PDA

View Full Version : source for buying lead/tin mixtures for casting

hank woll
03-15-2016, 05:03 PM
where is a good source of supply for lead mixtures for casting??

Yodogsandman
03-15-2016, 06:14 PM
From other members in the "Swap and Sell" section. Rotometals has a link in the header above and is a site sponsor, also.

dverna
03-16-2016, 11:01 AM
Mayco is who I bought from last time. They will be less expensive than Rotometals if you buy in quantity. Mayco supplies a few commercial casters. Rotometals is good for small quantities.

quilbilly
03-16-2016, 01:02 PM
Do it yourself. Hit the metal scrap yards for relatively clean roofing lead or radiology lead sheets then keep an eye open for cans of birdshot. The roofing or rad. lead is usually quite pure and soft while the birdshot has the antimony and arsenic hardeners along with some tin to add to the pure. By my experience the birdshot is too hard for making the alloy I like for my boolits so I add about 2 tablespoons of birdshot to a pound of pure. The extra tin I add comes from the fishing tackle section at Walmart where tin splitshot sinkers are sold (about one size 7 tin splitshot is usually enough per pound of the above alloy). Doing this yourself makes you an alchemist who turns lead into gold with the right alloy.

GhostHawk
03-16-2016, 09:24 PM
I have bought all of mine right here.

Be patient, check every day.
Be ready to commit when you see what you want at a price you can live with.

For me that is roughly 70-75$ for 65+ pounds of range lead in ingots shipped. If they want to add shipping onto that I'd have to have the price down below 1$ a pound.

More for tin/antimony from a little more to 6-8$ a pound for tin.

How much you need in part depends on how hard you want to push them.
Patience, due dillegence, and being ready to act the second you see exactly what you want are the keys.

sigep1764
03-18-2016, 12:50 AM
Dont where youre from, but i get mine from Arch City Metals, a metal recycler in St Louis. They sell me wheel wieghts, lead pipe, and linotype. 40 cents a pound for wheel wieghts, 1 dollar a pound for the others. They let me pick through it too. Its worth it to bring something for the forman. Try to find a recycler around you thatll sell to the public.