PDA

View Full Version : Who's experimentin with spray-on coatings?

C. Latch
03-21-2016, 08:47 AM
I'm sort of surprised that I don't see more discussion of spray-type coatings (epoxy or polymer paints) here.

Anyone spray-painting their bullets with good results?

RP
03-21-2016, 08:23 PM
I have used epoxy paints on AKs with get results, Strip it down heat it up in the oven that will float the oils out clean do it again until no trace of oils grease is showing. Paint it with the appliance epoxy paint from lower the rattle can type and bake it. It holds up great and is very durable, yea there is better ways of doing this but its cheap and works for me.

C. Latch
03-24-2016, 12:38 AM
Nobody's spray-painting their bullets?

RP
03-24-2016, 11:39 PM
If I remember right a few were trying out some sprays but results were not that great and it died off.

Smk SHoe
03-25-2016, 09:11 PM
Still like the epoxy in a can for large quantity's of .223 bullets. very quick. Have been doing a lot of PCing but the rattle can works fine for the small bullets. I can spray them a couple times to get good coverage, when dry pick them up with my fingers and place them on the tray. no worrying about powder coverage. Still think PC is a better coating, but a couple hundred .223 bullets picked up out of ASBB's with tweezers will make you go :oops:

noisewaterphd
03-25-2016, 10:32 PM
If you want epoxy type finishes, there isn't much that can beat Hi-Tek.

Rattle cans are not cost effective, and they do not perform as well as Hi-Tek or PC.

bangerjim
03-25-2016, 11:43 PM
Spray cans are 70% solvent and propellant. VERY expensive!

There are numerous threads over the past 3 years so years discussing at-length spray "painting" boolits with everything from refrigerator enamel to epoxy. I have tried all of them with very little success.

The only type that sorta worked for me is VHT engine epoxy/paint. About $12/can and you waste a ton of it just spraying. And you still have to bake at 250F for 20-30 minutes! You get it at auto stores. Get a can of the black if you want to "rattle and spray" to see if it works for you.

I whole-heartedly recommend sticking to BBDT or ESPC powder coating for speed, low cost, and quality of coat. We now call it "polymer jacketed", so that tells you it is definitely different than just "painting" boolits!

I went thru a couple cans of VHT a few years ago and the cost was totally prohibitive. And the coat was not that thick. Not the 0.002 we get with PJ's. Many use powder to enlarge thier boolits.

Do what best fits your needs. Polymer jacketing fits my (and thousands of others on here) needs 110%!

banger

gpidaho
03-26-2016, 12:00 AM
Fellow Idahoan and CBA member mtngun is having interesting results using polyurethane. Check out his thread over at the Cast Bullet Assoc. forum Gp

Smk SHoe
03-26-2016, 06:02 PM
I agree with Bangerjim, rattle cans work, BUT, not cost effective and not the best way.