PDA

View Full Version : trailer towin'

Beerd
03-13-2016, 10:29 PM
I've seen guys with a pickup towing a camper with a boat hitched behind.
Looks to be kind of squirrely, especially in a cross wind.
And how does he back up?

Any opinions of a setup like that?

leadman
03-13-2016, 10:37 PM
Some states allow it, others don't. Some require the first towed trailer be on a fifth wheel set-up. Most towing a couple of trailers unhook the rear most trailer then back up the first towed trailer where they want it, then hook up the former second towed and put it where the want it. The overall length of the set-up has to be considered also but I'm not up on the regulations so will not advise on them.
I have backed up double semi trailers before but it take me awhile to learn to do it. We had one guy at Yellow Freight that could back up triples.

Tenbender
03-13-2016, 10:55 PM
I was a piggybacker . Delivered semi tractors decked up 3 at a time. Backing only a few feet was a pain. They do walk around behind you. When I started towing trucks I ask the mfg. " Volvo " what to do when you see them whipping around. The answer I got was " Don't look at them ". lol

prestonj12
03-13-2016, 11:11 PM
I did it with a drift boat and an ATV trailer behind my TT (not at the same time). Idaho allows it. Wasn't squirrelly at all. Long for sure. Had to pay attention to which gas station you choose for egress. Backing wasn't done at all. I'd disconnect the second trailer, push it out of the way and deal with it later. Drift boat is light enough to push around by hand. And the ATV trailer simply got pulled by one of the ATVs. Don't do it anymore as I bought a toy hauler. ATVs go inside and the drift boat should fit inside. Haven't tried it yet, but the tape measure says it'll work.

DougGuy
03-13-2016, 11:20 PM
The COOLEST thing I have seen to get a big RV, a smaller second vehicle AND a boat, all down the road safely at once, we saw a HUGE RV, one of them bigass tour bus looking things, and the guy was pulling a converted Nissan pickup truck into a boat trailer that you actually drive around in, and back down the boat ramp to launch the boat. Wish I had gotten a pic, this thing was the shizz man I am telling you..

smokeywolf
03-14-2016, 12:25 AM
In Kali you can pull doubles if your semi trailer (the one behind your tractor (truck)) is a fifth wheel. Your pull trailer (the one behind your semi trailer) can be attached by ball hitch or pintle hook.

Backing up doubles? I've seen a few guys who were nothing short of magicians. The four or five times I tried it I backed about 30 feet and ended up looking out the windshield at my pull trailer.

bearcove
03-14-2016, 08:54 PM
I come from a farm background and a 4 wheel wagon can be entertaining. My uncles use to drink beer after we had the hay up, and tandem them and see who could put it in the barn. Lot easier hooked to the front of tractor.

Geezer in NH
03-14-2016, 09:08 PM
Idiot's IMHO

bearcove
03-14-2016, 10:00 PM
They tow just fine. Why would they be an idiot to want to bring a camper and a boat. Only an idiot would want to leave one at home. IMHO!!!

MUSTANG
03-14-2016, 10:08 PM
Here in the USA we are amateurs at hauling. The guys and gals Down Under are who you should ask for advice.

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia-cache-ec0.pinimg.com%2F736x%2F87%2Fe7%2Fa0%2F87e7a0c7dab 378414d2933bec77ba074.jpg&f=1

waksupi
03-14-2016, 11:16 PM
I solved the problem by building a teardrop trailer, and putting a canoe on top of the pick up. Still not a good combination for wind on the east side, so you have to pay attention and park some times.

rr2241tx
03-15-2016, 12:37 PM
That road train is freaking awesome! Like to see the DPS scale operator's face if they pulled one over for weight check.

ghh3rd
03-15-2016, 01:03 PM
I solved the problem by building a teardrop trailer, and putting a canoe on top of the pick up. Still not a good combination for wind on the east side, so you have to pay attention and park some times.

Waksupi - I only recently saw my first tear drop trailer, and became instantly enamored by it. I'd like to build one someday myself.

leadman
03-15-2016, 02:32 PM
A guy used to bring a large motor home with a large enclosed trailer to Roosevelt Lake. He had one of the small Blazers on the bottom deck of the trailer that he would back out and then lower the bass boat from the top rack via hydraulic lift, back up the Blazer and pull the boat out. Don't know what he did for a living but his buddy owned the Cadillac dealership in Phoenix.

waksupi
03-15-2016, 03:59 PM
Waksupi - I only recently saw my first tear drop trailer, and became instantly enamored by it. I'd like to build one someday myself.

This is what I ended up with, with minimal tools.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?258913-My-latest-project

DerekP Houston
03-15-2016, 04:08 PM
This is what I ended up with, with minimal tools.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?258913-My-latest-project

That is exactly the canned ham type pull behind I've been drooling over! Awesome job, hope you have a bunch of fun in it.

Plate plinker
03-15-2016, 06:53 PM
I come from a farm background and a 4 wheel wagon can be entertaining. My uncles use to drink beer after we had the hay up, and tandem them and see who could put it in the barn. Lot easier hooked to the front of tractor.

Grandpa did triple wagons. Nobody else could do better than a double. Takes patiences and a steady hand. He had both. His son my uncle tells a story about joining the operators union in California. They sent him out to the desert to learn to drive semi rig, which he never had done, so he is the first student gets in the rig and the teacher tells him to back the rig into a slot. Okay he said first shot right on in. Instructor jumps out said great now you can teach the rest of the idiots to do it.:groner: Guess you can do a little to good.

ghh3rd
03-20-2016, 08:31 PM
waksupi - I followed the link and you did an amazing job on your trailer. Building one is now on my list to do 'someday' :-)

waksupi
03-20-2016, 10:03 PM
waksupi - I followed the link and you did an amazing job on your trailer. Building one is now on my list to do 'someday' :-)

They are easy to build. Even this neanderthal did it!

TXGunNut
03-20-2016, 11:31 PM
I hate pulling trailers but it damn sure beats trying to push them.

Beerd
03-21-2016, 04:40 PM
Good point.
Not very helpfull, but good point anyway :)

TXGunNut
03-21-2016, 10:25 PM
Good point.
Not very helpfull, but good point anyway :)

Sorry, but I really do hate pulling trailers. ;-) Had a neighbor growing up that had some type of rack on top of his truck that he'd "park" his boat & trailer on and he'd hook his camper to the bumper of his truck. I've heard tournament fishermen will haul a spare boat in a similar manner sometimes.

Bzcraig
03-21-2016, 11:12 PM
In Kali you can pull doubles if your semi trailer (the one behind your tractor (truck)) is a fifth wheel. Your pull trailer (the one behind your semi trailer) can be attached by ball hitch or pintle hook.

Backing up doubles? I've seen a few guys who were nothing short of magicians. The four or five times I tried it I backed about 30 feet and ended up looking out the windshield at my pull trailer.

I pulled a 5th wheel RV with the ATVs on a trailer behind it. It did require a CDL sans the air brake endorsement and I'll bet I spend a solid 8 hours on the phone talking to different agencies to get that info. The really goofy part was when I took the driving test I could only bring one trailer (thought the 5th wheel was in order) and was told during the test I could've brought the utility trailer. I never even tried to back more than a few feet. I never had a problem while towing.