PDA

View Full Version : Bottom pour to ladle

melloairman
03-16-2016, 10:42 PM
I have been using my bottom pouring Lee pots for over 9 years . The last two days I have been using my RCBS bottom pour ladle. I believe I like it better because I do not have to lean over to watch the pour . Which I have been doing to keep any dripping from splashing in my face . Pulled one of my 3 pots apart and removed the linkage and welded the spout closed . Should be easier to cast with out all that linkage in the way . I know a replacement pot is $17.00 . It would not be here tomorrow .Marvin

melloairman
04-01-2016, 10:35 PM
I have been ladle pouring long enough now to know I am enjoying casting more . I am getting better base fill out and fewer rejects now as well . I now have 2 pots with the linkage removed and the spout welded closed . I have been able to lower my pot temp 50 degrees as well with my unknown range lead mix .Marvin

country gent
04-01-2016, 11:18 PM
Depending on the bullets your pouring, bigger or longer bullets the ladle works well. I have 2 rcbs ladles and 1 lyman ladle I have opened the spouts up to ..210 dia with a drill to help increase the flow. I also polished these with a dremill tool and cupped wire brush with a fine lapping compound, helps stop sticking. I have a new rowel #1 size but havent tried it yet. I cast big heavy long bullets and these mods have added consistancy to my casting. I also added a stop collar on the shaft of my ladles. this provides a "hook" to catch the edge of the big pot I cast out of keeping the ladle from falling in to the wood handle. I get better results with the ladle also.

gwpercle
04-02-2016, 08:01 PM
I'm a ladler too. Tried the bottom pour route and just didn't care for it. I make more and better boolits with the lyman spouted ladle and pressure casting. You are not alone !
Gary

melloairman
04-02-2016, 10:22 PM
My ladle is a RCBS bottom pour and it works well for me . Might think about smoothing out around the spout . Most of my casting this week has been 47 grain .250 in a LBT mold . Marvin

carbine
04-03-2016, 09:47 AM
I have been ladle casting 500 gr minies with an RCBS ladle for 35 years. I drilled out the spout for more lead flow

kungfustyle
04-03-2016, 10:04 AM
Ladle for two, bottom pour for 4 or more. I agree you get better quality bullets with a two cavity and a ladle. However, when you get into a 240g+ 4 cavity mold its hard to beat a hot bottom pour pot if the spout isn't clogged.

melloairman
04-10-2016, 09:58 PM
For the last 3 days I have been able to lower the melt temp to 650-670 from 750-800 . Same range lead mix . Marvin

Don Fischer
04-11-2016, 10:43 AM
I've got an old Lyman pot with bottom pour. Never have got used to it so I only ladle pour.

GONRA
04-15-2016, 05:26 PM
GONRA's good olde "bottom pour" Potter electric pot has suited me Just Fine for 60 years.
23 Single Cavity Lyman and 4 Single Cavity Lee moulds.
Cannot imagine any need for ladles. Must be missing something......
(Actually DID purchase a Lee electric pot - no "bottom pour".
Reserved for melting PURE TIN for "tinning" electric wire leads.)

John Boy
04-15-2016, 05:51 PM
Pulled one of my 3 pots apart and removed the linkage and welded the spout closed Good Move!:cbpour:

melloairman
04-15-2016, 09:31 PM
GONRA's good olde "bottom pour" Potter electric pot has suited me Just Fine for 60 years.
23 Single Cavity Lyman and 4 Single Cavity Lee moulds.
Cannot imagine any need for ladles. Must be missing something......
(Actually DID purchase a Lee electric pot - no "bottom pour".
Reserved for melting PURE TIN for "tinning" electric wire leads.)
For the last 3 days I have been able to lower the melt temp to 650-670 from 750-800 . Same range lead mix . Marvin