PDA

View Full Version : Update on my pure lead bullets and info on my next project

oldracer
03-15-2016, 12:51 PM
Well yesterday went to the range with the Pedersoli Gibbs to see how it worked with my re-cast pure lead bullets which have allowed my home build slug gun to get better than 1 MOA at 300 yards now. So I started at 100 yards and all other specs were the same as the home built and used my home made "Shoot-n-See" type targets. These are black with a 3 inch white circle in the middle and what did I find......I could not see the insert in the front sight, black on black. So I shot 15 or so rounds and they were as good as expected with some touching and then a pulled shot, ETC. So last night I took half a dozen and made a large white area in the middle with a red dot in the center. That should help out that issue I figure?

I have the parts coming to build another 45 caliber slug gun and this one will be an under hammer using an Allen action and tiger maple stock. I am getting the parts from Pecatonica River and plan to use a tang sight and front globe. I plan to use one of the 209 primer adapters such as on the rifle that I got from Roger Johnson so there should be great ignition? I'll post some pictures when it gets assembled.

johnson1942
03-16-2016, 09:45 AM
with a roundnose bullet and the speeds your shooting you will never get bullet slump.they bump up very very fast and i also use lead with out tin when i make bullets. heres a hint that is really from the buffalo hunting days for a easy to fall out of the mold bullet. pure lead with a little piece of silver solder in the pot when you cast bullets. the kind of silver solder that melts about 700 or so degrees. they really cast easier and dont add very much hardness. in a pot of lead in the old days a silver dime would go with it for easy casting. keep up the good groups and keep haveing fun.