PDA

View Full Version : All I'm gonna get from the Scout

Taylor
05-04-2008, 07:53 PM
I think this may be the best I'm gonna get from this carbine.I do plan to use 777 and see what happens.

TCLouis
05-05-2008, 12:27 AM
What is the range?
Which holes are in the group?
What is the group size?
How many boolits and loads did you try?
What lubes?
Off of a bench?
Buttstock on a bag?

Taylor
05-05-2008, 06:16 AM
See previous post on Thompson Center Scout. 50 yds,pyrodex rs at 90 gr,with Lee 44 sized to .430 and Harvester sabot.See the pics on these.I just lay the rifle across my range box.The shots are numbered but I guess thay are hard to see.I wll try and add a different picture.I have been playing with this thing for a year or so now and this is the best it has ever done.I would say none of them "grouped "to my satisfaction anyway.But at least they are in the black for the most part.Now there is something to work with.Where before there was nothing,just a clean target.

alleyyooper
05-05-2008, 09:23 AM
I wouldn't give up on it yet with the same powder, sabots and bullets.

Go back to the range start out with 70gr. of powder same sabot and bullet and swab between shots. use a spit patch and two dry ones or I use windex to dampen a patch.

Keep going up in powder load till you find the one that groups the best.

My 50 cals work best for me with from 80 to 85 grains of powder whether it is real black or a sub.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/oldgrumpy/T7swabedtext.jpg

I also found that in most cases my rifles will group two shots with out swabing and then throw the shots all over the place.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/twotracker/1-480grwithtext.jpg

:-P Al

Taylor
05-06-2008, 07:26 AM
What I used was what was recommended by TC manual for sabots.I patched between each shot,but did not actually clean the barrel until the 11th shot.However,about the 5th shot I noticed that I had some trouble gettting the bullet to seat the same each time.I read some time ago about a fellow on here who carried a thermos of hot water to the range.I started doing that also,I guess I need to use it more often.I will take your advice and work with a lighter charge and see what happens.Believe it or not,that target is the absolute best this rifle has ever shot.There are no groups,each shot moved back and forth on the bull.If you look at shot 9 and 10,you will see I made a note, I cleaned the barrel with hot water and the shots went back to the black.Of course, a lot of that could be me,we can't rule that out.Next time I will lock her down.Plus there is always a good breeze at my range.I took a couple of shots at 100 yards and missed,so I cleaned everything up and went home.

alleyyooper
05-06-2008, 09:05 AM
Sounds like a plan. But swabing between shots is just a damp patch run down the bore followed by a couple of dry ones. That resistance you felt is crud that keeps the seating of each bullet that much different.
Once you work thru the loads by 10 gr. incurmnts and still don't have a resonable group try the different powders like T7.
When you try that and it isn't working it is time to try different bullets.

:-P Al

alleyyooper
05-06-2008, 08:28 PM
I knew I had read some on the scout.

czar said
I have a tc scout and i love it, fast quick shooter snaps fast into shoulder had it for over 14 years or so it is a 1/20 twist plastic stock wish i bought the wood well so what you have to take the gun down to clean it one screw on the fore arm and one socket head cap screw .and it all comes apart .9/16 on the nipple and a 5/8 open end on the post hanging down off the barrel then the nipple is off also clean out the hammer it fills up with crud from #11 cap. powder charge i use is 70 grains black powder mmp sabot hornady hp xtp 451.dia. 230 grain bullet pretty cool when i shoot deer pull the triger and you can actually hear the bullet hit the deer (splat) this set up kills deer at a hundred yards easy

Jim said
The scout that i owned in 50 cal was 1 in 20, don't know about the 54. They will shoot sabots ok but not at high velocity. Mine was best at 80 grs black and 240 grain bullet. It did shoot MZ sabots very well with 80 grs powder but they were a bear to get down the barrel. The worst problem with the scout is the fact you had to completely take it apart to clean it. With its vented nipple it blew residue everywhere inside the receiver.