PDA

View Full Version : Powder & Primer Storage

roscoe
03-14-2016, 09:13 AM
I have been reloading inside my house for a number of years, but decided to move the operation to my workshop in a detached garage since I'm getting more powder. I currently have the powder stored in the house in a recommended wooden powder safe with all powder in the original containers. The primers are also stored in the same area, but not in the powder safe.

I live in the Houston Texas area which has an average 98% humidity during the summer and many scorching hot days. I would like to store my powder and primers in the shop that is not climate controlled. It would be too costly to setup a system for climate control in the shop.

I thought about making another safe and have a double thickness of drywall and some insulation between the drywall and the exterior wood.

I also thought about getting a small refrigerator that could maintain a constant temperature of around 75* or so.

Any thoughts on this or recommendations?

Petrol & Powder
03-14-2016, 09:27 AM
The humidity shouldn't be a huge issue for the powder in a sealed plastic bottle. If the primers are in a container they should be OK as well.

The heat is another story. While Houston is clearly hot, it doesn't maintain peak temps 24 hours a day. A well insulated container will slow those shifts in extreme temperatures but eventually it will find some equilibrium, hopefully somewhere below peak temps :razz:.

I would think that a well built box near the floor would at least be able to hold the temps 10 degrees below peak, assuming the interior of the shed doesn't become superheated. If the shed is vented and even better, shaded; you could probably get away with storing primers in a cooler, near the floor.
This might be an excellent opportunity to use a solar panel to power a fan in the attic of the shed to keep the peak temps down. The fan would run in sunlight and stop at night.

OS OK
03-14-2016, 09:33 AM
I just finished off a supply of Unique that I bought somewhere in the early 80's. Never stored it in any special way other than in a cool dry place without 'temperature extremes'. The screw on lids are sufficient to seal the containers. My bulk stays in the barn in an old job box where it is shaded all day but otherwise open to the air.
I like your refrigerator idea…never thought of that! I see free ones all the time around here.
You just turned my light bulb on…thanks.

edrw
03-15-2016, 05:12 PM
Are there any legalities concerning storage of powder in a residence? I read the other day that someone was arrested in Dallas for improper storage of gun powder.

Petrol & Powder
03-15-2016, 10:05 PM
ARRESTED ? ....for improper storage of powder? I'm going to call BS on the face of that.
Maybe a summons for some minor fire code violation but I seriously doubt someone is going to end up in handcuffs. Not to mention, how would they know how much powder you were storing?

Wayne Smith
03-16-2016, 09:24 AM
I have an old refrigerator in the garage. It contains extra powder, primers, beer, and my extra smoked cheese. I keep use primers and powder in my reloading/gun room, climate controlled.

mold maker
03-16-2016, 01:14 PM
Most of my finished ammo is in a dead upright freezer. All of my powder and primers are in a dead fridg. Both reside in the basement where temp. swings are more seasonal than daily peaks. I have powder and primers from the 70s that still perform as expected.

OS OK
03-17-2016, 08:43 AM
ARRESTED?…That doesn't surprise me…all the gun laws constantly chipping at our rights and freedoms anymore…Next thing they will want to do is regulate us handloaders…handling poisonous lead, flammable powders and explosive primers…They'll end up wanting us regulated like 'Hazmat' workers!

Petrol & Powder
03-17-2016, 09:49 AM
ARRESTED?…That doesn't surprise me…all the gun laws constantly chipping at our rights and freedoms anymore…Next thing they will want to do is regulate us handloaders…handling poisonous lead, flammable powders and explosive primers…They'll end up wanting us regulated like 'Hazmat' workers!

Arrested is a bit of hyperbole. It makes for a good story at a gun store counter but I seriously doubt some homeowner got put in handcuffs and taken into custody for legally possessing powder. A summons for some type of minor fire code violation;.... I could believe that, but arrested? NOPE, didn't happen.

I also have to question how said violation would come to the attention of a fire marshal? How about the gasoline stored in your garage? Are you worried that the government is going to arrest you for using an improper container or having too many containers?

As responsible gun owners, reloaders, casters; we come under some scrutiny from the anti-gun, bedwetting liberals that are afraid of all things "gun like". We don't need to add to that scrutiny by helping to spread the unrealistic fear that they feel.

DerekP Houston
03-17-2016, 10:18 AM
I assumed having over the fire code limit would simply mean your homeowners insurance would have a legal out for not paying. Same as storing oily rags, solvents, gasoline, etc in my book. Don't keep them near an open flame/heat source. I split my stockpile out and put the bulk jugs away in the gun safe. Temp/Humidity controlled and out of sight until I use up the smaller 1lb jugs. I have some 3/4" ply in the garage unused, I might fashion a storage cabinet out of it just to be on the safe side.

I saw a note about storing primers and powders separately but even the stores I visit they are on the same shelf....

OS OK
03-17-2016, 01:03 PM
I read carefully, years ago the paper tag insert that came in a shipment of powder that the warning was printed on…'warning combustible', I think it said. It went on further to add the NFPA suggestions for storage lockers. (Nation Fire Protection Agency) even the NEC (National Electrical Code) that I have lived by all my career is written by them.
Anyway, it suggest that the locker be made of wood, 1" thick, and that it be constructed in such a manner that it will not cause burning powder to build pressure and explode…as in a metal ammo box w/ latched lid…for example.
It suggested not storing primers and powder in the same 'enclosure' also. Pick a cool dry place to store said locker, etc.
I thought the suggestion of using an old refrigerator/freezer was an excellent idea…their doors are flimsy enough, excluding the real old ones that actually had latches…they wouldn't cause pressure to rise and they by design would keep things cool and dry.

runfiverun
03-17-2016, 04:19 PM
the regulations should be easily found on the NFPA website or maybe even in the front [or pull out flyer] of the reloading data manuals like alliant will mail to you for free.
they tell you how to safely [fire reg's] store powder and the primers come with the same documentation if you buy them by the sleeve.

Hick
03-18-2016, 12:10 AM
I suspect this is already somewhere in the site-- but the attached is from SAAMI and includes info on proper storage of powder (including what is OK in a residence). Of course, it won't do any good against new liberal ideas

Shiloh
03-18-2016, 07:09 PM
Seems like some of the southern casters/shooters/reloaders here on the board keeps there powder and primers in a refrigerator.
The suggestion of a coleman cooler on the floor would be good as well. Cool, dry, constant is best. make the best of what you have. A concrete floor seems to always be cooler that the air.

Shiloh

country gent
03-18-2016, 08:40 PM
We have used old refrigerators for smokers ( the newer ones are no good for this anymore due to amount of plastic in them), storage of welding rods ( Add a light socket and 20 wat bulb burning keeps moisture out and rods dry), and other dry storage needs. A newer refridgerator should work nicely for powder storage set up so it a protects from heat and external fires, dosnt allow pressures to build up if there is a problem. A small cooling unit or the refriderators unit could be set to 60* to maintain constant temp also. Shelves could be "lined with 1" thick pine boards or plywood to seperate each shelf from the others and stiffen the existing shelves some. A little work and the freezer portion could be used for primers some what seperated from the powder area. Depending size needed a dorm size might even fit under your bench out of the way.