PDA

View Full Version : Benefits of Cast Boolits!

Hick
03-17-2016, 07:13 PM
I went to a small-town gun show this weekend. Fellow had a Winchester 94 he wanted to sell ($250). I looked old. Had a flat barrel band (way pre-64). But-- having been duly educated by all the posts and pictures I started looking closer. No set screw on the link on the bottom of the receiver. Link pin was threaded (post 64). Stock wasn't right, 4 different tapped holes on the left side of the receiver! The more I looked the more I realized that it might just be a bunch of unmatched parts. I passed - hope that was the right decision

castalott
03-17-2016, 09:00 PM
One normally gets what they pay for ( or a little less!). I am to the point I listen to my inner voice.....sometimes anyway....[smilie=p:

But I wouldn't have bought it unless I wanted a project or a donor rifle for a project......

Boerrancher
03-19-2016, 07:41 PM
Hick,

I think you made a good call. If you were buying a parts gun that is one thing but buying a mess for the sake of a potential good deal is not always the best choice.

Joe

TXGunNut
03-20-2016, 01:24 AM
Good job, if it doesn't look right or feel right walk away. Sounds like a "Frankenstein" gun or a deliberate fake, either one best left for someone else. A little odd is sometimes good, however. Awhile back I happened on an older 1873 that was unlike any I've ever seen, turns out I'll probably never see another like it again. Yes, it followed me home! I've since learned that it is a very unusual special order rifle.
If you're serious about older Winchesters you can still find George Madis' "The Winchester Book" on Amazon or other resellers. If I hadn't been reading that book at the time I would have likely passed on that 1873. Coincidentally I was reading the chapter on 1873's the night before. Renneberg has an awesome book on the 94 if you want to focus on them. Sometimes even the "experts" don't know what they have. ;-) A little time with some books written by the true scholars on the subject can save you some money and possibly help you recognize a rare find when you happen upon it.
Happy hunting!