PDA

View Full Version : Colt Bisley

mm1ut1
03-17-2016, 10:04 AM
I'm helping an older gent sell his collection. One item is a Colt Bisley. I'm trying to determine if the barrel is a replacement. There are no Bisley markings on the barrel, just the one line address seen in the attached photo. It has been cased the last 60+ years and belonged to the owners father who bought it in Texas during WW2 . Any info anyone can provide would be appreciated especially what it's worth. The owner has limited funds and I'm trying to get the most I can for him.
Also note the neat Winchester loading tool. Goes with the gun. Bisley is a 44/40 made in 1905.

rintinglen
03-17-2016, 11:58 AM
I am no expert, but every Bisley that I have seen had "Bisley Model" followed by the caliber on the barrel. Yours does not, however Colt was anything but consistent in those days, and it would have been no stretch for them to have put a frontier model barrel on a Bisley frame. Perhaps one of our more knowledgeable members would chime in.
My rough guess would be in the 2500 to 3500 dollar range, but again, I'm no expert--I was priced out of the market years and years ago.

9.3X62AL
03-17-2016, 12:07 PM
I have a Colt Bisley Model example of about this same vintage--1906 by its serial number. Mine is 4-3/4" barreled, in 32 WCF. It and most examples I have seen (which isn't a large number.....maybe 20 all told) are/were equipped with hard black rubber 2-piece stock sets.

Barrel markings on left side (if pointed downrange) are "(BISLEY MODEL)" centered over the barrel's length. "32 W.C.F." is imprinted between this centered roll-mark and the barrel/receiver junction, and is just slightly lower in line than the roll-mark.

Top surface of the barrel is roll-marked in the rearmost 1/3 of the barrel as follows--"COLT'S PT. F.A. MFG. Co." (line below)--"HARTFORD, CT. U.S.A."

I would consult one of the online gun auction sites for guidance on pricing for an example like this. Some folks enjoy the back-and-forth, banter, and bullsquat of gun dealing. I am NOT of that mindset, so I am not a reliable or amenable source for such info.

bedbugbilly
03-17-2016, 12:28 PM
My suggestion would be for you to post this over in the Colt Forum as well. There are many very knowledgeable Colt folks over thee who can probably answer your questions as well as far as barrel markings (or lack of) as well as value range.

http://www.coltforum.com/forums/forum.php

That's a nice Bisley regardless of if the barrel is or is not original to it and it is in a great caliber as well!

smkummer
03-20-2016, 01:45 PM
the 44-40 models I believe said frontier six shooter and (bisley model) on top of that. Your gun has been refinished. If it checks out for all 4 clicks and lock-up is good, I would say about $1500 because of the re-finish. If the barrel has been changed deduct another $200