PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 45 Beeswax Lube Suggestion?

davidheart
03-15-2016, 01:02 AM
Howdy. So I have a Lyman 45 which is new to me (excited), and some lube to go with it. But when that lube runs out I'm trying to think ahead to the most economical, and satisfactory option. I have a couple beehives and a fair amount of beeswax as a result. I have no doubts I'll continue to have beeswax as the years go on without trouble.

What would be a soft lube recipe y'all would recommend I could use to make a universal lube for both rifle and pistol? Preferably with "easy to find" ingredients. Remember, I don't have a heater for the Lyman 45. Thank you so much for your suggestions!

fryboy
03-15-2016, 01:58 AM
50/50 beeswax and lithium grease or Vaseline ,adjust as desired for seasonal temps ( a lil more wax makes it harder a lil more grease makes it softer ) true there's better and perhaps less messy lubes but ... You did say easy and economical [shrugz]

Char-Gar
03-15-2016, 11:53 AM
I have been using a mixture of beeswax and Vaseline for over 50 years. Folks have told me that Vaseline is not what it used to be and is no good anymore, but that is not my experience. I use just enough Vaseline to soften the wax for use in a lube-sizer machine. Somewhere around 35 to 40 % Vaseline would be my guess. I have never used a heater.

This stuff works fine for all handgun loads, and rifle loads up to about 2,200 fps. Above that I like Felix Lube.

The greases work well to cut the beeswax, but require more heat to melt and mix.

runfiverun
03-15-2016, 12:32 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?168373-simple-lube

here is a variation on Charles's vasoline- bees-wax lube.
most people have or can get the ingredients at their local dollar store easy enough.
there is a pretty good discussion on some changes and variations you can make throughout the thread and at the end some more discussion on how it has worked for the users over a couple of years time.