PDA

View Full Version : Check powder after assembly

icor1031
03-20-2016, 02:47 AM
Are bullet and case, primer weights consistent enough that I can weigh the finished round to see if a certain cartridge has more powder?

dudel
03-20-2016, 05:32 AM
Generally not. How big of a weight difference are you looking for? Did you sort your cases by headstamp? Did you weigh the empty cases? Did you sort your Boolits by weight? If you did not, then not much of a chance. Can't take random components, and expect a consistent result.

EddieNFL
03-20-2016, 07:46 AM
Larger cases, yes. Smaller handgun cartridges, maybe, if cases sorted.

Sasquatch-1
03-20-2016, 08:09 AM
I weigh .40 S&W cases for swaging. I find up to a 2 to 3 grain difference in the cases. Seeing as this can be a major difference in a powder charge for most handgun cartridges, I would say no you can't, unless as stated you weigh each piece of brass and each bullet first. Easier to weigh each powder charge and check each case prior to seating bullet.

mdi
03-20-2016, 12:11 PM
The best you could do by weighing, maybe, is to see if the cartridge has powder in it or it's empty. With rifle charges you prolly would be able to tell if one cartridge is 40 grains lighter. Handgun loads; nope...

Either way, there are several measures (methods) of insuring each case is charged with powder...

Lead Fred
03-20-2016, 01:12 PM
Best way is when you have filled the lot, look in every one to see the powder levels.
Something Ive been doing since 1961.

Before you stuff the pill onto the case