PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 1895 45-70, anybody ever jam a cartridge on the carrier?

Victor N TN
03-18-2016, 11:05 PM
While at the range with a friend today, I let him shoot my Marlin1895 Guide Gun, 45-70. Or should I say was GOING to let him shoot it. When he had 4 in the mag tube he went to cycle the lever to chamber a round and I thought I heard a different sound when he worked the lever. Now I have a live round extending about 1/2" onto the carrier. The lever will not move in either direction. The lever is jammed at straight down in the farther most forward position. It looks like the carrier has jammed the cartridge (partially onto the carrier, and the carrier started up with it.) I took the end tube off the mag tube and removed the other live rounds and reassembled the tube. But after trying to move the cartridge and having no luck, I returned it to the case as best as I could and after he finished shooting we came home.

Anyone know what happened and how to fix the situation?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Victor

Scharfschuetze
03-19-2016, 01:01 AM
Unscrew the screw holding the lever in place, remove the lever and then pull the bolt out the rear of the action.

Hopefully that will give you enough room to clear the jam.

Walter Laich
03-19-2016, 09:26 AM
If that doesn't work you'll probably going to have to tear down the receiver--not hard but keep track of all the pieces and screws. Check U-tube or google Marlin disassembly. I do this each time I shoot mine but I'm OCD.

stubert
03-19-2016, 09:49 AM
Mine did that last year, I took out the lever and was able to clear it. The reason it happened is because some of the action screws are loose. Don't forget the one in the bottom.

aephilli822
03-19-2016, 05:58 PM
http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/jams-all-kinds/24519-different-way-fix-marlin-jam.html

Not unheard of problem

Cowboy_Dan
03-20-2016, 07:56 AM
Happens on my dad's 1894 .44 Magnum sometimes too. Clears up easily by removing the lever. Culprit is usually an attempt to double feed shorter rounds.

Victor N TN
03-20-2016, 04:32 PM
Thanks guys. I got it fixed. Removing the lever and the endcap on the mag tube, I ran a cleaning rod down the mag tube and lightly thumped the end of the cartridge and everything fell loose. Then everything came apart fine.

I want to thank everyone for your help. I knew it had to be an easy fix. I just didn't know what it was. Too much time in the hospital lately. I don't care what the doctors say. Every time they put you to sleep, you loose just a little bit of what you had before.

Thanks again,
Victor

W.R.Buchanan
03-20-2016, 06:04 PM
What you experienced was the "Marlin Jam"

You got thru just fine. This is usually caused by a point instead of a radius on the lifter cam on the lever.

If you look at the lever, it has a cam on it just above the picot hole. That cam has an Arc and then transitions to a strait section.

The point at which it transitions needs about a.030 radius on it.

I would suggest going to www.leverguns.com (http://www.leverguns.com) and reading the section under Marlin Resources that talks about the Marlin Jam.

It is easy to fix and will only take a few minutes. Instructions are very clear and easy to follow. Should be done to all 1894, 1895 and 336 actions.

The lever will eventually wear this radius onto the cam however in doing so it also wears the bottom of the lifter which will eventually make it unserviceable. best to just radius the cam and be done with it.

A small amount of grease on that portion of the lever and the bottom of the lifter makes it run smoother.

Randy

Victor N TN
03-20-2016, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

Victor

What you experienced was the "Marlin Jam"

You got thru just fine. This is usually caused by a point instead of a radius on the lifter cam on the lever.

If you look at the lever, it has a cam on it just above the picot hole. That cam has an Arc and then transitions to a strait section.

The point at which it transitions needs about a.030 radius on it.

I would suggest going to www.leverguns.com (http://www.leverguns.com) and reading the section under Marlin Resources that talks about the Marlin Jam.

It is easy to fix and will only take a few minutes. Instructions are very clear and easy to follow. Should be done to all 1894, 1895 and 336 actions.

The lever will eventually wear this radius onto the cam however in doing so it also wears the bottom of the lifter which will eventually make it unserviceable. best to just radius the cam and be done with it.

A small amount of grease on that portion of the lever and the bottom of the lifter makes it run smoother.

Randy

ghh3rd
03-20-2016, 09:00 PM
My friend told me that could happen with my Marlin Guide Gun, and demonstrated it on his Marlin 444. I'm glad to hear that is a solution, which I'm going to read about now. Seems that Marlin would have addressed the issue themselves. Thanks for the tip.

Edit: found the link http://marauder.homestead.com/files/marlin94fix.html

Scharfschuetze
03-20-2016, 09:03 PM
Victor,

Glad you're back up to speed with your Marlin. I hope your recovery from the hospital is as successful.

Victor N TN
03-20-2016, 09:46 PM
Just for grins, my rifle is a Big Loop guide gun, 2014 model and currently has 42 rounds through it.

454PB
03-20-2016, 09:50 PM
It happened to me once.....cost me an Elk.