PDA

View Full Version : PC coating regular jacked bullets

jander-9
03-16-2016, 06:41 AM
First of all sorry I know this sight is about cast bullets

I was just wondering if anybody has for example PC coated .308 bullets to make them bigger to use in 303 or 7.62 Russian or 7.7 Jap?+

Outer Rondacker
03-16-2016, 06:58 AM
Good question. I am going to tag this.

OS OK
03-16-2016, 08:37 AM
I do the shake w/BB's method and am careful to tap the tweezers to knock off any excess PC and I get consistent .002-.004 inch increase in the overall diameter.

fingers284
03-16-2016, 11:05 AM
If the PC will stick to the jacket as well as it does to cast, I would suggest it will work. Some of the most gratifying (& surprising) results I have had with PC is shooting undersized with great success.

All of my undersized testing was with a 45-70 with reduced pressure loads (1300 or so fps) so you may have to find a "pressure parameter" the cartridges you are suggesting will work within.

Stilly
03-16-2016, 01:11 PM
I have coated plated rounds with success, but I was not thrilled about doing it (since they were plated). If you have NOTHING ELSE then I imagine doing that will help and could size big enough, but PC is not meant to be like thickening material, it is more like lube. But if you were going from like .308/.309 to .311 I think that is quite possible and easily performed. I have not measured my PCed plated round but I imagine it would work the same.

bangerjim
03-16-2016, 01:43 PM
Copper must be absolutely clean and grease/oil free to have PC stick.

Will it stick? Yes......but look at some of the pictures on here of people that PC over Cu GC's. Checks have grease from the manufacturing of the strips and checks on them. They must be clean.

So it is also for FMJ's. All manufacturing residue must be 100% cleaned off or your PC will chip and flake. And cause potential fouling problems.

You can gain ~0.002" with one coat of PC. Anymore and you can end up with lopsided coats and improperly balanced projectiles. Especially critical in accurate rifle loads.

Dragonheart
03-16-2016, 03:43 PM
Yes, we have powder coated 308 copper plated bullets and sized to them to .310 to shoot in a 7.62 x 39 and they worked, but the thin copper plating did not hold up well to higher velocity as the plating tended to separate from the lead core. PC lead bullets could be accurately fired in the 7.62 x 39 at full velocity. Coating a thicker copper jacket should work better.

Don Fischer
03-16-2016, 05:43 PM
I would not fool with that. I don't see anywhere that PC bullet's can be driver to the speed of jacketed bullet's. I suspect the jacket is quite a bit stronger than PC and it's the jacket that allow's you to push velocity. I would strongly suggest leaving the PC behind and buy jacketed bullet's.

popper
03-16-2016, 06:36 PM
2700 in 308 IS jacket fps.

Dragonheart
03-16-2016, 08:38 PM
I would not fool with that. I don't see anywhere that PC bullet's can be driver to the speed of jacketed bullet's. I suspect the jacket is quite a bit stronger than PC and it's the jacket that allow's you to push velocity. I would strongly suggest leaving the PC behind and buy jacketed bullet's.

Sorry Don, but you are wrong. The powder coat created a polymer jacket that bonds at the molecular level to the alloy if cured properly and once cured takes on entirely different properties. We have now tested properly coated with adequate thickness PC bullets to velocities over 3100 FPS in a 30/06, with absolutely no leading of the barrels.

Don't sell polymer short it creates a hard and very tough jacket, which we already know is superior to copper plating. Not to say PC replaces a good copper jacketed bullet, but it is an alternative you can make yourself for a whole lot less than $0.25+ a bullet. Give it a try you may like it.