PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Mould rebuild

ihmsakiwi
05-04-2008, 05:35 AM
Hello,
Does RCBS have a rebuild kit as per Lyman for their moulds? I have a 357 200grainer mould that is driving me nuts a the sprue plate bolt is too loose.
Kind regards, Peter.

ChuckS1
05-04-2008, 07:14 AM
I was able to get the parts I needed from RCBS' customer service department. Took about a week or so.

happy7
05-05-2008, 12:20 AM
me too, their customer service is outstanding!

ihmsakiwi
05-06-2008, 05:06 AM
Can you please tell me if the re-build items have an oversize bolt holding the spue plate as I am sure the hole looks as if it has enlarged (or the bolt has shrunk?). Or can you get an over-size bolt from RCBS? Peter

Southron Sanders
05-06-2008, 06:13 AM
This modification will solve your "Loose Sprue Plate" problem on both RCBS and Lyman moulds:

1. Remove the sprue plate, screw, etc., from your mould.

2. Using a drill press, drill the hole for the Sprue Plate Screw completely THRU the blocks until it comes out on the bottom of the block. Use a drill that is the same diameter as the present hole. (CAREFUL-THE HOLD MUST GO streight down THRU THE BLOCK!)

3. Go down to your local hardware store and carry your mould blocks with you. Purchase a "Grade 5" or above stainless steel bolt that IS LONG ENOUGH TO GO COMPLETELY THRU YOUR BLOCKS WITH 3/4" TO 7/8" OF AN INCH OF THE BOLT COMING OUT OF THE BOTTOM OF THE BLOCK.

4. Purchase two nuts for the bolt along with a short spring that will fit over the portion of the bolt that hangs out of the bottom of the block.

5. Reassemble your mould using the new bolt, put spring on bottom of your new Sprue Plate Bolt and thread the nuts on the bolt to compress the spring somewhat. (You might have to experiment with how far to screw down the nuts to get the ideal tension on the spring.)

6. Then use some "High Temperature" Loc Tite to hold the nuts in their proper position and "PRESTO" you have a Sprue Plate that will NOT LOOSEN DURING A CASTING SESSION AS THE SPRING KEEPS A CONSTANT AMOUNT OF PRESSURE ON THE BOLT HOLDING IT ON!!

THIS SYSTEM WORKS 10,000 % BETTER THAN THE ONE RCBS AND LYMAN PRESENTLY USES ON THEIR MOULDS. TRY IT, YOU WILL LIKE IT !!!! THIS IS THE SAME SYSTEM USED ON THE BLOCKS OF SOME COMMERICAL CASTING MACHINES.