PDA

View Full Version : A great big "Thank you" to all you who have posted about PIDs

Chris C
03-18-2016, 04:23 PM
I received my first PID a few days ago. Finally got to do some casting today. Before reading about PID controllers here on the forum, I'd never heard of them. I haven't been casting long.........in fact I'm just getting started and have been having a heck of a time obtaining any real consistency. Well, let me tell you, I just cast 125 of the most beautiful .357 Keith SWC bullets I've ever seen, and better than any bullets I've ever cast. Took me a while to find the right temp to run the lead, but when I hit it, it was like nirvana! I'm waiting on a BallistiScale and will weigh them to check their consistency. Talk about a happy camper!!!!! Thanks to all of you, and thanks to Mark Read for making the PID. Yah-hoo! :guntootsmiley:

Friar_Tuck
03-18-2016, 09:17 PM
Amazing aren't they? I would not be without one now!

Chris C
03-18-2016, 11:10 PM
Unbelievable, for sure. I agree with you.

retread
03-19-2016, 12:23 AM
I have two pots with a PID on each. The only way I would go back is the loss of electrical power, then it might be a wood fire and a thermometer! Hope that never happens for long. Glad to hear you made the plunge, you will never regret it.

Walter Laich
03-19-2016, 09:29 AM
Same here as to learning about PIDs. I have one on casting pot and one on powder coating oven. They really add to enjoyment of casting bullets

Chris C
03-19-2016, 02:00 PM
I went to the casting table this morning. Set the PID and put my mold in the oven. An hour later, I sat down and started casting perfect bullets. Cast 250 and only threw 5 back in the pot.......and they were because I didn't make a large enough puddle on the sprue plate. Never been able to just sit down and start casting "keepers" before. Love my PID. And can't thank the guys on this site for all I've learned about casting in such a short time. Swore I'd never set up to cast and here I am putting bullet stock on the shelves. WOW!!!!!

Smoke4320
03-19-2016, 02:46 PM
PID's and powdercoating have changed shooting lead bullets for many people ..
as said above it just adds to the enjoyment when you can cast good, consistent bullets from the start.

Knowing exactly when your lead is up to temp. after adding ingots when it returns to that temp, and not fighting wrinkles for what seems to be unknown reasons
Powdercoating solves the leading issues for many people. After shooting cleanup is simple. long term storage is a plus