PDA

View Full Version : skinner basic

Oklahoma Rebel
03-17-2016, 01:38 PM
well guys I finally got my 45-70 marlin 1895 sighted in with my new sight. I ordered the .500 front sight to be safe, boy I was in for some filing! It took about a box of ammo to get it sighted in, and especially for me brain and eyes get used to just focusing on the front sight, and ignoring the rear sight. But it is all set and good to go for my first hog hunt of the year on lake Heyburn! I love the sight and cant wait to try it on fur and tusks instead on paper!! Thanks to all who gave me input and advice earlier when I was sight shopping. im glad I didn't get the Williams, nothing aganst them at all, I am just happy with my decision. so you all have a good day! thanks
Travis

pietro
03-17-2016, 03:03 PM

I'm glad to hear your plan came together !

FWIW: The NEXT time you deal with a too-tall-to-zero front sight, there's a couple of options, other than filing through a box of ammo.

1) IIRC, both Skinner & XSSights can supply a very tall plastic front sight mockup that's a lot easier to cut down (once the mockup's zeroed, measure it's height & then order the correct height metal sight blade).

You can also make up your own cardboard sight blade to cut down/zero.

OR

2) Cover the rear face of the "too tall" metal front sight blade with yellow masking tape, then pencil (or Sharpie) horizontal lines across the tape until you get zeroed, then cut the sight height once.

:bigsmyl2:

Hick
03-17-2016, 07:00 PM
Glad it worked out. I've got Williams on one rifle and a Skinner on the other-- they're both great. The one thing I've discovered is that the apertures for both the Williams and the Skinner have the same threads, allowing me to tweak the sight picture on each with the same set.