PDA

View Full Version : Scotch Brite vs chore boy

Newcast
03-16-2016, 09:51 PM
Forgive me if this isn't the right place for this question.
I couldn't find chore boy so I picked up some Scotch Brite copper coated scrubbers to use to get the lead out of my barrel. Before I use any I wanted to get approval from those that know more than me, thanks guys.

DerekP Houston
03-16-2016, 09:55 PM
double check the packaging you want "pure copper" not "copper coated". Pure copper is barrel safe. I couldn't find any at my local stores either but the gas station had them for some reason.

flyingmonkey35
03-16-2016, 10:32 PM
Yes pure copper is better.

but you can use copper coated as it really really soft pot steel but try some on the out side of your barrel and see if it scratches it. if it dose.... don't use it.

its getting harder to find the pure copper chore boy.

dilly
03-16-2016, 10:35 PM
You can bring a magnet if you aren't sure.

Is there any reason you can't just tear apart some old broken electronic device and use its wiring? Seems like it would be even easier to wrap that around a brush.

jcren
03-16-2016, 10:38 PM
I find chore boy at seedy gas stations all over the place. Apparently a drug application. Look for a good sized gas station/convenience store in a small town and check the cleaning supplies.

DougGuy
03-16-2016, 11:14 PM
I found some Chore Boy clone at Dollar General or Dollar Tree, you have to look at the fine print and make sure it does NOT say copper coated or copper plated. Some hardware stores have bronze wool that can be used as well. I suppose a magnet will tell you if the core is steel when you are looking at a scrubber pad and can't figure out if it is solid copper or copper plated.

Newcast
03-16-2016, 11:46 PM
Thanks guys. I found some (chore boy) on amazon for 6 or 7 dollars, too much or about right on price?

DougGuy
03-17-2016, 12:01 AM
Ebay has it for $2 and $3 but then 1st class shipping is another $3 or $4 so you did okay if that is with shipping.

Ole Joe Clarke
03-17-2016, 08:50 PM
Found some Chore Boy pads today at Ace Hardware, pure copper says the label. I think they were $2.49 for two pads.
I bought 2 packs, a lifetime supply. :-)

floodgate
03-17-2016, 09:13 PM
Also useful for packing lightly into air intakes for refrigerators, freezers, etc. to keep mice from getting in and eating the wiring (suggested by a local appliance repairman who came and fixed ours. You can also buy it in bulk from Amazon.

Newcast
03-20-2016, 09:19 PM
Thanks guys. I did find a temporary solution though, I used a brush for a 12 gauge shotgun and it done great. Anyone else done this before?

David2011
03-21-2016, 02:42 PM
Most grades of ScotchBrite have abrasive embedded in them. I'm not familiar with the copper coated variety but have used the red, green and gray for years and would not put any of them in a barrel.

David

ghh3rd
03-21-2016, 05:27 PM
I have found that this stuff is fantastic! Proprietary alloy, sharp edges, strips lead from barrel quickly, but is safe on bluing. I always have a chunk in my cleaning box.

http://www.big45.com/

Guesser
03-22-2016, 11:10 AM
Ace Hardware and True Value Hardware carry the pure copper in my part of the world.

rwadley
03-22-2016, 11:29 AM
Walgreens does, too (at least they did a few years back).

Zaneiel
03-22-2016, 12:16 PM
I think most of us have an ACE within range. Very nice to know we can get them there. Thanks for the info :)

Lead Fred
03-22-2016, 01:57 PM
I had a very leaded model 60 Marlin. I tried these, none worked. They shot it u till it would not fire any ore, and stuffed it in a safe for 35 years.

Bought a bottle of Shooter's Choice lead remover. I plugged the muzzle, poured it in. Left it in for an hours. Pulled the plug, wire brushed it, and not a speck of 30 year old lead fouling remained.

merlin101
03-22-2016, 02:22 PM
Most grades of ScotchBrite have abrasive embedded in them. I'm not familiar with the copper coated variety but have used the red, green and gray for years and would not put any of them in a barrel.

David
Your talking about the 3M Scotch Brite ABRASIVE pads, I've used them in the bodyshop for years and work great for roughing up paint BUT would NEVER use them on a gun either! The red pad is equivalent to 320-400 grit sandpaper and the black is much coarser! If your polishing out grinder marks on steel these will work. The chore boy in this thread is all copper or copper coated pot scrubber pad, think of it as a non rusting steel wool pad.

David2011
03-22-2016, 10:42 PM
Your talking about the 3M Scotch Brite ABRASIVE pads, . . . The chore boy in this thread is all copper or copper coated pot scrubber pad, think of it as a non rusting steel wool pad.

Yes, I'm very familiar with Chore Boy but the OP mentioned "Scotch Brite copper coated scrubbers" by name. That's why I responded as I did. A quick search made it apparent that they are copper coated steel and warned about scratching and rusting. No telling what all is in them.

Off topic, the red Scotch-Brite is excellent for restoring the texture on the flats of stainless steel 1911 slides and frames and some SS watch bands.

David

Wayne Smith
03-23-2016, 07:41 AM
I have also found bronze wool in the cleaning section and at the hardware store. Works good on the Cast Iron, too.

Mitch
03-27-2016, 10:45 PM
I use Brownells Double Tuff bore brushes and if that will not take out the lead.I have the Lewis Lead remover also from Brownells makes shote work of the worst leading.

Iowa Fox
03-28-2016, 09:54 PM
Thanks guys. I found some (chore boy) on amazon for 6 or 7 dollars, too much or about right on price?

The pure copper chore boy is 2 dollars and some odd cents here at the grocery store (Fareway). I found the scotch brite to abrasive for anything I do other than some automotive use and then you have to be careful.

M-Tecs
03-28-2016, 10:01 PM
$2.49 at the local Super Value grocery store for the single box.

03-29-2016, 10:13 AM
Copper gauze or copper mesh is available everywhere online. Took 2 seconds to find dozens of sources. No way is it worth my time to drive around looking for stuff.

Geezer in NH
04-07-2016, 04:56 PM
$1.69 at my closest rural supermarket Chore Boy all copper 2 pads.