PDA

View Full Version : Shop tips

Bret4207
10-19-2005, 09:08 AM
I've been meaning to re-start this conversation for some time. We had some real long and very good threads on the old boards with lotsa good reading and tips. I'm going to list a few and hopefully youse guys will add your favorites.

One of the first acquisitions any gun owner/manly type man should make is a decent set of screwdrivers. Even Wally world sell the multi-tip type kits these days and while the quality isn't up to what you'd get from Brownells (www.brownells.com) it'll do for 80% of what you need. Find the tip that fits the screw driver slot, file or grind it to fit if needed. The sloppy fitting bit is the one that will booger up the screws on that nice hunk o'metal you payed good dollars for.

On a tight screw- get a close fitting screw driver and whack it a couple times with your plastic mallet. It helps loosen the screw. What? You don't have a plastic mallet? How about a rawhide mallet? Come on, you must at least have a brass hammer for your gun work? Better get one of the above because they plain work better for gun work. Plus you need one to knock your sprue plate aside. If that screw still won't loosen apply a bit of heat. This can be from a soldering gun, (make sure the tip has a wet appearance or the heat transfer is very slow), a very tiny flame from one of those mini torches, ( about 12 bucks at Wally world, runs on Butane), or by heating a metal object like a bolt that is close in size to the screw head in a flame and holding it to the screwhead, with PLIERS dummy, after it's nice and hot. Penetrating oils and solvents help too. Just don't do like I do and try excessive force first.

Speaking of pliers- Get 4 or5 pair. Different types and shapes are handy. Farm type stores, TSC for example, have nifty assortments made in far off china of dubious quality that are perfect. When you paid .99 cents for the pliers you don't mind grinding them or bending them into the shape you need. I'm talking needle nose type pliers in addition to the regular slip-joint style. Then there are Vise-grips. Gotta have 2 or 3 of them. For gun work you need the smaller needle nose type mostly. They're what you hold that hot bolt to the stuck screw with. This is one area where brand name products pay for themselves. I have never found any other brand other than Vise-grip to be worth a snot.

A vise of some sort is real handy. I see there are some plastic woodworking vises these days that work good for anything not involving heat. I've got one and it's handy. It will never replace a real bench vise though. Even a small clamp on vise will serve you if it's solid enough.

Files. Ah, files. There are 348,000 gazillion types, shapes and grades out there. Get a 8" mill bastard, a 6" triangle, and a set of needle files. Stop there until you figure out what you need next. Keep your files stored so they don't touch each other, that dulls them. Don't drag your file backwards across the work, lift it up for the return, dragging dulls your file. It's not a saw. Put a handle on the file, any handle is better than none. Spray the file with WD-40 occasionally, keeps rust off and helps when you go to clean the file. Either get a file card, (a brush looking thing with steel teeth that you push across the file teeth to scrape out the bits of metal stuck there that leave tose lines in your work), or sharpen a nail to remove the metal stuck in the file teeth. Prolongs the files life and makes it cut better. If you develop the habit of cleaning the file right after your done with it small children and beautiful women will adore you, or so I'm told.

Storage- Peg borad is wonderfull becasue you can see all your tools, except that it's expensive and everyone can see all your tools and try and steal them. Plus those little hooks always fall out on me. I like tool cabinets, but to start with a sturdy cardboard box will do, providing theres a safe dry location for it. I also have one of those lazy-susan tool holders that real handy, only I don't see them for sale anymore. Yard sales maybe. Whatever you do, organization helps make for better work.

Big storage- 5 gallon buckets reign supreme, at least on my farm. At a dollar a piece or free they makes great storage for wheel weights, hammers, prybars, shovels, axes, rope, lead cords, sawdust, odd wood scraps, cats, rags, wax, traps, your mother in laws ashes, car parts, old oil, chainsaws (bar down), nuts and bolts till you get something better, kitty litter (oil soak), really big runs of boolits, for quenching said boolits, dis-membered bodies (minus torso, don't ask why I know this), old inner tubes for making scope covers and sling shots, salt for the driveway and walk (those who don't know why you need salt for the driveway- consider yourselves blessed), nifty rocks and fungus you find while hunting, your wheat penney collection- you get the idea. Plus, as an added benefit they work great for drowning yourself when you find out your unemployed brother in law, his drunk wife and their 7 brats are coming "for a visit".

Grinders- You need something to grind with. Either a bench grinder- a cheap 6" $30.00 grinder is fine, or at least one of those holders for a drill motor or a Dremel. A Dremel, or a cheap knock off copy, is almost a neccessity. Just wear safety glasses waht ever you get. I can show you some nifty x-rays if you really don't know why you need glasses. Remember that grinding creates heat which softens metal and burns the fingers holding the metal. Go slow and easy. You can't put the metal you ground off back, not with out a lot of work anyway. With a good hacksaw, a grinder and a file you can make an astounding number of gadgets, geegaws, and whatsits for your castng/gun/reloading hobby.

Bret4207
10-19-2005, 09:09 AM
Craft stores- Honeybunch probably goes to craft stores on occasion. I accidentally wandered into one with her one day and lo and behold I was temporarily hooked! They have oodles of pipe cleaners, really tiny and very sharp scissors, all sorts of wax, wood burning kits, little beads and shiny things that make great fishing lures, about 46 dozen different types of foam and poly-fill, granulated poly-type filler and wax, odd little tools and a bunch of other hard to find stuff. Try to look extremely bored while hunting the place otherwise your testosterone level may come into question.

Training the wife/girlfriend/mother/whatever- It all started back when we had the first custon 6 banger Lee mould run. I was so excited when the box came I showed SWMBO the mould and explained how incredibly fortunate I was. She said,"Uh-huh." and went back to Murder She Wrote. Obviously she was as enthralled as I was. Anyhoo, after seeing the sucessision of custom 6 bangers and various Ebay treasures that arrived in the BBT, she got the idea. We were at a yard sale one day and she said, " Hey, there's a couple Lymans and an RCBS with handles over by that pile of kids clothes." True love gentlemen, true love. She even spotted a set of new in the box Weaver rings in the Wally world parking lot for me. I'll add in here that it tooks years of training but my diabolical plan has borne more fruit. She brought home a mess of baskets intended for shoe storage from a dollar type store. Didn't work for snot for shoe storage but they hold die boxes and cartridge boxes just great. The key to "The Plan" is roses on birthdays and anniverseries, syrupy sweet cards on those days, and pretending that you really take an interest in the realtionships she shares with her ditzy friends. Saying things like, "Gee your hair looks nice" and "No kidding, you got those shoes for only $30.00?" help immensley. The whole thing goes much smoother if you happen to see your old girl friend as she waddles down the isle at the Price Chopper towing her 4 kids and pushing the cart full of beer and Freezer Queen dinners. Then you'll realize how lucky you really are. Sincerity is always more convincing when it's real

wills
10-19-2005, 01:33 PM
Craft stores are great but there are a lot of closet wimps afraid to be seen in one!

I saw a gadget I want to put under my drop tube to collect spilled powder.

Calamity Jake
10-19-2005, 02:36 PM
I like going to CS's with the little woman, I find all kinds of stuff to use in this boolet casting, shooten, reloading hobby, like them little metal slip top boxes, there great for storing sized and lubed boolets in, then stick a lable on the end for what's in it.

It's when the little woman handes me her purse and says "hold this so I can look at that" that make me nervus, it always clashes with MY wardrobe!!!

SharpsShooter
10-19-2005, 02:58 PM
All the items listed above are good choices for a well stocked Caster/Shooter. I'll add a set of dental picks, foreceps in different sizes and an absolute must have is a good set of honing stones in various sizes. A good source of light is an I gotta have item too.

:grin:

wills
10-19-2005, 05:52 PM
Hemostats are great for pulling little tiny scraps of paper out of a computer printer when it jams.

Slowpoke
10-19-2005, 08:51 PM
Hemostats are great for pulling little tiny scraps of paper out of a computer printer when it jams.

They are also great for removing and reinstalling Marlin 336 ejectors when its time to clean, I don't lock em down, I just use em like a big pair of tweezers.

Mk42gunner
10-19-2005, 09:11 PM
Polish the face of your steel hammers mirror bright. Use a file, sandpaper and then crocus cloth. This will help you keep from putting really nasty marks where they don't belong......

Ross
10-20-2005, 12:32 AM
A pair of inch and a half pieces of half inch tubing slit lengthwise makes a good pliers soft cushion for turning aluminum lock nuts.

Frank46
10-20-2005, 02:19 AM
Wrap the jaws of channel lock pliers with electricians tape and use em to remove stuck magazine caps on shotguns. Small pieces of either brass or bronze brazing rod can be turned down (don't have a lathe? use electric drill) to make small punches. Old medicine bottles, the plastic ones with the 1" or so caps can be cleaned out and used to store small parts, screws, pins and stuff like that. Frank

fiberoptik
10-20-2005, 06:55 PM
They are also great for removing and reinstalling Marlin 336 ejectors when its time to clean, I don't lock em down, I just use em like a big pair of tweezers.

Hrmmmm,..........roachclips, er... I mean..... Small parts holders!! Pulling out that stupid dirty patch hiding in the chamber, & hitting the edges were the barrel hits the reciever! :groner:

fiberoptik
10-20-2005, 06:57 PM
Wrap the jaws of channel lock pliers with electricians tape and use em to remove stuck magazine caps on shotguns. Small pieces of either brass or bronze brazing rod can be turned down (don't have a lathe? use electric drill) to make small punches. Old medicine bottles, the plastic ones with the 1" or so caps can be cleaned out and used to store small parts, screws, pins and stuff like that. Frank

So THAT'S why I never through away any pill bottles! I have about 10 years worth of them around here! :bigsmyl2:

MT Gianni
10-20-2005, 09:49 PM
Thick soft plastic pipe, schedule 80 or better makes a great vice pad and will hold without slipping or scratching. Gianni.

Frank46
10-21-2005, 02:14 AM
fiberoptik, yep I have a whole bunch of them. What with all the pills I'm taking saving them up is no big deal. I try to save the amber ones with the screw on caps. At last check must have at least two shopping bags full. Heck I paid for the pills and they probably charged me for the bottles anyway. Just wash em out to remove any residue and you should be good to go. Frank

Bret4207
10-21-2005, 08:16 AM
We're rolling along now. A couple more come to mind-

One of my kids got a 4" magnifying glass with a magazine subscription. It also has a smaller inset area with probably 10x. I snatched that sucker up right off. I also have one of theose lamps with the built in magnifying glass in the shop, but it's not the answer I was hoping for. By the time I get far enough back to really enlarge the item I'm running out of arm to adjust the focus. Yeah, I know. Been to the eye doc yet Bret? I used to have one of those head band magnifiers and that worked good. Lost it or broke it.

Hacksaw blades- Far as I'n concerned having too many hacksaw frames is like having to many guns. Could happen, but ain't likely. I'm running about 6 now and I'm still on the lookout for some deeper ones. I have different blades on pretty much all of them. The real general use type gets a 10" Lennox Bi-Metal 18t, one has a Remington carbide rod type blade from about 1975 thats still going strong. Don't know if they're still made. You really can cut glass with it. One light frame has a 24T Starret for light pipe and such. Two have 12" ( I think) 18t regular type cheapys for PVC, copper, grade 3 or under bolts, nails, construction work. I have one jewlers type hacksaw frame I use for gun work mostly. I also have the "required if you call yourself any kind of man" sawzall with a bunch o'blades. Works great on anything not requiring any kind of accurate cut. Get the Bi-Metal blades, the regular ones don't last worth a crap. The reason I have so many frames is because they are cheap at yard sales and when you have the right one ready to use you don't try and make the wrong one work. I admit I broke down a couple years ago when I was building a shopeing stock for my draft horses and bougt one of those chinwanese power hacksaws. Great time saver for $175.00, not terribly accurate.

Yard sales. Some guys refuse to stop at yard, garage, rummage, flea market sales. Your choice. I like them, not as much as I used to because people figure every piece of junk Walmart screwdriver is worth at least a quarter now. Still you can pick up a lot of handy tools and such for cheap. Use your best judgement. I find rather than looking around for 10 minutes it's easier to walk up and ask if there are any tools, gun, reloading, fishing, trapping or car parts in the sale. Sometimes that triggers the seller to recall that old rifle in the broom closet. The chances of it turning out to be Uncle Ernies star-gauge National Match Springfield in mint condition for $50.00 are slim, but it's worth a shot.

Watch the neighborhood for construction projects. Just because Erma down the road is tearing out those god awfull avacado kitchen cabinets she put in back in '75 doesn't mean they wouldn't look swell in your shop. And the pink countertop Earl and Marlene are replacing will reflect a lot more light than that grease stained hunk of 1/2" plywood you use for a bench top. Medicine cabinets get replaced almost as fast as womens shoes. Grab at least 2. One you'll break the mirror in, so at least you'll have the spare right there in the shop when you go hunting for that gob of metal in yer eye.

Q-tips. Get the generic Wallyworld big box and be happy. Add in a big package of paper towels and at lest one package of toilet paper. These are shop supplies only, so quality isn't as much of an issue. TP thats not cottony soft on yer 'roids still works fine fer blowing yer nose and applying cold blue, RIG, etc. If you stumble onto a box of those brown paper towels grab 'em. Some times places changing over to air dryers in the restrooms throw them away. Maybe you can get the dispenser too. Handy, handy, handy.

Here's my number one money saver- Harbor Frieght, Northern Hydraulics, all those types of places sell a valve that fits onto your 20lb gas grill type propane tank. You attach it, turn the tank upside down and then screw on your empty regular 1lb propane bottle, the Bernzomatic/Coleman type you pay, I dunno, probably $3.50 for anyway. Open the valve and the liquid propane fills you small tank. It won't fill it all the way but it'll give you 1/2 to 2/3 of a fresh bottle for 1/4 what you'd pay at the store. They do work with the new OFPD type 20 pounders. I don't know what the little bottles of propane cost anymore because I haven't bought one in 12 or 15 years.

One of the guys mentioned lighting. You simply can't have enough good light, good light being flourescent. Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart all sell cheap flourescent fixtures for around $14.00. Get the level one up from the cheapest. I don't know the exact term but you want the "cold start" type. Even if your idea of cold is 50 degrees and sunny in Arizona, these last longer than the bottom of the line type. Save the reciept and use them for a week at every chance, turn them on and off I mean. About 20% of them die in the first 30 starts or so. Package that sucker up and exchange it for another one.

A good hi intensity desk lamp, or better, one of those jobs on the extending arm is a great help.

Put a carpet remanent, short nap, down on your bench top when your taking that gun, chainsaw, carburetor, nuclear reactor apart. All the little parts that fall, jump, vault, spring, fly, drop out of the project will hopefully land or catch on the carpet. Spend 3 hours on your knees with a flashlight looking for the little spring you lost and you'll see what I mean.

fourarmed
10-21-2005, 01:17 PM
One of those overgrown toothbrushes with steel, bronze, or brass bristles and a rectangular hole through the handle makes an essential part of your 1911 cleaning kit. Use the brush to clean the boltface, and cut the end off the handle, leaving one of the long sides of the hole intact. It makes the perfect tool for cleaning slide and frame grooves with a paper towel.

One of the hinged metal boxes that some imported mints come in makes a great holder for toothpicks, which you need to apply Lubriplate grease to bolt lugs, etc.

A Black & Decker Workmate can be used in all sorts of ways. Mount lubrisizers on plywood with a 2x4 screwed to the bottom. Clamp it in the WM. Ditto a shooting bench top for 'dog shooting. It can also be adapted easily to a guncleaning vise.

Bret4207
10-23-2005, 09:38 AM
More-

A cheap substitute for WD-40 is plain old diesel/kerosene 50/50 with any oil. You won't get the water displacing quality, but hey, it's cheap.

ATF works great as a general lube and is reputed to be what Singer Sewing Machine Oil and more or less Marvel Mystery Oil is. Who knows what additives are in there. Singer oil was a favorite among many gunnysmith types in the 50's, but it was a "secret".

Rubbing alcohol is a good cleaner on guns but will damage some finishes.

Mineral Spirits is my prefered gun/general cleaning liquid. Cheap, dosen't evaporate that fast and smells manly. Hoppes does smell better and I've thought of getting ododrless mineral spirits and adding banana oil/extract/flavoring, whatever it's called. Thats what makes Hoppes smell SO good.

Starting fluid (ether) will degrease stuff to the point it starts rusting real fast. Very flammable, (IT IS STARTING FLUID SO BE CAREFUL), and overspray on some finnishes is a problem. A little goes a long way.

Any old manual that calls for "Naptha" or "Dry Cleaning Fluid"- usually acetone will answer. Evaporates real fast. BTW- tried the acetone in the gas tank- lowered my milage. Huh.

Any recipe that calls for "white gas"- thats old style unleaded gas. Use Coleman fuel. It's a lot more potent and works better than modern gas blends.

Cheap guy tip- When a philips head screwdriver finally gets to the useless point, don't toss it. Heat the end, hammer out to flat screwdriver shape, grind to final shape, heat to red, quench, temper to brown/very faint blue heat, quench.

The spray bottle Fantastik comes in works a lot better than the pump type WD-40 spray bottle. Don't know why WD-40 folks can't get this idea.

sundog
10-23-2005, 09:59 AM
Bret, your comments abount kero, ATF, mineral spirits, and acetone = Ed's Red. Keep it on hand all the time. Use alot of it. Mix it myself, and it's virtually 'free', because I have the ingredients on hand anyway. Couldn't imagine buying it even though it is available from Brownell's.

On my cleaning bench are plastic cosmetics bottles for Hoppee's, ER, etc., that don't seem to be affected by the acetone (ER in one for a long time with no detrimental affect). They have a twist top and work great for dispensing drops on a patch or otherwise. Got'em at Wally World. sundog

Frank46
10-24-2005, 02:41 AM
For those of you who have lathes. Spray paint the chuck key some real visiblle color, the brighter the better. This makes it easier to spot, especially if yoou left it in the chuck and ready to start up. One tip in one of the home shop machinists magazines, suggested was to connect a long bungee cord to the ceiling of your shop and the other to the key. Leave the cord short so that if you remove the key it will be pulled up and out of the way. Bungee diving for chuck keys. Frank

Bret4207
10-24-2005, 08:04 AM
Good suggestion on the chuck key. My Dad had his attached to the lathe with surgical tubing. Dad loved surgical tubing, the 6.5x55 and vodka, but thats another story.

Was up in the gun shop, (attic), yesterday watching SWMBO clean out her assortment of clutter. She is a collector of magazines, thousands of useless decorating magazines. This is opposed to my collection of valuble "reference material" which somewhat resembles a bunch of magazines, but is mine, not hers, therefore much more valuble. At any rate, she had me cart off several hundred mags to the burn barrel. Being the asstute scrounger I am, I sez, " Whatcha gonna do with all those magazine holders?" (She stores her magazines in HOLDERS, not boxes! Sheez) "You can have them moron" she sez. So that led to my sorting throuogh 189,000 gazillion back issues of probably 45 different mags on 189 subjects. Take my advice- Cardboard boxes work fine. Magazines holders don't stack for crap.

Dremel tools- Didja know Dremel changed their tool design a few years back? No? Neither did I until my ancient single speed Dremel bit the dust in shower of flame and sparks last year. So SWMBO gets me the top of the line variable sped super whiz bang kit, God love her, and thats when I got the bad news. I have most every accessory for the old style Dremels. Not one of them fits the new style with the threaded nose. I emailed Dremel and asked if there was an adaptor, but never got an answer. Just beware when you buy the accessory attachments at yard sales, tool sales. The very front of the old style had sort of a ribbed surface, the new ones have a screw on flared nose piece that you unscrew to fit the attachments to.

Every discount tool supply- Grizzly, Harbor Frieght, Northern, Penn Tool, TSC stores- sells the big fraction/number/letter size drill kits for around $39.00. The quality is not high, but if you plunk down the $$ yoou'll at least have the right size drill bit when you need it. I find the temper to be a bit brittle and some times a bit of sharpening helps along with lots of cutting fluid. No, they won't drill the case hardened reciever of Uncle Lous Springfield, but niether will the best Cleveland. You'll need carbide/acid/spot grinding for that. I have 2 sets of the chiwanese drills and replace the broken, burnt ones with good Clevelands as I go. It may be a waste to some guys, but I can't bring myself to spend $280.00 on a decent set of this size.

Chisels- I'm talking metal working "cold" chisels here. In the days of yore, the local "gone smythe" made parts with a forge, a chislel and a file. You too can do the same! There's about 56 dozen different types of chisels out there. You need maybe 4 of them for gun work. A good old fairly heavy job about 8" long with a 1/2' wide face for knocking the big peices off, a much smaller diamond shape, kept very sharp for corners, a 1/4" or 3/16" wide caping chisel for narrow slots, and a half round job maybe 1/8" wide. That last one isn't easy to find, but can be made up from a good quality pin punch. How do you use them? Take an appropriate weight hammer, say 4-8 oz for the smaller ones, and tap the chisel in where you want the metal removed. It's tap, tap, tap until things start going where you want. I can't explain it more than that. You cut gently and alter the angle of attack so you get a good bite, but not too deep. Play with some scrap and you get the hang of it. It's lots quicker than filing/grinding, even with a Dremel, and there's no heat to speak of. You cna make curves, indents, slots, key ways, corners, cut offs- anything. It just takes time. Try it somedays and see if it isn't a handy thing to know.

Chisels bring us to punches, drifts, pin punches, etc. Find a nice set of small punches or pin punches. Pin punches tend to be longer. Many discount places have sets for cheap. Make sure the ends are flat and square. Never, ever, ever use a pnch thats too big or way too small for the pin in question. Idealy the punch should fit the pin almost exactly erring to the small side so the punch will fit the pin hole. Tap the punch gently but firmly to "start" the pin moving. Then tap it out. Most pins allegedly go in right to left. Your mileage may vary on that. Find a brass drift, (a drift has a tapered form to the punch end) for knocking sights out of dovetails. Copper, some plastics and polished steel also work for that. Aluminum tends to mark the steel with a stain I find hard to remove. For aligning parts and drift is handy. Yes a nail will work. They also bend in the holes sometimesmaking a job removing them. Just remember that when you hit the punch you can deform the pin or the metal around it if you miss. Don't miss if you don't want a marked up gun.

KCSO
10-24-2005, 11:49 AM
And if you have boogered screw heads you need to make a swedge block. You drop the screw into the correct base hole and using a ball peen yu tap the metal back into shape and re cut the slot with a needle file. Then polish and re blue. It doesn't take long and really maked the gun look 100% better. My swedge blocks and bench blocks were made years ago from old sad irons that I got from my grandmother. I polish my screw heads by chucking them in a mini athe and pushing a soft pine board covered with emory cloth against the head, then either cold blue or nitre blue them.

PatMarlin
10-26-2005, 01:02 AM
THis is the most awesome gunsmithing vise you can buy and is only $49 at Grizzly:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.aspx?itemnumber=H3302

They sell for over $100 at Brownells/

PatMarlin
10-26-2005, 01:10 AM
Here are some optional jaws for uneven surfaces.

Bret4207
11-05-2005, 10:34 AM
Gotta fresh cup o'joe and I'm going to try to think of a couple things here-

Removing frozen screws-

1. The screwhead/bolthead is in good shape-
A. Find a screwdriver that FITS THE SLOT (very close fit end to end and in the slot of the screw) grind or file the screwdriver to fit if needed. With Phillips head/Torx head/Allen head you just find the one that fits best and maybe grind/file a bit off the end for a really tight fit. Set the screwdriver bit tightly into the slot and strike it 4 or 5 times with a hammer, a plastic mallet, brass or copper hammer, anything under 10 oz. or so. Don't try a 16 oz. claw hammer on a 6-48 screw because you can drive the screw through the threads. IOW- use an appropriate sized striking instrument. Try this several times and se if that doesn't work.

B. A doesn't work- Try turning the screw "FORWARD" or into the work. This is simple but a lot of times it works. If it turns into the work even a bit, just rock it back and forth a bit and it may come out. If it moves at all apply a solvent/oil/penetrant. Work the screw with the oil on it and it may back right out. This also covers the previously unknown "LEFT HAND THREAD". I worked for hours on a payloader once trying to remove a lug nut. An old drunk guy, ( he was REALLY good at drinking), asked me if I'd thought of it being a left hand thread. He may have been a drunk, but he wasn't a stupid drunk.

2. Add in here that the screwhead is buggered up already.

C. A and B don't work. Now we go to heat. If someone lock-tited the screw in it amy well resist all the solvents, etc. Get a soldering gun/iron and get it up to heat. Leave whatever oil, etc is on the screw head as it will keep th solder from sticking. Make sure the soldering gun/iron tip has a "wet" look to it. Thats melted solder and is yoour heat trasfer source. A dry tip will take forever to heat you article. Apply the tip to the screw for maybe 45 seconds or a minute. You may see/smell the oil you used spitting and smoking. Thats good, it means the heat is transfering. Once your godd ol' common sense says it's time put the soldering gun/iron down wherte it won't start a fire and immediately try the screw. You can also do this with a very small flame out of one of those micro torches but you chance over heating things and scorching any nearby wood and loosing the blueing in the area.

C2- For buggered Torx/Allen/Socket head or hex head screws and bolts. Vicegrips, over size Torx/Allen head wrenchs, driving a flat tip screwdriver bit into the hole, E-Z outs. At this point you're less concerned with recovering the screw and more concerned with geting the darn thing out. E-Z outs rarely work IMHO. For socket or Allen heads try driving a slightly oversize Torx bit into the hole. Works better than any E-Z out I've used. Almost always works. For hex heads you're into Vicegrips, those sockets specificaly designed for removing rounded off bolts heads, I forget the names, Sears has them, or even welding another nut onto the bolthead so you can get a good grip. I doubt you'll use that on a gun, but maybe on a car or tractor. Works on busted studs and such. Sometimes a flat blade screw driver can be driven into a phillips slot, and I mean driven into it, and it will work. Othertimes you can chisel or Dremel cut a new slot in a screw and get it. Obviously you have to use extreme care for the surrounding metal/wood or you'll make a real mess. Trust me, I've done it a thousand times! This is probably a good time to step back and stare at the problem for 15 minutes or so. Have a sandwich and a drink and give the screw a minute or two to think about repenting and backing right out. Oddly enough it sometimes seems to work. There may be gremlins hanging onto the threads that give up after some in-activity, I don't know. It works sometimes, thats all I can say. You may have a brainstorm at this point and discover how to get it out too. Don't go to a "bigger hammer" at this point unless you can control the ol' temper.

D. A,B and C don't work after repeated attempts. By now any Lock-tite type product will have given up the ghost from the heat and any rust would have been handled by the solvent/heat/tapping. We're into metal on metal galling most likely. You've got a cross threaded, cockeyed jewel on your hands. That or your into the infamous broken and boogered screwhead/bolt head. Here are your options-

1. Take it to a gunsmith/machine shop and have them remove the part.

2. If you have the ability and confidence AND the proper tools you can try drilling the screw/bolt out on your own. We're talking a drill press and a good vice mounted to the drill press, center drills for starting, accurate center punching, sharp undersize drill bits for the hole, good cutting oils, and the knowledge of when to STOP. Left hand drill bits (yeah, they're real) may work here and bring the screw right out, or they may not. Worth a try if you have them. If you are thinking you'd do it, then you probably already have the tools. Read Brownells "Gunsmiths Kinks" , all 4 volumes, to find a bunch of methods to do this and a lot of tricks to make it easier. If this sounds like certain disaster, then go to the gunsmith/machine shop. Just be honest and admit you don't want to risk screwing up the item big time and that you don't have the equipment to do this. It doesn't mean you're not a man or that you're a failure. It means you are smart enough to stop before you loose a bunch of $$$$$.

Mk42gunner
11-05-2005, 08:05 PM
Another thing that sometimes works when the screwdriver slips out of a phillips head is to put some lapping coumpound on the bit so it has a chance to grab the screw.

twotoescharlie
11-05-2005, 09:43 PM
on slotted screws, if you will peen the end of the screwdriver bit, it will make it bite into the bottom of the screw slot and not slip.

TTC

45-70 Plinker
11-11-2005, 07:35 PM
To keep from bending one of your long pin punches use a starting punch which is a short (about 1" to 1.5") tapered end punch. This breaks the hold that the hole has then you can use the long punch to finish removing the pin. If it is a role pin you must use a roll pin punch; otherwise you are likely to peen the pin in even tighter and burger it up to boot.
Another handy tool is several sizes of crochet neddles. They are great for retreving small parts deep in small cavities, pulling springs to hook them up, holding small parts in place, fishing small screws into holes, that are down in less than finger and thumb sized spaces, ect. haveing several sizes lets you work with different size parts.

btr-cj
11-17-2005, 08:30 AM
FYI
VersaVice clone is on sale. $40

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=666974

Thanks,
C.J.

Bret4207
11-27-2005, 11:26 AM
Here's a short post on taps and dies.

On guns your most common issue will be "chasing" or re-threading an existing hole or screw. Chasing is the term used for re-newing or cleaning an existing thread. Scope mounts and sights commonly use 6-48 and 8-40 threads. The taps and dies will not be available at your garden variey hardware store. Brownells has them and you should have the Brownells (www.brownellls.com) catalog just to be aware of all the neat things there are to spend your bucks on. A 6-48 screw is a number "6" diameter screw with 48 threads per inch. Brownells also sells what they call a "Screw Check'r" which is a metal plate with a bunch of threaded holes in it. You take your screw and try it in different holes until you find the one the screw fits. Then your thread and size is identified. You can also measure the screw with a caliper or mic and a thread gauge. Once you determine the size you can order or otherwise get ahold of the tap or die you need. A tap goes in a hole. A die thread a screw or bolt. A die stock holds a die so you can form the threads, it's the handle for the die in other words. A tap handle holds a tap, although a light wrench will work and makes it even easier to break the tap. I recommend a tap handle. Lts say you need to clean a threaded hole- you have the tap and handle. Secure the tap in the handle and take a look at the hole. Assuming the hole doesn't have a broken off screw in it, you can place the nose of the tap in the hole. If you have the correct size tap it will fit part way into the hole. Before you start turning the tap apply a lubricant, 3 in 1 oil, Break Free, WD40, something. Obviously on a right hand thread you'll turn the tap clockwise. Righty-tighty, lefty-loosy. The biggest problem now comes up. Taps are very, very delicate in 6-48 and 8-40 size. They break easy and once broken in a hole, you're into some work and $$ to get it out. They are also very hard and tough steel, so it's not easy to get them out, hence the work and $$$. You have to get the tap into the hole STRAIGHT, not cockeyed. My sugeestion is to start the tap (we're chasing threads here not tapping a fresh hole) without the tap handle, just your fingers. You'll feel the tap take the existing thread unless it's full of dirt or galled metal in which case it still may take. once you feel it take the thread let it stand there and look at the taps angle with the hole. It should be a pretty much right angles to the work. It may cock off a little due to dirt or metal pushing the tap sideways. Back the tap out and put it in the handle. Get tap at right nagles relative to the work and start it about as far as it went with your fingers. Very slowly and with care turn the tap 1/4 to 1/2 turn, then back it the same amount. Go into the work the same 1/4 to 1/2 turn and then add 1/4 turn and back out again. You'll feel the tap start either following the thread or cutting the dirt/metal. The very instant you feel the tap start to "bind", back it out of the hole and clean the juck off the tap. The flutes will fill with dirt, Lock-Tite, oil, metal, whatever is in the hole. Then clean the hole with solvent, re-lube and go back to it. Go about 2 complete turns and back it out and clean. You'll eventually come to the point where the tap stops either becasue it bottoms out in the hole or comes to the end of the threads. Or, it comes out the far side of the work if it's a through hole. Unless your need more threads stop there. Now you're into bottoming and plug taps which aren't as "pointy" as a regluar tap and can go further into a hole, and break off deeper in the hole. We're just chasing or re-newing an existing thread so we'll stop there. If at any point the tap binds or grabs- STOP TURNING!!!. Back the tap out and find out why it's doing that. It may be the end of the hole or some garbage in the flutes causing it. The flutes in the tap carry the waste material so they need to be cleaned as they fill. DO NOT FORCE THE TAP, IT WILL BREAK!!! Just go slow and easy. If the tap starts grabbing or going cockeyed or there's clearly a problem then take the work piece to a gun shop or machine shop and have them do it. It could be a hardened work piece or some other problem. Until you've tapped 25 or 30 holes it's a learning process and you won't have the feel for it. Break a few taps and you'll know what fustrating work is. Once the tap cleans the threads, use the solvent and try your screw in the hole. Should be a nice, easy job to screw it in. Chasing a thread with a die is easier. Secure the screw or bolt in a vise and start the die with you fingers. Then lightly put the diestock on the die, secure the lock screw and do the 1/2 turn biz with the lubericant. You'll see the metal and dirt gather in the die flutes. Often you cna just back the die 1/2 turn and spray the garbage out of the flutes with solvent rahter than backing the die all the way off. Sometimes a small screw can be turned into the die with a screwdriver if it will start straight. The same cautions apply as with tapping a hole ecept if a screw beaks off in a die it's a relative breeze to get it out. Of course then you have to aquire a new screw to replace the one you broke.

The cardinal rules for tapping are-

1. Use a sharp, correct. lubricated tap or die.
2. Start the tap or die straight. If you tilt the tap it WILL break.
3. Use no more force than needed.
4. CLEAN THE TAP OR DIE EVERY TURN OR SO!!!!
5. STOP when the tap or die binds!
6. Go slow and easy and you should be OK.

versifier
11-27-2005, 01:30 PM
Never buy just one tap in any given size. Unless the hole goes all the way through whatever it has been drilled and tapped into, then it has a bottom. If you want as much thread bearing surface as you can get (especially important with shallow holes) then you need a bottoming tap. This is easily made from an old, broken (yes, I've seen it and done it - don't ask), or extra tap. 8) Carefully grind it down with water handy and quench it often so that it doesn't heat up enough to remove the temper until you are up past the tapered portion. To use one, you must start with a conventional tapered tap until it hits bottom, then blow the hole out with compressed air and follow with the bottomer. The bottoming tap needs the tapered tapped hole to start as it won't feed cleanly on its own. They are most useful for mounting sight bases, etc., and any application where you have a shallow hole with very few threads to depend on. [smilie=s: You can buy them, but they are often hard to find and usually more expensive.

Bret4207
11-30-2005, 09:23 AM
A quicky on grind stones- Everyone has a 6 or 8 inch grinder in the garage. FYI- the coarser the stone, the less heat builds up. The finer the stone, the quicker the metal heats up. I don't really understand why, I'm not all that bright, but it's true. If you really want to pick up some good info on sharpening and grinding then get Len Lee's "Complete Book of Sharpening" availble form www.LeeValley.com Lee Valley Tools/ Veritas. It's a compnay/store up in Ottawa Ont. and the catalog should be right there in the magazine rack next to the john, along with Brownells catalog. They sell a soft white grindstone that runs way cooler than the typical cheapy hard gray stones that your grinder came with. Just the thing for doing a really good job on yoour woodworking chisels etc. They also have a zillion and one items you'll find you can't live without and some real good, really hard to find books on wood working, metal working, gardening, all sorts of stuff. I got the complete Popular Mechanics Shop Note collection one Christmas. We're talking like 30 volumes of articles and ideas from 1915- 1945 or something like that. Way cool. Great company. Quick sevice.

StarMetal
11-30-2005, 11:36 AM
The coarse wheel presents less contact to the work, thus less friction. Think of the wheel coarse grade as tire tread, an off the road aggressive tread (coarse) presents less contact area then a racing slick (fine).

Joe

Safeshot
12-01-2005, 11:45 PM
They make handy mixing sticks for epoxie, paint and stain. Cut to lenght they make "no scratch" punches to remove pins such as the Remington 870 shotgun trigger group retaining pins. They make into easy "slave pins". Use them as small dowels for "pining" forend tips or repairing stocks. They even work nicely as retainers for screws when driven in tight fitting holes in concrete. Handy for reaching into tight plsces (won't scratch like metal). Good cleaning aid. Keep a few around the workbench you will find many other uses for them.

Bret4207
12-02-2005, 08:58 AM
Gorilla Glue- I don't know how long this stuff has been around, 3-4 years. It's one of the new brands of glue and I picked some up a while back. This stuff works on almost everything! I've glued metal to metal, glass to metal, fabric (glued the back of my calf to the seat of my pants accidentaly), plastic, even wood! It expands a bit and is messy but it works good. Little sample bottles are available at Walmart. This stuff has yellow wood glue beat by a mile.

JB Weld- the standard epoxy filler. Great for repairing the cracked steering wheel on your tractor, sealing a seam in a gas tank, making barrel vice blocks. Will not take loads, heat above maybe 250 degrees or impact. Handy stuff.

PC-7, Devcon, other 2 part epoxy type glues/fillers. Great for a lot of mechanical uses. Make sure you really degrease the mating surfaces. Epoxy doesn't stick to grease/rust/water/air. Some types will work in overhead work.

Brownells Acra-Glass and it's varieties. The gold standard glass bedding, cracked stock, all around handy 2 part epoxy type filler/glue. Can be colored. Never seen it fail on it's own, user failures do happen. Read any of the Gunsmith Kinks series to find a million and one uses. Even works as a stock finish!

Loc-Tite- There's about 27 different kinds and most work great. Go to their website and read up. You'll find what you need. Some types will even work to fill gaps and will hold a suprising amount of force, as in a stripped thread.

Krazy-Glue- Gotta have a little tube for fixing broken plates, figurines, Christmas ornaments and for gluing your index finger to your eyelid.

MT Gianni
12-04-2005, 01:04 AM
I love this thread! Gianni.

Bret4207
12-04-2005, 11:09 AM
I hope everyone adds their favorites to this one-

Books, books, books. Any gunny type he man has to have the aforementioned Brownells catalog. Better get Midways USA too, along with the standard Cabelas, Red Head, etc. Now there are a bunch of littler companys out there such as Lindsay Publishing, www.lindsaybks.com , that have titles you never dreamed of. Lindsays got a wicked sense of humour too, although a bit on the liberal side politicly. There's websites galore if hunt around. Don't over look the weblinks at the various gun sites you go to, lotsa good places.

There's an older book out there called Shop Savy by Roy Mongouvon (sp?) If you find a copy, grab it. You'll learn something new evrytime you pick it up. Same for the "Machinists Bedside Reader" series, available through "The Home Shop Machinist" magazine and Brownells. Any older copies of Audels books are great, carpentry, machining, plumbing and electrical work. The older pre-60's issues are better for us amature type guys because we don't have plasma cutters and CNC milling machines. In fact the early black covered series are my favorites and they are from the 20's and 30's. Their welding books are great. On welding there are a million old copies of "Welding Helps for Farmers" out there, great stuff. Same for any of the old Lincoln or Hobart books on welding. South Bend, LeBlond, Atlas, all the old lathe and machine tool companies put out books that are still available and indespensible. Check your local library too for older titles.

On guns- Clyde Bakers "Gunsmithing" book is the standard. James Howes 2 volume set is fantasic if you can afford it. Same with Dunlops book. All the Brownells "Gunsmithing Kinks" are required reading. Great recipies in there too, along with a bunch of good jokes. More later.

floodgate
12-04-2005, 01:39 PM
Bret:

Geez! Sounds like you're cataloging MY library! I've got at least as much invested (time as well as $$$) in "paper" as in the "hardware" of our avocation.

Floodgate

sundog
12-08-2005, 10:07 PM
Okay, I got a gripe and a pet peeve. Tools that you simply cannot hang on to! Who do these manufacurers think they are kidding by putting these shiny, highly polished finishes on tools? You simply cannot hang on to them. At all! I have some wrench that I got many years (many years) ago through J.C. Whitney that were produced in India and have a dimpled finish. Stay in the hand great. Quality is crap, but you can hang on to them. Lee is one of the offenders of slick finishes. I could care less if a die has a shiny finish, I'd rahter not have it slip from my fat little fingers. My Lee dies get a wrap of duct tape so I can at least handle them. I got tools out in the shop that get the slightest bit of oil or grease and I cannot hold them. Many of my very good tools have been run up against a grinding wheel just to rough the handle 'so's I kin to hold on'. Anyone else have this problem? I really hate to rough up some of my very good tools ($$$ and stuff my Dad had - $$$) but these slickery finishes are crap. sundog

PatMarlin
12-08-2005, 10:40 PM
Sundog-

You have to put down the BBQ while reloading.. :mrgreen:

waksupi
12-10-2005, 01:26 AM
Today, as I was inletting a barreled action, the head gunsmith came around, to check on my progress. I have always been a low tech gun builder, so was very happy to get his advise on getting the barrel drafted 50% into the stock. He showed me to take a square, and set the bottom corner, in the bottom of the inlet. Then, the wings of the square, will contact the edges of the inlet, at 180 degrees, which is the appropriate depth, no matter where you are checking on the barrel channel. This cuts the inletting time immensely.
This guy is a Kuwait era Marine, a grad from the Colorado gunsmith school, and worked under Dennis Olson. I do believe this will be a very educational job.

twotoescharlie
12-10-2005, 02:42 PM
for mixing small amounts of epoxy or bedding compound, turn a beer or soda can upside down , nice little place on bottom for mixing.

TTC

Bret4207
12-11-2005, 09:19 AM
My in-laws just arived for a 3 week + visit. I may not have the time or sanity to add to this for a while.........

carpetman
12-11-2005, 10:02 AM
Shop tip---When inlaws come for a three week visit. Keep several cans of beans in your shop. Eat several cans of these daily(don't let inlaws know about these or have any of them). Maybe they will cut visit to two weeks or maybe just one week.

PatMarlin
12-11-2005, 12:39 PM
LOL....... Carpetman, he, hee.

I feel for ya Bret.. :shock: :Fire: [smilie=b:

Frank46
12-12-2005, 05:38 AM
Carpetman, was an article in the daily paper the other day. Seems one woman was protesting the use of cat skins to make fur coats. She had a coat made outta 20 cat skins. Seems in some eastern european countries 2-3000 cats per week go missing. Yup you guessed it, theys cat skin coats now. And now so's I don't get yelled at for being off topic here is my suggestion for shop tips. Lubrication for your lathe. I keep separate oil cans, all different for each of the lubricants, cutting oils I use in my shop.
And may I add that good secure footing should be observed in your shops. By this I mean not having to climb over and around anything on the floor. Keep the floors clean. STP makes a decent lube for those solid lathe centers in the tailstock. But someone suggested using breakin oil for new engines. Never tried it as I could never find any at the local auto parts supply houses. Frank

Jumptrap
12-12-2005, 12:29 PM
[QUOTE=Frank46. But someone suggested using breakin oil for new engines. Never tried it as I could never find any at the local auto parts supply houses. Frank[/QUOTE]

Frank,

You're in luck! never in my life did I buy that line of " that engine's got break in oil in it" until now.

I bought a new JD tractor last summer and the owners manual plainly states the engine is filled with 'break in oil' and to run it for 100 hours. Furthermore (where your luck comes in) JOHN DEERE SELLS BREAK IN OIL! So, if you happen to have a JD tractor dealership nearby...they should have it on the shelf. I suppose they sell it so you can top off any use in a new engine or for use in a newly rebuilt engine. I haven't got a clue what it's secret properties are...looks like regular oil to me on the dipstick.

StarMetal
12-12-2005, 12:39 PM
From what I've learned in my engine building experience break in oil use to be a non detergent single weight oil. Detergent oil suspends the dirt that it may pick up in an engine. Non Detergent oil does not. That means the dirt gets left in the oil pan mostly. You don't want dirt suspended in the oil during break in. Yeah the filter is supposely filter this stuff out. It's even hard to find non detergent oil anymore, especially at places like Auto Zone. I would imagine NAPA still sells it.

I'll bet you that John Deere break in oil is really expensive and it's a rip off if it is.

Joe

Buckshot
12-18-2005, 09:35 AM
.............For excellent quality low cost oil for firearms use about a year ago I switched over to 2 of those I use on my lathe and mill. One I use is 'Way oil' and I use this on the 2 automatics I own and on bolt lugs and thier races. It is a clear oil that has 3 additives that make it attractive for this. One is an anti 'stick slip' and another is one to make it sticky.

Not sticky like holding a candy cane too long, but it's designed to adhere to prismatic machine ways and not just run off. Finally it has extreme pressure additives. Machine gibbs and ways are a direct metal to metal contact and this oil tends to stay between them.

The other oil is 'Spindle Oil' which is a highly refined clear non-detergent light oil of about 10 wt used for high speed precision rotating assemblies like lathe spindles in plainbearings, high speed ball bearings and etc. This oil is used on fine internal parts like inside bolts, triggers and pistol lockwork. Neither form sticky gummy residues over time.

Best of all you can pick them up for between $12 and $15 a gallon. Any of the regular gun market oils in that quantity would probably run a grand a gallon.

I don't think it the best for external metal perservation as any oil leaving a sheen will attract and capture lint, dust and the like. For that, for normal and not long term storage I like the silicone impregnated rag wipedown.

..............Buckshot

Frank46
12-20-2005, 03:23 AM
Jumptrap, thanks for the john deere tip. There is a dealership not too far from here. Will check it out. You'd think an auto parts place would sell breakin oil. I get vacant stares every time I ask.
Buckshot, I purchased both the way oil and DTE medium heavy gear oil from the local mobil
oil dealer here in town. I had to get 5 gallon pails as this was the smallest size they sold. Probably have enough to last as long as I live. I had a friend that every other oil change would flush out his engine with DTE light. He'd dump the old oil put in 4-5 quarts dte light run the engine then dump the dte and filter. Put in new filter and regular motor oil. The dte light was used for lubrication fof steam turbines so maybe there was a method to his madness. Frank

twotoescharlie
12-20-2005, 01:54 PM
wally world has it in the auto dept. I use the 30w in all of my mowers as I change oil often.

TTC

Ricochet
12-27-2005, 11:51 PM
Buckshot, I've gone to using ISO 22 spindle oil, which is equivalent in viscosity to the old SAE 5. Noticeably less viscous than ATF, which is about ISO 34 or SAE 10 viscosity. It's nondetergent, with rust and oxidation inhibitors, and has excellent demulcent (water rejecting) properties. (Dexron III ATF contains detergents and forms very stable emulsions with water, a disadvantage for gun lubrication.) Here's where you can get a gallon of it for about $8 plus shipping. They also have it in 5 gallon containers, if you prefer.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INSRAR2&PMAKA=505-1994&PMPXNO=944170

There are less viscous spindle oils for higher speed service, ISO viscosity grades 15, 10, 6, 4 and 2. The numbers are the kinematic viscosities in centipoise at 40°C. For reference, the viscosity of #2 Diesel fuel at the reference temperature of 40°C is about 6-8 centipoise, and water is about 1 cP.

I use the spindle oil in the tone generator of my Hammond organ too. The most proper stuff for it's ISO 10, but that was chosen because lots of Hammonds sit around in unheated chapels. Mine doesn't. ISO 22's not going to make my rifle bolt stick in any temperature I'm going to go out in, either!

Bret4207
01-07-2006, 09:27 AM
Couple quickies-

Although Brownells sell these really nice 6" long swabs, for 99.9% of gun/shop work generic Q-tips work great. That .1% of the time those 6" swabs really help.

You cold blue guys got to remember- DEGREASE everything associated with the process, especially the steel wool! I had problems cold bluing after Dad died until I recalled him degreasing the wool. Big difference.

Learn how to make vise jaws. Leather, wood, copper, rubber, plastic all have their palce.

Keep your eye's open for hunks of copper or brass that will work as punches. I found a 1"x8" hunka brass along the road one day (the 1 beneift of crawling around under trucks). What a great drift!

Frank46
01-08-2006, 02:55 AM
Back in my dumpster diving days, I used to find old valves that had brass valve stems. Would pour some penetrating oil on them and let sit for a day or so. I'd go into the dumpster and take em apart. Don't laugh you'd be suprised what gets tossed. I have at least three 1/2hp motors which over the years have become various buffers, replacement for burned out drill press motor. Of course at age 59 my diving days are over. Getting in isn't so bad as getting out. Frank

Topper
02-11-2006, 03:22 PM
Very interesting and informative post.
One tip I picked up years back is how to avoid damaging the finish on weapons during disassembly.
Cover the area with masking tape and rub the tape until you can see the screw or pin you want to remove.
Screws will back and pins will push through without and leave the surrounding area of tape in place.
If you have a slip-up, there will not be any damage or at least it will be far less.
Note: I wish more gunsmiths would utilize this, it really urks me to have work done and get it back with a scratch or a nick.

RalphH
02-11-2006, 04:47 PM
Greetings, Gentlemen,

Occasionally, during my restoration projects, I will run into a threaded hole that is stripped. The screw will be in acceptable condition. For one reason or another going to a larger size is out of the question, or just want to keep the original screw size, I have found that Loctite Form-A-Thread repairs the internal thread and is amazingly strong. Best of all, the repair is invisible and undetectable.

RugerFan
02-11-2006, 08:12 PM
Does anyone know where to get the cotton type of pipe cleaners. Not the nylon "chenille" type that you buy at Walmart (and also used for crafts) and not the kind with that come with the tough bristles spread throughout. The kind I'm talking about is used by the US Army to clean M16s, M9s, etc. They work much better than that non-absorbent chenille crap and I can't seem to find them anywhere. I haven't checked an actual smoke shop yet. Haven't seen one around here locally.

Topper
02-11-2006, 10:56 PM
Does anyone know where to get the cotton type of pipe cleaners. Not the nylon "chenille" type that you buy at Walmart (and also used for crafts) and not the kind with that come with the tough bristles spread throughout. The kind I'm talking about is used by the US Army to clean M16s, M9s, etc. They work much better than that non-absorbent chenille crap and I can't seem to find them anywhere. I haven't checked an actual smoke shop yet. Haven't seen one around here locally.

Hi Rugerfan.
Try this link: All Cotton Pipe Cleaners (http://www.jrcigars.com/index.cfm?page=accessories_detail&ItemCode=10DPB&type=SMA)

RugerFan
02-11-2006, 11:50 PM
Hi Rugerfan.
Try this link: All Cotton Pipe Cleaners (http://www.jrcigars.com/index.cfm?page=accessories_detail&ItemCode=10DPB&type=SMA)

Thanks Topper that looks like the critter.

fiberoptik
02-15-2006, 01:31 AM
Shop tip---When inlaws come for a three week visit. Keep several cans of beans in your shop. Eat several cans of these daily(don't let inlaws know about these or have any of them). Maybe they will cut visit to two weeks or maybe just one week.

Nah, the real head turner is fried eggs, refries, and those nice little cans of jalepeno's purreed with just a little of the juice & a dash of salt, plus lots of garlic. I can vouch for this one. I was in the movies in Mex. and my in-law's left me by myself I reeked so bad. Someone with a nose even started dissin me. My Pop-in-law said, " I don't know him!" THIS will get rid off offending family mooches! To be extra rank, eat it 2x a day, daily. I'm soo blessed not to have a sense of smell....

Bret4207
02-15-2006, 08:15 AM
Thanks for the tips. They left a few days ago. Now I need about a months vacation to catch up on all the crap I didn't get done due to the "babysitting".

Bret4207
03-21-2006, 10:18 AM
I've tried to come up with something interesting to add here, but apparently have writers block, or maybe I just don't know all that much, probably the latter.

Couple little tips-

Never,ever throw away a broken broom, rake, hammer, axe, sledge handle. The broom and rake hadles make dandy paper towel roll holders and they can be cut off and used as hangers for farily heavy items by drilling an apporpriate sized hole in a stud and driving the handle in there. Works good for garden hose, belts, etc. The heavier handles make good sprue plate knockers and if rasped down to a reasonable size make better hammer handles than store bought ones.

A great design for a vise stand involves an old car rim, a hunk of well casing or other pipe at least 4" in diameter a flat mounting plate for the vise and some concrete. Obviously the vise gets mounted to the flat plate, which gets welded to the pipe at a handy height, and the pipe gets welded to the rim which lays flat on the floor. Brace the pipe to the rim as you deem appropriate. Then fill the rim with concrete, about 1-2 bags of Sack-rete should do fine. I suppose some heathen might use LEAD, but we all know there are much, much better uses for lead. The beauty of this design is that you can roll that vise around to where ever you need it. Real handy.

Another nifty vice kink, (Uncle Ray will catch that one fer sure!) is to mount a vise to a flat plate welded to a reciever hitch insert. Real handy to be able to just pull the pin on the trailer ball and stick the vise onto your truck. Good and solid too.

Those receiver hitch set ups offer another possibilty- The female part is availble as a seperate piece about 8" long. Theres no reason a guy couldn't weld one to a stand like the vise stand above and get several of the male inserts and attach his press, sizer and such to seperate inserts. Or you could attach the female part to your bench and go that way. You aren't dealing with a tremendous amount of torque so the samller hitch pieces ( about 1" square vs the larger 2or 2.5" setups) could be used. They're cheaper and would be easier to work with too.

MT Gianni
03-21-2006, 11:06 PM
! 1/4" is the smaller standard for square tubing in a hitch. I have a 9' bed on my company work truck and a 1 1/4" square tubing holds a pipe vise in the rear corner. It is a custom step bumper but holds enough for the torque of a 36" pipe wrench and all this fat boy can pull on it so it's plenty tough for house and casting projects. Gianni.

Bret4207
03-22-2006, 10:36 AM
Thanks Mt G, I was too lazy to walk out and actually measure the hitches on the Explorer and Toyota.

bruce drake
06-30-2006, 08:56 AM
A quick tip from Brownell's "Gunsmith Kinks" Series that I can endorse:

Emergency Case Puller

If a 30 cal shell casing separates in your rifle leaving you with a headless case in your chamber and you don't have a standard headless extractor, a 38 cal pistol brush screwed onto a cleaning rod may be able to remove the case. Insert the brush into the chamber area past the mouth of the headless case and then pull backwards. It should easily pull the brass case out of the chamber.

I've used the same method with a 38 brush to remove a 7.62x54 case from a Mosin Nagant I have so I can say it can work.

Bruce

NucEm
07-02-2006, 01:45 PM
Most of you propably already know and use it so its just repetition[smilie=1:
The cleaning rods, steel and brass or whatever can sometimes do more damage to the guns than wanted:twisted: In the electrical equipment shop one could buy some heat shrink tubing. Lots of different diameters and lots of different colors too:)
Find the one thats closest to your cleaning rod in dia, clean that rod and put it in the tubing. Use hot air to shrink the tubing and its finished:) Easy to peel of with a sharp blade if you want that later and its a lot softer to the mettal than the original steel or brass cleaning rod:coffee:

Bret4207
10-04-2006, 09:18 AM
Didn't realize it'd been so long since I blathered on here!

Stuck casings- In addition to the bore brush method, you can use a spiral type srew extractor. You very GENTLY turn it into the broken off case and it should come right out. Sometimes a cleaning rod from the muzzle end will knock it out. Freezing the action will also help.

Reloading dies- This seems real simple but- When you get a new die, or used die for that matter, take a minute and clean that sucker up. Nothing against Lee, I should own stock in the company I have so much of their stuff, but many of their dies are FILTHY when received. Take them apart and use a solvent to clean them up good followed by a metal protector. Might be a good idea to remove the O ring on the Lee type to protect it from solvents.

Loose mould handles- After waiting for the handles to cool down, (you can guess why I added that!), pull the handles off. You can try a bunch of methods to secure them. Due to the heat I haven't had much luck with glue/epoxy. Toothpicks on the other hand, combined with a homemade feurrle (sp) do work. Main thing is to determine WHY they're loose and remedy the issue. Bits of wire inserted into the handle hole sometimes work. This ain't art. It's a freakin' mould handle. Ugly is ok.

Loose handles on a mould- Sometimes we have to make do. My first set of Lyman type handles was made from a radiator hose clamp pliers. They fit the old spring style clamps and already had a hole about where I needed it. (To this day my evil step father wonders where they went! BWAAAAAHHHHAAAAAAA!!!! Trade ya for my Marlin 44 mag and the 2 Savage 24's you took you dirty........, uh, sorry.) Anyway, they didn't fit real tight. But by shimming them with some soft copper tubing they worked. Same idea with factory type handles. If they go all wimpy and loose on the mould, just shim them with washers made from pop cans, shim stock, anything that won't melt. A hole punch for paper will work on aluminum, or you can punch a hole with a flat nosed punch against a wood surface. Shim till the setup feels right and stop. Easy as pie.

Loose sprue plate screws- OK, some moulds have a set screw to lock the sprue plate screw. Assuming that screw will move you're all set. If on the other hand you're like me and will buy any old rusty mould that you might concievably one day own a gun for you WILL end up with a non-functioning or non-existant set screw. If the sprue plate screw won't stay where God and man declared it should be there is a simple fix. Getcher screw where you want it. Then take a prick punch or nail set and LIGHTLY punch the side of the mould over the screw hole, about halfway down the length of the screw. What you are doing is very slightly dimpling the hole the sprue plate screw runs in. This will cause the screw to bind a little and stay put. Don't over do it. Try the screw as you go. When you feel a bit of resistance, thats far enough.

Sprue plate sharpness- A nice sharp sprue cutter is good. Dull is bad. Dull makes holes in the boolit base among other things. Get a cone shaped stone designed for the Dremel tool at Wally World or where ever. DO NOT PUT IT IN A DREMEL TO DO THIS!!!! Read the last sentence about 10 times. Take the sprue plate off the mould. Using yer fingers twist the stone in the sprue hole till you just feel a ridge start to form on the bottom of the sprue plate. Give it about 3 more twists. Stop there! Now you have to flaten the ridge you just formed. When you bought the stone you also bought at least one sheet of 320 grit abrasive paper, at the auto parts store if the hardware or Wal Mart ain't got it. Finer paper will work and give you a nicer finsher, but don't go coaser if you can help it. A FLAT shapening stone will also work. Put the paper on a FLAT surface, like a piece of glass, stone counter top, or if nothing else is available the side of the mould itself. That will be very small, but it can work in a pinch. Gently rub the sprue plate in a circulare motion, a small circle with not a lot of pressure. All you are doing is knocking that ridge back a little. You'll see the ridge as a shiny spot around the sprue hole at first. Then after 5 or 6 cirlces check it. If the shiny ring is about gone stop there. Thats all there is to it. That sucker should cut like a hot knife through butter. Try it and see.

Maven
10-04-2006, 09:43 AM
Bret, You know how Lyman & Lee mold handles sometimes work loose? I've used JB Weld or plain epoxy many times and have never had the wooden handles bend, warp splinter or loosen again. Also, for loose sprue plates on molds with set screws, e.g., Lyman/Ideals, an easy fix is to mark the sprue plate screw when it's in the correct position (with respect to movement, tension, etc.) and file a flat on it. The set screw can then bear on it and maintain the proper adjustment.

P.S. Glad to hear you avoided serious injury in your battle with the red oak.

RugerFan
10-04-2006, 09:52 AM
Loose mould handles- After waiting for the handles to cool down, (you can guess why I added that!), pull the handles off. You can try a bunch of methods to secure them. Due to the heat I haven't had much luck with glue/epoxy.

JBWeld is supposed to work on engine blocks, so it will definitely handle the heat. Your sprue plate sharpening tip sounds like a winner. I'll have to give it a try.

Bret4207
10-04-2006, 09:57 AM
Must be mine just get hotter. They tend to loosen back up on me. Maybe it's me manly mitts crushing the very life outta the 'poxy?!

TCLouis
10-06-2006, 09:49 PM
The story is when, NOT IFthe handles will come loose on a Lee mold.
Single cavity to 6 banger , my experience is that it IS going to come loose.

NOT A PROBLEMO!!

As soon as the mold /mold handle comes into ones possession:

Chuck a 1/16" drill bit in the drill press,

Tap the wooden handle on snug if it is loose,

Drill thru the metal ferrule cap and wooden handle,

Use the appropriate finishing nail or other 1/16 diameter wire to make a rivet.

Once treated like that, I have never had one come loose.

TCLouis
10-06-2006, 09:55 PM
I have had a couple fail so I make a simple fix before I use them.

Sand the wood down untill warmed 3/4" ( think that is right diameter and they are not close by to check) PVC pipe can ge "gently forced over the wood and metal ferrule.

NO more problems with the metal ripping out thru the wood when sprues get a little too cold/hard!

Four Fingers of Death
10-07-2006, 12:16 AM
RCBS are just as guilty in this area I have found. Mick.

georgeld
10-13-2006, 01:57 AM
Wonder why I haven't found this thread before tonight. Over the years I've come up with hundreds of things. Maybe I can think of a few now.

Seems most families have someone wearing contact lenses. Take the empty Saline bottles and use them as oil can's. Sure handy for that. I've got one with ATF to lube the Lee mold pins, hinges. Just a drop will come out, perfect for this.

Way back in the late 50s they made a Liquid Steel, I haven't found the same stuff in many years. JB weld isn't as good. I even filled some pits in the surface of the concrete porch that have been there since then, over 45 yrs, crowding 50 maybe.

Did you know a lot/most of the surgeons are using a form of Crazy Glue to 'stitch' you back together instead of sewing? Girl friends dau is an operating room assistant and she got a bottle of regular crazy glue out to fix a bad cut on her man's hand one day I was there Worked slick! I've put two of them in my first aid kit and use them often to glue those painful little cuts together. Even used it on a major cut and it worked good there too.

Sundog: Slick handles? Here's the solution to that. Epoxy, fiberglass resin or such sticky, get some on your slick tools and sprinkle or rub some fine sand in it. They'll never be slick again, and mighty hard to get it off them IF the surface is half way clean of oil.

Frank46: many an old sludged up engine can be washed out real well with Diesel #2. Drain the oil, new filter, put about two gallons in a five quart capacity engine and let it idle for half hour. Don't run the rpm up, or you'll knock the bearings out. Just a slow idle is good. Crankshaft splashes it around real good. Drain it, another new filter and fresh oil and that engine will stay clean for a long time.

Bret: Those old broom handles make dandy shooting sticks. Run one side thru the table saw to flatten them, point one end, drill a 1/4" hole about 3-6" down from the rounded top and bolt them together. Cut them to the right length before pointing. For shorter one's, just spread the tips out further.

To make a cheap reamer. Get some (yeah!!) drill rod, leave enough end for chucking it, turn the shape you want in a lathe, turn the leading tip down to the proper pilot, round off the front edge. Then grind, or mill just half one side away, leaving the pilot alone, file, or stone it smooth. Then heat and quench til cold then stone the flat surface til the edge's are sharp. You can even make sizing dies this way, or rechamber a gun etc. These are HAND reamers so turn them by hand, not in a lathe. Use a little cutting oil to retain the edge and assist cutting. A Tee tap handle is real handy if using these by hand and not chucking in a lathe and turning the chuck by hand.

That's about all I can think of this time. Great thread Bret.

PatMarlin
10-13-2006, 10:20 AM
Good post George..

Now do you have a cure for me as to why- when I get some extra dollars, I spend them on a rifle, then I'm back to being broke again?.. :mrgreen:

Hey on that engine sludge deal...

I've wondered if churning up all those contaminants and corundum is a good idea with an engine flush? I bought my wife an 2002 Toyota with a V6 this year and I put a new air filter in it. We drive on dusty roads part of the time, and I grease around the seals so they are tight.

Well I went to replace the filter, and it actually failed. I think it was a cheap manufactured filter. Some dust went through the pleated paper media. How much I don't know, but you could see a fine film of dust behind the filter. I never saw a filter do that.

I was so PO'd, cause this is not a cheap engine, I was thinking about doing an engine flush like you spoke of, but I don't want to cause further damage.

You got any pics on your homemade reamer? That would be great!.. :drinks:

montana_charlie
10-13-2006, 01:59 PM
The first stock work I ever attempted was to fit a 90% inletted blank to my Remington 700. I read about it for a couple of months while looking occasionally at the new wood, then started collecting tools.
Got some chisels, a couple of real good files, made some scrapers, and bought a Dremel tool (back when single speed was the only kind).
It became apparent, as soon as I touched wood with it, that Dremel tool ran way too fast.

A duplex outlet and a ceiling fan control, mounted in a double electrical box, makes a speed control that works on any motor you plug into it...as well as being a handy extension cord for other things - when it's turned all the way up.
CM

Ricochet
10-13-2006, 04:16 PM
Make sure those saline bottles full of oil are marked well so nobody will put the stuff in their eyes or on their contacts.

My dad used to be bad about using Coke bottles to hold small amounts of motor oil and gasoline around the garage. Lots of folks do that, and it's a common way kids get poisoned.

waksupi
10-13-2006, 10:34 PM
Best Dremel tip yet. If you are going to do gun work, take your Dremel, and pound it with at least a four pound single jack, upon an anvil. More guns are ruined with a Dremel, than in any other way.

Slowpoke
10-13-2006, 11:35 PM
A dremel is sure handy for polishing, breech faces, feed ramps, chambers, dies, expanders etc.

Good luck

Bret4207
10-16-2006, 08:19 AM
A thought or 2-

Never, ever, ever throw out any electrical appliance before doing a couple things.

1- Cut the cord. You'll need it eventually and many appliances like drills and sanders come with nice cords. Saves $$$$.

2- Never throw a drill away without at least trying to get the chuck off it. Again, you'll need it someday.

3- If you're good with electric stuff, I'm not, washing machine motors are supposed to be good for running shop type stuff.

4- Nuts, bolts, springs, belts, lamps- strip what you can. Less $$$ spent on the aforementioned items you saved means more $$$ to spend on gunz.

5- Treadmill motors are supposed to be great for running drill presses. Lotsa horses and variable speeds from slow to really slow. I just scavanged one and will let you know if it works.

redneckdan
10-16-2006, 08:44 AM
Did you know a lot/most of the surgeons are using a form of Crazy Glue to 'stitch' you back together instead of sewing? Girl friends dau is an operating room assistant and she got a bottle of regular crazy glue out to fix a bad cut on her man's hand one day I was there Worked slick! I've put two of them in my first aid kit and use them often to glue those painful little cuts together. Even used it on a major cut and it worked good there too.

The medical stuff is CLOSE to crazy glue but not exactly the same stuff. The medical stuff does not release formeldahyde as it breaks down, crazy glue does. The amount released is usually not enough to hurt you and it takes about a week for it to start breaking down. I do keep a fresh tube of crazy glue in my survival kit. If I getta bad cut, I'll glue my self back together and then get to the hospital. The crazy glue adhesive is activated by moisture, that why is works so great fir sealing wounds, the more you are bleeding, the faster it sets. as the guiness guys would say, BRILLIANT!:drinks:

Bret4207
01-03-2007, 09:37 AM
A real quick link- www.micromark.com These guys are into model building. But, they have lotsa stuff us gunny types love. Take a peek!

mag_01
01-03-2007, 11:52 AM
I use old washing maching jugs that the soap comes in to store empty cases--just mark case size with black marker ---45ACP---38---ect.----Mag

trooperdan
01-03-2007, 12:49 PM
I use old washing maching jugs that the soap comes in to store empty cases--just mark case size with black marker ---45ACP---38---ect.----Mag

Darn! I thought I was the only one that did that! My "brass containers" are bright orange and labeled "TIDE!" :)

carpetman
01-03-2007, 12:51 PM
I prefer the plastic containers that are clear.

Cayoot
01-03-2007, 12:53 PM
My favorite is the large plastic "Folgers" coffee cans. Shaped right for stacking and holds plenty.

spottedpony
01-29-2007, 02:42 AM
............................. and bought a Dremel tool (back when single speed was the only kind).
It became apparent, as soon as I touched wood with it, that Dremel tool ran way too fast.

A duplex outlet and a ceiling fan control, mounted in a double electrical box, makes a speed control that works on any motor you plug into it...as well as being a handy extension cord for other things - when it's turned all the way up.
CM

Be sure to use a ceiling fan control and not a dimmer switch for lighting. fan control switches (or any other variable speed motor controller) start at max voltage & rpm's where as light dimmer switches start at minimum voltage and thus rpm's. the low voltage start up will burn up motors.

Crash_Corrigan
04-11-2007, 11:47 AM
I smoke a pipe. The 12 oz Captain Black cans (usta be metal--alas now paper) are just dandy for Brass, Boolits and assemble cartridges.

Q-tips, pipe cleaners and toothpicks are all in my range box as well as my loading bench. Ed's Red and Non-Aromatic Mineral spirits are also carried at all times. I keep a hunk of plastic pipe in my trunk with a spare cleaning rod as I am prone to forget to take it to the range and when the .223 is fouled my session is over unless I remember the spare rod in the trunk. Then I must also remember to put it back there. I cannot tell you how many times I have left something on/in/under/on top of the benchrest shooting sheds and I have to drive back there. Now the last thing I do is get everything packed and then get out the car and walk around for about 5 minutes scouting for anything that remains. I usually find some brass or other tidbit. CRS is abundant and recurring and get worse every day. I live with lists. Without them I would get nothing done. I must write it down or it will not get done.
Carpenters pencil.....great for lubing molds and also marking up lists.
Old sheets....brass catchers, covering the Dillon Press from the dust and when totally worn out to be used for cleaning patches. Clorox bleach containers when cut properly are dandy for sorting brass, storing bass, lead ingots (once loaded--cannot be moved to easily), ww's, range lead, walnut or corn cob media and the list goes on.

Molly
05-10-2007, 11:40 PM
Hi guys,

I stumbled on a great way to repair the chipped gutta percha grips found on so many older revolvers. I picked up one of the same at a recent gun show, and was bemoaning a huge chip at the bottom of the right grip of an otherwise pretty nice litle house gun. But I noticed that my wife's friend (a real artsy-craftsy type) was making some realy interesting 'jewelry' from what is called polymer clay. It's available in any crafts shop, an in a huge variety of colors - including jet black!

Her trinkets were hard and tough as nails, so I thought I'd take a look at the stuff. I bought a small brick (~2"x2"x1/2") of black polymer clay, and cut off a tiny piece about the size of my small fingernail. I mushed it around a bit (the uncured material is as soft as modeling clay) and pressed it into the grip's chipped area, Then I smoothed it with a spatula to match the contour of the original grip. A butter knife would do just as well. This was slipped onto a sheet of paper and baked for 30 minutes in the family oven at 260F, per instructions on the package.

It came out perfect: No shrinkage (none noticable anyhow), and hard enough to file and sand. But it didn't stick to the gutta percha at all: Fell right off, though it made a precision molding of the irregularities of the chipped surface. The fit was so good that when I put it back in place, the seam was all but invisible.

I decided to try to follow it up a bit before dropping the idea. I mixed up a few drops of Brownell's AccuraGlass, and used just enought to wet the chipped area. Then I pressed the polymer clay in place, and left it overnight. Next morning, the durn thing was solid as a rock, and looked great. I didn't do it, but I believe you could polish and checker this to make an all but invisible repair if you took the notion.

carpetman
05-10-2007, 11:59 PM
Molly---could you give us the dimensions of your small fingernail,so we know how much of that stuff to use?

Molly
05-11-2007, 12:09 AM
Molly---could you give us the dimensions of your small fingernail,so we know how much of that stuff to use?

(VBG) Of course! Be glad to. It just so happens that my small fingernail is just a trifle larger than the chip I needed to repair. So now you know to use a volume of polymer clay just a trifle larger than the chip you want to fix. Does that clear things up a bit? Glad I could help.

EMC45
07-06-2007, 10:54 AM
I may be a bit repetitive here, but here goes: Qtips which are a no brainer, but get the ones with the paper tube and not the plastic tube. The plastic ones seem to lose their cotton at the worst moment. I try to tell the old lady to get 'em when she goes out and then I snag about half the pack! Dental picks, perfect for digging all the hidden crud out of your guns. Dremmel tool, it will get used. Sharpening stones, India and Arkansas types for slicking up (stoning) parts and for keeping that skinnin' knife sharp! Marsh ink brush for oiling. JB bore lap, it will get used...... for something! Punches and more punches. Formula (baby) cans will hold a bunch of spent brass and cast bullets. Wooden dowel rod in different sizes, for slugging bores and for hanging stocks to dry after finishing. Two part epoxy of some kind (Acra Glas). Files, standard and Swiss. Mine have seen plenty of use. A vise and Vise-Grips, unlimited posibilities. There is so much more that gets used and is forgotten.

Gordon Lewis
07-06-2007, 11:34 AM
First time doing this,posting something.New at casting anything other then fish bait.How can I tell which wheel weights contain zinc Thank you JED

trooperdan
07-06-2007, 02:15 PM
Gordon, welcome to the boards! You'll find many mentions of the dreaded ZN WW in other forums but a quick reply for you. Some zinc weights will have the letters ZN on them. Usually they are riveted to the clips instead of cast on and they are HARD! Go at them with a pair of side-cutters and they are tough as woodpecker lips, lead will cut easily. Keep your temp down when smelting, below 650 or so and dip out the floaters.

Junior1942
07-06-2007, 03:03 PM
First time doing this,posting something.New at casting anything other then fish bait.How can I tell which wheel weights contain zinc Thank you JEDGet a casting thermometer so you'll know when your melt is getting over ~650 degrees.

RSOJim
07-07-2007, 07:51 AM
Hey Junior, can you give me a quick lesson on how to hone out a sizing die ? I am still trying to get these old MN"s to shoot. thanks Jim

EMC45
07-12-2007, 09:51 AM
Also a good screwdriver set! The Wheeler set from Midway is great and a lifesaver. I thought about the Brownell's master set, but the Wheeler set is cheaper and has more bits in it. Oh yeah C clamps and lots of 'em! They will be used for something.

Bret4207
07-13-2007, 07:27 AM
Hey Junior, can you give me a quick lesson on how to hone out a sizing die ? I am still trying to get these old MN"s to shoot. thanks Jim

A lee die can be honed out by taking a strip of 120 gr paper and wraping it around a rod that'll allow it to fit in the die. Then start rolling it on your thigh. do 50 rolls then switch the rig end for end so the wear evens out. I opened a Lee .329 die to .331+ in 200 rolls. Finish off with finer paper if you want.

On a Lyman/RCBS die you could try the same thing, but they are reported to be much harder. Stillwell tool and ide used to open them Try a search here or Google.

Just a quick note on tools. You can get cheap tools (clamps, screwdrivers, pliers, hammers, puches) at a variety of places. Wal Mart, TSC, the various industrial supply places like Enco, MSC. There's nothing wrong with cheap tools for many things. They can be welded, bent, brazed, ground, whatever into shapes or modified for what you need. You aren't sacrificing an heirloom tool, you're making do. No sin in that.

Junior1942
07-13-2007, 07:46 AM
A lee die can be honed out by taking a strip of 120 gr paper and wraping it around a rod that'll allow it to fit in the die. Then start rolling it on your thigh. do 50 rolls then switch the rig end for end so the wear evens out. I opened a Lee .329 die to .331+ in 200 rolls. Finish off with finer paper if you want.The problem with rolling is you'll hone rings inside the die. You need in and out in combination with rolling. Also, if I needed more than .002" reamed out of a die, I'd spend the $29 for Lee to make me one in the size I wanted.

Bret4207
09-02-2007, 09:12 AM
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/parts-repairs/88697-repair-mechanic-tricks-tips.html

Thats a link to a similar thread. Good stuff!

10-02-2007, 01:53 AM
The little containers that SWMBO's quart Crystal Light mix comes in are just thing form mixing small amounts of stain etc. Just pull the foil all the way off and it looks exactly like what came with my last stock finishing kit.

The bigger container (that the above mentioned tubs come in) with a snap-on lid looks like it will be very useful, but I haven't found its divine purpose yet.

Josh

pumpguy
10-05-2007, 12:53 AM
I tumble lube all my boolits. I got tired of smelling like LLA for 3 days after I stood the boolits up to dry. I tried using some cheap latex gloves, but, the LLA and mineral spirits I use to thin it turned the gloves to mush. I went to the rx department at Sams and bought a box of nitrile gloves for less than $10.00. Now I wear them for everything from cleaning guns to changing oil. It wasn't too long ago that these gloves were about $2.00 a pair and only available at industrial supply houses.

Ricochet
10-05-2007, 10:01 AM
I quit standing the bullets up to dry. Works just as well to spread 'em out on a sheet as they fall.

Cayoot
10-05-2007, 10:06 AM
Works just as well to spread 'em out on a sheet as they fall.

I think that this is especially true if you apply LLA twice (as in two coats).

Still, they do look cool standing up :mrgreen:

Calamity Jake
10-05-2007, 11:41 AM
I use tweezers and stand them up on wax paper.

Molly
10-06-2007, 11:25 AM
...I went to the rx department at Sams and bought a box of nitrile gloves for less than $10.00. Now I wear them for everything from cleaning guns to changing oil. ...

I'll double this in spades, and add that the nitrile (no other kind) gloves are also great protection from solvents, like lighter fluid, paint thinner,gasoline and a host of other unpleasant chemicals like caustic bluing tanks and easy-off oven cleaner. As a chemist, I KNOW. I keep them on hand at all times.

Molly

missionary5155
07-17-2008, 09:15 PM
Another handy item is a magnifier visor... several companies make them... about 3-5 power is great for those little parts..places..special honing jobs... I used mine today for a solder and honing job on a indexing pawl on a Colt :-D

Crash_Corrigan
08-22-2008, 04:01 AM
They work for me....keep the data on a piece of tape attached to the lid. After lubing and sizing I roll 'em in a bath of corn starch to keep them clean and non sticky.

Was having a problem with lubed boolits in hot weather getting sticky and messing up my dies. Not to mention my hands got messed up while running the Dillon press....that red lube sticks to everything. Corn starch works....cheap and availlable....keep a sifter made from a hardwood frame with plastic screening tacked on bottom to sift excess media from dusted boolits and save excess starch for next time. Did I mention I was cheap?

Then they go back into a CB can until assembly into a round. The CB cans stack well and when full of boolits weigh upwards of 30 pounds. As a result one side of my reloading area has a wooden rack that is tilted a mite to the rear to hold the cans. The rack is on the floor with a 2x4 on the bottom which maintains the required angle away from the wall. I have 10 cans in a tower and 8 cans across.

I keep my brass cleaned and uncleaned, boolits lubed and just cast, recovered range lead and loaded rounds all in CB cans. There they are kept clean and ready when needed for further processing or shooting.

I just got some (3) 40 MM Grenade ammo cans from Midway on sale. Eight bucks apiece (did I mention I was cheap?) and they will be used for long term storage for molds and Dillon tooheads and dies and such when not actually being used for reloading. I am tired of having to spend so much time trying to locate stuff when I need it.

Molly
09-03-2008, 07:45 PM
Here's one you guys might want to bookmark: It's an industrial site, but it looks like they have the equipment and expertese to handle bad jobs. Take a look.
Molly

www.brokentap.com/

mister gizmo
11-19-2008, 05:47 PM
Pliers - I never knew I needed these until I started replacing front cross-pinned sights ... parallel faced pliers. Great for a no-mar job. www.contenti.com is a good place to start. Most of their tools are made for the jewelry industry.

Lubrication, part A - Precision or needle oilers.

Lubrication, part B - When I brought my very expensive shotgun to the factory for a tune-up and such, I watched with amazement as the tech lubricated all the metal-to-metal contact parts (and choke tube threads) with STP, dispensed from a small plastic veterinarian syringe. STP, blue plastic bottle, inexpensive, and the choke tubes don't seize anymore.

gizmo

Owens
12-28-2008, 10:21 PM
What a great thread! Had to read it all. Saw that someone mentioned the use of 'engine break-in lube' a few pages back, and it reminded me of camshaft lube. This is an assembly lube with a 'tacky' feature to it. It also has moly-disulfide and/or phosphorus added for a bit more lubricity until the parts settle in to each other. I do believe that would have a few applications in the gunny's world.

Rico1950
04-07-2009, 10:32 PM
Hello all, hope this is the appropriate thread.
Great deal @ Enco now. Pin gage set .251-.500" +.0000 -.0002" 250pc set on sale $59.49.
Use Free shipping promo code: WEBPA9 and you only pay for the pin gage set.
Great for measuring cylinder throats, checking for bore constrictions etc.

MT Gianni
05-17-2009, 12:04 AM
When using the STP as 44 man directs as a lube for so many uses in shooting I use a plastic oil can. I bought the NAPA brand. Take the cap off and leave the foil as is, then make one small hole 1/8" or less. You get plenty of lube with out making a mess.
Uses are: cylinder base pins, Turrets on press's think Lee, hinge pins, slides and many others. I don't get it near a trigger but a small hole works well.

89diesel
05-18-2009, 01:45 AM
File handles-Use 4" foam paint roller refills. They have a plastic core that grips the tang perfectly, no slip-grip for oily hands and at a couple bucks for 3, makes them fairly disposable.

Big Dave
09-03-2009, 08:59 PM
Hate Dremel tools. Can't think how many of the cheap shoddy junks I have burned out over 30 odd years in tool rooms. Fortunatly the company was always buying them not me.If you use one a lot, grit your teeth and spring for an industrial Du-More, They last forever and have a lot more torque. For jobs where delicasy is not an issue a Roto-Zip from Lowes or home Depot is a world beater. Be sure to get all three collets. 1/8, 1/4, and 5/32.
Files, when fileing gummy material like copper and aluminum, a quick stroke across a stick of chalk every few strokes will keep the file from loading up and being dang near impossible to clean.
Spot annealing for a screw hole use an 80 to 100 watt soldering iron and apply a drop of solder to location and hold tip of iron in solder drop for a minute or two. 700 degrees will usually pull the hardness down to a workable level.

jbunny
10-10-2009, 04:42 PM
hilti gun nails and fasteners. i keep lots of these on hand for making fireing pins,
little punches and other things. they are tough but not brittle. a file will just barely
work on them. another trick is grade 5 bolts has just the right amount or carbon
in them to make chisles and center punches. grind ,forge shape ect and heat the
just the very tip red and dunk in water. no annealing needed.
jb

SantaFe66
10-20-2009, 10:04 PM
For storing brass, boolits, bead/oxide blasting media, anything I need to store in my dusty garage..........I use those containers that Nonni's Biscotti come in at Sam's Club or Costco. After you peel the label off, they're clear, tough, plastic with screw-on tops. I've saved a bunch, since I'm addicted to the biscotti, and use them all over the house and garage.

Garbo
12-02-2009, 05:58 PM
if your hammer heads come loose (wooden shaft) or maybe mould handles it maybe cos they have dried out, soak them in a bucket of water overnight wel it works for me (just dry of the water from the moulds before use or you might get a nasty supprise)

jbunny
12-20-2009, 02:19 PM
for the remington and martini and some models of the norinco pistols
that use the flat springs and need 2 fingers to pull the trigger, i wasp waist
the springs. this is a pic of a martini trigger spring. just make sure that u
polish the grind and file marks completely off. finnish sanding lenghtwise
with 320 grit . u can change the angle of spring contacon the trigger by
very carefuly fileing a differant angle on the base of the spring. in the bottom
right of the pic is the trigger. notice the radius notch below the trigger spring shelf.
thats for the trigger overtravel adjust screw as can be seen in the bottom left part
of the pic.
jb

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q273/MOUICH/100_0347.jpg

Electron Don
02-11-2010, 04:31 PM
I usually ask my dentist for any dental picks and instruments that he is taking out of service. Excellent steel and a variety of points. I orginally got them to use when work with fish fossils but find them useful everywhere.

dudel
02-15-2010, 04:02 PM
I'd like to see this thread keep growing with great ideas.

Here's one that works for me. I was always looking for a clean surface to mix Epoxy or JB Weld. I would tear a scrap of cardboard, but it wasn't always handy.

Now I use the lid from a plastic container (butter, cool whip, etc). When the epoxy's dry, I flex the lid and it pops off. The lid is ready for another use. The lip keeps the stuff from spreading off the table (like it woulld with the cardboard).

The container makes a good place to store tubes of the stuff as well.

deltaenterprizes
02-15-2010, 04:05 PM
I like that, thanks!

82nd airborne
04-22-2010, 01:35 PM
shop tip, i buy the ruber floor matts for gyms at wall mart. 100sq ft. for 20 bucks. i then put some on the floor in front of my lathe. this helps my back substantially. then i covered my gunsmithing table so that guns donot get marred by the wood surface. the matts are about 1/2" thick and fit together like giant puzzle pieces.

SPRINGFIELDM141972
04-22-2010, 05:44 PM
I like to use elevated wooden slats to stand on in front of the lathe. Kind of like a wooden pallet is constructed but with 3/4" spacing between the boards. This allows for an accumulation of chips on the floor and you aren't standing or getting hung up in them. You do have to lift them up to sweep the floor but it sure is nice not to have to walk through the chips to get to the lathe.

Regards,
Everett

Four Fingers of Death
04-22-2010, 06:19 PM
shop tip, i buy the ruber floor matts for gyms at wall mart. 100sq ft. for 20 bucks. i then put some on the floor in front of my lathe. this helps my back substantially. then i covered my gunsmithing table so that guns donot get marred by the wood surface. the matts are about 1/2" thick and fit together like giant puzzle pieces.

These are pretty good afield as well, in front of the tent/camper/caravan (I think you guys call them trailers, here we refer to the box trailers we tow behind our cars and 4wds, etc to clean up and gather firewood, etc as trailers).

I also have them in front of the loading bench and pistol safe (which is mounted on the floor and is a hands and knees job).

I think I will go with the wooden slats when I finally get my lathe installed. I think the machine chips, etc would cut the mats to ribbons and you would also be walking them everywhere.

They are a boon everywhere else though.

WallyM3
05-03-2010, 08:17 PM
For mixing epoxy or any two-part thing: plastic ice cube trays. When a compartment gets full, twist and out it pops.

If not, get another. They're cheap.

Franklin Zeman
05-10-2010, 12:55 AM
If you park the empty propane cylinder in your ice cube maker for a while, you can get more in it when you reload from the large tank.

David2011
06-03-2010, 12:30 AM
A thought or 2-

Never, ever, ever throw out any electrical appliance before doing a couple things.

2- Never throw a drill away without at least trying to get the chuck off it. Again, you'll need it someday.

That chuck you saved makes a great addition to a chuck wrench. I put an old keyless chuck on the handle of my drill press chuch wrench as a large diameter handle cover. It's much easier on the hands to get it good and tight. A drill bit salesman once told me to always tighten your chuck at all three holes. It's amazing how much better they tighten if you do. A little lube on the moving parts of a chuck helps tighten and prevents galling over the years.

David

johnlaw484
06-06-2010, 02:50 AM
Keep you sons away from your good gun screw drivers. They make terrible pry bars anyway.
I have lost count how many they have ruined or lost over the years.
Then there is the 16oz Craftsman ripping hammer that was left in a cottonwood for three years by the oldest???? Right, SpringfieldM141972?

johnlaw484
06-21-2010, 03:08 AM
I like to use elevated wooden slats to stand on in front of the lathe. Kind of like a wooden pallet is constructed but with 3/4" spacing between the boards. This allows for an accumulation of chips on the floor and you aren't standing or getting hung up in them. You do have to lift them up to sweep the floor but it sure is nice not to have to walk through the chips to get to the lathe.

Regards,
Everett

Sweep the darn floor, Dude.

deltaenterprizes
06-21-2010, 07:48 PM
The pallet also lessens the fatigue of standing in front of the lathe.

ricksplace
07-07-2010, 09:31 PM
Hockey pucks. Drill a few holes in them, and a "V" and they make great bases for driving out pins without marring metal surfaces.

deltaenterprizes
07-08-2010, 06:25 PM
Hockey pucks. Drill a few holes in them, and a "V" and they make great bases for driving out pins without marring metal surfaces.

We don't have them down south, I have been looking for them!

PatMarlin
07-09-2010, 12:22 AM
Never seen one in my life here out west.

Where's Don Rickles when you need him?...:mrgreen:

Four Fingers of Death
07-09-2010, 08:00 AM
Keep you sons away from your good gun screw drivers. They make terrible pry bars anyway.
I have lost count how many they have ruined or lost over the years.
Then there is the 16oz Craftsman ripping hammer that was left in a cottonwood for three years by the oldest???? Right, SpringfieldM141972?

I really like good quality knives in the kitchen, but since the boys came along (35 yrs ago) I haven't had a knife that didn't have the tip broken off from trying to pry the lids off cans, etc. I gave up going crook about it, didn't do any good and was just making me mad. I now have a Chinese wife and I bought her two cleavers, one thin and sharp and one thick for chopping. I pretty much prefer those now (and go and try and break them if you can!).

Did i mention the beautiful Bone handled Boker flding skinner that was my pride and joy? Hit it in the long grass wiith the lawn mower one day, sliced through the side of my Army sock and embedded itself in the tree. Of course it was as rusty as all get out the time, it had been lying in the grass for awhile I suppose, that'll teach me to be slack with the mowing. I don't know what happened to it, I think it went looking for the custom made sambar handled drop point skinner that disappeared around that time.

PatMarlin
07-09-2010, 11:06 AM
That Chinese wife sounds good Mick. I would like to trade mine in about now- one that's done with menopause ...:roll:

scrapcan
07-09-2010, 11:23 AM
Pat and Mick,

Is that trade your wife in a shop tip that one should keep posted on the shop wall? I think Iwill keep mine for a while longer, but the menopause thing is an interestign time for the man to endure I too am finding out.

PatMarlin
07-09-2010, 11:44 AM
I've been into it coming on 4 years now. It's like living with a Jeckle and Hyde transformation that comes on about 3 times a day. I wish it was simple as a shop tip ...:mrgreen: ...:roll:

bigdog454
07-09-2010, 12:41 PM
Got a gun for my wife!

Best trade I ever made.

deltaenterprizes
07-09-2010, 12:58 PM
It is "mentalpause" not menopause! Mine is going through it too.

PatMarlin
07-09-2010, 01:02 PM
I ask the question...

What did man do to deserve such a thing?

Storydude
07-09-2010, 01:53 PM
I ask the question...

What did man do to deserve such a thing?

All the things we did when we were 17-22 LOL

scrapcan
07-09-2010, 02:16 PM
Well I know what you guys are talking about. My wife is a few years older than I am and I am into about year 2 of her personal summers and other interesting new happenings. I have been lucky though as she has yet to unloose the things others have spoken about.

And as far as the things we did as men during our 17-22 years, I am pretty sure the things i did were not even on par with causing this kind of havoc in a mens lives. Some of you guys must have been really bad to have caused this on man kind.

Back to the shop tips as we need to stay out of the way and the shop is a good place to be!

PatMarlin
07-09-2010, 05:14 PM
All the things we did when we were 17-22 LOL

LOL

I would have to widen the range of that discription considerably. Tack about 3 years behind and 10 years ahead.. :mrgreen:

When you shed it in that light, I feel much better ..:mrgreen:

KCSO
07-10-2010, 01:00 AM
Working with my brother in law one day and he says let me use your knife. I toos him my Smith and Wesson custom folder (circa 1975) and next thing I know he's scraping an engine block with it! I ask why he didn't ask for the block scraper, he says, well your knife is sharper! I got my knife back and it looked like a cross cut saw.

Bret4207
07-10-2010, 09:11 AM
Oh yeah, menopause, The Fun Family Game Everyone Gets To Suffer Through! Good lord, she was kinda skittish before, but now........wow.

RayinNH
07-10-2010, 03:01 PM
When working in the shop on metal /gun related projects, caliper/verniers make excellent tweezers for pulling metal slivers. They close down to nothing unlike almost all tweezers on the market.

Metal banding, the kind heavy items are strapped down to pallets with, are good for keeping parallels apart in the milling or drill press vice. A piece 5"-6" long bent in the middle into a v and inserted between the parallels forces them against the vice jaws, keeping them put when brushing chips off of the tops of the parallels. Put the crotch of the v against one parallel and the two legs against the other side..Ray

dudel
11-25-2010, 08:40 AM
Oh yeah, menopause, The Fun Family Game Everyone Gets To Suffer Through! Good lord, she was kinda skittish before, but now........wow.

Global warming is really caused by all those baby boomers having hot flashes.

We were able to cut the heat WAY back at our house during those years.

PatMarlin
11-25-2010, 01:05 PM
My wife is still going nuts. We talked about divorce for the first time after 20 years and had a real fun weekend of fighting awhile back, then Mrs. Jekyll comes back like nothing ever happened... :roll:

ricksplace
08-29-2011, 08:29 PM
That's why it's called MENopause. It's the men who suffer.

blackbike
09-24-2011, 03:56 AM
Here`s ya a little tip. I hate 3 piece cleaning rods, allways bend at the joint. So I go to get a one peice brass rod,$40. bucks! for a 5/16 rod! Ain`no way i`m paying that for one.I just to cheap. So I spy my cuting torch rig in the corner, with a short peice of brazing laying there, BINGO. I go to the welding supply and get 5/16, 1/4,3/8 brazing rods for a few $. cut them for lenth for 22 rifle, 5/16, 30cal 1/4, 44,45 cal,3/8. The cut offs make knock out rods, brass punchs, and the list goes on. Add a brass knob from hardware store , on one end and fashtion jag on the other and your go to go. hope this helps. blackbike

Casting Timmy
09-29-2011, 07:21 PM
When using machinery with a lot of backlash and play approach holes from the same direction when doing a drill pattern. If you keep moving the table left for the next hole and go to far, move the table back enough that the final approach to the hole is still moving the table left.

Convential milling will also have the advantage of putting the pressure against the leadscrew nut the same direction that it's already being applied to move the table into the cutter. Climb milling will suck the table into the cutter, so a table with a lot of backlash can break or overload your cutter. This same problem can be seen when drilling, especially into brass. The drill bit cutting edge can be slightly dulled or sometimes lock the handle and use the knee to drill through the material if you don;t want to dull the drill bit.

The same principal can be used on your lathe by runnign your compound all the way in, this way the tool bit can't get sucked into the metal and cause you problems.

Check your inserts often to make sure they're tight. Over tightened or loose screws on the inserts will lead to broken inserts, and then it will be broken tool holders and screws if not corrected.

When milling plastic, use an air nozzle to keep the end mill cool and the chips out of the way. It will keep material build up and melting from happening.

When turning a extremely small diameter long part on a lathe, cut to final depth in one pass. This keeps the tool pressure going towards the chuck where the part is thicker.

jodum
11-13-2011, 01:07 AM
I hate looking for small parts that roll off the work bench. I bought a roll of the adhesive backed magnetic tape used on the back of ice box calendars and trinkets. I applied this stcky backed magnetic tape along the front edge of my work bench. Now, any small metal parts that roll off the bench are caught by this magnetic tape. Beats the heck out of crawling around on the floor looking for a part.

Reverend Recoil
11-13-2011, 11:58 PM
Never loan your pocket knife.

The litle spring inside of tire valve stems often fit gun and trigger assemblies.

Cheap rubber door mats make good bench top pads.

Concrete/masonry nails are made of tough high-strength steel. They can be ground and shapped into drift puches and screw drivers.

A 1/4" drill chuck fitted to bolt and wooden file handle makes a good pin vise.

deltaenterprizes
11-15-2011, 05:38 PM
That's why it's called MENopause. It's the men who suffer.

A gunsmith friend of mine that has now passed on called it " Mental pause"

Casting Timmy
09-01-2012, 08:52 PM
If Loctite won;t hold for you there is a Permatex product called Teflon Thread Sealer. THey actually have a couple teflon thread sealers, but its the High Performance Thread Sealer Part NUmber 56521.

My two warnings are it only dries in the absence of air, so it's kind of like antisieze and jumps all over the place. You have it on your hands, cloths, and everywhere else if you don't watch it. The second warning is it does not care about oil on the threads and will lock that screw or bolt in place like it was welded.

When I worked at Permatex we had to regularly work on the steam pipes, we find out quickly how hard this would lock the pipe joints together. So we tried putting this onto the threads right after cutting them with lots of cutting fluid. We thought the oil woudl reduce the holding power, but it never would. So use it carefully as it will hold!!

The product was packaged at another plant, and my boss said the hopper had to be constintly turned and filled. If the product level got too deep in the hopper the lack of oxygen woudl lock the machine up solid. This is called an antiarobic, it will only cure in the absence of air.

Four Fingers of Death
09-01-2012, 08:56 PM
Sounds like amazing stuff! How do you get it apart if you have to? Gas axe? HaHa!

We call the sort of stuff that works in the absence of oxygen, anerobic.

Some products on the market are plumb incredible. Sounds like a job for plastic gloves.

TAMU74
09-02-2012, 05:37 AM
Today's engine break-in oil is different than in the past. The government has placed new limits on the zinc additive (ZDP) that motor oil can contain and the lack of it in the new oil in a new engine can lead to premature wear on metal surfaces that have not yet established a wear pattern. On a reciently rebuilt motor, not using the break-in oil three lobes on the camshaft were wiped out in less than 30 minutes of running. Even with using the moly cam lube during assembly. Just a few words of advice from a guy that had to buy a second cam and set of lifters and 5 quarts of break-in oil.

Casting Timmy
09-02-2012, 09:12 PM
No heat to break it, just a lot of effort. You'll start to wonder if you're going to break something or loosen the part first at times.

You can buy a zinc additive to put in your oil. I think it's sad what stupidity our gov does in trying to make the world a better/ cleaner place. They will screw up 99% of something so the last 1% isn't doing something bad to the enviroment.

Four Fingers of Death
09-02-2012, 10:42 PM
I can sort of understand the concept of tryng to cut down zinc in normal oil, but run-in oil should be exempt. I never buy new or rebuilt engines (hopefully), so I should scrape by, lol. My Nissan 4.2Ltr diesel has 222,000kms/ 133,000 miles and I figure it should be good for 500,00kms / 300,000 miles at least and I'm 64, so by the time it is getting a bit ordinary, I will be in my 70s and not upto driving such a big assed truck, lol. Should work out fine! Thats a river of oil changes by then though.

xs hedspace
11-21-2012, 11:18 AM
My favorite bunch of tools is the assorted diamond dremel grinding bits that Harbor freight sells. These things cut ANYTHING. You can sharpen carbide saw blades with them, grind out broken taps(slowly), crown .22-.243 barrels with the cone shaped one, drill holes thru flat springs, etc. Those magnetic rubber strips from the craft stores---glue to a piece of thick leather for no mar vise jaws. BTW, you can replace the rechargable batteries in the Dremel pack with AA LI-ion size from the drug store, way cheaper. Battery type Dremel+diamond bit=great chainsaw sharpener. Fits the pocket, good for 3 sharpenings per charge.

Four Fingers of Death
11-22-2012, 02:48 AM
My favorite bunch of tools is the assorted diamond dremel grinding bits that Harbor freight sells. These things cut ANYTHING. You can sharpen carbide saw blades with them, grind out broken taps(slowly), crown .22-.243 barrels with the cone shaped one, drill holes thru flat springs, etc. Those magnetic rubber strips from the craft stores---glue to a piece of thick leather for no mar vise jaws. BTW, you can replace the rechargable batteries in the Dremel pack with AA LI-ion size from the drug store, way cheaper. Battery type Dremel+diamond bit=great chainsaw sharpener. Fits the pocket, good for 3 sharpenings per charge.

Is that a real Dremel you are using or a Chinee Boy? I have an old Dremel, great bit of kit. I have always been a bit leery of cheap Dremel bits and grinder wheels. You are referring to the metal bits aren't you? We don't have HF here, but the humongus hardware chain should have an equivalent. Must give them a try.

Bulldogger
11-22-2012, 10:45 AM
I like this one!
BDGR

I hate looking for small parts that roll off the work bench. I bought a roll of the adhesive backed magnetic tape used on the back of ice box calendars and trinkets. I applied this stcky backed magnetic tape along the front edge of my work bench. Now, any small metal parts that roll off the bench are caught by this magnetic tape. Beats the heck out of crawling around on the floor looking for a part.

Chicken Thief
11-24-2012, 01:02 PM
if your hammer heads come loose (wooden shaft) or maybe mould handles it maybe cos they have dried out, soak them in a bucket of water overnight wel it works for me (just dry of the water from the moulds before use or you might get a nasty supprise)
Use undiluted engine antifreeze (glycol), it wont evaporate again!

Four Fingers of Death
11-25-2012, 05:45 AM
I saw an interesting gizmo on sale cheap down at the close out and tool shop, it was a wristband with a magnet. You could put your spare drill bit, screws, etc. Better than holding them in your mouth, lol.

philthephlier
01-06-2013, 05:06 PM
Reamer for the crane on K frame S&W revolvers.

Buy the Lee Case trimming cutter if you don't already have one and the case trimmer pilot for .303 British cases. This pilot is a perfect fit inside the crane of K frame s&w revolvers. You will have to cut the pilot to provide the ability for the pilot to let the cutter reach the face of the crane for trimming, truing for correcting cylinder end shake issues. It works beautifully and both pieces cost about $10, not $30 or more that gunsmith supply houses get.

Skirmisher
08-17-2013, 02:16 PM
Free things that come in handy courtesy of Depot/Lowes:

Flooring dept: hardwood flooring samples 3 1/2" X 5", makes a great pounding block, glue a couple together and drill for loading blocks

Cabinet dept: counter laminate samples, great for mixing epoxy or JB on. The big ones 3" X 5" make excellent windshield scrappers, keep a couple in the side pocket, better than chewing up a credit card when you or friends get caught short.

xs hedspace
09-04-2014, 01:15 PM
That Dremel tool I have with the battery pack that can be replaced with LI-ion AAs, is marked Dremel Mighty-mite USA, but in fine print, Assembled in Mexico. Another 100 jobs gone! BTW, you have to solder in little jumper wires across two pairs of AA cells-look at the factory wiring when you pry the battery pack open.

Four Fingers of Death
09-04-2014, 03:03 PM
The Laminate samples make a neat tool for wood turners, they can be used to cut a narrow groove to improve grip on tool handles that they are making.

Talking about jobs going overseas; my wife is a retired Chinese surgeon who met me here when she was spending some time with her brother who lives here. One of our early outings was to Taronga Park Zoo in Sydney. As we were leaving, they steered us thought the gift shop naturally and we had a browse. She picked up a little toy kangaroo and a toy koala and a toy cockatoo. I asked her what she was doing and she said gifts for her daughter, son in law and sister. I took one off her and turned it over. Sure enough, "Made in China" was on the tag. They were quietly returned to the shelf.

rogerstg
09-10-2014, 02:12 PM
Wow, so many good ideas.

Here's mine. Post-It notes make great disposable surfaces for mixing small amounts of epoxy. The coating prevents bleed through of the epoxy. This is actually a common fly tyer's trick.

1_Ogre
09-13-2014, 04:44 PM
Lots of good tips there. One I use is I like Chinese take out. Every time I get another project one of the plastic take out bowls or trays with lids make excellent storage boxes for projects. They have clear lids and easy to see into and usually large enough to hold all the parts for a 1911. Just FYI

Zouave 58
12-06-2014, 11:50 AM
We use Castrol Super Clean water based cleaner around the shop as a general purpose cleaner/degreaser and it works great! The stuff is an inhibited caustic so don't use it on aluminum. It has a flash rust arrester so you have time to oil the part after cleaning. We use it in the bluing tanks as a hot soak and use it in a spray bottle as a cleaner for the bed ways on our lathe and mill. Great for cleaning muzzleloaders and it dilutes very well so its cheap to use.

fast ronnie
12-06-2014, 01:24 PM
I have a machine shop, and stand in front of lathes and mills a lot. Cold concrete floors are not very comfortable. they are hard on knees, etc. An old sprint car tire makes a really good mat. Cut the sides off just at the edge, then cut across the tread. I've had these in my shop for 20 years and have yet to replace one. If you happen to drop a cutting tool or a newly finished part, the mat usually prevents damage. They are relatively easy to shake the chips off, too. Just pick up and tap the edges on the floor and most chips fall off.

lead-1
12-11-2014, 06:17 AM
fast ronnie, I should've thought of that before I tossed out a couple old Hoosiers from my Dad's late model days.
That right side rear off a sprint should cover a fair size piece of floor.

wquiles
12-16-2014, 07:49 PM
Wow, so many good ideas.

Here's mine. Post-It notes make great disposable surfaces for mixing small amounts of epoxy. The coating prevents bleed through of the epoxy. This is actually a common fly tyer's trick.

Good one. I use blue painters tape to mix the epoxy. Once I am done, I roll it up and throw it on the trash - nothing to clean :)

Here I am mixing thermal epoxy for LED work:
http://m3coupe.com/LED_Projects/DeWalt/20140802_181626.jpg

I also use the blue tape (two layers) to hold items in my lathe to prevent marking the surface:
http://m3coupe.com/LED_Projects/DeWalt/20140802_115046.jpg

Will

Caladin
02-06-2015, 11:53 PM
Bamboo skiewers from the grocerie store work great for lots of things. Mixing/applying bedding compound, slide small springs on them so they don't escape,line up those PITA parts in trigger groups,cleaning those hard to reach back teeth......

Gaseous Maximus
04-20-2016, 01:12 AM
Steel cartridge cases make good cutters for punching holes in gaskets and such.

Graybeard96
04-20-2016, 01:33 PM
The other day I decidet my several decades old 45 Lyman Lubesizer was due for complete dissembling and cleaning. To avoid damaging/marking the Grease Tube which I wanted to unscrew for cleaning, I wound a bit of electrician Tape around it then fastened a Hose clamp on top of it and now had a perfect gripping surface for my Chanel Pliers.

Cheers

fast ronnie
04-20-2016, 02:37 PM
On my barrel vise, I use inserts made to a couple of thou under barrel size, then wrap one or two wraps of copy paper around the barrel to prevent scuffing of the bluing. Make the split insert tight enough that the paper doesn't quite fit until the bolts on the vise are torqued down. I haven't had one slip yet.

Quickdraw4u
04-20-2016, 03:06 PM
Get a set of diamond small files and regular steel small files at Harbor Freight Tool or Northern Tool for about $5 a set. I use mine all the time when trying to make something fit where it doesn't want to go. When it dulls or you break the tip off, throw it out and get a new set. Extremely handy!

Isaac
04-21-2016, 12:22 PM
Get a set of diamond small files and regular steel small files at Harbor Freight Tool or Northern Tool for about $5 a set. I use mine all the time when trying to make something fit where it doesn't want to go. When it dulls or you break the tip off, throw it out and get a new set. Extremely handy!

Second this. I use them to clean damaged bolt heads and to re-cut slots in worn bolts. Several different shapes are included in each set.

Have to be picky when it comes to Harbor Freight. But some things they have work well.

Isaac

Four Fingers of Death
04-22-2016, 10:21 AM
The other day I decidet my several decades old 45 Lyman Lubesizer was due for complete dissembling and cleaning. To avoid damaging/marking the Grease Tube which I wanted to unscrew for cleaning, I wound a bit of electrician Tape around it then fastened a Hose clamp on top of it and now had a perfect gripping surface for my Chanel Pliers.

Cheers

Treat yourself to a set of Vice Grip pliers. Once you learn to drive them, they are magic and just don't slip. I have used strips of copper shim under the jaws to protect things.

Try and get some original Vice Grips, they are now owned by Irwin and I have no experience of the new ones, but I can't imagine things didn't suffer when some big corporation takes over an iconic brand.

wquiles
04-22-2016, 01:43 PM
Second this. I use them to clean damaged bolt heads and to re-cut slots in worn bolts. Several different shapes are included in each set.

Have to be picky when it comes to Harbor Freight. But some things they have work well.

Isaac

Same here. Extremely useful around the shop :-o

Steve Steven
07-09-2016, 10:56 PM
early on in this thread was a discussion on tapping. One problem I have had in installing Bomar sights in hard 45ACP slides was breaking 6-48 taps in the slides, happened way to often. I found dental burrs, the 1/16" dia diamond coated long pointed ones in a DREMEL, could cut out the flutes of the tap, enabling the tap removal in pieces. Then punch the remains of the tap out into the firing pin hole.

Later, I found the best way to install Bomars was to drill out the area for the screw hole with a 1/8" carbide drill, then follow up with a 3/16" end mill (in the milling machine) deep enough for the screw plus a bit. Then make a tight fitting slug up in the lathe, drive it into the hole, and drill and tap it 6-48. A side benefit is the slug cuts into the dovetail for the sight, cutting the slug to allow the sight to fit will lock the slug unto place!

Steve

Traffer
08-04-2016, 08:33 PM
I have a box with probably 200 various diamond tool bits from eBay/China. What costs $5 in the hardware store here is about 20 cents from China and often better quality. I have made punches, dies and tools of all types with these things. These diamond coated bits even go through high speed steel easily.

Traffer
08-04-2016, 08:39 PM
I used 3/16" steel rod for my 22 cleaning rod. Drilled and tapped the end to 8-32 and coated it with come clear heat shrink tubing.

Traffer
08-04-2016, 08:43 PM
Being a computer tech, I take laptops apart and they invariably have different types of very small screws. I use an ice cube tray and start putting groups of screws in one opening then the next. That way I can remember where which screw goes where. Have seen computers destroyed by putting a couple of mm too long of a screw in and shorting out on the other side.

Traffer
08-04-2016, 08:59 PM
I use a 10 jewelers loupe on a regular basis. I am a PC technician and had to send pictures of a cracked computer chip to a guy about 6 years ago. I put the loupe over the end of my digital camera and presto. 10x mag on my picture. I have been using that technique and recently I purchased a loupe off eBay (China) for like $1.86 delivered. It was made so that the bezel could unsnap and the lens could come out. After cutting down and gluing it over the lens on my old digital camera, I can snap the lens in and out now. The electronic focus works through the lens giving nice clear photos. You can go to some of my other posts and see some of the pictures that I have posted taken with it. So there you have it. I have a micro camera mod for $1.86.

Traffer
08-04-2016, 09:06 PM
A trick I learned earlier this year is amazing. I had stuck bleeder nipples on my car. I have broken the off before and did not want to have to deal with again. So I scoured the internet for ideas. One was heat up the bolt or screw that is stuck with a propane torch. Doesn't have to be super hot, maybe 500 Fahrenheit or less probably. Then stick a candle right on the joint where it is stuck. Supposedly the capillary action will draw the wax in and it will make the thing able to be unscrewed. I have to say WOW does that work! If you ever had a very tight bolt and thought you were near the breaking point and were starting to sweat....never got to that point. It unscrewed like nothing was wrong. Did 3 nipples like that and a couple of bolts since.

daleraby
11-11-2017, 10:42 PM
For Remington 1100/870 shooters who remove the trigger group and have the shell latch fall out:

The latch is under tension and there isn't room to hold it in place when you attempt to put the trigger group back in. Conventionally, your recourse is to either take it to a gunsmith, or buy a thirty dollar staking tool, then try to stake it yourself.

I hit on a less dangerous/costly solution this evening while working on my 1100LW 20 gauge. You just degrease everything with any one of a number of products (BC Gun Scrubber works great) then put the latch in place loosely with the front trigger pin in place to keep the holes in register. Press the latch into its groove and add a drop of cyanocrylate adhesive (Super Glue), the liquid stuff, not the gel. Capillary action will suck the adhesive into the gap. Hold it for a few seconds until after the glue sets up and then install your trigger group as usual.

Most probably the glue will let go long before the next time you remove the trigger group, but once the trigger group and trigger pins are in place, the latch will stay in place just fine. The residue from the glue is easy to remove and the process can be repeated as often as necessary.

Two cautionary statements; don't use too much glue... just a drop, unless you want to see how the action works with the parts glued together, and if you use bare hands, you run the risk of leaving some of your skin behind after the glue sets up.

JBinMN
11-12-2017, 12:05 AM
What a Great topic! I had not run across it before now. Thanks to daleraby for posting here today!
:)

I have some tips to share, so I will post them sometime soon. After just reading this whole topic, I need to let my eyes rest.
;)

john.k
11-12-2017, 12:28 AM
Traffers tip of the hot wax goes back to steam engine days,when beeswax was always used,and as said,works like magic.I expect most here have some beeswax.

firebyprolong
11-16-2017, 12:01 PM
One thing I've found very helpful in both my reloading room and shop are file cabinets. They are cheap sturdy and best of all mouse proof if you keep them closed. The tall 4 and 5 drawer ones are great for parts bins and tool storage. The 2 drawer ones are great for under the bench. The best ones however are the card file cabinets if you can find them. The drawers are 7 inches deep and built HEAVY and die boxes will fit in there on edge two across. My brother calls all mine "white trash tool boxes". I continue to point out that my 5$ file cabinets hold just as much stuff as his 5k snap-on monster box.

JWalker
01-01-2018, 03:05 PM
If it hasn't already been mentioned. Those silica desiccant packages that come in shoeboxes and electronics and whatnot have a few uses. Instead of throwing them away I keep a pill bottle full of them and throw them in my sealed tool boxes and fishing boxes and containers where I want to keep the moisture down. Don't really know how much they actually help or how long they last, but it doesn't hurt. Theres a few other uses for them and a way to re-dry and reuse them I read about in an old gunsmithing book, but I'd have to look it up again.

alamogunr
01-01-2018, 03:46 PM
If I had to guess the prescription drug industry uses more of those desiccant pacs than anyone else. Our son is a pharmacist and he saved me at least a gallon container full. many of them are the small perforated plastic cylinders. I put one or two in every die box and iron mold container and change them out about every 6 mos.

I bet your neighborhood druggist would save some for you. Not sure how Walgreens or CVS would react to such a request.

trebleplink
09-24-2020, 11:02 AM
I bought one of these for my wife to start seedlings indoors. Then I bought one for my bench. As your eyes age, lots of light helps. And this has a wide light spectrum which really shows colors. It's a VERY BRIGHT artificial sun.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08342W6NW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Four Fingers of Death
09-24-2020, 10:42 PM
I bought one of these for my wife to start seedlings indoors. Then I bought one for my bench. As your eyes age, lots of light helps. And this has a wide light spectrum which really shows colors. It's a VERY BRIGHT artificial sun.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08342W6NW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That would work well, but you'd want to stop using it an hour or so before bedtime, the blue light would interfere with your sleep.

country gent
09-26-2020, 12:11 PM
One necessary Item in any shop whether metal wood or other is a emergency kit mounted out in the open where its easy to get to. Dosnt need to be a lot but it needs to be there. Bandages some ointment a roll of gauze coban tape a couple sanitary napkins in sealed wrappers ( these are sterile and great to cover a larger cut very absorbent). tweezers scissors peroxide or other means of cleaning a cut. Cuts nicks and burns are common and you need a means of caring for them when they happen

Four Fingers of Death
09-28-2020, 03:53 AM
One necessary Item in any shop whether metal wood or other is a emergency kit mounted out in the open where its easy to get to. Dosnt need to be a lot but it needs to be there. Bandages some ointment a roll of gauze coban tape a couple sanitary napkins in sealed wrappers ( these are sterile and great to cover a larger cut very absorbent). tweezers scissors peroxide or other means of cleaning a cut. Cuts nicks and burns are common and you need a means of caring for them when they happen

I thought that was was the bag of shop rags was for! HaHa!

Graybeard96
02-24-2021, 01:41 PM

Another very important Item is one or several working Fire Extinguishers. In all those years Years I never needed mine, but better to have them and not need them. Also don't forget to take them once in awhile out of their Cradle, tip the over 180 degree and wait a second or two till you feel the "plump" meaning the material inside loosened up and is now again in prime condition ready to be deployed.

Cheers

archangel2003
09-01-2023, 11:01 AM
My favorite bucket is a cat litter bucket.
They are square so stack neatly next to each other, stack on on top of the other perfectly, for storage when empty you can stack a hundred in a small space and are right around 5 gallons in size so are a manageable weight loaded. If I ever have to move again, the shop will be easy to pack up.

LAGS
09-01-2023, 05:11 PM
I use spare Cat Boxes for working on my guns.
Mostly pistol work.
In fact.
I am tearing down a pistol this week and will soak all the parts in Vinegar mixed with Hydrogen Peroxide to strip off the existing finishes.
I am having a friend Parkerize the pistol since it is an old military revolver.
Back when I did my own Parkerizing , I use to use the Cat Boxes to do the finishing.
Plenty of room to work in , plus very stable and not easy to tip over.
Plus,
Like you said.
Very easy to stack and store for other upcoming projects.

country gent
09-01-2023, 08:13 PM
I keep a box of cat litter in the shop for spills and leaks. Sprinkle some on a spill and let set sweep it up a fay or two later. Used to fill old socks with it for around machines when needed

LAGS
09-01-2023, 09:55 PM
I use cat litter to soak the oil off old mil surp stocks.
I use a black trash bag.
Put the stock in the bag and cover it with lots of cat litter.
Then set it out in the sun for a couple of days.
The heat from the sun makes the oil sweat out and the cat litter absorbed it.
The cat litter is cheaper than the oil absorption powder you get at auto parts stores.
And the cat litter works almost as good as the oil absorbing powder.