PDA

View Full Version : Young woman doe hunting on British huntig show

Thumbcocker
03-19-2016, 10:02 AM
https://youtu.be/O2fvRXy8x20

jmort
03-19-2016, 10:23 AM
That was interesting. Thanks for putting up the link. If only the world were more fully populated with young ladies like her, we would be so much better off.

Boolit_Head
03-19-2016, 10:34 AM
Isn't it cute, her daddy is carrying her rifle and setting it up for her...

jmort
03-19-2016, 10:54 AM
^^^ That is not her dad genius. They flashed a picture of him in the video. Clueless post. It appears her dad invented a bipod rest if you watch the video.

Boolit_Head
03-19-2016, 10:56 AM
^^^^ Missed the point clueless. No self respecting Texas girl would allow a man to diminish her experience by carrying her rifle.

jmort
03-19-2016, 11:15 AM
It is not her dad. If you are a woman then your opinion would count more in this regard and I will edit my post to merely reflect that she and the guide are reinforcing gender stereotypes. I see guides do all sorts of things for men, and I guess then that they are effete metrosexual hunters. I don't want to rewatch the video, but I believe it is his gun and her dad's company's "shooting sticks," which would make even more sense.
BTW, if one wants to make a point, it makes sense to make a fact based point.

jmort
03-19-2016, 01:38 PM
I got to thinking about this some more, and the chauvinistic guide did not help her gut and field dress the doe. She gutted and dressed that deer like the pro she is, and as the video state she butchers animals/goats in South America. No, that woman is a stud. Again, I wish the world had far more just like her.

Blammer
03-19-2016, 04:29 PM
I wish we could use "moderators" like they do! Common place they are.

Blammer
03-19-2016, 04:35 PM
interesting but still it's a sport for the "nobles" over there.

Edward
03-19-2016, 05:19 PM
Guess most of us are noble too right :bigsmyl2:

Blammer
03-19-2016, 05:38 PM
well the reason the Colonies revolted was..... :) :D

the ONLY aspect I am somewhat jealous of is their use of 'moderators', "mufflers" aka here known as suppressors.

it's considered "rude" to shoot with out one. :)

Thumbcocker
03-19-2016, 08:35 PM
Maybe the fact that the guy carrying the rifle was the game manager and would be selecting the deer she would shoot had something to do with it, I don't know. I am just glad that there are still people hunting in the UK. BTW the same channel has a video of triplet girls hunting.

ammohead
03-21-2016, 11:03 AM
Different countries have different customs. Just because we believe that our customs are the best doesn't mean we should diminish the customs of others. Just enjoy ours more while they still exist.

N4AUD
03-21-2016, 11:41 AM
Very impressive young woman, the world needs more like her. As far as the negativity, well, some people think blowing out someone else's candle makes theirs burn brighter. It doesn't.

HB0708
03-21-2016, 11:47 AM
^^^^ Missed the point clueless. No self respecting Texas girl would allow a man to diminish her experience by carrying her rifle.

Well I guess it's a good thing she's not a Texas girl. :takinWiz:

I did see her shoot a good group with a rifle that isn't hers, state she'd rather stalk hunt than sit in a stand, and gut her own deer. So I hope she can gather up some of her self respect from having a guide do what is customary for guides to do in that part of the world. :roll:

Ural Driver
03-21-2016, 12:44 PM
If I understood the commentary, it was not her rifle....it is a Blaser R8 Professional Success, but was referred to simply as "an R8 estate rifle". What with the screwy gun laws of the UK, I take that to mean it is possibly assigned to and owned by "the estate" where they are hunting.....or it could belong to his company and is only used for this task....either way he is not carrying "her" rifle. This man is game manager and a professional hunter http://www.viscountsporting.com/ and as such has the responsibility to provide the client with a memorable hunting experience as well as ensuring the safety of all..(I do believe that he had the bolt open as they were evaluating her target at the range......safety first!)....again, this is a game management service (professional cullers) that has incorporated a side business (hunting/guide service) into the otherwise mundane task of keeping the various herd populations in check...... I don't know their pricing schedule but I would bet it ain't cheap. And giving the customer an added bit of "service" ain't necessarily a bad thing......(remember the old safari movies where the "great hunter" always had a gun bearer?). And, since that government has seen fit to all but disarm their citizens, it would not surprise me one bit to see this as a normal practice when going afield with what is most often a rookie shooter. Kudos to the girl as she seems to have her act together on all fronts. 8-)

njc110381
06-12-2016, 09:33 AM
It's true that our gun laws are, well, interesting...

The "estate rifle" would be owned by the guy carrying it. Legally she can use it under his direct supervision. She could have carried it herself legally as long as he was with her, but isn't it polite to carry a ladies rifle? It's just like opening a door for them and letting them go first. It's not a hard and fast rule, but why not? Quite often the guide will carry the rifle here until a shot presents itself. You're paying the guy a couple of hundred quid for a basic stalk without rights to the meat at the end of it - so let him carry it! You don't buy a dog then bark yourself...

I think she did very well. There aren't many women who shoot over here. Probably the same percentage as in the US, except here barely anyone shoots, men or women!

Geezer in NH
06-12-2016, 11:41 AM
Gunbearer was always popular in the UK countries in Africa.

6pt-sika
06-12-2016, 02:59 PM
Girl seems okay !

After having used suppressors a bit I can't say I care for them . After having shot Blasers some I cannot say I care for them either . As of yet I've not hunted/stalked in the UK and I can't say I like all their practices . However I have a distinct desire to pursue Sika in England , Scotland , Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland . So if I wanna do it one day I suppose I need to learn to deal with their rules . I stil am not using a suppressor .

rking22
06-12-2016, 06:14 PM
"paying the guy a couple of hundred quid for a basic stalk without rights to the meat at the end of it -"

I feel that is a very foreign concept, at least in my circle ! If I'm paying to shoot it and it's good to eat.... I plan to eat it :)

tdoyka
06-12-2016, 06:18 PM
"paying the guy a couple of hundred quid for a basic stalk without rights to the meat at the end of it -"

I feel that is a very foreign concept, at least in my circle ! If I'm paying to shoot it and it's good to eat.... I plan to eat it :)

me too!!!

kiwi
06-12-2016, 07:22 PM
Girl seems okay !

After having used suppressors a bit I can't say I care for them . After having shot Blasers some I cannot say I care for them either . As of yet I've not hunted/stalked in the UK and I can't say I like all their practices . However I have a distinct desire to pursue Sika in England , Scotland , Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland . So if I wanna do it one day I suppose I need to learn to deal with their rules . I stil am not using a suppressor .

6pt you should check out the price of hunting Sika in New Zealand, There is public land in the central North Island around Taupo and there are professional guides,
no license fees, open season all year, visitors firearms license is issued online,Visitor's firearms licence and import permits | New Zealand Police (https://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwjwvp2fzqPNAhWGlJQKHW8CDvcQFggaMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.police.govt.nz%2Fadvice%2Ffir earms%2Fvisitors-firearms-licence-and-import-permits&usg=AFQjCNEMBCADXVCpMJXqmzcfjbXTOi9dFw&sig2=OL0G-RdFNlmixURVGt3s7g&bvm=bv.124272578,d.dGo)
cost $25 and is good for a year,
There is no bag limit, If you check the NZ shooting forums you may find some one to take you hunting for a case of beer ( standard payment method down here)

6pt-sika
06-12-2016, 09:21 PM
6pt you should check out the price of hunting Sika in New Zealand, There is public land in the central North Island around Taupo and there are professional guides,
no license fees, open season all year, visitors firearms license is issued online,Visitor's firearms licence and import permits | New Zealand Police (https://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwjwvp2fzqPNAhWGlJQKHW8CDvcQFggaMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.police.govt.nz%2Fadvice%2Ffir earms%2Fvisitors-firearms-licence-and-import-permits&usg=AFQjCNEMBCADXVCpMJXqmzcfjbXTOi9dFw&sig2=OL0G-RdFNlmixURVGt3s7g&bvm=bv.124272578,d.dGo)
cost $25 and is good for a year,
There is no bag limit, If you check the NZ shooting forums you may find some one to take you hunting for a case of beer ( standard payment method down here). Kiwi , NZ is on my list and has been for about twenty years now . It's kinda my long term huge dream to get respectable 8 point Sika from the four areas in the UK and the Republic as well as a nice Sika from NZ and quite possibly Japan .

Geezer in NH
06-13-2016, 06:45 PM
What's not to like about suppressors??

Also in the UK the ghillie or guide may not trust the sport [male or female] to carry the rifle for some conceived safety reason.

6pt-sika
06-13-2016, 09:17 PM
What's not to like about suppressors??

Also in the UK the ghillie or guide may not trust the sport [male or female] to carry the rifle for some conceived safety reason.
What's wrong with a can you ask , in a single word BALANCE . I personally detest that counter weight hanging off the front . And as to whether they trust etc me to carry my own rifle we're gonna get that straight before this guy ever signs on the dotted line .

robg
06-14-2016, 05:08 PM
Most hunting over here is not estate type of the video that's the expensive end rest of us plebs have some friends or join a syndicate and shoot over that land in a less formal manner .mods are good to stop anti hunters complaining about noise etc disturbs wildlife less ,but spoil the handling of a rifle.jmho

njc110381
06-23-2016, 05:09 PM
Most of my rifles are moderated. What you have to consider is that our ground is so much more populated - if I let off my rifle at 2am where I shoot I'd have the police turn up.

When a good friend of mine came over from Canada to hunt he was shocked that we were sat in someone's back yard waiting for the deer to arrive. That's nothing new here - most, if not all of my shooting is done within half a mile of the nearest house. I've shot deer using someone's garden table as a bench!

6pt-sika
06-23-2016, 06:03 PM
Most hunting over here is not estate type of the video that's the expensive end rest of us plebs have some friends or join a syndicate and shoot over that land in a less formal manner .mods are good to stop anti hunters complaining about noise etc disturbs wildlife less ,but spoil the handling of a rifle.jmho Every website I've looked at for the out of country hunter in the UK and the Republic has been on estates or so it appeared . So then suppressed or not should be at my discretion since I'm paying the tariff ����

njc110381
06-24-2016, 02:15 AM
It depends who you book with, but I'm sure that if you didn't want to use one most guides would be fine with that. It's perhaps not as formal as you fear. If you wanted to carry your own rifle that would be fine, and if you wanted to keep the meat then as long as you cover the money that the estate would make from it's sale to a game dealer then that would probably also be ok. We have some strange laws on the sale of venison, so I'm not sure where the guide stands as he's sold you the right to shoot the animal. I'm pretty sure I've seen adverts saying that the meat can be purchased.

Some shooting folk here have a strange idea of what's fun. Some folk just go for the shot. They're not interested in the rest of the process or taking the meat, just as pheasant shooters book a day, shoot 100 birds and maybe just go home with a brace. I don't get it - I kill to eat or protect crops and livestock. If it's edible I want it, otherwise I'm not really interested in killing it.

We have folk here who feel just the same as you. When I go out shooting with my Sauer drilling a moderator just isn't an option. I've never had a complaint when using it. I just choose where it's used carefully, only shoot it during the day and stay in the woods or valleys where the shot sound is absorbed better.

Your best option if you can find it is befriending a UK hunter on the forums. Me and my Canadian mate met online, and I flew to Canada to stay with him and his family for a month. We went hunting, shopping, all the things you'd do on a really expensive holiday. All it cost me was the flights, spending money and the permits. Then he's been here to visit me, hunted here, visited some of our old Cotswold stone villages and churches, Stonehenge... Didn't even need the hunting permit because I was his guide and he used my rifle. It's the way things should work. Life doesn't have to be expensive - for some of us that sort of trip just wouldn't be possible commercially.

6pt-sika
06-24-2016, 01:57 PM
It depends who you book with, but I'm sure that if you didn't want to use one most guides would be fine with that. It's perhaps not as formal as you fear. If you wanted to carry your own rifle that would be fine, and if you wanted to keep the meat then as long as you cover the money that the estate would make from it's sale to a game dealer then that would probably also be ok. We have some strange laws on the sale of venison, so I'm not sure where the guide stands as he's sold you the right to shoot the animal. I'm pretty sure I've seen adverts saying that the meat can be purchased.

Some shooting folk here have a strange idea of what's fun. Some folk just go for the shot. They're not interested in the rest of the process or taking the meat, just as pheasant shooters book a day, shoot 100 birds and maybe just go home with a brace. I don't get it - I kill to eat or protect crops and livestock. If it's edible I want it, otherwise I'm not really interested in killing it.

We have folk here who feel just the same as you. When I go out shooting with my Sauer drilling a moderator just isn't an option. I've never had a complaint when using it. I just choose where it's used carefully, only shoot it during the day and stay in the woods or valleys where the shot sound is absorbed better.

Your best option if you can find it is befriending a UK hunter on the forums. Me and my Canadian mate met online, and I flew to Canada to stay with him and his family for a month. We went hunting, shopping, all the things you'd do on a really expensive holiday. All it cost me was the flights, spending money and the permits. Then he's been here to visit me, hunted here, visited some of our old Cotswold stone villages and churches, Stonehenge... Didn't even need the hunting permit because I was his guide and he used my rifle. It's the way things should work. Life doesn't have to be expensive - for some of us that sort of trip just wouldn't be possible commercially.

I think for my own needs or desires using my own rifle to kill the animal or animals is important and anything I'd bring across the pond wouldn't be threaded for a can . Seems to me someone told me once most of the guys there required you to carry the gun in a case or I think you guys call it a slip .

As to keeping the meat , most I talked with about that also said you could purchase a portion or the whole animal for an added fee of course . I suspect eating the backstraps out of one Sika and perhaps a Roe would be all I needed to satisfy myself while there . I would however want to keep the capes from any I wanted to mount as well as the antlers .

And as you say I also expect those that deal with American's are quite used to our attitudes or presumed attitudes about the way things are done here versus there .

Be kinda cool to go over to Scotland for the beginning of the driven Red Grouse season with a matched pair of Parker 12 gauge guns !!!!!

Geezer in NH
06-30-2016, 06:00 PM
Be kinda cool to go over to Scotland for the beginning of the driven Red Grouse season with a matched pair of Parker 12 gauge guns !!!!!

You would be treated like a peasant/commoner and most would not speak to you. :kidding:

6pt-sika
06-30-2016, 11:51 PM
You would be treated like a peasant/commoner and most would not speak to you. :kidding: I dare say if I've paid big money to be in on a driven shoot on opening day they'd most likely be courteouse . And if they were rude well I'd just live up to the reputation of American tourists .