PDA

View Full Version : Contender Carbine 16" 30-30 and cast?

Elbow
03-17-2016, 11:46 PM
Old style TC Contender Carbine, 16" barrel, stainless, 3030. Are these known as a good cast bullet shooter? I currently have great accuracy with the Lee c309 170f and 22 grains of IMR4198 with gc in my Winchester 94. Just wondering how the Contender shoots ith cast. Thanks, Craig

McFred
03-18-2016, 12:08 PM
I believe the consensus is that Contenders are usually very compatible with cast. My 14" 35 Rem worked happily with the first cast load I tried, though to be fair it was paper patched:

http://s28.postimg.org/hh4g45ast/DSCN1779s.jpg

5 rounds 12"x12" plate at ~85 yards, off shooting sticks with crosswind.

MT Gianni
03-18-2016, 12:30 PM
My 14" does well as a pistol. I would love to put a rifle stock on it but am not in a hurry to buy the tax stamp.

Earlwb
03-18-2016, 05:41 PM
One thing is to determine the rifling twist rate. The twist helps determine what size or weight bullets would work best. For example, usually a slow twist means the smaller weight bullets work well, whereas a fast twist rate to work better with heavier bullets. Then of course a twist rate in between would be a compromise between the small and heavy bullets.

You could always get the rifle lower or action then you could put the rifle barrels on the rifle version. Humm, I wonder if the Feds would freak out over someone having both pistol and rifle versions of the TC guns or not.

leadman
03-19-2016, 02:06 AM
ATF published a letter in July 2011 addressing this issue. Now any receiver can be either a pistol or rifle. Just start with a bare frame and install the grip or stock and work from there. Is you have a rifle stock on it to have to have a barrel longer than 16". If you want to switch to a pistol grip remove the barrel and stock, then install the pistol grip and barrel.
This letter also addresses the imported pistol that is inserted in a rifle stock with a barrel installed in it. No problems going from rifle to pistol or the other way.
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/2011-4-pistols-configured-rifles-rifles-configured-pistols/download

Earlwb
03-19-2016, 10:04 AM
Thanks for that information. I appreciate it.