PDA

View Full Version : powder for 45 colt,45-70,30-30,300 bo

jetsfan-24
03-18-2016, 09:40 PM
hey guys I need one or two good powders for these 4 cal,s they will all b shooting cast bollits I,m pretty new to reloading thanks

aspangler
03-18-2016, 09:44 PM
Red Dot, Unique, 2400, Accurate #9. Many others. Lyman #4 is your friend.

jetsfan-24
03-18-2016, 09:59 PM
I have a lot of 2400 and unique how fast can I push them with these 2 powders ?

Alchemist
03-18-2016, 10:11 PM
I don't want to sound mean spirited, but the way your posts read suggests that you don't own or don't read any loading manuals. Lyman's 49th edition would be a real good place to start.

bangerjim
03-19-2016, 01:18 AM
Yes buy a manual. For cast boolits, Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook #4 is the bible!!!!! Buy one!!!!! And get a reprint of #3 eventually! All the load data you will ever need is in the book. Lyman #49 has a bunch of worthless (to me at least) FMJ and com-ammo info.

And I use ETR7 for all my loads these days. It's avaiable on the net....do a search. Very cost-effective clean forgiving powder. Data is similar to TiteGroup.

Advice: do not use ANY load data obtained from any forum unless you can verify it with loading manuals!!!!!!

NC_JEFF
03-19-2016, 02:21 AM
Excellent advice, Hogdon, Alliant, WW and IMR loads are available free at the powder manufacturers website but a few good manuals are an invaluable resource to you.

drklynoon
03-19-2016, 02:34 AM
Jetsfan,
I think I understand where you are coming from. However, reloading can be quite the art form and there are a lot of factors that go into a decision such as powder choice. If I were to try and find a suitable powder for both a 30-30 and a 45-70 I would probably start with IMR 3031. Keep in mind that this powder is not suited for your 45 LC and I doubt it would be useful for your 300BA. I personally like Trail Boss for my 45 LC. I don't have a 300BA so I can't give you my opinion. If you need anything please let me know. It can seem like a jungle when you are beginning reloading but that is part of the adventure.

waco
03-20-2016, 12:56 PM
2400, and IMR3031

Moonie
03-29-2016, 12:09 PM
If your 300BO is an AR it may require much different powders than the others

GunsAndHarley
03-29-2016, 04:20 PM
IMR3031 and a reload manual. They fit very well togeter

JohnH
03-29-2016, 09:15 PM
Not gettin' down on ya, you've asked this on a cast bullet chat site. Ask this same question on a site where the folk shoot primarily jacketed bullets and you'll ikely get very different answers. I encouraged my neighbor at every opportunity to get some reloading manuals. "I don't have time to read" was invariably his answer. I've moved. Now when he talks he complains that he can't find the data I used to give him or the knowledge of loading for different cartridges. Most powder manufacturers have websites with data. Most of of that data is max load with very little other info. There is no better teacher than that of shooting up 3 or 4 pounds of several different powders in a cartridge with different bullet weights and weighing the results you get from your firearm. It is after all a law unto itself. I've had very good results with Red Dot in 45 Colt. I've had equally good results with Tite Group and with Unique, Universal Clays and Power Pistol. 2400 can even be used in this cartridge but I doubt loads in the 1100-1200 fps range are what you want for everyday shooting. But then only you can tell. Don't take our word for what are good powders. Use that as a starting point, but explore and widen your own horizons. I meet more reloaders who all say a similar thing to me these days, "I've tried things I never would have tried because of the shortage and learned more than I ever would have otherwise". Get some manuals. Get some powders. Experiment. Learn. Grow. Enjoy.