PDA

View Full Version : alloy calc query

twc1964
03-15-2016, 10:40 AM
Hi all, my phone won't open the alloy calculator so I am hoping some of the good folks here can help. I bought 25lbs of super hard from roto metals and want to garden some of my soft lead. How much super hard would I need to bring my 8bhn lead to around 10.5-11bhn? I prefer to harden my lead for my pistols in big batches as I shoot them more thsn my rifles. Thx for any help.

bdicki
03-15-2016, 10:54 AM
Using 40-1 on the calculator as the 8 brinell 450 pounds of it with the 25pounds of super hard would result in 10.7 brinell. Or 5# and 90# for a smaller batch.

twc1964
03-15-2016, 01:38 PM
Thanks bdicki, thats just what i needed. I guess I know what il be doing this weekend lol.

RogerDat
03-15-2016, 02:14 PM
You would probably need at least something able to run MS Excel or Open Office, and would need to have one of those installed. I don't know for certain but I think Open Office in addition to being free may have an android, tablet or you can use the web app to view/use the alloy calculator.

Tablet
https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?t=61238

Assorted Tials.
https://www.openoffice.org/porting/

bangerjim
03-15-2016, 04:44 PM
What kind of a phone do you have?

My iPhone/iPads run the sheet just fine. You need to get one of the above apps. It is native MS Excel Spreadsheet format. Pretty much universal for the last umpteen years in the computer world.

banger

twc1964
03-15-2016, 09:22 PM
Wife sent and bought a new computer tonite. Now I can download it and use it . Thx for the replies fellas.

rwadley
03-16-2016, 09:13 AM
Every time I see this thread, I laugh at the thought of "gardening lead."

bdicki
03-16-2016, 10:03 AM
Every time I see this thread, I laugh at the thought of "gardening lead."

I planted some wheel weights but nothing coming up yet.

twc1964
03-16-2016, 10:34 AM
Yeah, ha ha guys. This darned phone changes my words around. Guess I need to proof read lol

Hardcast416taylor
03-16-2016, 02:29 PM
I planted some wheel weights but nothing coming up yet.

Kinda like the `city slicker farmer` that planted 2 rows of chicks from the co-op. Couldn`t understand why they never grew?Robert

bangerjim
03-16-2016, 03:54 PM
I learned a long time ago not to type stuff into my iPhone! My fingers are not that small and the darned things have a brain of thier own. Now I only type stuff into this forum from my iPad with full QUERTY Allpe blutooth keyboard or from my main computers.

I have better luck using voice recognition with the phone than trying to type on that silly little flat screen. I leave that to the kids.

To heck with the iPhone! After all, it IS a phone, not a typewriter!!!!!!!!!!!

RogerDat
03-16-2016, 08:16 PM
Kinda like the `city slicker farmer` that planted 2 rows of chicks from the co-op. Couldn`t understand why they never grew?Robert
Or the one young man that after finishing agriculture college and getting a job on a corporate farm was busy telling the old farmer next parcel over how the old fellow with his outdated methods probably couldn't get more than 5 gallons of milk from the cow he had in his trailer, farmer replied "be doing good to get any, that there is a bull".

What is really bad is the auto spell guesses in part based on past words, so those text messages you send your buddies that use rough language to describe the ladies in the sports bar and impugn the character of the umpire and the opposing team on the big screen will help determine the auto complete in the email you send the pastor about this weeks church softball game.