PDA

View Full Version : Question for those who use Lee 00 buckshot mold

mojomandan
03-18-2016, 07:34 AM
Hey guys,

I have the Lee 00 buckshot mold that can drop eighteen pellets per pour. I have tried casting with "pure" lead (from melted birdshot), WW lead, and Lyman #2 alloy.

I have been unsuccessful in getting good fillout while using "pure" lead or WW lead, no matter how hot I get the melt or mold.

The only way I can get good fillout (~85-90% of all cavities filled completely per pour) is by using Lyman #2.

I'd prefer to save my Lyman #2 alloy for other casts though.

What alloy are you successful with when using the Lee 00 buck mold, and at what temp?

Thanks!

Moonie
03-19-2016, 12:09 AM
I use straight clip on WW metal, however I pressure pour. Ie. place the mold cavity directly against the spout, once full I pull it away to form a spru.

CANUCK
03-19-2016, 01:22 AM
I never had much success with ladle pouring in this mould.
I switched up to a bottom pour lead melter and had instant success.

Boolit_Head
03-19-2016, 01:43 AM
Melted bird shot is probably not pure lead it's more in the range of wheel weights. I used to use wheel weight exclusively because I could get them. I did find they cast a bit better when a little more tin was added.

longbow
03-19-2016, 02:08 AM
I haven't tried pure lead, only range scrap which runs about wheelweight alloy. I cast fast and hot and is all works well. Pure lead is tougher to get fillout. Try adding some tin (bar solder or whatever), that should help.

Longbow

Ambrose
03-19-2016, 09:41 AM
stick on wheel weight run very hot (850f as i recall) . It took a few pours to get up to temperature, but once I did and go a feel for how to pour so that it filled well, it worked fairly well for me.

Michael J. Spangler
03-19-2016, 10:58 PM
I use straight clip on WW metal, however I pressure pour. Ie. place the mold cavity directly against the spout, once full I pull it away to form a spru.

I'm with moonie on this one. I just cast up a ton tonight with a brand new mould.

Running it hot and using a sweetened 50/50 COWW and pure was giving me some fits.

Pressure pour and the lower the mould to leave a little puddle on each cavity gave 100% success.

Can't wait to shoot these suckers. Now I need load data.

pacomdiver
03-20-2016, 05:04 PM
ive cast mine using everything from pure soft to lymans #2 and always had good fill out with my bottom pours

mojomandan
03-20-2016, 06:32 PM
Ok guys, some good suggestions here...I'll give some a try.

As always, thank you!!

Screwbolts
03-21-2016, 10:14 AM
For casting 00 in my HM2 mold I run it hot and fast to get perfect fill out. Get that mold HOT.

Ken

Moonie
03-29-2016, 01:14 PM
I'm with moonie on this one. I just cast up a ton tonight with a brand new mould.

Running it hot and using a sweetened 50/50 COWW and pure was giving me some fits.

Pressure pour and the lower the mould to leave a little puddle on each cavity gave 100% success.

Can't wait to shoot these suckers. Now I need load data.

My favorite load:

2 3/4" Cheddite Hull Ched209 BlueDot 30.5gr FS12 gas seal Teflon wrapper Lead grains 773 #00 3x5=15 Buckshot Pressure 9400 1060fps

It's a thumper, on both ends...

SniderBoomer
03-30-2016, 04:12 AM
I use this mold a lot.

Get it hot on a hotplate before you start to cast, hot enough so the sprue plate will sizzle if you touch it with a wet tip. And make the alloy good a hot too (I pour pure lead at 800F).

Bob in St. Louis
04-06-2016, 05:12 PM
Get it hot on a hotplate before you start to cast, hot enough so the sprue plate will sizzle if you touch it with a wet tip.
This comment saved me a bunch of time. I have yet to cast yet, so there's no telling how much time you just saved me!