PDA

View Full Version : 1936 LA County Sheriff's Range Video

John 242
03-19-2016, 01:17 PM
I stumbled across this Youtube video and thought I would share the link.
it starts out with some trick shooting at the beginning, then moves on to range qualification. At about 13:00 or so, range personnel police up brass and lead, cast some bullets and do some reloading.
I though it was a pretty neat video and thought you guys might enjoy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDP8BRSEjrA&app=desktop

straightwall
03-19-2016, 01:28 PM
Very cool!!!

John 242
03-19-2016, 01:38 PM
Rats... the same video was posted by member *** in 2015 as part of another thread.
Oh well, it's still a cool video.

OS OK
03-19-2016, 02:10 PM
On Weapons Check of the incoming New Recruit...

NR..."Why are you looking at my revolver, it's the one they gave me to use?
RO…"When you start doing trick shooting with your buds we want to make damn sure we can ID the weapon."
NR…"How come?"
RO…"We loose a lot of Cops that way, have to get the guns back for new recruits."

New recruit heads off for the benches...

RO…"Hey stupid…you forgot your chalk!"

(On the serious side…did you see how close that round came to that Cops ear?) They had to be using the drugs they confiscated!

Great post, I enjoyed it…OS OK

John 242
03-19-2016, 02:15 PM
(On the serious side…did you see how close that round came to that Cops ear?) They had to be using the drugs they confiscated!

Yeah, several of those shots were too close for comfort. You've got to really trust the guy behind the trigger, and hope he's not having a bad day, in order to stand down range like that. Not my idea of fun, but apparently trick shooting like that was popular for a long time.

Lead Fred
03-19-2016, 02:15 PM
No safety nuttin and they all still made it

OS OK
03-19-2016, 02:24 PM
My dad was a Cop…he'd still be kicking my butt if I ever tried anything like that…"It gives me the chills just watching!"

ReloaderFred
03-19-2016, 02:29 PM
They were using inmate laborers for brass and bullet recovery. They even used the IL's for casting bullets and loading their practice ammunition. That practice was stopped a long, long time ago. When I was hired for our department in 1971, the rangemaster we had at the time was also using IL's to do most of the labor. I stopped that practice in 1977, when I became rangemaster, since some of the IL's that were being sent to the range were some of the same suspects I had arrested before getting promoted....... I didn't figure it was a good idea to have someone I had arrested and testified against working around guns and live ammunition...

I used to shoot PPC matches at the LASD pistol range at Wayside Honor Rancho when I was on our department pistol team. The range in the video had been closed for years, and the one they built at Wayside was first class. They had a Hogan's Alley that was top notch, since they were able to tap into the knowledge of the Hollywood film producers and set builders. The sound system on their Hogan's Alley would allow you to stand at one end and listen to a car go down the street and make a turn, and be able to tell which way the car turned, just from listening to the sound system. Of course, there wasn't a real car, just the sounds one makes driving down the street. They had the funds to build stuff like that, but so did LAPD. Both agencies had several reserve officers who worked in the movie industry and were able to provide a lot of knowledge about building sets.

Hope this helps.

Fred

OS OK
03-19-2016, 03:10 PM
Inmate Laborers, 'Trustees' were used all over Texas when I was a kid…I remember seeing the 'chain gangs', dressed in white on the sides of the roadways all around Houston earning their upkeep. Damn good idea as long as you can keep track of those 'rascals'.
Down in Brazoria there is a huge farm and cattle ranch…they pay their way there ending each year with surplus funds too and that place is as clean as a whistle.
If our country was not so full of mush-minded lawmakers I guess that you'd see this all over the Nation…now we provide them with TV's and game/recreation rooms, no telling what else!
Work those 'rascals' so hard that they'd never want to come back…they'd possibly learn a trade so they at least had the option to go straight and get out of the crime business?
I dunno…nothing seems to make any sense anymore…everything has gone sideways and no 'Common Sense' used on anything!

rancher1913
03-19-2016, 03:59 PM
would love to have that mold.

when I was a corrections officer not to long ago we used inmate labor for building and maintaining the range, but they were never allowed to touch even spent rounds, god help the officer that failed to police his brass and it was found later. lead removal all had to be done by a hazmat team.

John 242
03-19-2016, 05:47 PM
We have Trustees at the community college where I work. They work for maintenance and aside from grounds keeping, some of the those guys have been decent welders, electricians, etc. The vast majority of them stay out of trouble and do what they're told.

Thumbcocker
03-21-2016, 01:12 PM
You should have seen the guys who wanted to get into the film but didn't make the cut...Lefty, One eye, Stumpy, and Gimp.

OS OK
03-21-2016, 01:36 PM
You should have seen the guys who wanted to get into the film but didn't make the cut...Lefty, One eye, Stumpy, and Gimp.

:bigsmyl2:…I had a feeling that video would bring out some funny quips!

ghh3rd
03-21-2016, 04:13 PM
Yeah, and they wouldn't let that female cop, Eileen, who had her foot shot off with a failed trick shot get in to movie either...

shredder
03-21-2016, 07:21 PM
Well that scared the living heck out of me. Way too crazy!!

buckwheatpaul
03-22-2016, 08:47 AM
That was amazing....started L.E. in 1974 and firearm training has really evolved since then!

Half Dog
03-22-2016, 09:47 AM
It looks like they filmed the trick shooting in just one take.

HB0708
03-22-2016, 10:19 AM
Way cool video. Thanks for sharing it.

The trick shots were unreal to me. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be holding any chalk in my hand for them and positive I wouldn't have had any in my ears...

I think it's awesome they used to reload their own target rounds and even more awesome that they collected their lead to recast for the new rounds. Funny how in the old days they were better at being "green" than in today's "new" going green movement.

Scharfschuetze
03-22-2016, 01:37 PM
That brought back some memories. I spent a lot of time on the police range as one of the FTOs for the department. Training has sure come a long way since that was filmed.

When on a municipal department, all our training was two handed, but when I was at the Federal Academy, the first half of our training was one handed match style shooting like in the first part of the film. As I had shot NRA 2700 matches prior to that, I had a pretty easy time of it, but most of the agents really struggled with it. The second half of the academy brought on two handed combat style shooting and training.

I used to recover a lot of lead from the backstops and, like in the video, turned it into fairly usable boolits for my personal use. I still have my gang mould from back then.