able to turn that trove into some $$.

Greg S
03-22-2016, 12:02 PM
Have your friend get ahold of some old school sign painters, they'ed probably dispose of that for him, otherwise it is spendy to get rid of in 'that' packaging.

Hardcast416taylor
03-22-2016, 02:00 PM
Even if you could somehow make boolets from that stuff, keeping gas checks on while lube sizing would be a real problem!Robert

gwpercle
03-22-2016, 08:20 PM

Old school whitewash....that's what Huck Finn used on that fence !

M-Tecs
03-22-2016, 08:29 PM
Wish I had your problem. Best dead center lub ever. I ran out about 10 years ago.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/white-lead-replacement-200100/

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/threads/8071-in-shop-cans-of-white-lead-paste

leeggen
03-22-2016, 09:27 PM
We used white lead on the pelican hooks and the threads on turnbuckles aboard ship. Salt water had very little effect on the metal threads. Works much like anti-seize we get all over ourselves when working on cars and such. Huh maybe that is why sailors are a little crazy.
CD

justashooter
03-22-2016, 10:52 PM
whitewash for fencing was lime water with linseed oil.

white lead is to be used as is or added to color for painting on steel or other metal surfaces, or used as a primer. red lead is another base color for darker final colors. either are biocidal in the extreme, and were often used in boat yards until recent decades for painting hulls, interiors and topsides, in wooden boats especially.

specifically, white lead was used as a soaking paste in laying canvas on wooden boat decks to give a durable slip resistant surface that will never mould or blacken, and in painting interior hull timbers. it is toxic to fungus and parasites, like ship worms.

it was also used by artists in oil based painting as a color base.

offer this to a boat yard that builds wooden boats in the classic pattern. they will pay you handsomely for it to use in special period restorations.

bangerjim
03-22-2016, 11:54 PM
Democrat-maker in a can! HA......ha!

Very dangerous nasty stuff. The EPA would love to find that stuff. It is considered a hazardous material by today's standards.

It is the stuff that all the rug rats used to chew off the old paint in old homes. And cause brain damage and birth defects. White lead was about the only way they knew how to make paint white in the olden golden daze.

Today it is titanium white......non toxic.

I have no idea what you will do with that stuff! That amount is the makings of an EPA super sight recovery plan!

banger

badbob454
03-23-2016, 04:00 AM
did you try to burn it and see if it will melt into a pure lead puddle , its probably gonna smoke like crazy i would try a little in a cast iron pan and when it starts smoking throw some wood chips in it and light the smoke and see if it will go back to a pure lead form.

bangerjim
03-23-2016, 02:24 PM
AND STAND UPWIND!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WAAAAAY UPWIND! Dangerous fumes there. You could get a year's worth of lead constamination in you in a few minutes breathing that carp.

banger

Seeker
03-23-2016, 05:10 PM
I'm giving it back. I seen that the can might be woth something. I'll tell him that.

triggerhappy243
03-23-2016, 08:16 PM
trade it to the epa for some real lead

exibar
03-28-2016, 11:26 PM
heck, pull some out in mason jars and sell it to machinists and lathe operators! That stuff can be like gold... then sell the cans themselves.... you have a small cash crop on your hands there

smokeywolf
03-29-2016, 01:25 AM
White Lead is center point lube. Now we use "extreme pressure lube"; usually the green and yellow tube of CMD Extreme Pressure Lube.