PDA

View Full Version : Custom Seating Stem For Redding Die

ArrowJ
03-14-2016, 11:07 PM
Anyone know where I could get a custom seating steam for a Redding 9mm die? I know the little ring it leaves around the bullet is not a thing for most people, but it drives me nuts.

I bought some Berry's round nose today so I could load something with my fancy new equipment before I actually get some boolits cast. If it rings those I guarantee it will ring my lead boolits.

Incidentally, all the rounds plunk in and out of my barrel. The COL is 1.160 +\- 0.010 on top of 5.2 gr of Silhouette. For anyone that read my chamfering thread those cases with too much chamfer did not cause an issue with crimping that I could see (but these are not cast boolits). I am hoping to fire them soon.

Paul_R
03-14-2016, 11:12 PM
CH4D can make anything you want.

https://www.ch4d.com/

Doc Highwall
03-14-2016, 11:46 PM
I just put some release agent on the bullet and use JB Weld on the seating stem.

C. Latch
03-14-2016, 11:49 PM
Could you polish it?

I've had several die sets that left a ring on bullets during seating, but it usually goes away after a few hundred rounds.

ArrowJ
03-15-2016, 12:34 AM
Not sure polish would work. It is a hollow stem so the ring is from the circle made by that.

The JB Weld idea seems like a possibility...maybe, but probably I would fail :)

Wayne Smith
03-15-2016, 02:23 PM
If you are not comfortable with JB weld use hot glue. If you fail nothing is lost, just try again.

gwpercle
03-15-2016, 05:26 PM
I find a custom fit with epoxy putty , is easier than with epoxy glue , the putty doesn't run. a small ball into the nose cavity , clean the cavity , grease the bullet nose , and inside die body just in case of ooze, carefully reassemble die and light seating pressure will form the putty to exact nose shape and eliminate that ring around the boolit . Make sure everything is straight and in line. Let cure overnight while sitting in the press. I had great luck with putty...it can be removed. The stick I have is also made by J-B weld and you can find the stuff in plumbing section also.
Gary

lefty o
03-15-2016, 11:56 PM
give redding a call/email, ive done the same and they made me a seater for free. good service.