PDA

View Full Version : 243 Handi Rifles

northmn
03-19-2016, 01:43 PM
Went back a few months and found a discussion on the Rossi single shot and also about the Handi Rifles in 243. Was looking at the Rossi and read enough to think I probably would not get one, even though the price is tempting. I had one once in a 7.62X39 and it would not fire the factory ammo with the hard primers but worked OK with handloads.
Looking for more imput on the Handi Rifle as I have had a few and never really had a bad one except for trigger pull and that sort of thing. The LGS has both a Handi Rifle and a Rossi in stock.

DEP

rwadley
03-19-2016, 10:34 PM
I have the heavy barreled version. It is a great gun. If you want a .243 single shot, I highly recommend it. I have only shot 100 gr. J words in it and am happy with the performance.

dtknowles
03-19-2016, 11:45 PM
Mine fails to eject spent rounds pretty regularly and I have tried all the tricks I can find still have the problem. Need to carry a range rod with shooting it.

Tim

mike69
03-20-2016, 12:07 AM
Both my sons shot there first deer with rossi 243 we had pretty good luck with the ones we had sold them to help get the boys there bolt guns they hunt with now

northmn
03-23-2016, 10:38 AM
Mine fails to eject spent rounds pretty regularly and I have tried all the tricks I can find still have the problem. Need to carry a range rod with shooting it.

Tim
Are you talking about a Rossi or a NE Handi Rifle? The NE's I had would ejct very forcibly.

DEP

dtknowles
03-23-2016, 11:13 AM
Are you talking about a Rossi or a NE Handi Rifle? The NE's I had would ejct very forcibly.

DEP

It is a NE Handi Rifle SBII. At the time I was shooting this rifle I went to other gun boards and found others wit the same problem and suggested solutions. None of the totally fixed the problem. I have no problems with cast bullet loads only with factory loads.

Tim

Hooker53
05-08-2016, 03:38 PM
I have a Rossi in. 243 and love it. Have it scoped up and it does well. Just wished I could find a .44 mag barrel for it.

Roy
Hooker53

northmn
05-08-2016, 04:19 PM
Well I bit on the Handi Rifle in 243. Just got it home. Think it will shoot OK but I swear the rifling looks like Micro Groove. Doesn't matter all that much as it is a utility rifle. Came with a bulky 3-9 scope which has to go and has a black plastic stock which for my uses is just fine. They had a display model and brought me one in a box from storage. I asked to look at it and the sales rep said please do. The first one would not open unless you gave it a heck of a whack. Sales Rep thought it was just dry or too much preservative and took it in the back room and sprayed it with Break free and came out and told me he was getting me another rifle as the first one was faulty and gave me an apology. Basically why I deal with that store. The one I took home worked well and I went through some loaded shells I had on hand. Scope is going to get replaced. It seems to work but is too bulky and the cross hairs would cover a ground hog at 50 yards.
When I asked about the situation with Handi Rifles he mentioned that these were in stock but that new ones were not available. The Rossi was the same price. One came with a 12 ga barrel also, which really did not attract me as I have more shotguns than Doans has little pills. Only single shots were in 243, wish I could see one in a 22 Hornet. Dream on.

DEP

dtknowles
05-08-2016, 11:04 PM
Well I bit on the Handi Rifle in 243. Just got it home. Think it will shoot OK but I swear the rifling looks like Micro Groove. Doesn't matter all that much as it is a utility rifle. Came with a bulky 3-9 scope which has to go and has a black plastic stock which for my uses is just fine. They had a display model and brought me one in a box from storage. I asked to look at it and the sales rep said please do. The first one would not open unless you gave it a heck of a whack. Sales Rep thought it was just dry or too much preservative and took it in the back room and sprayed it with Break free and came out and told me he was getting me another rifle as the first one was faulty and gave me an apology. Basically why I deal with that store. The one I took home worked well and I went through some loaded shells I had on hand. Scope is going to get replaced. It seems to work but is too bulky and the cross hairs would cover a ground hog at 50 yards.
When I asked about the situation with Handi Rifles he mentioned that these were in stock but that new ones were not available. The Rossi was the same price. One came with a 12 ga barrel also, which really did not attract me as I have more shotguns than Doans has little pills. Only single shots were in 243, wish I could see one in a 22 Hornet. Dream on.

DEP

I got my #3 in .22 Hornet I gave my brother my Handirifle in .22 Hornet, he is quite happy. I am not a big fan of Break Action Rifles.

Tim

northmn
05-09-2016, 09:32 AM
Had a TC Contender in hornet with a 14" bull barrel and a couple of rifles. Sold them but wish I would have kept one. The Contender was amazingly accurate, but to be honest I found it clumsy and neither a rifle or a pistol. Would have been great if I could carry a bench rest around with me. Don't shoot pistols much anymore. Do prefer rifles like my rolling block over the break actions. However off the tractor/4 wheeler break actions work just fine.

DP

lonewolf5347
05-09-2016, 09:50 AM
I also had the handi in 243 cal. a few years back Man I spent more on reloads bullets and powder to try to get this gun to shoot then what I paid for the rifle.
I did sell it and was lucky to land a Rem: Mohawk in 243 cal. this gun will drive tacks all day long.