PDA

View Full Version : SCHULTZ & LARSEN 22lr target rifles

tazman
03-21-2016, 04:05 PM
I went into a gun shop I had never been to before and found a rack with 8-10 older Schultz & Larsen target rifles in 22LR. They all have match type target sights on them with the original stocks and appear to be in good, usable condition. Not really good enough for collector but good shooters.
They were listed in price from $375-400.
How good were these rifles and are the prices about right?

enfield
03-21-2016, 08:49 PM
Price sounds about the same as we have in Canada, if it's a pistol grip stock, some have adjustable triggers but the earlier ones do not. If there is a hole in the trigger near the top, it's adjustable. I'm very happy with mine, heavy barrel, nice sights and trigger. I see some advertised with "rings" I bore so it would be worth looking, I believe they saw lots of use where they came from.

30calflash
03-26-2016, 02:27 PM
LGS had them a couple years ago, none since. Nicely made and looked to be worth a try.

A friend noticed the match rear sight didn't have clicks to them, so counting the graduations would be the rule. Not a big deal if you run at one distance most of the time.

enfield
03-26-2016, 09:45 PM
They don't actually have graduations. just one mark for 50 ( yards/meters?) that you can zero and that's it.

snipin101
04-03-2016, 08:06 PM
I bought my S&L years ago and continues to be one of the most accurate .22 rifles I have ever shot. I pulled the sights and drilled and tapped mine. Great fun to shoot balloons at 200 and three hundred yards. Target in bottom pic is regular at 100 yards.165311165312

tazman
04-03-2016, 08:47 PM
I bought my S&L years ago and continues to be one of the most accurate .22 rifles I have ever shot. I pulled the sights and drilled and tapped mine. Great fun to shoot balloons at 200 and three hundred yards. Target in bottom pic is regular at 100 yards.165311165312

That's the kind of feedback I was looking for.
Thank you.

Pioneer2
05-20-2016, 10:48 PM
Just got a S+L m70 and I'm wondering what bases you used for your scoping project? Any chance of close up pics of the mts position in relation to the action? Thanx Harold

Forrest r
05-21-2016, 08:32 AM
The s&l m70's were selling for around $300.

Allot of people drilled and tapped the s&l m70's and used weaver #s45 scope mounts.

They made around 7,500 m70's and there are early and late m70's (late are actually m77's). The later m70's (m77's) had better triggers. The difference between the early m70's and the late m70's is that the early m70's had a detent holding the bolt in and the later m70's that have the better triggers had a flat piece of spring steel on top of the receiver under the rear sight that is turned to get the bolt out.

The bolts are the weak link to the m70's. They had extractors but no ejector so some ammo has to be picked out of the receiver. The bolt also has no lugs and it locks the same way as other cheap 22lr bolt actions, on the bolt handle. Make sure the bolt is tight and right upon inspection because it's next to impossible to get a replacement.

The sights take a standard .675 (anschutz/lyman) front sight insert and the rear sight takes a 7/32-40 threaded peep.

The other thing to look for is make sure the front sling swivel has no play in the stock. The m70's have no rail and the front swivels tend to get loose on rifles with heavy use.

That's an excellent target that snipin 101 posted but that isn't the norm for the majority of the m70's out there or they wouldn't be selling for the little $$$ they are getting for them. Along with they would be highly sought after in the rimfire community.

Pioneer2
05-21-2016, 02:30 PM
The rifles we been getting here in Canada are cutting 1/2" at 50 yards with ammo they like with the straight peeps.I don't think they're anywhere near worn out.Haven't even had a chance to shoot mine yet.Busy bear hunting for now.....Harold