PDA

View Full Version : Kel-Tec P32 back from repair

FergusonTO35
03-15-2016, 03:22 PM
You may remember awhile back I posted that my Kel-Tec P32 suddenly started shooting low. I couldn't find the original thread so I started a new one. In mid-January I dropped it off at the shop along with a letter explaining the problem and some targets. I had my fingers crossed that they wouldn't just tell me it was within spec or to try different ammo, considering that the pistol still grouped well and functioned 100%.

The pistol showed up at the shop last week, I finally got the chance to pick it up yesterday. According to the sheet in the box they literally built a new gun around my receiver. Slide, barrel, mechanicals, even the plastic grip assembly which had nothing wrong with it. I could tell the receiver was the same because it still has the same wear spots. The sheet said that it also got an updated trigger mechanism. I can't tell any real difference in the pull, but the hammer does sit slightly more forward at rest and the firing pin return spring is noticeably stronger. A test target was included showing 7 rounds of PMC ball ammo centered on the bull at 7 yards.

Got home and passed the cub off to momma bear, then snuck out back to try it out. I fired 24 rounds of 2 grains Titegroup under a 71 grain FMJ, a mild load. The pistol did not disappoint, she was putting all seven in a neat group centered on the front sight as she always did. I had two light strikes that would not fire no matter what, all the others fired no problem and showed normal indentations. I think these shells were loaded with Remington primers, which have been so hard and unreliable the past few years I don't bother with them in handguns anymore. Gonna try 2.2 grains with Federal primers next.

Well done, Kel-Tec! I'm kind of tempted to order up a P-3AT now.

[smilie=p:

Catshooter
03-15-2016, 08:52 PM
Go to hear. Kel-Tec is well known for their very good customer service. I've always liked their 32s. I have some P3ATs and they work well too. I doubt they would last as many rounds as 32, there is quite a step up in power between the two rounds. Recoil is much higher.

Cat

KnotRight
03-15-2016, 09:02 PM
I have a P3at and love it. Could swapped it off for the LCP but the gun has never FT fire or feed even with my reloads.

jimb16
03-15-2016, 11:13 PM
I also have a P3AT. Had it on the range today. Had an issue with a couple of hard primers that fired on the second try. They had nice deep dents, so I know it was the primers. While it is NOT a target pistol, I was shooting at 25 yards and despite those tiny sights, I was able to keep all shots inside the scoring rings on a standard 25 yard pistol target with 1 in the x and 3 in the 10 ring out of 10 rounds. Not too bad for a belly gun....

FergusonTO35
03-16-2016, 08:59 AM
If I get a P3AT I would just feed it boolits at modest velocity. I save the hot rodding for my Glock 42. The biggest thing I love about Kel-Tec is you can buy every single part other than receiver off their website for a reasonable price. I would much rather replace a $2.00 part myself than send the whole gun in.

fecmech
03-16-2016, 01:29 PM
I am very happy with my P3AT. When I got it I didn't have any molds lighter than the Lee 120TC so the gun got about 500 rds with that bullet and max loads of BE. I then bought the RD 100gr mold and after about 1000 more rds of factory equivalent loads I noticed a small crack in the top of the slide. Keltec sent me a new top end no charge. A couple hundred rds later the trigger broke and I had to send it back. They fixed the trigger no charge and I've put about 600 more trouble free rds through it. That's a lot of shooting for a little pocket gun and KT's customer service is superb. That little sucker is kind of like the Timex commercial "it takes a lickin and keeps on tickin". It is not pleasant to shoot with max loads but it is 100% reliable and small enough for constant carry. Mine is always with me.

FergusonTO35
03-16-2016, 07:01 PM
If I get a P3AT it will probably see only the Lee 356-102-2R and 356-95-RF at 800 fps. There is definitely a point of diminishing returns with these little guns.

FergusonTO35
03-19-2016, 06:27 PM
Shot the P32 some more today. Unfortunately, it is shooting 1-2" low with my 76 grain lead reloads. Pretty much dead on with (expensive) FMJ. I have several hundred Remington FMJ slugs still, so I suppose I'll work up a load that is accurate and has enough punch for defensive work, then try to figure out why the lead slugs shoot low. Factory .32 Auto ammo around here is 40-50 cents a shot and way watered down. Maybe a heavier bullet would work such as the Lyman 313249 or Accurate 31-087T, although it is strange that the lighter 71 grain FMJ shoots higher than the 76 grain lead slug.

Dale53
03-20-2016, 11:15 PM
Ferg;
The answer to your "point of impact" with different loads might be in the velocities of the various loads. If you get a chance, a chronograph might be helpful.

FWIW,
Dale53

fecmech
03-21-2016, 10:28 AM
My guess is that the jacketed ammo has slightly longer barrel time(harder to engrave,more friction)allowing more muzzle rise before exit. Hows that for a WAG!

rintinglen
03-21-2016, 11:14 AM
A slightly lighter load should boost your 76 grain boolit up enough to get it to point of aim. The general rule in handguns is " lighter, faster; lower: slower, heavier : higher." All else being equal, the same boolit will hit higher, the slower it goes, due to the longer time it spends in the barrel as it recoils. What is weird is that this phenomena seems opposite of the felt recoil. One would guess that the harder recoiling load would hit higher, but that is not the way the cookie crumbles, at least if boolit weight is constant.
I suppose, but have not tested, that at some point the bodies musculature control over recoil would over come the rise due to recoil, but suspect that such a velocity would be so low as to be impractical

FergusonTO35
03-21-2016, 02:07 PM
Hmm, very good advice here. I suppose Kel-Tec figured that the most commonly used ammo would be the somnolent USA factory stuff and designed accordingly. Otherwise it is shooting great.

FergusonTO35
03-22-2016, 03:02 PM
Shot the P32 some more before work today and found that if I really concentrated on the sights and my grip I could get the POI almost up to where it needs to be. I am still going to try heavier boolits but I am wondering if the rather excessive trigger overtravel is causing me to pull the muzzle down when the trigger breaks. I used to have a Kahr CW9 that was sweet pistol but did this so badly that I got rid of it. I'm going to make a temporary trigger stop and see if that helps.

FergusonTO35
03-22-2016, 09:09 PM
Got to looking around at what other people have done to correct overtravel on these pistols and found an excellent solution: small rubber and plastic bumpers commonly used on the bottom of computers and other objects. Found some self adhesive 7/16 vinyl bumpers at Ace Hardware and they fit like they were made for the pistol. Just dry firing I can feel a big difference.

Catshooter
03-22-2016, 09:36 PM
Ferguson,

I bet that little bumper could make a difference. I just wouldn't want it there if I was carrying the piece.

If you're hitting low/left that usually means that as one tightens their trigger finger the other fingers are also tightening. This pulls the pistol down/left for right handed shooters, high/right for lefties.

I find I have a soft spot for the P32s, though I don't currently own one.

Cat

FergusonTO35
03-23-2016, 08:38 AM
Thanks friend. I struggled with low/left for a long time and have largely overcome it with finger placement and follow through. All my other pistols are dead on or slightly high, including my .38 revolvers when fired double action. If this works as well as I think it will I will probably create a permanent trigger stop by building up the area behind the trigger with epoxy.

Outpost75
03-23-2016, 10:36 AM
Your test sample 31-087Ts are on the way. Hope they work for you, would like to see the results either way.

My Beretta 3032 INOX loves them with 2 grains of Bullseye at OAL 0.95".

FergusonTO35
03-23-2016, 02:45 PM
Sounds great, I'm looking forward to it!