PDA

View Full Version : Scrap Yard Prices for COWW

Greg S
03-15-2016, 09:45 PM
I recall last year while I was visiting g family that I tried to pick up some WW at a local tire shops. One shop stated that they don't give them away anymore since their franchise considers them Haz Waste and the other shop turned their nose up @ $20.00 a bucket and counter with 75. Anyway, this weekend I contacted them about scrapping some COWW and heavily used brass cases. The brass was quoted @ $1.17 per lb and the.COWW was quoted @ 2 cents a pound. Hardly worth the efort to turn in for scrap.

truckerdave397
03-15-2016, 10:25 PM
The yard I work at is paying about $.40 to $.45 per pound for wheel weights that are mixed with steel and zinc weights.

stillhere
03-15-2016, 11:28 PM
The scrap yards around here sell them for 30-45 cents a pound, but you can count on a lot of zinc and iron, and really small lead weights. Once in a while I'll find the supersized trucker weights and I jump on those since they have such high yield and are pretty hard.

DW475
03-16-2016, 02:00 AM
I ended up finding five 5 gallon buckets of wheel weights that had been sitting buried under a heap of scrap metal here that I was able to trade some cast bullets for. The local recycler has 800 lbs of lead source containers that came from the hospital but I wasn't interested in spending $1 a lb for it.

Chris24
03-16-2016, 03:01 AM
The scrapyards around here charge $1 and pay about $.20 per pound for WWs. Most tire shops won't let me have any, except one. I pay them a little more than scrap price and they're happy.

RogerDat
03-16-2016, 08:44 PM
I ended up finding five 5 gallon buckets of wheel weights that had been sitting buried under a heap of scrap metal here that I was able to trade some cast bullets for. The local recycler has 800 lbs of lead source containers that came from the hospital but I wasn't interested in spending $1 a lb for it.

Those lead containers from a hospital may be isotope containers, pretty nice lead, less scrap than WW's. Search on the site or Google, I don't recall exactly what the content was but it has been popular in the swapping and selling forum when it shows up. This post has some breakdown http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?119435-Isotope-Lead&p=1303924&viewfull=1#post1303924