PDA

View Full Version : Babbitt score

stillhere
03-16-2016, 07:56 PM
Never seen babbitt until today. I didn't know what it was at the scrap yard but I knew I had to have it.
It's marked "QQT-390 Grade 2 CSR"

A quick google search shows the following composition:
Tin: 88-90%
Antimony: 7-8%
Lead: less than 0.35%
Copper: 3-4%

Total weight is 33lbs in 5 notch-bars. Cost: $23 and some sweat.

RogerDat
03-16-2016, 08:09 PM
And is worth around $300 maybe more not bad for $23 unless you sweated a whole awful lot. Babbitt is great alloy. Tin enough to put good amount in a lot of lead. The Antimony is high enough that it will raise not lower that Sb for hardness. Last but not least the copper makes for a tough bullet, one that stays together and keeps going when hitting a bone in a big animal at a high velocity. Close to pewter but with foundry stamps to provide proof of the alloy.

Man all I did today was have wild sex with a beautiful woman and find a $10 bill on the sidewalk, I'm totally jealous. :kidding:

stillhere
03-16-2016, 08:14 PM
Man all I did today was have wild sex with a beautiful woman and find a $10 bill on the sidewalk, I'm totally jealous. :kidding:
Hmm, I'd almost trade you straight across for that.:smile:

RogerDat
03-16-2016, 08:26 PM
Nah you don't want to. She has an annoying husband who is only a fair shot but believes limiting yourself to double tap is only for when you are low on ammo, and she is not all that bright either, after all she married me. Now the $10 I could spare.... just to help cover the postage don't you know.

Scooby
03-16-2016, 08:27 PM
That is awesome every time I come across a factory or foundry ingot I grab it up and stash it under the work bench, one day if I ever get access to an xrf gun I would like to see what I have. I love digging for the stuff it is like a treasure hunt.

Is that 33# per 5 notch bar or 33# total score?

stillhere
03-16-2016, 09:02 PM
That is awesome every time I come across a factory or foundry ingot I grab it up and stash it under the work bench, one day if I ever get access to an xrf gun I would like to see what I have. I love digging for the stuff it is like a treasure hunt.

Is that 33# per 5 notch bar or 33# total score?

I had to move many hundreds of pounds of dirty flashing and other heavy junk to find the treasure. Now my hands and wrists hurt even more than normal. But, it was worth it, it appears.
The ingots are a little over 5lb each.

runfiverun
03-17-2016, 04:13 PM
that dirty flashing is a treasure in it's own right.
don't move it, stack it up,,,, and buy it.

stillhere
03-17-2016, 04:32 PM
that dirty flashing is a treasure in it's own right.
don't move it, stack it up,,,, and buy it.

I don't buy it there because they charge 70 cents a pound and I can get better, cleaner lead for 42 cents a pound at my 'regular' place.

What this place has been good for is finding old foundry type metal, solder bars, the babbitt, of course, and lots of really hard scuba weights that have made some dandy bullets.

Smoke4320
03-17-2016, 04:57 PM
you did awesome with that purchase

stillhere
03-17-2016, 08:58 PM
Nothing but luck. And I'm especially happy when I get some of that kind of good luck.

RogerDat
03-18-2016, 05:30 PM
Yep, stack the "other" stuff up nice and neat so you can come back for it later... Seems I can never leave it there for very long. Wow scored 33# of Babbitt AND has a source for lead at 42 cents a pound. I'm not jealous, I'm more along the lines of beginning to hate with a deep and abiding..... Oh never mind, hating be too much work. :-)