PDA

View Full Version : S&W M1917 DA 45 Value as a buyer?

tbx-4
03-13-2016, 08:21 PM
A friend has a Smith and Wesson M1917 double action 45 ACP revolver in decent shape... Given the photos below what price range as a buyer would it be worth offering for it.

We all want good deals but this is a friend of the family and I really like it and wouldn't mind going a little on the high side to get it.

http://i.imgur.com/gbCI3Yl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/cPPWyyl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/DzBcytN.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/SW6OeXi.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/GqdP1NP.jpg

Outpost75
03-13-2016, 08:34 PM
An original and unmodified M1917 in VG+ to Excellent condition, which times and indexes well, has strong, sharp rifling, mostly bright bore with no more than light frosting from past use of corrosive primers, will bring from $750-$1000 at auction. If accompanied by original kit, historical records, photos or provenance which would interest a collector of militaria, you might potentially double that.

If unfamiliar with revolvers, I would recommend professional gunsmith inspection, assessment and appraisal to ensure that you get a safe shooter and your friend gets current fair market price.

square butte
03-13-2016, 09:09 PM
Non original grip panels will deduct from an original condition price. Your grip panel are not correct

tbx-4
03-13-2016, 09:30 PM
Outpost,
that seems a bit on the high side from the Gunbroker auctions at the moment. Only a couple are going that high most are about half that have been bid on and a lot are going unbid period. Quite a few listed too.

Square,
I noted the later grips as well. Still not a bad looking gun. Tomorrow we plan on getting together so I can put an eyeball on it.

I'm thinking $650 range at the moment.

Der Gebirgsjager
03-13-2016, 10:48 PM
I'm going to have to back up Outpost75's opinion on this. The finish is very nice for a 1917, and except for the grips it is definitely in the upper price range. I have a couple of the Colt 1917s and neither has the original grips. They are extremely hard to come by, but there are some very good replicas available in the $40-65 price range. I also have a post war S&W 1917 made in the 1920s and it does have checkered walnut grips, but they are of the style where the top of the grip followed the curve of the frame. Yours are of the "Magna" type and of later manufacture. Nice looking gun--I'd grab it and worry about the grips later if I cared.

Outpost75
03-13-2016, 10:59 PM
I have a set of serviceable.original M1917 S&W grips which I would trade even for a set of VG+ N- frame Magna service stocks, not the later "coke bottle" grips. Also have WW2-era Tyler T-grip for M1917 in serviceable used condition I would trade even for a set of Magna N frame service stocks or sell for $25 shipped small FRB to your door. Here are what they look like.

Scharfschuetze
03-13-2016, 11:01 PM
Looks very nice and those Magna grips will make it less painful when shooting than the abbreviated GI grips.

Original grips will look like this:

tbx-4
03-13-2016, 11:21 PM
I'm concerned about it being reblued because of the newer grips and the roll stamped lettering is filled in with white paint. What's the best way to tell if it's reblued?

tbx-4
03-13-2016, 11:23 PM
Oh, and no moon clips come with it.

Frank46
03-14-2016, 01:20 AM
Check the serial numbers on the butt of the frame, underside of the barrel above the ejector pin, back of the cylinder and push the extractor back so's you can do the same check for matching numbers. Should match in all the places I've mentioned. If the grips were original ones usually on one or the other the serial number was either stamped on the wood or inscribed with a pencil. I would suggest that if all numbers are matching you are looking at $900 to 1K for a nice 1917. I have a Brazilian fron the 1st contract run dated 1937 and when they blued it they did so over the fine pitting. Almost looks like it was bead blasted. Shoots good and fun as well. For moon clips get the ones by RIMZ. They are polymer and no fooling around with mooners and de-mooning tools. A little file work is needed to remove the little nubs where they fit over the extractor. Takes about a minute or so to do one clip. Frank

StrawHat
03-14-2016, 08:02 AM
The pin on the barrel lug is protruding quite a bit. Was the cylinder not fully closed when photographed?

Otherwise, it is a good looking revolver that does not look to have been overpolished, IF it was refinished.

Kevin

MakeMineLead
03-14-2016, 03:34 PM
The original finish is a semi-gloss blue.

This is looks like an old (civilian) re-blue w/ Model 28 grips. When the Army repaired and or refinished them, they were light-gray parkerized.

If if it indexes well, locks up tight, and the throat / bore are good...jump on it!

They shoot cast cast boolits extremely well.

tbx-4
03-15-2016, 12:09 AM
Well, got to look at it real close... Don't look reblued and it's not a high gloss either so I think it's original. The roll stamp lettering is gold not white? All The numbers match too. A light holster wear around the muzzle and top of rear sight and a couple light rough spots on the frame. Otherwise it looks real good.

Cleaned the barrel and cylinder, it's been sitting for a long time and not fired, and it's bright and shiny with crisp rifling.

He thought it was worth $500 so I gave him $550.

Here is a close up of the right side.
http://i.imgur.com/NsVVKpw.jpg

And next to it's younger cousin, the Model 10-8.
http://i.imgur.com/Sq4P3YA.jpg

How'd I do?

ddixie884
03-15-2016, 12:33 AM
I'd say, pretty well.

Scharfschuetze
03-15-2016, 02:26 AM
Yep, it should provide you with well over $550 worth of fun. Just got to love old S&Ws.

StrawHat
03-15-2016, 06:44 AM
163602You did well. It should provide many years of enjoyment for you. I have several and like them all.

Moon clips are available from several sources. I get mine from the folks who make them.

http://www.ranchproducts.com/index-2.html

A bit old fashioned, they stand behind their product, but nice to deal with.

The polymer clips are new and while I have not used them, they are getting good reviews.

http://www.ezmoonclip.com/

I keep my reloads at or below hardball. If using boolits, it may take a while to dial in a load recipe that won't lead.

Kevin

tim338
03-15-2016, 07:14 AM
$550 is a great buy. I have been watching them for a few months on the auction sites as I want one and yours is in great condition. Even without the correct grips it's worth $850+ from the prices I am seeing.

TenTea
03-15-2016, 07:31 AM
Despite not being original to the revolver, N-frame diamond magna grips, in excellent condition are increasingly scarce and bring a good buck nowadays...

Enjoy your new S&W!
In addition to some fullmoon clips, you might consider some .45 AutoRim brass too.

tbx-4
03-15-2016, 10:49 PM
Guys,
Thanks for the advice and comments.
Now I just need to pick up some 45 acp...

StrawHat
03-16-2016, 07:25 AM
Guys,
Thanks for the advice and comments.
Now I just need to pick up some 45 acp...

That revolver will also use the 45 Auto Rim (45AR) cartridge and with those, you do not need to use the moon clips.

Kevin

Dale53
03-20-2016, 11:35 PM
I have two S&W Model 625's that I shoot regularly. I cast my own bullets and reload (of course:bigsmyl2:). I regularly use Rimz clips with perfect satisfaction and you do NOT need tools. Be sure and specify which exact model you have as the clips come in more than one size.

You will probably benefit from using 230 grain bullets so they will shoot to the sights. I favor the Lee 230 gr. Cast truncated cone. It not only shoots well in my revovers it loads extremely fast with moon clips. Plus the flat nose is much more effective than hardball.

Just a thought or two...

Dale53

Scharfschuetze
03-21-2016, 08:21 AM
I'm in the process of loading up all my 45 ACP brass while the weather is still iffy. We had a nice day last week so I grabbed some 45s (1911 & 1917) and went to the range to test a new load out. This Smith wears a modified set of old S&W target grips for double action shooting. The target is a half scale version of the B-27 police target and appears to the shooter to be at twice the range as the full size B-27. It's a lot cheaper than buying the full size B-27s.

Here is roughly 50 rounds on target, all double action and rapid fire from a Weaver stance at 15 yards (45 feet). The old gun still shoots pretty well!

StrawHat
03-22-2016, 06:55 AM
All in the nine ring save one, good shooting in my book, and on a reduced B27, (and that one 8 might actually be cutting the line). Even at 45 feet that is good. Was taht one recipe or several that all went to the same point?

Kevin

Scharfschuetze
03-22-2016, 01:54 PM
All in the nine ring save one, good shooting in my book, and on a reduced B27, (and that one 8 might actually be cutting the line). Even at 45 feet that is good. Was taht one recipe or several that all went to the same point?

Kevin

You know a little about this! The load was a 200 grain RNSWC over 5.5 grains of HP 38 powder. I had to hold high (center of the 9 ring) to center up in the middle. 230 grain boolits mimicking the service load shoot to point of aim. This RNSWC is a new boolit design for me and it was primarily loaded for my 1911 Colt. Still, it shoots pretty well in the old War Horse.

StrawHat
03-23-2016, 06:53 AM
I shot a few rounds of PPC so I am familiar with the B27 and reduced version. Several leagues only used the reduced target but at the standard distances. Made it a bit more challenging but still a lot of fun. It did require a recalibration of the sights for drop but easily handled.

I am not familiar with the 200 grain RNSWC, who does that one? Got a picture?

Kevin

Outpost75
03-23-2016, 09:53 AM
...I am not familiar with the 200 grain RNSWC, who does that one? Got a picture?

Not positive, but I think he is talking about #452460

Scharfschuetze
03-24-2016, 12:43 AM
I'm not sure what the mould number is, if there is one. I bought a bunch of 'em from a one man commercial casting operation perhaps 20 years ago and I've been shooting them off and on since. Just loaded my last couple of hundred of them last week.

I really enjoyed shooting the PPC course of fire, although not as much as the IPSC and other combat courses. I was on the department's pistol team for close on 10 years. I averaged in the 1480s with my PPC S&W revolver on the full PPC course through 50 yards.

Ricochet
03-29-2016, 08:46 PM
That is a fine looking revolver! The heavy barreled Model 10 is nice, too!