PDA

View Full Version : Taking the plunge on new NOE mold

lablover
03-17-2016, 09:57 PM
Just checked out the site and found one I wanted..
http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=41&products_id=523

Newbie question, why can I not find it in .452? Do I get the .453 and size to .452?

Also, what does PB mean?

Gonna stick with Aluminum to keep maint easy..Just read a few brass stories...YIKES

Thanks

Joe

rancher1913
03-17-2016, 10:03 PM
molds sometimes throw undersize so better to get big and size down. PB=plain base, no gas check

Mica_Hiebert
03-17-2016, 10:13 PM
size it down.

lablover
03-17-2016, 10:17 PM
Awesome, thanks

The more I look and read...Brass sure is pretty but I'm afraid my newbie casting experience will ruin it with too much tin or something...Alumn, seems to be a safe bet

Beagle333
03-17-2016, 10:19 PM
Use the right alloy at the right temp and a .453 mold will drop at .452 8-)
I'd plan on sizing it down though. It's easier.
Don't fret brass. It is wonderful stuff.
My first mold was a brass 4 banger NOE hollow pointer. Quite a learning curve, but it sure made wonderful boolits!

Wasalmonslayer
03-17-2016, 10:51 PM
I use aluminum more often than brass because it is a lot lighter.
Al's molds are top notch!!
I have the exact mold your looking at you will be really pleased with it in aluminum.

reddog81
03-17-2016, 11:56 PM
Most molds will require sizing. That's how most mold makers operate to prevent undersized bullets. I have one brass mold but prefer aluminium due to the cheaper cost and lighter weight.

Unless you're planning on using a gas check you want the plain base molds.

Dragonheart
03-18-2016, 09:00 AM
The choice is yours, but I own 7 NOE brass molds and may other steel and aluminum molds. My brass molds will last a lifetime and they give me the best bullets I have ever made. I have never had a problem with tinning.

gwpercle
03-18-2016, 05:52 PM
I got my first NOE , a 4 cavity aluminum and was surprised at how heavy it was. Al uses substantial blocks and thick steel sprue plates. I'm a ladle caster so hold the mould in my left hand, the 4 cavity aluminum wore my hand out (I'm 60 ) I don't think I could handle a brass mould. But I'm learning to rest it more and my fingers are working up some strength. Production with it is awesome but very tiring to the hand.
If you bottom pour , or you are young and strong this isn't an issue. I went with aluminum after reading a few posts and hearing of the "brass good but it is heavy" reviews .
My next one is going to be a 3 cavity aluminum. NOE's are sweet caster's , get them fully broke in and seasoned, then it's clear sailing !

rbuck351
03-18-2016, 07:30 PM
Pay attention to the instruction sheet that comes with your NOE mold. You might get lucky and have it pour good on the first heat cycle but if you use a hot plate and follow instructions life will be good. Run the mold and the lead a little on the hot side. Aluminum is fine and will last a lifetime if you treat it right.

GWM
03-20-2016, 10:27 AM
My next one is going to be a 3 cavity aluminum.

I too like the 3-cavity aluminum molds. To me it feels like the best compromise between volume and balance/weight. Unfortunately they are not that common.

Leadmelter
03-22-2016, 09:04 PM
Ditto on the instructions
Good casting on the 5th to 7th pour for me.
I have about 15 molds and they are first rate.
Leadmelter
MI

C. Latch
03-22-2016, 09:13 PM
NOE molds are top quality, but if I was a new-ish caster (after ~4 years, maybe I still am) I'd just get a Lee 6-cavity if all I wanted was a common design for the .45 ACP.

YMMV. You won't regret a NOE mold; you just don't have to spend that much to get a functional H&G 68 copy.

lablover
03-23-2016, 07:37 AM
Too late

NOE 4 banger on the way :)

Dragonheart
03-23-2016, 11:17 AM
lablover. You won't regret your purchase. One thing some don't take into consideration is the NOE molds have a excellent resale value if you decide casting is not for you, just look at Ebay or on this site and the NOE's go quickly. The best way to not like casting is starting out with a mold that drops poor quality bullets, a problem you won't have. If you just want a load to go bang then pretty much anything works, but if you intend to get the most out of casting, especially accuracy, you made the right decision.

rintinglen
03-23-2016, 12:04 PM
^What he said. NOE is first rate quality at mid-rate prices. I have at least 10 and all have been well made and have made good boolits.

GRUMPA
03-23-2016, 12:26 PM
The thing with NOE moulds is you'll notice a couple of things real quick. The first is after you cast a few and after the cool down period, that both mould halves are lined up about as perfect as they can be compared to mass produced dies. What size is on the drawing is going to be close or right on the money.

NOE moulds are all I use now, mass produced dies are cheaper, but so is the quality.

lablover
03-24-2016, 08:37 AM
USPS Tracking says my new Baby should be here TODAY!!! And a 3 day weekend in the make..Oh yea, someones gonna have fun!!!!

I hope it comes with instruction on how a newbie can't fug it up

Dragonheart
03-24-2016, 12:31 PM
Is the mold brass or aluminum?

lablover
03-24-2016, 05:44 PM
aluminum

I'm seasoning it as we speak..Getting it to 350 in my toaster over then cool..3 times.

I really need a hot plate bad

As much as I'd like to cast tonight I may wait till tomorrow so I can get a hot plate. From what I read makes all the difference in the world. I also should of got it drilled for a probe and bought a probe....

Hmmmm send it back or drill it myself?

Yodogsandman
03-24-2016, 06:14 PM
You really don't need a probe. The cord just gets in the way. Don't know how you can resist casting some up tonight, hot plate or not. The mold should be heated up enough from cold in about 10-15 casts to get good ones. A little trial and error on the hot plate setting will get you there, too. If you have a thermometer, try for about 375*-400*F on your mold.

lablover
03-24-2016, 07:12 PM
You really don't need a probe. The cord just gets in the way. Don't know how you can resist casting some up tonight, hot plate or not. The mold should be heated up enough from cold in about 10-15 casts to get good ones. A little trial and error on the hot plate setting will get you there, too. If you have a thermometer, try for about 375*-400*F on your mold.

No thermometer yet...Hopefully next week...Yea, I can't wait..Gonna cast a few in about 30 min or so :)

Dragonheart
03-24-2016, 07:19 PM
I don't think you need a probe. Just make sure the mold is clean. You can always bring it up to temp the old way, before the first guy ever thought of a hot plate, and that is sticking the bottom edge of the mold on the molten lead or just start casting and it will gradually come to temp. I would wait until you have the time because when you start seeing the bullets you won't want top quit.

Yodogsandman
03-24-2016, 07:42 PM
I have the same mold and as I remember, it started raining pretty boolits really fast. Emptied the Lee 4-20 pot in less than 2 hours casting. Think it's gonna be a late night!

lablover
03-25-2016, 10:02 AM
Held off till this morning to give it a try. Took a few dozen ttys to get her going but then like magic it just started casting great bullets....Wow, this little bugger can get heavy too. QUESTION...Is it my Alloy making the bullets come out as 214 gr as opposed to the 200 its supposed to be?

NOW, if I can just get what seems like crud out of my lead I would be happy!!! I swear I've smelted this stuff 2 different times and still has **** in it!

Wonder if its the knife I stole out of the drawer thats causing it..Chrome plated some kind of butter knife I scrape the sides of the pot with?

Dragonheart
03-25-2016, 10:55 AM
The NOE molds are tested with wheel weights, which is high in tin and antimony making the alloy lighter. I use range lead so all my bullets weigh more than the posted weight.

There are lots of posts of flux and everybody has an opinion, myself included. I have tried just about everything and my choice is Brownells Marvelux. It quickly fluxes the alloy bringing the contaminates to the top. It doesn't catch fire or give off a cloud of smoke. The contaminates skimmed off are very light indicating that the alloy is fluxed and you are not removing metal from the pot. Marvelux leaves my pot reasonably clean, but nothing eliminates the need for periodic pot and spout cleaning.

gwpercle
03-25-2016, 07:54 PM
I too like the 3-cavity aluminum molds. To me it feels like the best compromise between volume and balance/weight. Unfortunately they are not that common.

When I saw NOE had my favorite 38/357 mould ( old Lyman 358432 design ) in a 3 cavity aluminum mould 360-160-WC in stock and ready to go, I couldn't stop myself, out came the card and it was ordered ( I got a mould problem). For a ladle caster , it is absolutely the best !
Not too big , not too small it's just right! Casting with it puts a smile on my face and a song in my heart.
Gary