PDA

View Full Version : Shot my first set of 30-06 reloads today....

LAKEMASTER
03-20-2016, 12:41 AM
I had 20 reloads total

10 of each with 155gr ranchdog bullets sized to 309 and bll... Bullet was 10 thou off lands

10 gr unique

18 gr unique.

Sadly, my scope was grouping 14" high.... I broke a bore snake in the barrel and I think the 3lb hammer/Padded rod made the scope untune.......elevation didn't work 😵😵😵😲😲😲

For what it's worth.... The groups looked really good for each load. That is, while aiming at the bottom of the target to kinda hit the middle

When using fast powder like this, is it safe to use fatter bullets? When I slugged my barrel (3 times) the bullets came out at 307.5(or something really weird) and everyone said I had an uncommon barrel Dia. I'd like to see if I can tighten the groups up a little.

Hick
03-20-2016, 01:18 AM
What kind of velocity are you getting? I've recently started playing with 10 gr 700X under 150 grains (in my M1) and getting around 1300 fps

LAKEMASTER
03-20-2016, 01:35 AM
I have no idea... Don't have a chrony

Scharfschuetze
03-20-2016, 02:03 PM
I've shot a lot of Ought-Six loads with Unique over the years with great sucess, although usually with a heavier boolit.

The 10 grain load with your boolit should be between 1,200 and 1,300 fps give or take a few fps.

The 18 grain load is probably pushing the limits with this powder and boolit combination but should be about 2,000 fps.

You've really bracketed the useful load range for Unique at 10 and 18 grains. Try something in the middle and I'll bet you'll find your sweet spot for accuracy somewhere there.

Too bad about the scope. I hope you find a fix for that.

dannyd
03-20-2016, 03:52 PM
I use Unique in my 300 mag (165 RCBS sil) and 30-30 (Lee 150 FN) love it.

LAKEMASTER
03-20-2016, 10:53 PM
So when the phrase (your pushing the limits with 18gr of unique)

Does this mean the bullet will strip and accuracy will not exist?

Or my gun will blow up in my face?

jcren
03-20-2016, 11:46 PM
Stripping lead first but remember pressure spikes quick with fast powders. Most big 30 cals like a little more than 10 grains. Seems like starting at 10 or a little less, ease up a 1/2grain at a time until accuracy drops off. Back up to the last loading and you have your guns sweat spot.

Scharfschuetze
03-21-2016, 07:21 AM
So when the phrase (your pushing the limits with 18gr of unique)

Does this mean the bullet will strip and accuracy will not exist?

Or my gun will blow up in my face?

I just checked the Lyman CBH #3 and it shows a maximum load of 17.0 grains of Unique for a 150 grain boolit for 1,964 fps

The Lyman #4 CBH shows charges all the way to 24.0 grains for a 160 grain cast boolit for 2182 fps at 56,700 PSI.

I have no idea why there is such a disparity between the two books. Data in #4 is probably based on equipment that is much more advanced than the 1970s technology of CBH #3.

If you have a chronograph, you can chart your velocity increase per grain of powder easily. You'll find that velocities do not increase commensurate to higher pressures or the amount of powder once you get up to top end loads. With a chart, it's easy to see where your efficacy per grain of powder starts to fall off. That's usually a pretty good place to start moderating your charge amount.

My personal experience with the Ought-Six and Unique is that velocities in the neighborhood of 1,800 fps give me the best consistency and accuracy. Velocities on the high end will require the best in lead alloy as well as lubricant. Mid range velocities are much more tolerant of both.

If it's high velocity that you're after, there are several threads here on the subject. A quick search should find them. For the utmost in accuracy sans leading, rifling twist, alloy, lubricant and powder choice all become important factors the faster you push a boolit.

LAKEMASTER
03-21-2016, 08:56 AM
I just checked the Lyman CBH #3 and it shows a maximum load of 17.0 grains of Unique for a 150 grain boolit for 1,964 fps

The Lyman #4 CBH shows charges all the way to 24.0 grains for a 160 grain cast boolit for 2182 fps at 56,700 PSI.

I have no idea why there is such a disparity between the two books. Data in #4 is probably based on equipment that is much more advanced than the 1970s technology of CBH #3.

If you have a chronograph, you can chart your velocity increase per grain of powder easily. You'll find that velocities do not increase commensurate to higher pressures or the amount of powder once you get up to top end loads. With a chart, it's easy to see where your efficacy per grain of powder starts to fall off. That's usually a pretty good place to start moderating your charge amount.

My personal experience with the Ought-Six and Unique is that velocities in the neighborhood of 1,800 fps give me the best consistency and accuracy. Velocities on the high end will require the best in lead alloy as well as lubricant. Mid range velocities are much more tolerant of both.

If it's high velocity that you're after, there are several threads here on the subject. A quick search should find them. For the utmost in accuracy sans leading, rifling twist, alloy, lubricant and powder choice all become important factors the faster you push a boolit.

I'm not interested in speed now. I think I'll reload some unique loads from 17gr and work down... I do think for fun, I'll try some fast unique loads just for giggles... I'm saving your info you posted. So far unique and 3006 have been really confusing when it comes to (where do I stop)

There's 100 discussions about gallery loads. And only contradicting info about hot loads

LAKEMASTER
03-21-2016, 08:57 AM
Scharfschuetze

You've been a great help, thank you for your information and taking the time to help me

Yodogsandman
03-21-2016, 11:02 AM
[QUOTE=LAKEMASTER;3586690]I do think for fun, I'll try some fast unique loads just for giggles... I'm saving your info you posted.

These guys are trying to tell you that Unique is for slower loads and NOT fast loads! Listen to them! Slower burning powders are better suited for faster loads, pressure wise. Don't go blowing your face off! The pressures will rise very quickly with any faster burning pistol or shotgun powders. Go slow and in small, incremental steps, checking at each step for signs of over pressure.

LAKEMASTER
03-21-2016, 06:52 PM
[QUOTE=LAKEMASTER;3586690]I do think for fun, I'll try some fast unique loads just for giggles... I'm saving your info you posted.

These guys are trying to tell you that Unique is for slower loads and NOT fast loads! Listen to them! Slower burning powders are better suited for faster loads, pressure wise. Don't go blowing your face off! The pressures will rise very quickly with any faster burning pistol or shotgun powders. Go slow and in small, incremental steps, checking at each step for signs of over pressure.

What I meant was trying 18-20gr of unique and seeing if I get any accuracy...

Is Stopping 4gr away- 20% from a max load in a published book still that dangerous?!!!

Scharfschuetze
03-21-2016, 08:43 PM
[QUOTE=Yodogsandman;3586829]

What I meant was trying 18-20gr of unique and seeing if I get any accuracy...

Is Stopping 4gr away- 20% from a max load in a published book still that dangerous?!!!

Most of us usually follow the formula of starting low and then working up gradually. This gives us a chance to evaluate accuracy at the different pressure/velocity levels. Cast boolits can be finicky at time what with alloys, sized diameters, and lubricants. Given that, the slow and gradual approach is generally favored in developing a load and gives you a much better insight as to what your rifle/powder/boolit combination is doing. I guess someone more educated then me would call it the "scientific method." Change one thing at a time. In this case upping the powder charge gradually from the low end.

I usually keep a graph when working up a load for each boolit design and powder. It reflects charge weight, velocity and accuracy at each step.

With jacketed bullets, velocities at the upper end usually produce the best accuracy in my varmint and match rifles, but in my cast boolit rifles, lead projectiles generally group the best at the upper two thirds level or on average about 1,800 fps with powders that burn in the 4198 or 4759 rate. While others will report different results, that's how it works for me. I guess that's what makes shooting lead interesting.

Yodogsandman
03-21-2016, 08:50 PM
It certainly can be! Lyman did not use your rifle for their pressure testing. They tell you to work up loads slowly, watching for signs of excessive pressure. They have no idea how you're going to use the data or if your components are exactly the same as they used to develop the load data. Have you cross referenced that load data anywhere else?

Please, be careful out there.

guicksylver
03-23-2016, 11:03 PM
Everything above.....13 to 14 grs of Unique should give you best accuracy.

What gun has a groove diameter like that?

You should be sizing to the throat not the groove.

See pound cast for info on that.

.310 to
311 should be your bulley dia.

guicksylver
03-24-2016, 09:18 AM
All good advice .... but what really counts is what happens down range.

That being sad, here is my experience with Universal ,essentially the same thing as Unique.

These are all NOE molds.

I included a second group with the 332 'cause some say groups like this are flukes.
I assure you they are not , it is what I expect from these fine old guns.

Actually the 365 generally does better than the group posted above.

By the way 4 groove and 2 groove barrels group the same with about the same loads.

One last note these were all shot the same day on one sheet of paper and with one sight setting.

Hope these help...Dan

Boolseye
04-02-2016, 01:14 PM
Anything over 10 or 12 grains I'd think about a slower powder. Just my $.02.
there is so much that can be done with fast-medium burning rifle powders (and dacron fillers, if you are so inclined). I only use a fast pistol powder like Unique for light loads. A lot of the early Lyman manuals seem to largely discount using many powders in combination with cast bullets, and thus only list loads for 5744, 2400, Unique and the like. There are other options. I don't know if they have caught up with the CB community yet over there at Lyman....
-BE

Ben
04-02-2016, 03:07 PM
Go slow and in small, incremental steps, checking at each step for signs of over pressure.

You're being offered GREAT advice.

Ben

Shooter6br
04-02-2016, 08:51 PM
My American Enfield (sporter) likes 17.5 g 2400 with a 200 g GC bullet. As I believe Col Atkins said" You cant go wrong with a 30-06" Damn straight

Shooter6br
04-02-2016, 08:59 PM
5 groove barrel