PDA

View Full Version : Lee "Drip-o-matic" Fix

Bill*
05-03-2008, 10:58 PM
I have a Lee pro pot IV that drips (from threads here, I gather that they pretty much all do). Anyway, I read here that a pair of "vise-grips" would add some weight to the pouring handle and fix the leaking. Good idea, but I wanted something that didn't look quite so "temporary" (and I didn't want to tie up my vise-grips). The weight on the end of the factory handle measures .811 OD. and a lowes (or wherever) 3/4" galv. pipe nipple measures .808 to .813 ID (it varied around the ID circ.). I used my finger and a small piece of emery cloth till the nipple would just tap on without much effort . A pipe cap finished it off. I used a 3 1/2" nipple but any length should work. This is projecting out a couple of inches from the original so the leverage is added to the actual weight. If you needed more you could increase the length or maybe you have a friend who can melt some lead into it for you [smilie=1: :mrgreen: I hope someone can use this idea as I've gotten so many from here I would like to return the favour a bit. This is a GREAT site!!!!!......Bill

robertbank
05-04-2008, 12:41 AM
Good idea Bill. I hope it works long term. I finally bought a RCBS Pro Melter and installed the Drip on Matic over top of it. I now have a source of preheated lead.

Take Care

Bob

TAWILDCATT
05-06-2008, 09:26 PM
the other solution is to turn the rod with a screw driver and keep the pot clean.

compass will
05-06-2008, 09:30 PM
= If you needed more you could increase the length or maybe you have a friend who can melt some lead into it for you [smilie=1: :mrgreen:.....Bill

Would you ladle pour to fill the pipe or use a bottom feeder? ;)

sounds like a good idea, if (when) mine starts to leak I will remember this.

JeffinNZ
05-06-2008, 09:35 PM
I would argue the best fix is a ladle and a big self taping screw.

randyrat
05-08-2008, 06:37 AM
*****Just never run it completly dry*****,turn the screw once in a while, flux it once in a while and you'll be fine. I very seldom have any dripping. I keep an ingot mold under it in case it does drip. I also keep a peice of wire handy in case it does plug a little (push it thru the hole from the bottom with the pot HOT) Also when you flux it scrape the sides down good. Wire- i think its a 12 or 14 gauge

10-x
05-08-2008, 07:16 AM
I agree with the other comments on the Lee Pot.
Have used mine since the 70's, learned the 2nd or 3rd time casting to keep a screwdriver close to turn the end of the rod AND to keep a "container" under the spout.
Problem seems to be in the design of the rod end and the spout of the pot. "Trash" will keep the rod from seating , so flux and skim often.

IMHO it's the cost of using a Lee:smile:

jlchucker
05-08-2008, 08:20 AM
Randyrat's technique is exactly the same as the one I use. No problems doing it this way. These Lee pots are a bargain for the casual caster, but maybe not for someone who casts thousands upon thousands of rounds regularly. That drip will occur a whole lot less if you use clean lead and flux frequently while casting. Turning that screw back and forth once in a while during the casting process is a must.

Southern Son
05-08-2008, 10:25 AM
10X,
I think that you are right on the cure for the Lee Drip, it cant be cured with a dose of antibiotics, but a screwdriver kept handy it the best thing that you can do, along with DON'T LEAVE IT ALONE FOR A MINUTE. If you do, you will end up with a scorch mark on you bench top and a chunk on lead the size and shape of a dinner plate wrapped around you Lee Pot's base. What is even more fun than trying to separate 20 pounds of 20/1 from the base of your Lee Pot? Trying to work out a way to melt a piece of lead 2 inches thick and 1 foot round in a lead pot that is only 4 inches in diameter! Don't ask me how I know, it will just make me cry.

I think that there is another "cost of using a Lee" and that is the thermostat. I have come across many others that have had to replace theirs ofter a year or so.

NoDakJak
05-08-2008, 06:22 PM
Good afternoon Southern Son, The new thermostat that i installed in my Lee 4-20 last fall has just given up on me. I now have three Lee pots and one ancient Lyman pot sitting on the shop floor that need new thermostats. I finally gave up fighting it and have a new RCBS Pro Pot arriving next week. I have great hopes for it. Bite the bullet, scrimp, save and order one yourself. Neil

10-x
05-08-2008, 08:42 PM
Southern Son,
Sounds as we are kind of the same..........I dont cast 1000's of boolits but do "blast away" with a few 100 a year now, not to count .22's in rifles, revolvers and semi auto pistols and the "condom bullets" sent down range in 1911's, 1903's, M-1's , Carbines and an M-1-A.
Wish I had a place to "blast away" anytime I wanted...........but it's a hour to any range.................cant shoot over the marsh/river..............the PC neighbors would'nt know what was going on!!!![smilie=b: