PDA

View Full Version : Hornady lnl problems

bell9440
03-19-2016, 10:38 PM
I got my new lock and load press and it has been pretty frustrating. The primer system keeps binding on the way up. It seems like the primers are binding on the recess the is machined for the primer ram. Also getting the shell plate tightness just right is a pain. Had more misfeeds in the seating die causing the brass to strip the copper plating off the bullet then I have ever had.

ReloaderFred
03-20-2016, 01:15 AM
It sounds like you're not belling the case enough to accept the plated bullets. There should be enough flare of the case mouth that a bullet will stand in the mouth by itself without tipping. Plated bullets have a thin coating of copper, and it's relatively delicate during the seating/crimping process.

As for the priming problem, call Hornady customer service and they'll talk you through the process. If they decide you need new parts, they'll send them to you free of charge.

Hope this helps.

Fred

bell9440
03-20-2016, 11:50 AM
the problem with the primers seems to be the primers dragging on the lip where the punch screws in. There is a recess around the punch about 1/16" and this seems to be where they are binding.

omgb
03-20-2016, 11:56 AM
Go to Youtube and look for LNL setup videos. These will help you fix your trouble. The primer system relies on some very precise adjustments at set up if it is to function correctly. Dial it in right from the beginning and you should be pretty trouble free. Very few of us can get what we need from the written instructions, they are just too general sometimes. I'm certain the videos will be a huge help.

cheese1566
03-20-2016, 01:57 PM
Yep on the YouTube vids. There is one guy there who has about 6 videos showing good info on set up and tuning a new one.

i took his advice and used a lock washer under the shellplate bolt. Plus the advice of lightly running wet/dry sandpaper on the shellplate carrier and primer system to remove burrs.

the new LNL presses only need the shellplate bolt snug. It will only tighten so far and there really in no tension adjustment. Now, the old projectors were different and the shellplate nut had to be properly adjusted....not so on the new LNL.

bell9440
03-24-2016, 08:26 PM
well it is working good now. I was not tightening the shell plate enough. I was doing it like the youtube videos say and it was working loose. I tightened it down tighter and that fixed that issue. The primer problem was the burr around the hole for the primer anvil. I polished it and that problem went away. Thanks for all the help.

Carrier
03-24-2016, 08:46 PM
Go here. Watch these and you will have it working very well.

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLByND7BRp-e0J7qDS_C9gIzfzEWzn10Hl

David2011
03-24-2016, 09:14 PM
Glad you got it fixed. You still might try CCI primers of they suit your needs. They feed smoother than other primers in my Dillons.

David

OptimusPanda
03-24-2016, 10:53 PM
I keep a split ring lock washer on my shell plate screw the keep it from loosening up. If I remember right I think it's a 3/8". Does yours have the new style break away primer shuttle caming wire?