PDA

View Full Version : Older Ideal/Lyman mold maintenance

zubrato
03-16-2016, 03:16 PM
Proud owner of a new to me older Ideal 358495.
Cavities and mold block faces look to be in great condition, but I have not cast with it yet because I need to secure handles. (most likely KAL tools)
163724 163727
Judging by the sprue plate, it may have been replaced with the Lyman 4 cav rebuild, but what's more concerning to me is the sprue plate pivot screw. I see pictures of the early ideals without a sprue plate washer, but this one appears to have space for one, and I'd rather make sure before doing anything that might bugger the screws.

What should the thread pitch gauge be? The threads are so stripped on the screw, and they're filled up with either steel or lead in the threaded sprue plate pivot hole I can't use my thread pitch gauge. I was hoping to gently run a correct tap through to clean up the threads. Looks like someone messed with the sprue plate screw, without loosening the set screw.

Luckily, the 10-36 threaded set screw is intact but I'll be looking for an allen to preserve the original if possible.

Is this the correct sprue plate pivot screw, & will I need a washer?

Any additional history or info on the mold would be greatly appreciated! Thank you guys

Calamity Jake
03-16-2016, 03:56 PM
With the threads stripped in the mold you will have to go with a bigger(12-24 or 1/4-20)
screw and tap the mold to match, that also means drilling the pivot hole to match.
Put a flat and spring(wavy) washer under the screw head.

jimofaz
03-16-2016, 03:59 PM
IIRC, it is has 1/4-28 threads. You'll know when you hold the tap up to the hole, or better yet hold the tap & screw's threads parallel to each other and hold up to a light to see if the pitch matches. Can you not use a thread pitch gage on the male screw threads? Believe there should have been be a washer. Might it have been removed by the previous caretaker to allow for a deeper male screw thread engagement? It can be salvaged, even if a new screw needs fitted.....

Catshooter
03-17-2016, 08:44 PM
Both screws on the four cavity are 1/4x28. The set screw is 10x32. The set screw bites the pivot screw below it's threads, so something else stripped the threads. From the pic it does look like the block is stripped. Pity. Since it's already 1/4 inch you'll have to go larger. Five sixteenths would be the next step up. But then where do you get a screw that will also fit the sprue plate?

If it were mine, I think I would fill the hole and then drill and tap so I could use the standard Lyman screw. I would think that'd be easier than drilling and tapping and then making a whole new screw.

I've never seen a four holer that didn't utilize a lock washer. Lyman still makes both them and the handles. Probably find them on eBay.

Let us know if you ever find a 10x36 set screw. I never could.

Good luck.

Cat

Dragonheart
03-18-2016, 09:07 AM
If the threads are stripped I would try a Helicoil and keep the same thread size.

zubrato
03-20-2016, 05:17 PM
Sorry for the late reply, huge thank you to everyone who pitched in. Got out my thread pitch gauge and measured the sprue pivot pin & sprue stop, it's definitely 1/4x28 and its pretty badly stripped :(

The set screw is unfortunately 10x36. I think drilling and tapping the next sized hole is probably the best idea given the thread is stepped down on the original.

I think this was a mix of things that sort of came together, since the set screw hole is drilled through both ends of the pivot pin threading, and the previous owner screwed the pivot pin even deeper to catch more threads, and tightened down the pivot set screw on that, continuing the process.

What should I do to prevent movement of the sprue plate stop, as it has no set screw? It's far too tight when screwed down to the shoulder, and it's drilled through to the handles

unrelated:
Buying a mold on ebay has nearly always been a serious makeover so far, as I just finished extracting broken handle screws from a beautiful H&G #50 mold. The handle screws were 10-32 and broken off an inch below the surface. Very nearly made a religious man out of me before the night was over

Just made a new set of handle screws using an electric drill, hacksaw, series of files and calipers.
New H&G handle screws:
The button head socket is much more hotplate/mold guide friendly!