PDA

View Full Version : I cant find my favs (231, h110, varget) - Any suggestions

Gunslingerdoc
03-14-2016, 04:22 PM
Ive been reloading a bunch lately and noticed my stock of Varget, Win231, H110 is getting low - especially the 231 and Varget. Ive hit the usual suspects online sellers including a few Id sworn off dealing with years ago and everyone is out.

Any secret sources? good alternatives you'd suggest?

Thanks!

C. Latch
03-14-2016, 04:36 PM
The Bass Pro Shops not too far north of you in Kodak, TN had Varget and H110 on the shelf back during the winter. I bought a pound of Varget and if you were closer to me and had something to trade I'd happily trade you for something else as I really don't have a huge need for Varget.

Also, there's a new powder store in Knoxville called Prone Shooter. They had A BUNCH of stuff when I was there a month ago. Have you checked there?

Boolit_Head
03-14-2016, 04:41 PM
Look for 296 to replace your H110, they are practically the same. Varget has been scarce around here. I got a pound a month ago I am using very little to try to make it last.

C. Latch
03-14-2016, 04:46 PM
Also, if you ever get up into Kentucky, there's a store in Corbin and a store in Somerset that have good selections of powder.

DerekP Houston
03-14-2016, 04:51 PM
shot you a pm with a source for all 3 (currently) in stock. Since it changes so often, best of luck to ya!

old benn
03-14-2016, 06:52 PM
Also having difficulty finding 231. What would be a good clean burning (practically the same) for 9mm. I just bought some Titegroup, with that in mind.
old benn

lup
03-14-2016, 07:19 PM
Hp38 is nearly the same as win231. I see it more often available. If yiu look at a burn chart, they are side by side.

yancey
03-14-2016, 08:10 PM
How Close to Chattanooga are you ? Cabelas is just a mile across the Georgia line and they did have some H110 and some accurate No. 5

dannyd
03-14-2016, 08:39 PM
hp-38 after 2009 is 231 and h110 is 296. same thing different bottles

runfiverun
03-14-2016, 10:07 PM
I have been seeing both 231 and HP-38 on the shelves.
I stood there and looked at an 8 lb jug of 231 the other day until the wife finally said "buy it or move along, we got stuff to do".
I moved along.
I have American select and green-dot to cover anything the 231 can do if I use up what I got here.

H-110 has been around too but no 296.
I've seen varget here and there but the old version [4064] has been sitting on every shelf I have looked at.
including mine.

anyway MP-300 is pretty close to H-110.
and is a lot more available around here, and is also capable of making some extra-lite 12 ga shot shells.

Blackwater
03-14-2016, 10:08 PM
You're not alone sir! Many of us have gone to a different powder, or whatever we could just FIND that was suitable. I looked for a long time for some Green Dot and Longshot, and finally found enough for my purposes, but I'm STILL looking for an 8 pounder of 2400. Every time I've heard of some, I arrived too late. With the Green Dot, I found some and went looking for a better price, and when I went back to order (only a few min.) it was GONE! I think we've all learned some good lessons in this shortage, and some have even found new "favorite powders" by simple virtue of having to experiment just to keep shooting. So it's not been an entirely un-mixed "problem."

At least it seems to be getting better now, and there are rumblings that Hodgdon will soon have some of the Clays powders available more widely. All I can say is "Whew!" But then again, if Hillary goes in, we MAY well have all we're gonna' GET for a WHILE! That prospect makes me sick at my stomach, but .... there it is. And her opposition seems so divided it just might happen, too. After all, who among us thought Obama could be elected TWICE???? (shudder!) Truly we've come to live in "interesting times," as the old Chinese curse once said!

Clay M
03-15-2016, 11:57 AM
Varget is always scarce.It is one of the more popular powders.
I bought two pound this past weekend for $30 a pound.
They also had an 8lb keg for $219

I also bough some Varget at Cabelas and third generation shooters.
It doesn't stay around long.
Reloader 15, Norma 202,and N135 also work well.

Graf and Son has Norma 202 on sale right now.

Right now looking to buy some more Fed 210 Gold Match primers.

Before things heat up with the elections, this is a good time to stock up on components.

Gunslingerdoc
03-15-2016, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the replies! That's what makes this the best shooters board out there! I ordered some 231 and h110. My dad has decided hes not going to shoot much anymore so he gave me 2 pounds of varget (to keep his grandson in reloads!).

Gunslingerdoc
03-15-2016, 12:21 PM
I'm south of Columbia (hour plus South of Nashville) about 35 miles North of the AL border... being on call keeps my pretty much locked into about a 45-60 minute distance so my options consist of online sources for the most part....but then again I have a range in my back yard and can pee off the front porch so its not all bad.

Clay M
03-15-2016, 01:23 PM
I'm south of Columbia (hour plus South of Nashville) about 35 miles North of the AL border... being on call keeps my pretty much locked into about a 45-60 minute distance so my options consist of online sources for the most part....but then again I have a range in my back yard and can pee off the front porch so its not all bad.

If you can pee off the porch ,that is a big plus..

HB0708
03-15-2016, 01:40 PM
If you need any more Varget, I've got just under 2 lbs I could part with, and there's a store local that had about 4 lbs when I was last in there. But, I think they want $35ish per pound; that's kind of pricey if you ask me. I'm about 10 miles south of the AL/TN border. Let me know if you're interested.

waco
03-15-2016, 09:38 PM
Powder Valley had 8lb jugs of 296 yesterday.......

lotech
03-16-2016, 12:32 AM
Speaking of Powder Valley, their website is a good one to check daily. In the past couple of weeks, they had Varget, though not for long.

C. Latch
03-16-2016, 08:26 AM

Does Steve's in Columbia still sell powder?

Blackwater
03-16-2016, 03:12 PM
Gunslingerdoc, this is off topic, I know, but FWIW, a buddy of mine lived 14 years in Atlanta, working freelance in the advertising business, which is a really tough business. But he liked it and did very well in it. He's a country boy, like me, but he grew up in a tiny little town whereas I grew up in the sticks. He found what was probably the ONLY house to rent in all of Atlanta that was affordable to him AND was completely surrounded by woods, and he found great satisfaction when the advertising and Atlanta culture started getting the best of him, to just go outside an pee in the yard, hearing all kinds of traffic all around him, but being "secure" in doing so. He also saw a nice, big red fox in his snow covered yard one morning. Now THAT is a sight most won't ever see in downtown Atlanta!

And FWIW, I peed in my own back yard last night, myself. Sometimes, the simplest things can yield very disproportionate satisfactions, can't they? :bigsmyl2:

RogerDat
03-16-2016, 03:30 PM
IMR4064 is very close to Varget but is larger grains so it won't as much in a small cartridge as Varget. E.G the .223 it can be harder to measure and get those long grains into the case. Other than that it is essentially the same powder according to the ADI (manufacturer) equivalent chart http://www.adi-powders.com.au/handloaders/equivalents.asp

jonp
03-17-2016, 08:43 PM
Dang, too bad you were not closer. Last gunshow down here had H110 8lb kegs as well as W296. All you wanted to buy.

Mica_Hiebert
03-17-2016, 09:17 PM
cfe223 is similar to varget. dont forget the old staple 4198, h110 shoud be available W296 in the same thing, sorry I cant help much I have 8 lbs of varget and 10 lbs of h110 rat holed away, try unique or univerasal for your pistol powder.

sandman228
03-18-2016, 09:35 AM
I was at field & stream last weekend they had plenty of 231 but at 30$per lb I passed on it . ive still got 8 lb of imr pb here its pretty close to 231 i'll use it

Handloader109
03-18-2016, 01:07 PM
PV still has w296 in 1,4,And 8 lb containers as of today......

sig2009
03-19-2016, 05:18 PM
Here's your H110 8lb shipped. Includes hazmat!
https://www.slickguns.com/product/hodgdon-h110-pistol-powder-free-hazmat-free-shipping-8-lbs-18850

CraigOK
03-19-2016, 06:38 PM
Precision reloading had a lot the other day

truckerdave397
03-21-2016, 08:19 PM
I hate to rub salt in a wound but I bought a eight pound jug of Winchester 231 at Jays in Clare Michigan for $150 plus tax yesterday. They had about 7 or 8 more jugs. I do not know if they ship. I did not really need it, just getting ready for four years of Hillary.

runfiverun
03-21-2016, 09:36 PM
I been hauling 8 lbs of green-dot, 2 lbs of red-dot, and a pound of enforcer all over western Wyoming this week.
I found it in Casper, and it's been to the Utah border and back twice now it'll make it all the way home some time next week but i'm glad to have it.
this is the first red-dot I have seen in 2-3 years now.
last time I was in they had 2 lbs of 2400 which made it to Texas and back again before going home.
I was hoping for more of that but i'll for sure take the red-dot and be happy.

Gunslingerdoc
03-22-2016, 01:17 PM
Im time limited of load development (lazy and my retired parents just bought a house/farm 4 miles from me) so Im in that boat of wanting to stay with loads Ive worked up over the years rather than try to develop new ones - of course, Im reaching that point where the manufacturers will be phasing out my favorite powders so Im sure Ill have to at some point...I have always bought large amounts/stocked up on sales over the years and was hoping to put last the most recent panic buy, but im getting close to a serious restock. Problem I see is that all these folks while to pay $30+/k for primers and 10 cents/each for 22lr have shown the manufacturers that people will pay and their going to hang on to these prices as long as the market will bear....glad Im still shooting 2cent 22lr's but even that day will end at some point.

LeftyDon
03-22-2016, 03:25 PM
There's some easy to find & cheap powders coming onto the US market from Nobel Sport and some might be worth checking out.

Look at: http://www.vectan.fr/UK/reloading-charges?type_arme=epaule

plus: http://www.vectan.fr/UK/

Download the catalog pdf from the last one (listed in the "Tables Reloads" box and there's a cross-reference to US powders as far as burn speed.

I've been using Vectan AS since Clays disappeared a few years ago and I like it so much that I doubt if I'll go back to Clays. Powder Valley and Graf & Son both have these powders in stock along with BPI.