PDA

View Full Version : Nipple Washer?

sixshootertexan
03-19-2016, 02:40 PM
I recently repaired a 1858.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?298558-1858-Remington-Parts
I went to shoot it today but did not even get to pop a cap on it. I replaced the nipples with Traditions brand ones. The old nipples had a washer under them so I put them on the new nipples. It has a clearance issue when the cap is at the bottom not clearing the frame. I came back home and started searching for difference nipples when I realized it may just be the washers under them. So I put a nipple in without a washer and it clears. My question is are the washers necessary? The washers are .022" thick.

Ricky

Omnivore
03-19-2016, 04:10 PM
Washers will make a poorly setup gun work, but it's a fix for a symptom while ignoring the problem.

There are several reasons why the hammer might not be reaching the caps. Maybe the hammer is a retrofit that isn't just right (in which case you'd work down the shoulder of the hammer where it stops agains the shoulder in the frame, to allow the hammer nose to come farther forward). Maybe you should have longer nipples in there. Maybe the cylinder gap is so great that the cylinder is setting too far forward upon cocking, or maybe the cylinder was made wrong or is miss-matched to the gun.

Can't help you with the diagnosis, but if washers make it work, and you're not terribly concerned about that other stuff, then use washers.

I will say that the Treso nipples I get are always longer than the original Pietta or Uberti nipples, no matter what gun model I'm putting them in. Maybe that'll help.

I like the gun set up such that the hammer can't touch the bare nipple, clearing it by just a few thousandths. It'll fire as reliably as any, but never peen the nipples.

John Taylor
03-19-2016, 11:33 PM
The posting led my dirty mind to something ells.

sixshootertexan
03-20-2016, 12:21 AM
The hammer has no problem reaching the caps without the washers. I just didn't know if the washers were for sealing purposes or something.

swathdiver
03-20-2016, 04:45 AM
Original Colts and a properly made Uberti, the hammer will not contact the cones when the hammer drops. There's supposed to be just enough space for the properly sized cap. I reckon a Traditions cone is simply a Pietta cone with different packaging as at present, Traditions cap and ball sixguns are all from Pietta.

The only way you'll know fer sure whether you need them washers or not is to cap your six-shooter and shoot it! Make sure the dog ain't drinking out of the toilet and little Johnny didn't fall asleep in the tub and stick your arm through the door and run it six times. Shouldn't startle your neighbors or trigger the Shot Spotter and send the po po driving by.

OverMax
03-20-2016, 06:45 AM
Never seen or heard of nipple washers being used on anything shoot'able. Perhaps done to lift the nipples a bit for easier removal?

Went2kck
03-20-2016, 07:17 AM
I am in complete agreement on this one. Who knew!

dondiego
03-20-2016, 09:54 AM
The washers are definitely not necessary, especially if they sit too high to work when they are installed. They do not provide a seal.

ArrowJ
03-20-2016, 10:25 AM
I will have to share this with the kids. They cannot get enough when I read my reloading manuals and other books out loud. Flash holes is a favorite.

sixshootertexan
03-20-2016, 10:26 AM
As in my original post about repairing it, I was given this revolver and it was in bad shape. I have 2 ASM revolvers and they don't have washers. I didn't know if the 1858 was designed with the washers or not. I live on 2 acres so I can cap it to test and not bother the neighbors but I'll just wait until next Saturday. I'm thinking the previous owner used them to compensate for something.

Thanks for the replies.
P.S. I'm not kinky.

bedbugbilly
03-20-2016, 12:48 PM
What brand / make is the revolver? It sounds to me like it's an issue of not having the correct nipple for the make of hand gun you have? All nipples are not created equal . . i.e. . . . different makes require different nipples and it sounds like the length of yours are on the short side by "just enough". By putting washers on a nipple, you shorten the threaded portion in to the cylinder and create a spot at the base of the nipple for more fouling collection.

The first step would be to find out who made the revolver - then finding the correct nipples. Track of the Wolf could probably help you out on that. While the threads of the nipples you put in your revolver may be the same, I'm betting the overall length of the nipple is a tad short for your handgun. Putting a washer under a nipple is a "Rube Goldberg" fix . . it may work but it isn't "kosher".

You don't say how old your revolver is but in years past, there were many brands imported into this country and sold by various dealers under their stampings. ASM, Palmetto, Euroarms, etc. Today, it is primarily Uberti or Pietta . . . but again, while their parts may fit their revolvers, they might not be right for other makes.

Maybe if you could post some clear close up photos of the markings on your revolver someone could possibly identify the maker - then you could go from there. Good luck to you!

sixshootertexan
03-20-2016, 01:00 PM
It's a FIE. Made in 1970. Not a well made piece. No where as good as my ASM's. It's not something I'll be shooting thousands of round with. I've had it for 20 years in my safe nonworking and decided to see if I could repair it. If I just shoot it a few times and never shoot it again that's fine.

bigted
03-20-2016, 01:57 PM
I also interpreted this post before reading it ... Thought somebody had discovered a way to clean the most tedious part of C&B revolvers.

My big fingers struggle with these in the cleaning. I would welcome a method that makes this chore a bit less tedious.

As for the problems with your revolver ... No revolver takes washers under the nipples that I ever heard of. Prolly have the answer in the posts above.

Boolit_Head
03-20-2016, 02:04 PM
Dang with a title like this I thought is was a job opening. I was going to volunteer!

Omnivore
03-20-2016, 04:39 PM
Dang with a title like this I thought is was a job opening. I was going to volunteer!

Been there, done that, as a teenager. On a dairy farm. Not a job you'd want for long.

Mk42gunner
03-20-2016, 05:09 PM
Been there, done that, as a teenager. On a dairy farm. Not a job you'd want for long.

Boy, that memory took all the fun out real quick.

Robert

Outpost75
03-20-2016, 06:41 PM

I was reminded of the famous Johnny Carson skit on the Tonite Show when Joey Heatherton was telling him about the new ball washer they they had installed at the Country Club. Joey volunteered, "It's so simple, Johnny, you just drop your balls in the little bowl, turn it on and the soft bristles go round and round and wash your balls for you!"

Johnny, always the perfect "straight man" set up the gag with his usual perfection, and winked at the camera as he he remarked, "Gee, I'll bet THAT sure makes your putter stiff!"

griffiga
03-21-2016, 12:13 PM
Sad thing is, I remember that Johnny Carson episode!

Outpost75
03-21-2016, 12:49 PM
Sad thing is, I remember that Johnny Carson episode!

Did I get it right?

bubba.50
03-21-2016, 03:58 PM
I think the OP answered his own question all by hisself & didn't even realize it.

griffiga
03-21-2016, 04:05 PM
Near as I can tell, it was pretty close. Seems like Carson got sued over that comment as well.

sixshootertexan
03-28-2016, 02:45 PM
Well I got to shoot it today. I loaded one cylinder at a time and shot it. 30gr of Pyrodex P. Did that twice for a total of 12 shots. Every shot went bang. Think I'm going to make it a wall hanger. Cylinder gap is on the wide side at .019". It also left some molten lead on the forcing cone. I don't know if that is normal or not.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e330/sixshootertexan/PIC%20010_zpsiwh1nbvo.jpg (http://s42.photobucket.com/user/sixshootertexan/media/PIC%20010_zpsiwh1nbvo.jpg.html)
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e330/sixshootertexan/PIC%20005_zpsd6u8yauy.jpg (http://s42.photobucket.com/user/sixshootertexan/media/PIC%20005_zpsd6u8yauy.jpg.html)