PDA

View Full Version : PRIMING…HAND, BENCH, PRESS or during PRODUCTION?…methods/issues/QA controls?

OS OK
03-21-2016, 11:30 AM
"I would like to have an 'in-depth discussion' about 'priming', all the facets and considerations.
After loading for all these years, how have you ended up doing that task?
Any special preparations for priming?
Why?
Do you have a dusty box full of priming tools you have given up on for some reason?
What was the issues with or how did you modify those tools?
Do you have a favorite method or tool now?
Do you have several ways to prime depending whether it's rifle or pistol?
Why?
How much importance do you place on priming or is it one of those things that don't really matter too much…as long as it goes 'bang'?
Do you know that there are standards set for depth of primer seating?
Standards for the primer application…ever had a 'slam fire'?
Have you ever had a primer go boom during seating?
Why?
Have you ever had a primer set 'proud' and jam up the whole works?
Ever had a tube or tray of primers go boom?
Do you sprinkle primers on the floor when you use them?
When you are done loading a 'box-O-plinkers'…how many of those primers have you inspected along the way?

I could ask questions all day but that is not the issue here. In my loading career 'priming has evolved' because of installation tools then and now and has evolved in my shop because of safety concerns and my personal standards, either way…it has evolved.
The new thread about the 'Lee Bench Prime Tool' has gotten a mixed bag-O-comments that include answers to some of the above questions I posed here.
Lets see if we can get a discussion going here that concentrates on the issues and tools and doesn't drift 'too far' into how much we dislike one Manufacturer or the other. Poor manufacturers have it coming…let them have it, just cover the issues you had to deal with also, OK?
I think that there is much more to consider about priming a brass case than most consider and are aware of…especially the 'Newbies' on the block.

Please…have at it and post pictures…a picture is worth a thousand words.

Thanks for your responses…OS OK

PS…Please post/pic's of your old style tools that we have never seen…this is an education for me for sure!

DerekP Houston
03-21-2016, 12:03 PM
I prime on my lee turret press, I looked at the hand held units but its just easier to seat and keep going with the operation. I have gotten my depriming pin stuck on 380 and 9mm cases.

jmort
03-21-2016, 12:09 PM
I love priming tools and have a few. A fleet of Lee Round Tray Hand Primers, The Lee Ergo Prime and now the upgrade kit for it. Ram Primes from Lee and CH4D. Two RCBS bench mounted Auto Primes with dedicated quick mount plates from InLine for my ultra Mounts. And now two Lee Bench Mounted Primers. I also have two of the press mounted Lee Auto Primes, I believe they are called Auto Prime IIs and are in demand, as are the Lee Round Tray hand primers. These "dangerous" no longer in production work well and are rightly prized. Then, most of my presses have a built-in priming "system." Generally, I prime and deprime off the press. I have never had a primer stand proud as I inspect every single primed case. Right now, if I had to continue with only one tool, it would be the Lee Bench Mounted Primer. Going to get Inline to do quick mount plates for them and my Ultra Mounts. For accuracy, simplicity, and feel, the Ram Primes are great with my Lee Hand Presses. I like to deprime off the press in order to keep as much debris/crud away from the press as possible. And for this I highly recommend the Harvey Hand Deprimer. I have a couple and they are fantastic tools.

farmerjim
03-21-2016, 12:27 PM
For Small primers and 45 acp large primers, I use the RCBS hand prime. For all other large primers I use the on press primer, either Lee turret, or my rock chucker.

mdi
03-21-2016, 12:41 PM
I started priming with a Lee Loader (and it ain't really bad when used in an arbor press!). From there I used the stock priming arms on my presses. This was all pre-web, and then I found reloading forums on line and read all about how great hand priming tools were. I got a Lee hand prime in '87 and while it did work pretty good, I think it didn't quite fit my hand as I had to reset the tool in my hand after every squeeze and my hands cramped after 100 or so cases. I tried three more hand tools with the same results, two Lees and a Hornady. I discovered ram priming and used that method for several years with a dedicated C-H "C" press. Then just recently, I bought a Lee Bench Prime tool and so far I've primed around 500 cases with no problems and the last three or four sessions I have primed a full sleeve of primers (100) non-stop.

I prime all my brass by "feel". I feel when the primer hits the bottom of the pocket and I haven't had a misfire from incorrectly seated primers in mebbe 25 years. Rifle and pistol cases are treated the same; seat all the way to the bottom and make sure the primer is below flush (I quit measuring the "below flush" measurements a loooong time ago). I don't treat primers with any extrordinary methods as long as my fingers ain't dripping with oil. I've sprayed primers with WD40 after reading about someone wanting to "kill" some primers, but after 4 or five hours it still fired. I don't take any special precautions storing primers just keep in original bricks and sleeves in a Tupperware tub.

Primers and their use is quite a contentious subject, all you gotta do is read a thread or two about "can I substitute xxx primers for XXX primers?" and you'll see a lot of "facts" that can vary greatly...:-P

Char-Gar
03-21-2016, 12:45 PM
I don't think there is any best way to do it. The object is to seat the primer firmly in the bottom of the pocket without enough pressure to crack the primer cake. The primers will be a few thous below the case head. This can be done with the press, or by using a hand primer.

I tend to use hand primers, either an RCBS or a Lyman priming die in the 310 tool.

I am not a progressive loader, so I deprime (with a 310 tool) and prime and then go to whichever press I use to size, expand and seat the bullets.

I charge the cases in batches of 50 and shine a strong light into each case to make certain the powder charge is there and not a double charge.

My way of doing things is slow, but there are no mistakes. In 55 years of loading, I have never had a primer detonate during the loading process. I check each primed case by feel and if there is a primer slightly high it get seated properly.

In the mid-90s, I took a foray into a Dillon progressive loader, but soon quit the darn thing. I had too many high primers and one overcharge. I know folks like them, but they don't suit my fancy.

C. Latch
03-21-2016, 12:45 PM
I usually use the robs hand primer for more than 10 rounds of ammo but prime on my press (rcbs rock chucker) if I'm only loading a few rounds.

Its common for me to load 3-10 rounds of whatever and walk out on the porch and shoot them after work, so I prime a lot on the press.

Rick Hodges
03-21-2016, 12:55 PM
My favorite so far are Lee round trays....used for many many years without problems, even with Fed. primers. I purchased the Lee Ergo and "meh" it doesn't feel as good and I get more hangups in the feed tray.

I recently purchased a Forster Co-ax bench primer and after some fiddling (removing a tit left on the primer seating stems that left what looked like a firing pin indentation) it works very well indeed. The set up is a little fussy but for long runs/with extra primer tubes it will be my go to tool for priming. Excellent feel and I love the way it gives my thumb a rest.

I have never had a primer explode on me....I have got careless and seated a few upside down and even sideways...(with the Lee)
Seating primers below flush has never been an issue. I prime off of the press always and deprime all crimped primers manually with the old hammer style Lee rod.

I am not a high volume loader. I may load a couple hundred handgun rounds at a time. This is what works best for me.

OS OK
03-21-2016, 01:13 PM
I started priming with a Lee Loader (and it ain't really bad when used in an arbor press!). From there I used the stock priming arms on my presses. This was all pre-web, and then I found reloading forums on line and read all about how great hand priming tools were. I got a Lee hand prime in '87 and while it did work pretty good, I think it didn't quite fit my hand as I had to reset the tool in my hand after every squeeze and my hands cramped after 100 or so cases. I tried three more hand tools with the same results, two Lees and a Hornady. I discovered ram priming and used that method for several years with a dedicated C-H "C" press. Then just recently, I bought a Lee Bench Prime tool and so far I've primed around 500 cases with no problems and the last three or four sessions I have primed a full sleeve of primers (100) non-stop.

I prime all my brass by "feel". I feel when the primer hits the bottom of the pocket and I haven't had a misfire from incorrectly seated primers in mebbe 25 years. Rifle and pistol cases are treated the same; seat all the way to the bottom and make sure the primer is below flush (I quit measuring the "below flush" measurements a loooong time ago). I don't treat primers with any extrordinary methods as long as my fingers ain't dripping with oil. I've sprayed primers with WD40 after reading about someone wanting to "kill" some primers, but after 4 or five hours it still fired. I don't take any special precautions storing primers just keep in original bricks and sleeves in a Tupperware tub.

Primers and their use is quite a contentious subject, all you gotta do is read a thread or two about "can I substitute xxx primers for XXX primers?" and you'll see a lot of "facts" that can vary greatly...:-P

"I cut a piece of radiator/heater hose to slip on that 'midget' handle and put a short strip of double sided tape inside on the back of the tool…the hose stays put. It feels 'ergo' and I don't cuss at it too much anymore!
OS OK

trails4u
03-21-2016, 01:26 PM
RCBS hand primer for pistol and rifle plinking. If I'm weighing charges rather than throwing them with a measure (i.e. hunting/serious target loads), it's a slow process anyway, so I'll prime on the press..usually my ever trusty Lee Turret.

jmort
03-21-2016, 01:34 PM
"I cut a piece of radiator/heater hose to slip on that 'midget' handle and put a short strip of double sided tape inside on the back of the tool…the hose stays put. It feels 'ergo' and I don't cuss at it too much anymore!"

Get this upgrade kit for your XR and you will be living large.

http://www.titanreloading.com/priming-tools-and-shell-holders/xrergo-prime-tray-update-kit

XR/ERGO PRIME TRAY UPDATE KIT

Brand: Lee Precision (http://www.titanreloading.com/lee-precision)
Product Code: 90794
Availability: Out Of Stock

$10.00
$8.00

OS OK
03-21-2016, 01:44 PM
"I cut a piece of radiator/heater hose to slip on that 'midget' handle and put a short strip of double sided tape inside on the back of the tool…the hose stays put. It feels 'ergo' and I don't cuss at it too much anymore!"

Get this upgrade kit for your XR and you will be living large.

http://www.titanreloading.com/priming-tools-and-shell-holders/xrergo-prime-tray-update-kit

XR/ERGO PRIME TRAY UPDATE KIT

Product Code: 90794
Availability: Out Of Stock

$10.00
$8.00

Recently I moved to this RCBS…with another hose on the flat handle to make it more 'palm friendly'…now the Lees reside in the cabinet.
I wish I had bought this one back in the 70's!..or as soon as they appeared.

Thanks for the update info…didn't even know that would work. Is there any problems with the primers wanting to flip or hang up on the hinge area when they slide to one side to close the lid?

jmort
03-21-2016, 02:00 PM
I have two of the RCBS bench mount Auto Primes sans rubber hose. They are great tools. But, mine are quickly being replaced by the new Lee Bench Mount Primer. The RCBS primer tubes are a PITA compared to the Lee primer tray. I have had no problems with the update kit on my Ergo Prime.

Texas by God
03-21-2016, 02:09 PM
When I was 12 I learned reloading with a Lee loader. I was loading for my Enfield revolver/.38s&w. Mom and Dad would let me bang away during commercials and stop during the program. This worked well until I was given some old Western round faced primers(in the wood tray cardboard box- you old farts remember them?) I went to priming cases and pretty soon pow! My folks raised their eyebrows, I assured them I was fine and continued. Next time it happened Dad suggested I move to the bunkhouse. I ended up with 90 primed cases and a lovely blood blister on my left hand where I held the priming rod. Over the years my all time favorite tool is the Lee Auto prime. The zinc levers break long after they've paid for themselves. I like the ram prime tool for small runs of precision loads. The RCBS hand tool I have is brilliant some days and other days-eh. I do like the shell holder system. I still use the rattletrap bench mount aluminum tube RCBS sometimes but it kind of scares me a bit. PLEASE always remember that primers are the most dangerous aspect of reloading- if it doesnt

OS OK
03-21-2016, 02:16 PM
"Welcome to the Forum…Texas by God…"

Born/Ark…Raised/Texas/...Lived/Kalifornia…I guess I'ma TexArKalifornian!

Lead Fred
03-21-2016, 02:34 PM
I have them all. milsurp rifle cases get the RCBS bench mount, and just about everything else.
Honrady hand primer is only used for small pistol primers, 38/357 & 45ACP.
The whack a mole Lee kits, Ive done 800 45ACP & 500 38 special, sitting by a camp fire in the Cascades.

Each system has its purpose and value

gwpercle
03-21-2016, 02:34 PM
I have three priming tools.
The one that's on my bench mounted single stage press, a Lee hand priming tool (old one, roung tray , thumb operation) and a priming tool for the little Lee hand Press.

The thumb operated Lee gets most use. I can use it inside my house where its heated and cooled. My shed is not. Sit in easy chair and prime away. I also like the better feeling it gives.

The tool that attaches to the Lee Hand Press gets used when I don't have my hand primer available or if I don't have the right priming tool shell holder. You use your standard reloading press shell holder with it. It came with the Lee Hand Press Kit years ago along with a set of dies. Lee no longer sells the kit....you have to buy everything seperatly .

Gary

jmort
03-21-2016, 02:38 PM
"Lee no longer sells the kit....you have to buy everything seperatly"

It is a "Ram Prime" and yes, the kit lives on

LEE BREECH LOCK HAND PRESS KIT

Product Code: 90180
Availability: In Stock

$54.59

http://www.titanreloading.com/image/cache/data/D2g/handpresskit2-600x600.jpg

Including the new Lee Breech Lock Hand Press. The world's most popular hand press, more convenient than ever, now includes the Breech Lock Quick-Change Die Feature, so you can instantly change dies with just a twist of the wrist.

The Breech Lock Hand Press is a full size reloading press that tips the scale at a mere 1 3/4 pounds. It gives you plenty of stroke with lots of power to handle the largest magnum cartridges.

Whether loading at the range, in your easy chair or in a small apartment, you can't beat the Hand Press.

This kit is great for beginners--the kit and set of dies is everything needed to start reloading.

Includes:
Hand Press
1 Breech Lock Bushing
Ram Prime
Powder Funnel
Case Sizing Lube

Mk42gunner
03-21-2016, 07:20 PM
In forty years of reloading (off and on) I have never set off a primer while priming.

I started with a Lee Loader for .410, shortly followed by one in 20 gauge. My uncle had an old Texan press for 12 gauge trap loads. Sometime around 1980-81, my best friend traded into an RCBS Rockchucker and we loaded a lot of .22-250's for coyotes; priming on the press and dipping powder from a coffee cup into the scale pan with a teaspoon.

Late 80's early 90's I was loading at various friends houses, (the Navy frowned on doing it on board ship) and got to try various press mounted and hand priming units.

Not real impressed with Dillon's, used both the Square Deal and the 550B. I have never had so many upside down or sideways primers in my life.
The Lee auto prime doesn't fit my hand very well.
The RCBS hand priming tool fits and uses standard shell holders. It is what I have used since I bought the first one at a Del Mar gun show all those years ago.

I do have a Lyman ram prime but have never used it. It came in a box of stuff for $4.00 at an auction.

Most of my presses were bought used and didn't have the original priming setup when I bought them anyway. I don't worry about it, I just use the RCBS tool.

Just remembered I have a few Lyman 310's laying around, they work well.

Robert

Bayou52
03-21-2016, 08:04 PM
My favorite priming tool is the out of production RCBS Posi-Prime hand priming tool. It's very smooth to operate and is easy on the hand. Primers insert smoothly. It's manual feed and uses standard shell holders.

I've used a Hornady hand primer and a Lee hand primer, but the Posi-Prime wins "hands down" :). It's smooth, clean and crisp.

Here's a snap of it, as I feel quite certain some folks have never heard of it or even seen one, as it's been out of production for over 20 years:

http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg578/Bayou413/r_zpshrmluy99.jpg (http://s1244.photobucket.com/user/Bayou413/media/r_zpshrmluy99.jpg.html)

Also, I've never detonated a primer while priming, I'm thankful enough to say.

Bayou52

Le Loup Solitaire
03-21-2016, 08:57 PM
I use the Lee ram prime; in fact I use two of them....one is set up for LP and the other for SP. They work on any press including the Lee hand press. They're slow but sure. I also use the Lyman 310 tool which may be out of date, but the priming die is slow to change when going to a different caliber. LLS

sghart3578
03-21-2016, 09:06 PM
I reload 14 different calibers.

All pistol and 45-70 gets deprimed/primed/loaded on my Lee Classic Turret.

My 30-30, 30-06 and 7X57 gets primed on my Lee Classic Cast single stage. The 30-30 gets full length sized and then primed while the 30-06 and 7X57 get neck-sized only then primed. Those three are then loaded on an RCBS Turret Press.

223 is the labor intensive one for me. After F.L. sizing/depriming, it gets trimmed, reamed, then primed by hand with my Lee Ergo Prime, then off to the Lee Pro 1000 or Dillon 450. I go back and forth on that one.

EDG
03-21-2016, 09:24 PM
I primed a year or so with a C press. First on the upstroke where the instructions expect you to size the case and prime without cleaning the primer pocket.
Then I primed on the C press with the linkage reversed. This primed on the down stroke sort of like the feel you get with a ram prime.

Then Lee started selling the screw top hand primer for about $2 (at discount houses) around 1970. I really liked this tool and eventually wound up with 5 or 6.
I still use it most of the time.

Along the way Lee discontinued the screw top tool so I tried the new designs. I never liked any of the newer ones with the attached trays - round tray and the Ergo prime and sold them. I do have a pair of rare Lee tools that were sold early in the life of the round tray tools. These were made by Lee by cutting off the feed tray on the round tray models.
I have a really nice K&M tool and I don't like it either.

I have a bench tool made by RCBS. This is the single hand feed tool that was never widely sold. I can prime anything that I have a shell holder for with this little tool and the feel is good too. You cannot prime .50-70 with the Lee tools that use the special shell holders. There are no shell holders made for the 50-70. You can use the Lee or RCBS ram prime. These work really well.
There are a lot of other hand priming tools that I have not tried because what I use works ok.

When running large volume reloads I use the on the press priming of a Dillon.
All my priming is done by feel.
And that gets to another subject that needs discussion. That is dealing with primer pockets that are stretched, too shallow, unlevel on the bottom etc.
Worn and stretched primer pockets affect primer seating and retention and leak prevention. It is possible to gauge the pockets but no one seems to do it.
We can also discuss uniformers and reamers and crimp removal tools.

Bzcraig
03-21-2016, 10:18 PM
Use the Lee Ergo Prime, waiting for the 'update kit.' I enjoy priming off press and save it for some to do during cold/hot weather when the garage is uncomfortable.

Hick
03-22-2016, 12:22 AM
I use the RCBS Hand primer. I actually have two. One is permanently set up with a shell holder that works for my three rifles (30-30, 30-06 Garand and 32 WS), the other is permanently set up with a shell holder for my 38 Special pistol. I like the RCBS because of the metal separator that keeps an individual primer, should it go bang, from setting off those in the tray. I have never had one go bang, so I don't know for sure that the metal separator will really help. I always wear eye protection and tilt the primer away from me, so that the primer flame would go up and away if one goes bang.

I use two because I have found that setup of the RCBS primer sometimes leads to erratic seating. With them permanently set up I haven't seen any problems.

After priming, I place the cases neck down in a tray. I then run my fingertip across every single case to verify that none feel high. I also look at every case to be sure that none of the primers have unusual dents or marks. One of the reasons I do hand priming instead of with the press is that I can more easily do this quality check for the whole batch all at once.

I always prime in batches (usually batches of 50). From my records I've primed just over 7000 so far without a mishap using this approach (fingers crossed).

MT Chambers
03-22-2016, 12:52 AM
I've gone through Lee and RCBS hand primers and they are not used anymore, I use the 310 tool for priming or my Co-ax press, both are very solid with good feel.

GhostHawk
03-22-2016, 08:46 AM
For the last 3 years I have used the RCBS Universal hand priming tool.
No shell holders to change, works flawlessly.

Before buying I researched hard, lee = lots of complaints and problems.

RCBS = all happy customers who said they would buy again.

My experience is the same, saving for a second so I no longer have to switch between large and small primers.

No, never had a primer go off. Recently was talking to an old friend of mine, gun store owner, retired.
He was looking at a 100 round box of ammo I had reloaded.

"Bill you prime these" Yep, "What you use"? RCBS universal hand tool, why.

"I don't think I have ever seen 100 rounds loaded by hand that looked more uniform. Depth is perfect, no marks, crushed primers, or mistakes. Bill these look like factory rounds"

Well obviously I was glowing. I look up to this man a lot.

I find it faster and easier than priming on the press, plus more flexible.
I can prime in the living room watching Hickock45 on Youtube, or gunblast, or TFB, or you name it.

The universal means I never have to fuss with shell holders.
And I will be buying a second soon so that my days of having to take it down to swap sizes will be over.

Texas by God
03-22-2016, 08:52 AM
"Welcome to the Forum…Texas by God…"

Born/Ark…Raised/Texas/...Lived/Kalifornia…I guess I'ma TexArKalifornian!

Thank you sir. I have some kin in the San Bernardino mountains-beautiful country, nice people! I love Arkansas as well! Where in Texas were you raised?

Wayne Smith
03-22-2016, 09:31 AM
Started with the Lee wack-a-mole kits and set of a couple primers purposely so I wouldn't be so suprised when it happened accidently. Got a RCBS JR3 and loaded for years priming each case on that. Got the Lee hand primer, used it but got some sideways and upside down - and then broke the handle. Went back to the JR3. Got the RCBS hand primer, two of them. The Universal shell holder is nice but a real ***** to change from large to small. Got a TrueLine Jr and shell holders and a primer ram for my Hollywood Sr and I'm back to one at a time on the press. Never had one sideways or upside down this way. I tend to be a deliberate batch loader, no progressives here. My Brown Bair three station is the closest I come to that.

Arisaka99 now has and uses my Jr3.

Dan Cash
03-22-2016, 10:06 AM
I prime with the built in priming tool on Dillon 550B and Redding T7 presses with some exceptions. When off press priming is desired or required, I use the Forster Co-Ax primer. No special shell holders, seating depth is consistent and it is fast. It is not a project tool that requires user modification for comfort or satisfactory use.

CraigOK
03-22-2016, 12:41 PM
I like to size and reprime on my single stage press, then load most things on my 550b.

mdi
03-22-2016, 01:27 PM
Thanks OS OK, had I seen your hose modification, I might have tried it, but I found two ways I prefer more than hand priming; ram prime and Lee Bench Prime...

Lead Fred
03-22-2016, 01:36 PM
Lets talk primer pocket prep.

Being that Ive been using L.E. Wilson case prep tools since I met Mr Wilson in 1966.

I do a lot of 30-06 milsurp cases. These tool does the best job Ive seen on primer pockets

http://www.lewilson.com/primerpocketreamer.html

Walter Laich
03-22-2016, 05:30 PM
I remove all the dies and primer system in my SDB, takes about 5 minutes. I then run my brass through the press depriming and dropping into the collection bin. It works like a progressive but all it does is deprime.

Use SS chips to clean which really cleans primer pockets shiny.

Put them in reloading trays to check for split cases or non-reloadable ones.

flip them over using another tray to primer pockets are on top

Quick spray of case lube in pockets.

reassemble press and primers seat perfectly and with no problems. I do batch cleaning and reloading so usually 250 or more cases at a time.

ArrowJ
03-22-2016, 05:45 PM
I prime with the built in priming tool on Dillon 550B and Redding T7 presses with some exceptions. When off press priming is desired or required, I use the Forster Co-Ax primer. No special shell holders, seating depth is consistent and it is fast. It is not a project tool that requires user modification for comfort or satisfactory use.

Do you use the slide prime unit on your T7? I just started using it on my BB2, and I feel like I am putting too much moxy behind it. Some times it feels like the primer goes right in and others like it needs more. Maybe I just have not got the feel for it as I have only done 250 9mm cases (all federal headstamp •FC•. What is your experience Ike with this tool? I put a weighted dowel rod behind the primers and it seemed to work great for three out of four tubes full, then I got a jam.

GONRA
03-22-2016, 05:49 PM
GONRA uses, REALLY LIKES the small bench mounted RCBS tool EDG pictures.
(RCBS Standard Priming Tool 09512 and RCBS Primer Rod Assembly 09471.)

Bet RCBS could sell lottsa these - but they aren't made any more...
Do all conventional priming on it except for 9mm and .45ACP Dillon SMG blasting ammo.
Dillon’s Just Fine in my experience….

Can make a similar tool using a (slightly modified) Lee Reloader Press 80045.
7/8-14 threaded shell holders.
Use with an eclectic assortment of purchased and homemade tooling
for .50 BMG Boxer, 8mm Berdan (20 mm Solothurn and Lahti) and
9mm Berdan (14.5mm Soviet) priming.

OS OK
03-22-2016, 07:09 PM
Thank you sir. I have some kin in the San Bernardino mountains-beautiful country, nice people! I love Arkansas as well! Where in Texas were you raised?

A little town called Spring Branch, out hwy. 10 (Katy fwy.) I think it is within Houston's city limits now. When I was there we were out of Houston Cit/lmts by 15 miles.
Now I'm about 1600 miles out in NO. Ca.. Just stayed here after the USMC. Had some fine times down there!

dverna
03-22-2016, 11:54 PM
Either a Star or Dillon 1050. Primes on the downstroke of the press. No "feel" needed.

fast ronnie
03-23-2016, 01:00 AM
rcbs auto bench prime. I like the rubber hose idea someone else pictured because it can make your palm sore after 3 or 4 hundred. I think I'm going to try that on mine. I loaned my Lee auto prime to someone who forgot where it belonged. After I got the auto bench primer, I'm glad the Lee is gone.

Idaho Sharpshooter
03-23-2016, 02:54 AM
Interesting, the primer issue one poster has/had with the Dillon system. A friend and I started shooting IPSC so far back that everyone was shooting single-stack 45acp and nobody had used a comp yet.
We split the cost on an SDB in 45 acp, and used it for so many years, we filled up two three lb coffee cans with spent primers. We finally wore it loose, and sent it back. They just sent us a new one after asking how we managed to do it. I have six now, and the first one was $179.50 shipped. The last one was about a hundred dollars more.

Never been much of LEE fan, probably too old fashioned after starting with a Tong Tool and a spent case with a wire thru the primer hole for a dipper.

shaner
03-23-2016, 04:59 AM
I use a ram prime II on a Lee c press. I know that they are done right the first time.

Ole Joe Clarke
03-24-2016, 03:54 PM
The Priming Department at my house.

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad123/olejoeclark/Reloading/20160324_143114_zpsvk4tcidj.jpg (http://s928.photobucket.com/user/olejoeclark/media/Reloading/20160324_143114_zpsvk4tcidj.jpg.html)

The RCBS is mounted on a movable setup. I use it for large primers only, and it usually rests under the table.

The Lee gets most of the work, on small primers, since I shoot a lot of pistol. The rocking chair and the Lee is a good combination.

Have a blessed day.

ghh3rd
03-24-2016, 04:42 PM
Thankfully, I've never set off a primer either - have always used the system that fits on my Lee presses. I'd like to get a hand primer, but the more I read, the more confused about which one is most desirable.

I did get the #$%^& scared out of me once by my son -- while seating a primer he snuck up behind me and popped a balloon!

David2011
03-24-2016, 08:05 PM
After loading for all these years, how have you ended up doing that task?
RCBS Bench Priming Tool, single stage on-press, Lee priming tool, Dillon presses
Any special preparations for priming?
Yes, if the brass is Mil Surp and crimped, with Hornady primer pocket reamers in a Lyman prep station
Why? So the primers will fit.
Do you have a dusty box full of priming tools you have given up on for some reason? They all still get used. I inherited some that I haven't found useful.
What was the issues with or how did you modify those tools? The Lee, IMO, MUST be disassembled, cleaned and lubed with a good quality grease from time to time. It lowers the internal friction and reduces the stress on the zinc handle.
Do you have a favorite method or tool now? Most single stage priming is with the RCBS Bench Priming Tool.
Do you have several ways to prime depending whether it's rifle or pistol? Yes.
Why? Most pistol is primed on the Dillons. Most rifle is primed one at a time. High power handgun rounds are loaded on the single stage equipment as I don't load large volumes at one time. For me that would be .44 mag and .45 Colt for Ruger and Contender loads.
How much importance do you place on priming or is it one of those things that don't really matter too much…as long as it goes 'bang'?
I try to seat all primers with the same effort applied, staying aware of the feel of seating. For high speed high volume such as .40 S&W for USPSA, I doubt it is terribly critical.
Do you know that there are standards set for depth of primer seating? Yes
Standards for the primer application…ever had a 'slam fire'? No
Have you ever had a primer go boom during seating? Yes, once on the Dillon. Knew it was sideways. Couldn't get the case out. Knew it was going to pop. Scared the poo out of me anyway.
Why? See above.
Have you ever had a primer set 'proud' and jam up the whole works? See 2 above.
Ever had a tube or tray of primers go boom? No
Do you sprinkle primers on the floor when you use them? Not deliberately. Caught a box with a tool once and scattered them everywhere.
When you are done loading a 'box-O-plinkers'…how many of those primers have you inspected along the way? Everything I load is for USPSA, long range practice, hunting or testing. I don't really load much plinking ammo. All primers are inspected by touch. I find that to be much more reliable than just looking. I do intend to shoot more .38 Special and .45 Colt lighter loads this year; will still check the primers.

David