PDA

View Full Version : Going Glock free

Thumbcocker
03-14-2016, 03:05 PM
After struggling mightily with loads and boolits and sights and trigger sears etc. me and the Glock 19 have parted company. While I admired the simplicity and durability I could just not warm up to the little sucker and never did shoot my best with it. I had the feeling that there was accuracy there but I could not get it out.

I pick up the replacement on Tuesday. A spanking new CZ75 BD. It just feels like a pistol ought to and I have read that they are accurate.

Hoping for the start of a beautiful friendship or as close as a guy who goes by Thumbcocker can have with a self shucking pistol.

straightwall
03-14-2016, 03:12 PM
The CZ 75 models are Nice!

Lefty Red
03-14-2016, 03:15 PM
Can't say you didn't go up in quality!
CZ makes a nice Hi Power clone!

Petrol & Powder
03-14-2016, 07:07 PM
The CZ is a great gun.

I'm sorry to hear that you and the Glock 19 didn't get along but guns can be very individualistic things.

I've always felt that the Glock model 19 and the SIG 228 represent an ideal balance between size, capacity, weight and power; at least as far as semi-auto pistols go. However, that balance is of little value if the user is unable to bond with the gun.

In the end it is a personal decision and sometimes the best path is to move on.

Tom W.
03-14-2016, 08:23 PM
I traded off my Glock 30 and sold my 17, but like my 19. However, if I see something that strikes my fancy, I'm not so enamored that I won't trade it off.

johniv
03-14-2016, 08:45 PM
Traded my G19 for an almost new Ruger security six 4" Best deal I ever made.

Thumbcocker
03-14-2016, 08:59 PM
johniv, we may be brothers from different parents.

Blackwater
03-14-2016, 10:45 PM
I know it's not fashionable to knock Glocks, and I know they really ARE fine guns. Gunny Ermy don't tell no fibs! I shot the 2nd Glock 17 to hit my county, courtesy of a friend and good pal who had to have at least one of whatever was new and just coming out. I was, very frankly, impressed, and didn't expect to be. However, I have NEVER been able to get my hands really comfortable on a Glock of any type. And I have yet to identify just why that is, too. It's frustrating because they're genuinely good guns, and I'd love to have one, but they just don't feel or point right for me. I keep my lips pooched out about it but that doesn't help either. It's tough being a misfit.

Scharfschuetze
03-15-2016, 02:34 AM
I never could warm up to Glocks, although I keep a Glock 19 around. Having grown up with 1911s, Browning Hi-Powers and revolvers, I'm perennially condemned to shoot high with a Glock due to its different grip angle when engaging targets quickly or instinctively. If I had to carry one on duty, I'd shoot it enough to develop the muscle memory to correct that, but then my muscle memory for the 1911s and revolvers would be skewed.

Tackleberry41
03-15-2016, 07:51 AM
I never could warm up to Glocks, although I keep a Glock 19 around. Having grown up with 1911s, Browning Hi-Powers and revolvers, I'm perennially condemned to shoot high with a Glock due to its different grip angle when engaging targets quickly or instinctively. If I had to carry one on duty, I'd shoot it enough to develop the muscle memory to correct that, but then my muscle memory for the 1911s and revolvers would be skewed.

This is alot of peoples issue. If you have several glocks, you get used to them. I only had one glock, plus Browning HP, 1911, tokarev, S&W, the glock just felt off. Maybe glock did this on purpose, knowing people would not feel comfortable with other brands and buy more glocks. Friend of mine claims to not be a glock snob, even tho thats all he really owns pistol wise, and turns his nose up at firing other brands.

FergusonTO35
03-15-2016, 03:07 PM
My Glock 19 is very accurate but has always shot high, whereas my 26 and 42 do not.

Scharfschuetze
03-16-2016, 01:18 AM
I'd be willing to bet that Herr Glock based his grip angle on the Luger, which would be natural choice for an Austrian.

I have this same issue with a Ruger Mk I 22 match auto that I won at a pistol match years ago. Ruger later came out with a 22/45 model of the pistol with the more familiar (to US shooters anyway) 1911 grip angle.

Geezer in NH
03-16-2016, 07:43 PM
Your loss IMHO. To each his own.

Lefty Red
03-16-2016, 09:41 PM
My Glock 19 is very accurate but has always shot high, whereas my 26 and 42 do not.

My 26&27 are the most accurate Glocks I have shot. And the only ones that haven't given me problems with shooting high.

sandman228
03-18-2016, 09:52 AM
I owned a g 19,22,43,and a 21 sf . the only 1 I could shoot decent with is the 21 sf .the 19 grouped decent but always shot low . I ended up trading the 43 in on an m&p9 shield ,traded the 19 straight up for an m&p 9 compact ,and traded the 22 for a springfield xd40 tactical . to each there own but glocks just don't do it for me .

txbirdman
03-18-2016, 12:40 PM
I have a theory about why the mid size and full size glocks shoot high for 1911/hipower guys and the baby glocks do not. I think with the full size grip that the hump at the bottom of the glock grip frame pushing against the bottom of the hand makes it point high but with the baby glocks the hump doesn't hit the bottom or the hand. It more or less rests in the palm thus the muzzle points lower. I presently have a Glock 19 and to get it to point properly for me I bought a Grip force adapter which is suppose to eliminate slide bite. But for me it changed the grip angle of the 19 to something much more like a 1911.

Tackleberry41
03-19-2016, 09:37 AM
I out one of the add on beavertails on my glock, felt like all my other guns, but also made the grip more bulky. I was about to bob the grip on my glock, a one way trip that makes it pretty hard to sell. So just traded it off for something to do like.

One would think glock would come out with a line with more traditional grip angle, just change the mold to get rid of the hump. Glock seems odd as most other guns in the same price slot come w metal sights, glock is still using plastic. Most others are shifting over to ambi controls, glock isn't. Yea was a time when glock was at the edge of things, now they always seem to be playing catch up. Single stack guns were selling like crazy, glock just figured cutting off parts of the brick would fix it, before eventually coming out w single stack guns, several years behind the curve.

pmer
03-20-2016, 03:17 AM
After struggling mightily with loads and boolits and sights and trigger sears etc. me and the Glock 19 have parted company. While I admired the simplicity and durability I could just not warm up to the little sucker and never did shoot my best with it. I had the feeling that there was accuracy there but I could not get it out.

I pick up the replacement on Tuesday. A spanking new CZ75 BD. It just feels like a pistol ought to and I have read that they are accurate.

Hoping for the start of a beautiful friendship or as close as a guy who goes by Thumbcocker can have with a self shucking pistol.

My G19 seems to be a good shooter now but for the first 400-500 rounds it was not fun to look at the targets. The easiest Glocks for me to get along with is a gen. 3, G30 .45 ACP.

badbob454
03-20-2016, 03:55 AM
cz 75b best shooter in a pistol i ever shot freehand 50 yards 5'' groups .all day long'''

Thumbcocker
03-20-2016, 09:44 AM
I have only had one rage outing with the CZ but it shoots rings around what I was able to get out of the G19. I have absolutely no regrets.

Silver Jack Hammer
03-20-2016, 09:55 AM
Where I worked as a peace officer they went to Dept issue weapons, they would have given me a Glock. Me and many others opted for the I'll buy my own program. In fact when we formed a committee to decide what gun to go to as the Dept issue, the Glock was voted dead last. The Glock was chosen because it came in as the lowest bid.

mozeppa
03-20-2016, 10:02 AM
i couldn't get past the tupperware part.

Hammerhead
03-20-2016, 02:20 PM
CZ makes a nice Hi Power clone!
Others clone the CZ75, but the CZ75 is no clone of anything. Very different than the High Power.
One downside to the 75 is the very short throat limiting cartridge lengths with bullets like the XTP or other cone shape bullets. Solid guns though, very accurate.
I got along OK with the Glock 19, but the CZ is more fun to shoot.

txbirdman
03-20-2016, 07:58 PM
I have both the CZ75B and a Glock 19 and enjoy both guns for a different reason. The CZ is a great range gun and is accurate with 147 gr. cast bullets as well as most other 9MM's I put through it but it's a heavy gun to carry all day if you have a CHL and of course it's a double action (which some prefer but are not for me in a carry gun) On the other hand the Glock19 being a striker fired gun with the same consistant trigger pull for each shot and weighing much less than the CZ works better as a carry gun for me. Both are great guns and I enjoy shoot both but for different purposes. Once I got the grip angle worked out on the Glock I'm able to shoot defensive drills with it faster than with any other handgun I own including my 1911's

Lefty Red
03-21-2016, 11:04 AM
Others clone the CZ75, but the CZ75 is no clone of anything. Very different than the High Power.
One downside to the 75 is the very short throat limiting cartridge lengths with bullets like the XTP or other cone shape bullets. Solid guns though, very accurate.
I got along OK with the Glock 19, but the CZ is more fun to shoot.

in the beginning, when the Red Hordes still had a wall up and I was in Germany saving the free world and drinking some awesome beer, CZs had this Hi Power Clone and manufactured some wonderful weapons. I remember shooting one that was snuck over from a NATO/SALTY Nations exercise. Wonderful, knew I had to have one.

Got shipped out for Shield/Storm and missed out on the influx of the, when the wall fell. But I remember the style and of the pistol. Even got to shoot it next to a NATO issued Hi Power. Would exchange magazines!

CZ has modified the 75 series, but it's still a Hi Power. And it's the best shooting one out of the box!

Lefty

edp2k
03-22-2016, 11:11 PM
Lefty, I believe that you are thinking of the Hungarian Hi Power clone made by FEG.
CZ never made a hi power clone. a CZ 75 is a very different design, different mag, rails in the inside of the frame,
DA/SA and can be cocked and locked.

FergusonTO35
03-23-2016, 04:00 PM
That is what counts!

Lefty Red
03-23-2016, 05:53 PM
Lefty, I believe that you are thinking of the Hungarian Hi Power clone made by FEG.
CZ never made a hi power clone. a CZ 75 is a very different design, different mag, rails in the inside of the frame,
DA/SA and can be cocked and locked.

I know now the clone you are talking about. But the 75 was heavily influenced, at the least, by the Hi Power. And Com Bloc examples showed they were exact copies. Now the 75 has evolved over the years, like all good weapons. It's not the same as it was back in the day.

Preacher Jim
03-23-2016, 05:57 PM
Common sense has prevailed again another glock bites dust.
Get a 1911

dverna
03-23-2016, 06:12 PM
There is no "right" choice. Whatever YOU like, shoot well, and have confidence in is what you should shoot.

I stopped carrying 1911's because the triggers were too good and I feared an AD under stress. The Glock takes getting used to but it (mine anyway) will put every bullet into the ocular cavity at 7 yards with a two handed hold. That is as good as I need. I like the high capacity mags as well

i trained with a guy who does diplomatic protection. He carries a G22.

I also like being able to put a 9mm barrel in my .40 and shoot two calibers.

Low Budget Shooter
03-24-2016, 01:16 PM
I had the same experience. According to paper specs and reputation, I should have loved the Glock 19 I got years ago. But I hated the feel of it and couldn't shoot well with it. I sold it off and never looked back.

palmettosunshine
03-25-2016, 09:09 PM
Bought a CZ-75B years ago and took it to an informal match at a private range. I was ridiculed for the CZ as the other shooters all had Glocks. I won that match and earned the grudging respect of the other shooters. Bought and sold many pistols in the ensuing years but the CZ stayed. Finally decided I "needed" a Glock 19 with the NIBX slide. Loved the look, shot it very well but hated the grip. Just never could warm up to it. Just didn't feel "right" like the CZ. Traded it for a G23 and then ANOTHER G19. Still have the CZ...

LAH
03-25-2016, 09:40 PM
You'll love the CZ. Mine shoots dead on.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h244/Creekerpics/Firearms/CZ75/DSC05974.jpg (http://s66.photobucket.com/user/Creekerpics/media/Firearms/CZ75/DSC05974.jpg.html)

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h244/Creekerpics/Firearms/CZ75/DSC06670.jpg (http://s66.photobucket.com/user/Creekerpics/media/Firearms/CZ75/DSC06670.jpg.html)

dbarry1
03-25-2016, 09:44 PM
I will not judge you based on the mfg of the gun you choose (nor the caliber), nor the politician you choose to vote for. Amen.

crowbuster
03-25-2016, 11:00 PM
my g27 is the only glock I have ever owned. Like has been said I had to learn to shoot it well/ I like it for summer as it is easy to conceal. 1911 anytime but summer. Im thankfull we have choices.

cainttype
03-26-2016, 06:27 AM
Although the original CZ 75 uses a Browning-type short-recoil barrel/slide lock system it is definitely not a High Power clone.
The original CZ 75 is pictured in LAH's post #33, and displays the unique (at that time) reversed slide rails. The pistol "evolved" into the CZ 75B when a firing pin block was added, other than that it remained basically the same.
It is understandable that the High Power and the CZ 75 share a similar appearance, and might be confused with each other based on that.

The Czechs have a long history of making high-qualty firearms and developing unique designs. The CZ 75 was one of those, and simply added to that history.
It is not, and never has been, a "Clone" of any previously existing design.

LAH
03-26-2016, 09:34 AM
My CZ is a PreB & was a bring back & not an import. All the imports had the importer name on the slide if memory serves. Mine is bare.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h244/Creekerpics/Firearms/CZ75/DSC05976.jpg (http://s66.photobucket.com/user/Creekerpics/media/Firearms/CZ75/DSC05976.jpg.html)

cainttype
03-26-2016, 11:12 AM
The B model sports the squared off trigger guard, lengthened frame rails, and skeletal hammer also.
The CZ 75, and it's variants, are one of (if not THE) best pistols made in it's class, in my opinion.